TRAINING: Monday 4th April 2022

picket fence

File:Danger sign.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

"I wish I knew where I wanted to be where I wanted to be where I was today"

Just another day out at Beautiful Casey fields today Demonlanders, coolish day some minor precipitation around. The endless drone of the school sports adjacent, did nothing to drown out the crecendo of the largely techno Music emanating from the P.A system and although some of the songs were likable compared to other occasions The rhetorical cataclysmic monotone of the house musak was still somewhat annoying. You know the stuff.....

"Went to the Party, Had some Bacardi, went to the disco , all dressed as Cisco, took a swig of drink, which forced me to think, yeah Im here baby, come and back me, before they ready to sack me!

Anyway on to training... hold on, what is that Sound???? Crikey, oh wow! Is that a Delorean??? Oh no couldn't be , could it!?

image.jpeg.578f29a2678b601bfd57f71afddf7b81.jpeg

Picket Fence " Doc, Marty, What are you doing here?"

Doc, " Where are we and who are you"?

Picket Fence, " I am known around these parts as The  "Picket Fence"

Marty, "I don't see any Pickets around here, strange name" 

Picket Fence, "You don't know half of it"

Doc " Great Scot, Marty what do the time sensors say"

Marty, "Hang on Doc..... 4th April 2022 1.41 pm 2022 DOC WE HAVE GONE INTO THE FUTURE"

Doc, "GREAT SCOT not only time but space as well, Where are we"?

Picket Fence "You are in Australia, and this place is Casey Fields training ground of the mighty Melbourne Demons" I do training reports see over there, that's the Dees training."

Doc " Picket or whatever you are called, I need to find a power source measuring 1.21 Gigawatts of power to get us back to the future"

Picket Fence" Relax Doc, Marty, I have all the power you need"

Marty "Where"?

Picket Fence " As everyone knows now Electric powered cars are almost a way of life, just hook up the Delorean, drain all available power thus descending Casey into darkness and in no time you will be on your way."

Doc" Of course, this is something I have dreamed about and its all coming back to me, I was hanging something above my toilet, slipped , hit my head on the porcelain and I had a vision

Picket Fence, " I know this line Doc, Ive seen the movie a million times, THE FLUX CAPACITOR"?

Doc " Not quite right, "THE FLUX CAPACITOR MRK 2 WITH IMPULSE GIGAWATTERS SOLARISED AND DEODORISED, WITH ELECTRODES" T.M

Marty " This script is getting wackier and crazier by the minute"

Picket Fence "Agree... Ok here's the deal, You guys hang out with me I'll finalise the Training report and I'll give you a tow to the nearest Power station,  deal??

Doc " Well Ok, these boys sure look good, 

Marty "Heavy Duty Doc"

One other thing the roads around here are diabolical, Road works, Potholes a DEESGRACE!

Doc "Roads???? Where were going we don't need any.... ROADS"!

ABSENT  Mitch Brown, also didn't notice Jake Melksham, BBB.

Jake Spencer also a notable absence.

ON MODIFIED DUTIES  Michae Hibberd, Oskar Baker and Deakyn Smith at some stage looked to be sitting out a drill or so

NOTABLE TRAINERS (full training)

SKILLS DRILLS AND MANOUVERS

Interestingly the Mid fielders and Forward lines came out first and completed a session of midfield Center Bounce set ups and set plays for around 15 -20 minutes.

Also of interest Luke Dunstan was in this group, but no other Casey players. The Forwards were completing set shot routines from various distances.

Squad then went inside for about 10 minutes before reappearing and completing a pretty solid session , which I think would be the main session seeing as we play Thursday Night

SKILL A Each player had a partner roughly positioned 15 Meters away kneeling down it was stand and in one movement deliver pass, This then was Stretched out progressionally until 40 meters away. Another interesting aspect was players had to spin 3 and 4 times and pivot and dispose of the ball after doing "The ring a ring a Rosie"

SKILL B This is a very Melbourne maneuver that I have seen before and is replicated in games, Using the 3 and 4 man weave, players overlap , handball and then set up projectile kick into oncoming players who do exactly the same thing . It not unusual to mix this up by going to the next group or to handball back to originator. This is a drill of beauty and when we do this in games leads to the exhilarating runs and carry that when we play well obliterates the opposition.

SKILL C, D, E,F These were multidisciplinary events which had groups of 4, 5, 6 7, 8 doing a myriad of small discrete open and cloze setups. It might have been Clarry, Vines, and Tracc doing breakaways in stoppages or Forwards practicing leading patterns, In tight handball and keepings of drills. At any time there were about 9 or 10 things happening

SKILL G BLITZKRIEG KAMAKAZI BALL Players alternated between pink shirt harassers and players in a glorified keepings of routine

HIGHLIGHTS AND PLAYER WATCH Probably the best thing to see was Jake Lever participating in full training and he looked very good. Unless he pulls up sore I'm sure he will play Thursday night. Likewise, Harrison (Tom) Petty ain't a heartbreaker no more looked very good on the track and unhampered by his injury. Kade Chandler is an interesting player, seems to have some tricks, kicked a couple yesterday looks a likely type, who trained well.

Likewise Jacob Van Rooten, Blake Howes, Judd McVee and Andy Moniz-Wakefield continue to impress. Taj Woewodin is a nice size and continues to learn the caper.

All in all and energetic session and one which looks to be preparing us well for the game against Port Adelaide Thursday night. Minimal injuries and the likelihood of both BBB and Jake Lever coming in will cause selectors pleasant headaches. 

Righto Doc, Marty lets get you "BACK TO THE FUTURE"

P.F

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

• picket fence changed the title to Training Monday 4th April 2022 ( Main Training session Casey Fields)
6 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Thanks again picket !

Just a question.  Jake Spencer?

Don't ya get it Uncle??? BACK TO THE FUTURE! LOL

• Haha 6

• Demonland changed the title to TRAINING: Monday 4th April 2022

2 minutes ago, CYB said:

Presuming Trac took part in the full training session? Howd he look given the rumors swirling about one of his knees.

Tracc moved well and showed no discomfort or niggle, Saw Chocko in conversation with Luke Dunstan for a few minutes early in training and I think they will take him over to Adelaide for insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Very much appreciated training report PF.

List is in PRETTY good shape as our premiership defenders really start to return from their injuries and malfunctions. What a mighty job has  everyone in defence done in difficult times this season so far. And our total average has only risen from about 64 points per game in 2021 to 70 points average this season with 5/6 unable to play. 
Team going at trotting pace but all getting some good times in the matches.

Selection interesting this week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hemingway said:

Your serious side Uncle? Just your dual persona? 

Serious question Ernie.

I've never actually seen this kid but there has been a lot of talk about him ( including by @picket fence in some of his pre season reports).

I'm looking for a current update.

• Like 2

There was a post on the JVW thread that he will be playing on Thursday, based on the fact that he didn't play for Casey on the weekend. I posted that he was highly unlikely to play but could be being taken to Adelaide as cover. Maybe he didn't play on Saturday because it's a 5-day turnaround (from Casey's game), or equally possibly because he pulled up a bit sore from Casey's 1st Round Match (leg cramps?), in which case he probably isn't flying to Adelaide.

I'm releived that BBB didn't turn up to training 😄

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Serious question Ernie.

I've never actually seen this kid but there has been a lot of talk about him ( including by @picket fence in some of his pre season reports).

I'm looking for a current update.

On his first outing with Casey last week, he looked promising.

Jacob Van Rooyen 3 goals 2 behinds 11 kicks 1 handball 12 disposals 8 marks 4 tackles 2 hit outs 98 dream team points

At 193cms and 91 kgs this 18 year old was named 3rd best for Casey in his first game.

Raw, but strong and aggressive.

He will be in the seniors at some stage this season, or the next imo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Been some 'land chat this week about Jacob Van Rooyen picket.

Is he anywhere near ready in your view?

Ok, I dont know why he didn't play last week, but have seen him at training and I have been very impressed with several things

1 He is like Fritta in that he is elusive

2 He takes a very nice lead up mark which reminds me of Naughtin in that he seems to float and hang suspended for a while, I think you would refer to this as timing

3 He could develop in a Hybrid Gunston type and so if you think a bit of Fritta, Naughtin and Gunstan you should get an opinion of the amalgam that is Jacob Van Rooyen. Question is who would he replace? Spargo?? 

Is he ready,?? Well was Rob Flower ready when his Dad, Alan took the call from Noel Mc Mahon when he was 17 and considered too slight. Certainly I know Alan Flower was extremely concerned that in the Hurly burly that was then a vigorous game that he may get hurt. Is he ready?? Hnmm he will be a great player and I can see why we went after him. He is more ready than some, but I ask the question, who would he replace?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

On his first outing with Casey last week, he looked promising.

Jacob Van Rooyen 3 goals 2 behinds 11 kicks 1 handball 12 disposals 8 marks 4 tackles 2 hit outs 98 dream team points

At 193 cms and 91 kgs this 18 year old was named 3rd best for Casey in his first game.

Raw, but strong and aggressive.

He will be in the seniors at some stage this season, or the next imo.

4 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Ok, I dont know why he didn't play last week, but have seen him at training and I have been very impressed with several things

2 He takes a very nice lead up mark which reminds me of Naughtin in that he seems to float and hang suspended for a while, I think you would refer to this as timing

3 He could develop in a Hybrid Gunston type and so if you think a bit of Fritta, Naughtin and Gunstan you should get an opinion of the amalgam that is Jacob Van Rooyen. Question is who would he replace? Spargo?? 

Is he ready,?? Well was Rob Flower ready when his Dad, Alan took the call from Noel Mc Mahon when he was 17 and considered too slight. Certainly I know Alan Flower was extremely concerned that in the Hurly burly that was then a vigorous game that he may get hurt. Is he ready?? Hnmm he will be a great player and I can see why we went after him. He is more ready than some, but I ask the question, who would he replace?

Thank you gentlemen.

Very comprehensive information. Sounds like we've got another gun waiting in the wings

• Like 2

Thanks PF I have watched Marty and the Doc on numerous occasions those movies were ahead of their time.😳 Thanks for your informative Reports, JVR is a bit of a conundrum and I am looking forward to when he does debut.!!

5 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

Your not interested in Jake Spencer news?

Maybe Jake will make an unannounced return to give Max a break on Thursday? 🤔🙄😱

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

I attended Rd 1 at Casey and don't agree with this description. He's much thicker than Fritsch and not elusive in the way that Fritsch is. There are some small elements of Naughton....but his timing is not quite at that level and he certainly doesn't jump as high. Gunston? Yeah maybe a little. Not a comparison that jumped out at me. 

Honestly the player he reminded me of the most - but it's not a perfect comparable - was Jesse. Largely in the way he works up the ground - hustle bustle - with a low ish centre of gravity, good and tough at ground level at that 193cm mark, which honestly these days is almost small in the age of 2m KPPs. I think he's more dynamic than Hogan - can jump higher and chase faster - but not quite as good at the ground ball body positioning stuff that served Jesse so well even as a young player. 

The other place my mind went particularly on the up & back endurance stuff was Saint Nick.

Also maybe a little of Jack Darling but not quite as rigid/straight line? 

If I had to give a triple comparison those would be the three. 

He's not the finished article but it was an impressive first showing. Sandy were pretty crap though - waiting to see more. 

Edited by fr_ap
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, fr_ap said:

I attended Rd 1 at Casey and don't agree with this description. He's much thicker than Fritsch and not elusive in the way that Fritsch is. There are some small elements of Naughton....but his timing is not quite at that level and he certainly doesn't jump as high. Gunston? Yeah maybe a little. Not a comparison that jumped out at me. 

Honestly the player he reminded me of the most - but it's not a perfect comparable - was Jesse. Largely in the way he works up the ground - hustle bustle - with a low ish centre of gravity, good and tough at ground level at that 193cm mark, which honestly these days is almost small in the age of 2m KPPs. I think he's more dynamic than Hogan - can jump higher and chase faster - but not quite as good at the ground ball body positioning stuff that served Jesse so well even as a young player. 

The other place my mind went particularly on the up & back endurance stuff was Saint Nick.

He's not the finished article but it was an impressive first showing. Sandy were pretty crap though - waiting to see more. 

Great to hear ur observation I will observe again.

Cheers P.F

• Like 3

18 hours ago, daisycutter said:

just be grateful, uncle, mr fence didn't bring back juice newton to the future 🥴

Juice Newton … ??  The man who kicked 5 goals in the first quarter against North at Etihad one year ?? 

Isn't he still on the list ?? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, fr_ap said:

Nick Larkey and Tim Membrey would be other comparisons to van Rooyen.

I think he could end up as a defender at AFL level like Michael Hurley.

• Like 2