Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

There's no evidence of this "loading" thing.

There is inside mail on here all the time, but not one post from someone professing to know for sure that the training loads have increased.

I suppose we may never know for sure, and if we get better as the year goes on we may look back and confirm the suspicion now, but in the absence of good evidence/mail on it, I'm hardly inclined to accept it just because we happen to look a bit tired right now.

I mean, we had a few ill players last week and this week brought in five new players, three of whom were coming back from injury and three of whom hadn't played at the top level for a long time (M Brown, Salem, Tomlinson). Coupled with a physically intense match, perhaps that explains the perceived slowdown?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

I would suggest really strongly that the number 1 KPI for key forwards in a team like ours is to simply not get outmarked, and the stats you've supplied really show that the other stuff is pretty close between the two, so it's a fairly easy decision to persist with the forward who doesn't get outmarked, and clearly has upside as his form returns.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I would suggest really strongly that the number 1 KPI for key forwards in a team like ours is to simply not get outmarked, and the stats you've supplied really show that the other stuff is pretty close between the two, so it's a fairly easy decision to persist with the forward who doesn't get outmarked, and clearly has upside as his form returns.

I get you don't rate Weideman, and personally I don't think he's shown very much this year either, but Brown was being repeatedly outmarked last night. So you're not really on great ground going down that road right now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, monoccular said:

I don’t know who we have but the last two weeks we have been comprehensively outmarked both in defence and up forward.  
Turner is listed at 194 cm but how is his spoil and leap?  If so could he relieve Petty to go forward for either Brown. 

And can someone list the players who missed with covid a month or 6 weeks back?  As I recall Bbb and Jackson were amongst them - have they fully recovered?  

Last 2 weeks Turner has looked outstanding in the VFL...actually looks a bit like a May clone,...Sure hands in marking, outbodies opponents, great spoil when behind.  I would be swapping Tomlinson for him this week.  Deserves a chance sooner rather than later imo...you can't have enough good big guys.  He is a very neat disposal of the ball also, definitely one to keep an eye on! Looks ready.

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

I get you don't rate Weideman, and personally I don't think he's shown very much this year either, but Brown was being repeatedly outmarked last night. So you're not really on great ground going down that road right now.

i don't personally remember a single occasion of Brown being outmarked one out, i may be wrong, but from memory the McCartins took a lot of marks in pack scenarios where blocks were provided, 

I think those situations speak a lot more to poor forward structure than anything else.

• Thinking 1

Just now, Dwight Schrute said:

i don't personally remember a single occasion of Brown being outmarked one out, i may be wrong, but from memory the McCartins took a lot of marks in pack scenarios where blocks were provided, 

I think those situations speak a lot more to poor forward structure than anything else.

Brown didn’t get to enough contests and didn’t bring the ball to ground enough. Not many one on ones but he needs to deal with this

Just now, DubDee said:

Brown didn’t get to enough contests and didn’t bring the ball to ground enough. Not many one on ones but he needs to deal with this

i'm sure a component of Browns form is him not getting to the right spots, as well as a really poor forward structure, as well as diabolically kicks inside 50

we seem to have reverted back to the bomb it long and hope Max or Fritsch takes a screamer.

9 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

There's no evidence of this "loading" thing.

There is inside mail on here all the time, but not one post from someone professing to know for sure that the training loads have increased.

I suppose we may never know for sure, and if we get better as the year goes on we may look back and confirm the suspicion now, but in the absence of good evidence/mail on it, I'm hardly inclined to accept it just because we happen to look a bit tired right now.

I mean, we had a few ill players last week and this week brought in five new players, three of whom were coming back from injury and three of whom hadn't played at the top level for a long time (M Brown, Salem, Tomlinson). Coupled with a physically intense match, perhaps that explains the perceived slowdown?

I would suggest we aren't in a loading phase at the moment. Makes little to no sense to be doing that now so far out from finals. I suspect that our loading phase last year might have coincided with our fluctuating performances between rounds 15/16 - 20 just before we went on our 7 game winning streak.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

i'm sure a component of Browns form is him not getting to the right spots, as well as a really poor forward structure, as well as diabolically kicks inside 50

we seem to have reverted back to the bomb it long and hope Max or Fritsch takes a screamer.

No doubt we are not giving our fwds much silver service but at 200cm I would have thought Brown could influence contests from our long bombs. He’s been poor for 3 straight weeks and as our primary fwd, he needs to pull the finger out

4 minutes ago, DubDee said:

No doubt we are not giving our fwds much silver service but at 200cm I would have thought Brown could influence contests from our long bombs. He’s been poor for 3 straight weeks and as our primary fwd, he needs to pull the finger out

Oh i completely agree. he's as out of form as a player really can be. Sam Weideman really has a massive opportunity if he can find his best form 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bing181 said:

But if everyone does it, how come our opponents aren't also flagging during games?

I should have said every team who is going to make finals do load. Those out of contention, or on the bubble, can't afford to lose games they would otherwise won if not for fatigue.

Other contenders do struggle at this exact point in tbe season.

As an example, in the last two weeks,  Brisbane, the second favourite for the flag were beaten by the hawks and almost got rolled by the giants.

Geelong, a perennial contender, famously struggle after the bye.

The tigers hit a flat spot in each of their premiership years, just as we did last year.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

Ben Brown has to go. Who for I have no idea but he is to slow and cumbersome. Would also look closely at Picket and Spargo. No influence at all on the game. When they actually win the ball they just turn it over, Hunt also needs to go for Hibberd. Thank goodness we had Gawn and Gus as they were about only guys that won their contests and had a go.

Pickett through individual solo efforts set up at least three of our goals.  Yes, crude stats underwhelming but did you see the game ?

• Like 5

Just now, monoccular said:

Pickett through individual solo efforts set up at least three of our goals.  Yes, crude stats underwhelming but did you see the game ?

Agreed, Pickett played a good game…disagree with opinion on here that he is out of form. If our talk forwards are poor then his chances to score are low.

I liked his game and think he is playing well

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, binman said:

I should have said every team who is going to make finals do load.

So including the Swans and Freo? Not much slumping going on there, at least in our games.

Sure, there have been finals teams who have struggled mid-year. And plenty who haven't. And any number of reasons for slumps to occur.

Drawing a long bow IMV.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Pickett through individual solo efforts set up at least three of our goals.

The small forwards rely on the ball getting to ground. The McCartins made sure that didn't happen.

• Like 1

IN: Weideman, May, Hibberd

Out: Hunt, Tomlinson, B.Brown

Hunt and Tomlinson aren't AFL standard players having them out will make us a 5 goal better team. Brown is playing like as VFL player sub standard performances 3 weeks.

Massive chance for Weid he's had a million chances hopefully he can grab this one.

I have been against the idea for a long time and expect to be shot down for it but is it worth trying Petty forward as a stop gap. I am a huge Petty fan and would consider it a temporary role only.
Tomlinson to stay in with May back in the side…that combination worked previously. Petty can mark and is an intelligent footballer. It’s just an idea and may have already been mentioned in this thread but I think we need to try something different with TMac likely unavailable. Unfortunately Weideman has not improved to play the number 1 role imo and BBB is really out of form

• Like 1

I can't believe how many people want Tomlinson in the side he is a spud. Turner is a better option.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, WERRIDEE said:

I can't believe how many people want Tomlinson in the side he is a spud. Turner is a better option.

I think that is harsh. Agreed he is not up to taking the number 1 forward but he played his role extremely well last year until he went down. With May in the team he is a much better player

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, one_demon said:

You'll never know unless you try

Yeah I hear you O_D,

I just couldn’t see our coaching group even contemplating such a move.

It’s disappointing because If J. Smith was available you could, at the very least, have him play Petty’s role & trial Petty to fill the void of T-Mac. Petty early days showed some real good signs as a forward & Smith was just findings his feet before his injury…

A shame.

16 minutes ago, bing181 said:

So including the Swans and Freo? Not much slumping going on there, at least in our games.

Sure, there have been finals teams who have struggled mid-year. And plenty who haven't. And any number of reasons for slumps to occur.

Drawing a long bow IMV.

Freo lost to the pies and the port in the two games before us. 

Loading happens. But of course some teams will be impacted mote than others.

For example the tigers in their pomp and the current dees unit, rely on hugely taxing all team defence for both their defence AND offence (eg scores from turnovers, which by the by we scored zip from yesterday) to work optimally. 

So it stands to reason both teams would be impacted by fatigue, more than say the lions, given their game plan is not so reliant on all team gut running

Occam's razor.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clayton spirit said:

Gawn/Jackson resting is good enough as the 2nd tall, if we can't get Tmac in. Don't think M.Brown is up to scratch, Weid/BB combo hasn't really worked either

This could be the go. We only need a contest. Jackson has been marking well at half forward, but the next stage of his evolution, could be doing it against their 2nd tall closer to goal. Then we can have Bedford and Pickett together zipping around menacingly at their feet, and providing intense defensive pressure on the rebound.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

My issue is around the ball. Petracca has been ordinary for 2 months. He’s not chasing, and doesn’t have that explosiveness.

Patent nonsense.

Petracca received coaches votes in rounds 7, 8, 9, and 10, including the most votes in round 9 and the second most in round 10.

I'm all for pointing out deficiencies in a players game, but I prefer stuff isn't made up.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Put Gus back on a wing please and get Jordon off the wing and back into a rotation. 

Why? Jordon's 2022 has been far superior to Gus' 2021

• Facepalm 2
  • Thinking 1