Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

I do wonder however why Collingwood are so quick to get rid of him.  they have gotten by with Cox and Cameron but both are serviceable at best with on odd great game. Grundy is top 2 in the league when firing. Yes he is costly but you'd think they would try and get him up and going for at least next year

Edited by Bates Mate

As you all know we are a near certainty to get Grundy next season.  The only question is the trade required and the salary off take by Collingwood.  With Geelong reportedly out on the race the Dees are the sole interested party and maybe able to achieve a 2nd round pick.  If not a late first round will do it.  Reports of $300k paid by Collingwood seem around the mark.

I am rapped to be getting Grundy at this price.  In the short term (next 1 - 3 seasons Flag Window) Grundy is a significant step-up from Jackson playing a similar role.  More importantly the acquisition of Grundy will leave significant trading or draft opportunity for us.  Never will Jacksons value be higher. He is 20yo recruited with pick 3 in the 2019 draft, has played 50 games including 6 finals and a GF, is a Rising Star winner and a Premiership star. He is the most versatile and aerobic 200+cm player ever to play our game. He has 15 years of AFL infront of him.

The issue people have is with our forwardline.  People forget that this was a Premiership forwardline just 12 months ago.  It has become clear we have been playing Brown, Fritch injured, we have also missed TMAC. With JVR coming in next season and with a return to fitness of Brown, Fritch and TMAC I feel our forward stocks are fine particularly when I consider that there are no key position forwards that are likely to be better than Brown and TMAC in the market.

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

It’s not that I don’t want or rate Grundy, I don’t want us to give up a first rounder for a 29yr old whose position is not the biggest need for us. 

This!!!!!!!!  Plus despite Collingwood paying some of his salary it will still be significant money that we should be investing elsewhere. We are also doing a rival in Collingwood that has gone past us this year a favour by assisting them in getting rid of a player that is not required and is a massive salary dump to help them keep De Goey and bring in others to make them better. No thanks. 
Our ruck stocks are obviously now thin but I would much rather a cheaper, younger ruck, without the injury issues that can play a role.

Edited by Dee Viney Intervention
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

This!!!!!!!!  Plus despite Collingwood paying some of his salary it will still be significant money that we should be investing elsewhere. We are also doing a rival in Collingwood that has gone past us this year a favour by assisting them in getting rid of a player that is not required and is a massive salary dump to help them keep De Goey and bring in others to make them better. No thanks. 
Our ruck stocks are obviously now thin but I would much rather a cheaper, younger ruck, without the injury issues that can play a role.

I would much rather us win premierships.  Our window is currently open. Our time is NOW! Grundy is a superstar when fit. He will make us a far better team and will not cost us more than about pick 20. He is currently 28 will be 29 next seasons so still should have a few good seasons in him.  

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

I would much rather us win premierships.  Our window is currently open. Are time is NOW! Grundy is a superstar when fit. He will make us a far better team and will not cost us more than about pick 20. He is currently 28 will be 29 next seasons so still should have a few good seasons in him.  

FWIW I wouldn’t mind seeing us win a premiership live too. I also agree with you that our window is still open. I also agree with you that Grundy WAS a superstar, 2nd best ruck in the game behind Gawn but I also think he has been underwhelming since signing his mega contract. I also don’t think our rucks were our weakness this year. Would rather invest salary cap and draft capital in areas that we need to strengthen and get a young ( not draftee ) ruck to give Gawn a chop out when needed. Each to their own though.

• Like 1

Is he a smart tap ruck - no, the pies consistently struggled to get value from his taps

Can he play forward - no

Does he take a lot of contested marks around the ground - not really

Is he so skilled that his habit of racking up a huge amount of the ball really is useful - no.

Honestly I worry we’ve been seduced by the desire to replace Jackson and the fantasy of Gawn up forward rather admitting we need a back up ruck and a forward who can pinch hit in the ruck. Plus  a genuine key forward solution. Instead of making 3 moves to fix 3 problems we’re going all in on Grundy.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I rate Grundy, but he has to have no injury concerns, as he has hardly got on the park in recent years and i dont want a liability.

3 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

I rate Grundy, but he has to have no injury concerns, as he has hardly got on the park in recent years

Now, that's simply not true.  These are the number of games Grundy has played since joining Collingwood.

2013 (his first year) - 7, followed by 15, 19, 21, 20, 26, 24, 19 and 20.  That's consistency.

This year (6 games) is the only year he's missed for any length of time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Now, that's simply not true.  These are the number of games Grundy has played since joining Collingwood.

2013 (his first year) - 7, followed by 15, 19, 21, 20, 26, 24, 19 and 20.  That's consistency.

This year (6 games) is the only year he's missed for any length of time.

Well he hasn’t made an impact in a long time anyway.

What was the injury keeping him out this year?

4 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

It’s not that I don’t want or rate Grundy, I don’t want us to give up a first rounder for a 29yr old whose position is not the biggest need for us. 

We won’t give up a first rounder for him. We will give up a second rounder, and the higher the number the more Collingwood has to pay of his salary. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

He was sixth in their Best & Fairest last year.  

You are allowed to do a little research before posting, Dee Zee.  "Google it mate' is the expression du jour I believe.

I’m sorry i was just asking the question no need for the smug tone champ

• Haha 1

Grundy’s been a great ruckman for a long time, and he’s 28.

The club has built its list around 2 ruckman - so much so they picked a ruckman at pick 3 in the draft 3 yeas ago, which at the time seemed insane.

Grundy isn’t being brought in to solve the problem of what we didn’t have this year. Instead he’s coming on to solve the issue of what we just lost (Jackson).

In losing Luke we might further gain the ability to ALSO trade in a key forward. We don’t know yet. May wasn’t coming until the last moment when we convinced him too. Let’s just see whose out there, but let’s also consciously plug the holes we know we can fill now.

• Like 3