NON-MFC: Round 9, 2022

Demonland

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

With the Cameras they use, it is a lottery. 
The AFL Should be using the best Cameras available. It’s not as if they cannot afford them. 
It is seriously pathetic 

Between propping up two expansion teams in markets that don't want them, coming out of two interrupted COVID seasons, rushing out an 18 team AFLW competition with a pay increase for them in a competition that's yet to show its commercially viable on its own two feet and now Tasmania trying to get a 19th licence.

No, I'm not 100% convinced the AFL can afford better cameras.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Between propping up two expansion teams in markets that don't want them, coming out of two interrupted COVID seasons, rushing out an 18 team AFLW competition with a pay increase for them in a competition that's yet to show its commercially viable on its own two feet and now Tasmania trying to get a 19th licence.

Relocate North.

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Only because the Competition is being run by Cowboys 

Broadcast 4k Cameras should be top of their list

• Like 1

There is an easy way for Tassie to get an AFL team.

Just don’t give North return air tickets!

Woul be surprised if there are 2,000 at the game. They have obviously handed out free tickets to school kids, trouble is they are wearing Demons beanies, Hawthorn jumpers or Freo jackets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Amazing that this isn't done.

Is it a cost issue 

4k has been around for a long time so you would think the prices would be reasonable

You and i can buy 4k GoPros very Easily DJ

Meanwhile these idiots who are slowly ruining the game pay themselves $Millions

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

There is an easy way for Tassie to get an AFL team.

Just don’t give North return air tickets!

Woul be surprised if there are 2,000 at the game. They have obviously handed out free tickets to school kids, trouble is they are wearing Demons beanies, Hawthorn jumpers or Freo jackets.

Yes, Tassie have obviously really embraced the Kangas, judging by the seven people in the crowd today.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Only because the Competition is being run by Cowboys 

Broadcast 4k Cameras should be top of their list

Don't disagree with you there.

18 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Yes, Tassie have obviously really embraced the Kangas, judging by the seven people in the crowd today.

In all seriousness Nasher. If North were to relocate to Hobart and become the Tassie Kangaroos, keeping North's history etc, similar to South Melbourne to Sydney. How do you think it would be received?

12 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Don't disagree with you there.

I agree with your original post. 
Gill is being painted as a Golden Boy in the Media, i think his tenure has been very ordinary. 
The AFL take little notice of their audience. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

In all seriousness Nasher. If North were to relocate to Hobart and become the Tassie Kangaroos, keeping North's history etc, similar to South Melbourne to Sydney. How do you think it would be received?

As a non Tasmanian I would say the same rules would apply in Tas as if a team relocated to SA. It would be received pretty poorly.

33 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

It would feel like the AFL have dumped their problem on us and would be proof they clearly don’t give a crap about us.

I and many others would consider supporting a brand new team, as a second team (I already have a team), if it feels like ours. A rebadged North Melbourne, it’s a hard no thanks from me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

It’d be a bit weird as a mascot though given Tasmania has very few Kangaroos. The only Kangaroo indigenous to Tassieis the Forester Kangaroo and there are sadly very few of these left. Of all the states to have a team called ‘Kangaroos’ Tassie would be the silliest pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dee Zephyr said:

You guys watching the North game? We have a ripper at the G.

Tried to, but it's unwatchable. North are just so far off the pace. Takes me back to the dark Neeldian days.

6 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

It’d be a bit weird as a mascot though given Tasmania has very few Kangaroos. The only Kangaroo indigenous to Tassieis the Forester Kangaroo and there are sadly very few of these left. Of all the states to have a team called ‘Kangaroos’ Tassie would be the silliest pick.

I’ve got to admit I don’t hate the idea of aligning a team with the Jack Jumpers brand of the new basketball team, which was a big success in its inaugural season in both crowd and on-court success. Certainly beats the tired, cringy old cliché of all our teams being Tigers (obviously not available) and Devils.

Having been bitten by a jack jumper more than once, I can confirm they are nasty little bastards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Nasher said:

It would feel like the AFL have dumped their problem on us and would be proof they clearly don’t give a crap about us.

I and many others would consider supporting a brand new team, as a second team (I already have a team), if it feels like ours. A rebadged North Melbourne, it’s a hard no thanks from me.

Understand 100%
But what are the AFL going to do with North? They are going to whither for a long time staying in Victoria. 
they should have been moved 12 years ago. Young talent won’t want to be the Number 1 draft pick

7 minutes ago, Nasher said:

The competition can’t sustain any more teams, so for many having 19 or 20 teams creates new problems. Any relocation / new team will obviously be a long term venture. It may not get seasoned fans to jump straight on board straight away but some will. Over the years kids will grow up knowing nothing else but supporting them and the fan base will grow. I personally think one issue Tasmania faces should they get a team is player retention, as picturesque and beautiful as it is I don’t think it will hold the appeal for everyone (and yes I’ve lived there for several years). 

fwiw i believe the reason the afl don't have full goal line technology in 4k etc. is because they believe it's a broadcast issue - and as such the rights holder should pay for them - and the broadcasters (quite rightly) say no, it's an afl issue, and the afl says 'you don't expect US to pay for it, do you?!? we've got EXECUTIVE LEVEL BUSINESS to take to the united states to try to get you to pay more for the next rights agreement...that caviar in first class ain't cheap!'

i did hear something on one of hutchy's many and various podcasts recently asking whether the afl could look to buy the jackjumpers license in the nbl and thus badge the 19th team with the same moniker and wrap them all up in to the same brand extension - that makes some vague sense but, of course, the afl doesn't spend money where it can possibly get someone else to do so

it's why if a 19th license is allowed a 20th won't be too far behind - 19 teams offers no discernible value to broadcast rights etc. - they'll need a 20th team to do so

2 hours ago, ANG13 said:

Dwayne, Derm and Dal Santo possibly the worst commentary team ever. 

It why when Mark Howard or Huddo call it it's great. also on ch7 I know people on here were talking about BT and Brayshaw but Jason Bennett and even Matt Hill are refreshing to listen to. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nasher said:

But as you say you’ll support it as a second team and that’s half the problem. 
Everyone in Tassie already has a team. Would you drop Melbourne to barrack for the Tassie side? No you wouldn’t.

Do you know many others who would?

Eventually you’ll have kids barracking for them organically but it’ll take years and success to make it happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

We picked a good time to be premiers. In a different timeline we'd right now be bickering over the prospective design of the Tassie Demons jumper.

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

Watched the highlights and I'm surprised there weren't cars parked around the boundary flashing their lights after each goal.

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

What if they disbanded North, gave the licence to Tassie, and said, here's a pool of homeless (ex-North) players for you to pick from. Plus you get X draft picks, and Y academy picks, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1