• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

NON-MFC: Round 07, 2022

Demonland

Surely tonight will be the death of the floating fixture! If tonights game is served up, then what's the point???

I get Sydney played on Monday, so they couldn't have backed up this soon for the match against Brisbane, but they could have easily had St Kilda v Port. Hard to believe it would have been any worse???

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Really hope we don’t do a West Coast.

Content with one flag and then go backwards at a million knots an hour.

I can't believe how much they've plummeted in the last couple of years...

14 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Surely tonight will be the death of the floating fixture! If tonights game is served up, then what's the point???

I get Sydney played on Monday, so they couldn't have backed up this soon for the match against Brisbane, but they could have easily had St Kilda v Port. Hard to believe it would have been any worse???

Could have played Geelong vs Freo

28 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Tanking?!? For what? The difference between pick 1 and pick 3?

History shows number 1 picks do not equal success. Look at us and Carlton. Just as likely pick 6 is better than 1

I watched them against Collingwood with their covid top ups when they won comfortably, this is the same side.

This is as systematic as it gets the whole club is in on this from Nisbett right through to the boot studder.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Could have played Geelong vs Freo

Potentially, though that would have made 3 games in 12 days for Geelong since Easter Monday. Saints played last Thursday and Port on the Saturday. Plenty of rest for both teams.

12 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

I watched them against Collingwood with their covid top ups when they won comfortably, this is the same side.

This is as systematic as it gets the whole club is in on this from Nisbett right through to the boot studder.

My point is there is no point in tanking. Not saying they are not doing it.

Would you prefer Walsh vs King? Or McGrath vs McCluggage

They’re not tanking their just old and washed up.

imagine how disheartening it would be for the Hurns, Kennedy’s etc to go around once more and be where they are now. They’d just be giving up and waiting for their super to kick in at the end of the year. They may as well retire about 4 of them right now 

• Like 2

The Tim Kelly trade has set them back a long, long way! They could be the inferior team in the West for a few years given their list demographic. Kennedy, Hurn, NikNat, Yeo, McGovern, Cripps, Darling, Gaff, Shuey, Sheppard and Redden all 29+ I'm pretty sure. That's not great news for a team who looks destined for bottom 2. A bit like us in 2007, though we were more competitive that year.

• Like 1

Whether deliberate or not Eagles are set to be at the bottom of the ladder for several years.  If they get 5- 6 top 10 players in those years they are well on their way.  Their problem is they appear to not have a lot of talent in the low to mid 20's age group to build on once the older guys go in a year or two.  So finals are a few years away.

There are some good WA kids touted in the top 5 of the draft this year so that might be a happy hunting ground for them.  While their draft prospects may change it is easy to see WCE trading pick 1 or 2 for several top 10 picks and start their rebuild.

If they finish last they also get the extremely valuable pick 19 to convert to better/more picks this year or next.

Edited by Lucifers Hero

7 hours ago, The Lobster Effect said:

I can't believe how much they've plummeted in the last couple of years...

Has the AFL drug testing regimen changed / tightened?

Massive % boost for Richmond; nearly 20pts.  And they play again later in the season at the G.  That % boost might be enough to get Richmond into the finals.  They have a relatively easy draw for the rest of the season.

That % may be enough to keep the Bulldogs out who are yet to play the Cats twice, Lions, Sydney, Freo and Demons.

As an aside Geelong will play WCE twice.  This and the other low ladder teams they play twice may be enough to get them a top two spot🤮.  Their last two games are GCS and WCE.  Great chance to rotate aging players and get % boosts.

Edited by Lucifers Hero

Can't recall the Eagles ever being in the bottom 2 or 3 teams. Sure they've been mid table but always competitive.

They are one of if not the wealthiest team in the AFL.

Watch out for some vigorous wheeling and dealing as they rebuild.

Meanwhile if Adelaide beat GWS today they will probably slip into the top 8. Amazing given where they were last year.

40 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Can't recall the Eagles ever being in the bottom 2 or 3 teams. Sure they've been mid table but always competitive.

They are one of if not the wealthiest team in the AFL.

Watch out for some vigorous wheeling and dealing as they rebuild.

Meanwhile if Adelaide beat GWS today they will probably slip into the top 8. Amazing given where they were last year.

WC came last in 2010. They had a bad start to the season like now then basically tanked. They ambushed us in round 8 though. We were favourites to beat them but they gave us a hiding. Kind of ruined the rest of our season. I would never take them lightly no matter how poor they are now. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I cannot get over how visibly unfit so many West Coast players look.

When I saw their marquee player NicNat in round one, I knew their season was done before it began. He is carrying 15 extra kgs at a minimum. 
No idea why West Coast is letting their players get away with such poor fitness. It’s insane to me how many of them look so badly out of shape. 
Josh Kennedy at 86 years of age is just about the fittest player in their side. 

Has to be Hurn and Kennedy’s last year. Although Kennedy at 35 still playing well

then their next level of 7-8 players is 30+  Will be interesting if they trade or retire some off. They don’t have much youth coming through and blokes like Shuey, Yeo can’t stay fit

even blokes like Cripps and Darling are 30 this year

7 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

When I saw their marquee player NicNat in round one, I knew their season was done before it began. He is carrying 15 extra kgs at a minimum. 
No idea why West Coast is letting their players get away with such poor fitness. It’s insane to me how many of them look so badly out of shape. 
Josh Kennedy at 86 years of age is just about the fittest player in their side. 

I noticed this as well.  So many were/are overweight, especially their senior players who should be setting the fitness standards for the kids.

In the 2022 predictions thread before the start of the season, and before their covid disruptions, I tipped them for the wooden spoon.  Reckon I will go very close.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2