Nascent

4 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Ashcroft is the standout this year and then there are a whole bunch that are even keel.

Giving up pick 13, Feo's FF and our FF for pick 2 would be ludicrous for that ^ reason as well as the fact that next year's top 10 are considered stronger.

It’s all academic now but if a key forward prospect is rock solid and a fit then I reckon you go get them. 3 firsts is too many but the Jackson package - 2 firsts and a 2nd, I think we would’ve done it if we rated Cadman.

Cadman looks like Roughead to me. I wouldn’t hang out waiting for someone better if you can get a legit number 1 key forward. 

GWS have gone and pulled the trigger. I think it’s a good move.

10 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

It’s all academic now but if a key forward prospect is rock solid and a fit then I reckon you go get them. 3 firsts is too many but the Jackson package - 2 firsts and a 2nd, I think we would’ve done it if we rated Cadman.

Cadman looks like Roughead to me. I wouldn’t hang out waiting for someone better if you can get a legit number 1 key forward. 

GWS have gone and pulled the trigger. I think it’s a good move.

He'll be playing for Geelong in a few years.

No the trading rules have to change, the players have to much power at the moment, what should happen is if a player wants out the club can negotiate a way back home, but if that club stalls and better offers are given then bad luck he gets traded there, clubs would soon bargain in good faith from the outset and the player would no it wont be an easy way home.

34 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Ok so to get Cadman… what can we offer

MFC offer GWS the compo we got for LJ … 2022 pick 13, Freo future 1st, Freo future 2nd, & maybe a player (Spargo?)

for pick 1

Cadman is not the best player in this draft and it's arguable that he's top 5 so it'd be a ridiculously silly move to trade all those picks out for pick 1 this year.

Yes he's good. And at 18's level has shown to be the best key. Not by a lot though.

I think we just stick with 13 and then hit next year with some aggressive pick trading.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Cadman is not the best player in this draft and it's arguable that he's top 5 so it'd be a ridiculously silly move to trade all those picks out for pick 1 this year.

Yes he's good. And at 18's level has shown to be the best key. Not by a lot though.

I think we just stick with 13 and then hit next year with some aggressive pick trading.

Agree 'Jimmy'...you have to spread your risk.

Anything can happen to derail a players career.

Think McCartin and concussion...O'Meara looked was a generational talent when drafted, injury has cut him down to being a good ordinary footballer. Daniher & Hogan, the experts & fans were arguing over who would be the best out of these 2 future greats...Rowell looked like a Brownlow medallist in his first season until injury cut him down...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rjay said:

Agree 'Jimmy'...you have to spread your risk.

Anything can happen to derail a players career.

Think McCartin and concussion...O'Meara looked was a generational talent when drafted, injury has cut him down to being a good ordinary footballer. Daniher & Hogan, the experts & fans were arguing over who would be the best out of these 2 future greats...Rowell looked like a Brownlow medallist in his first season until injury cut him down...

That's right, never smart to go all eggs in the one draftee basket. 

Yes GWS have many many picks and plenty of baskets. Simply GWS would be crazy not to pick him with the first pick. Showing all the signs of a future elite forward. An amazing resemblance in footy smarts, playing style and attributes (including kicking) to Jeremy Cameron. I just think Cadman is worth it, and the best young forward to come along in a while. 

4 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes GWS have many many picks and plenty of baskets. Simply GWS would be crazy not to pick him with the first pick. Showing all the signs of a future elite forward. An amazing resemblance in footy smarts, playing style and attributes (including kicking) to Jeremy Cameron. I just think Cadman is worth it, and the best young forward to come along in a while. 

GWS just paid a big price to trade up to 1 to take Cadman.

• Like 2

I think a few on here have tended to forget how good our list is already, if completely fit.

Throw in Grundy AA , JVR , and maybe Howes for next season , pus our draft picks on top of that  and it seems we are chugging along ok.

Just like us to get on the front foot with Kozzie and his management for an early recommitment decision. Recurrence of the fingernail biting all year and subsequent recent Fremantle  trade to be avoided next season.

Why not time bound decision? If nothing by  say QB ,past precedent probably suggests departure imminent. 

If so we could really gather a few first rounders for 2023  to shake the trading season up a bit and ensure a long term succession plan.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

I'm all for trading up to pick 1 for a stand-out player who has destroyed it at state level and someone you can build your club around.

But Cadman is not that player. And we are not in that 'phase' as a club. 

To play devil's advocate, I'd argue we're at a stage where we can take a bit of a risk on a KPF (if we think he's talented enough) as we already have some certainty in our match winners (Oliver, Petracca, Fritsch, Kozzy, May and Lever).

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:31 AM, A F said:

To play devil's advocate, I'd argue we're at a stage where we can take a bit of a risk on a KPF (if we think he's talented enough) as we already have some certainty in our match winners (Oliver, Petracca, Fritsch, Kozzy, May and Lever).

It's not really devil's advocate. 

There's risk and there's risk. 

Every trade and draft pick has an element of risk. 

I'm simply talking about the trade that @spirit of norm smithput forward which sees us giving away far too much for pick 1 in a draft where the stand-out player is a mid and is gone. 

And as good as Cadman looks, I'm not sure one can say he's streets ahead of the other key forwards in this years draft. 

The risk is too great for that imo and if you take a look at the best key forwards around the comp, only a small percentage would have been taken in the top 3.

Off the top of my head none of Hawkins, J Cameron, Curnow, McKay, Larkey, Wright, King brothers were even top 5 etc. There'd be plenty more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old55 said:

GWS just paid a big price to trade up to 1 to take Cadman.

They did and they didn’t. Given they had picks 3, 12, 15, 18, 19 and simply can’t keep drafting midfielders, back flankers or probably even key defenders they had to do what was required to get a key forward. No one’s trading them or letting one go as a free agent. They would’ve put the same interest/offer to Harry McKay as we did I bet. They’ve sacrificed a pick 12 to hopefully solve a huge list need.

Cadman’s good enough for us to put 2 late firsts on the table. But probably not 3 firsts.

And GWS really should bid on Ashcroft with pick 1 and take the pressure off the poor kid but it looks like they won’t do that given they did a trade with Brisbane.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

They did and they didn’t. Given they had picks 3, 12, 15, 18, 19 and simply can’t keep drafting midfielders, back flankers or probably even key defenders they had to do what was required to get a key forward. No one’s trading them or letting one go as a free agent. They would’ve put the same interest/offer to Harry McKay as we did I bet. They’ve sacrificed a pick 12 to hopefully solve a huge list need.

Cadman’s good enough for us to put 2 late firsts on the table. But probably not 3 firsts.

And GWS really should bid on Ashcroft with pick 1 and take the pressure off the poor kid but it looks like they won’t do that given they did a trade with Brisbane.

Yes I agree it's the right call for them, country boy possibly less likely to "go home" too.

And yes they should bid Ashcroft.  It was a joke that Daicos wasn't bid until 4 last year.

I was more addressing @spirit of norm smith musing that we could trade up to get 1 off GWS - that is dreamland talk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

No chance of getting Aaron Cadman now.

The next best option is Matthew Jefferson from the Oakleigh Chargers.

We can let him develop at the Casey Demons in the VFL for a year or two until he is ready for AFL level.

Jefferson will need some heavy sessions in the gym if we decide to pick him, our window could be closed by the time he puts on some muscle

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

No chance of getting Aaron Cadman now.

The next best option is Matthew Jefferson from the Oakleigh Chargers.

We can let him develop at the Casey Demons in the VFL gym for a year or two until he is ready for AFL level.

Fixed that for you. By the time his body is AFL ready in a few years our premiership window will likely be closed unless we can become Geelong/Richmond and just land endless quality trade requests to stay in the hunt. 

• Like 2

Even if we did draft Cadman, by the time he's hitting his straps the rest of our talls will be on the edge of retirement. He won't make an immediate impact, so I'd definitely be waiting till next years better quality draft. 

Edited by MrFreeze

Cadman is now an absolute certainty to be taken with GWS pick one but he was outside the top 10 in most of the early season power rankings while people were hot for key position prospects like Lemmey and Scully of SA and Jefferson of Vic Metro. He could be the best key position prospects but who knows how he would go if the Giants throw him into the heat of battle early?

Well we will be able to get a good look at for 12 months and then decide. We now know, people of that vintage with high credentials ( once in a generation player, rising star even) are worth two first rounders and a second .