Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

COVID Disruptions 2022


bandicoot
 Share


Recommended Posts

On 1/10/2022 at 8:51 AM, dazzledavey36 said:

My covid-19 plan would for the clubs this year alone:

  • Extend the list numbers to allow an extra 10 players onto the playing list.
  • Invite train on players as early as end of January with a deadline by 1st week of March to have your list completed by then just in time for the season. Also gives potential train on players opportunity to impress for a month, and even play some NAB challenge/practice games
  • No draft scenario, more like a SSP design in terms of recruiting. 

I'm surprised that the AFL haven't already addressed the issue of clubs being potentially short on player availability due to covid

I suggested the same idea (6-8 supplementary players added on) over a month ago on the old covid thread

Is there any doubt that with the current covid protocols in place that a club (or clubs) will be caught short?

Minimum contracts with match payments wouldn't cost more than about $600k - $1Million per club (paid for by the AFL)

And any number of players would absolutely jump at the chance of another go at league level

As it stands, certain clubs will be disadvantaged at some stage but we don't want the games postponed or called off

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Demonland said:

Please NO POSTS saying “I heard so and so has COVID”

 Unless it is reported in the media or by someone in the media on social media it is not ok to post rumours that you heard from your mum’s cousin’s mate’s aunty.

 

I know from personal experience when you do hear something reliable you can't post on Demonland anyway because you would be betraying the trust of the person who told you.

The two exceptions are if it is from Judd's grandmother or there is a riddle.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Macca said:

I'm surprised that the AFL haven't already addressed the issue of clubs being potentially short on player availability due to covid

In a round about way they already have the "extra" players in the form of the VFL listed players.

The issue is when would a club be able to access the top up players. Do you first have to exhaust your AFL uninjured list. Can you top up by reference to positions etc.

Fixed rules could be a nightmare. My suggestion would be to use an MRP type body to make individual decisions based on "overall fairness".

From left field should clubs have to lend players to other clubs as top ups. (Ruckmen come to mind)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

In a round about way they already have the "extra" players in the form of the VFL listed players.

The issue is when would a club be able to access the top up players. Do you first have to exhaust your AFL uninjured list. Can you top up by reference to positions etc.

Fixed rules could be a nightmare. My suggestion would be to use an MRP type body to make individual decisions based on "overall fairness".

From left field should clubs have to lend players to other clubs as top ups. (Ruckmen come to mind)

In terms of fairness, adding 6-10 supplementary players is no biggie anyway.  It's not like clubs would be topping up with superstar players

Put the supplementary players  on a 1 year permit where they are not forever tied to the clubs

With the current outbreak of the omicron variant and the protocols that are in place, it's a moral that at least 1 or 2 clubs are going to be caught out (especially when considering that injury lists can be 10 or more at any given time as well)

So as you indicated DJ, most of the clubs have a reserves team (or suchlike) where as a number of the teams outside of Victoria can call upon players from their local leagues

Again, I don't see the big deal and the reality is that the show must go on

The bigger nightmare is rescheduling games ... so much is made of 5 or 6 days breaks so apart from the bye rounds, how do they fit postponed games in? 

 

Edited by Macca
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Demonland said:

 

I saw this or another report on Channel 7. I maybe mistaken but I recall Ch7 saying that 20 or so MFC players/staff were away from training due to covid.  Must have misheard because there has been nothing officially or anything on here either. Can anyone confirm?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Macca said:

In terms of fairness, adding 6-10 supplementary players is no biggie anyway.  It's not like clubs would be topping up with superstar players

Put the supplementary players  on a 1 year permit where they are not forever tied to the clubs

With the current outbreak of the omicron variant and the protocols that are in place, it's a moral that at least 1 or 2 clubs are going to be caught out (especially when considering that injury lists can be 10 or more at any given time as well)

So as you indicated DJ, most of the clubs have a reserves team (or suchlike) where as a number of the teams outside of Victoria can call upon players from their local leagues

Again, I don't see the big deal and the reality is that the show must go on

The bigger nightmare is rescheduling games ... so much is made of 5 or 6 days breaks so apart from the bye rounds, how do they fit postponed games in? 

 

NHL has/is going through these scenario's. Last season they had "tax squads" that were outside of the salary cap but allowed players to travel with the team and be called upon when needed. Outside the salary cap.

This year they didn't bring it back until half way through the current season as Omicron tore through the entire league. They are also postponing games left right and centre. I think it is close to 100 games postpones at this point and almost at the point of no return re the number of games they can reschedule and still finish the season on time before having to potentially extend the post season which they are loath to do.

  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CYB said:

I saw this or another report on Channel 7. I maybe mistaken but I recall Ch7 saying that 20 or so MFC players/staff were away from training due to covid.  Must have misheard because there has been nothing officially or anything on here either. Can anyone confirm?

Demonland is not the official news outlet for MFC news or D/Landers asking for info that you can look up on your phone or one of the news outlets.

Far too many D/Lers depend on this site as their sole news outlet and don't got to afl.com.au OR melbournefc.com.au for their source of news for the actual report that has been broken or alternatively is a radio or TV news sport items and/ or is digitally available.

Great examples such as are:

Is it on TV?

When are the fixtures coming out?

Why isn't ....? Playing today?

What time does the game start? 

General questions for info like this are on multiple threads and sites so it is IMO expecting others to notify you asking a general question like this on a post is just sheer laziness.

If it's been a thread  you have posted on and been involved in totally then no issue but to come in at the end or just ask without attempting to look up yourself it's using other posters time up!! 

We are very lucky as Demonland posts (by Andy I presume ) are very prompt and reliable.  Thanks Andy  for your excellent service and news worthiness skills for us all. 
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cards13 said:

NHL has/is going through these scenario's. Last season they had "tax squads" that were outside of the salary cap but allowed players to travel with the team and be called upon when needed. Outside the salary cap.

This year they didn't bring it back until half way through the current season as Omicron tore through the entire league. They are also postponing games left right and centre. I think it is close to 100 games postpones at this point and almost at the point of no return re the number of games they can reschedule and still finish the season on time before having to potentially extend the post season which they are loath to do.

102 games postponed and counting, around 30 of those in Canada as the Canadians have dropped attendance from full capacity (~15k) down to 1,000. The NHL/owners/players don’t want to lose the revenue from those games.


110 games is the magic number that they can make up in the 2 weeks they we’re supposed to go to the Olympics, otherwise it’s extend season/post season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, 58er said:

General questions for info like this are on multiple threads and sites so it is IMO expecting others to notify you asking a general question like this on a post is just sheer laziness.

Some posters aren’t as au fait with tech and maybe they can use DL only because their grandkids have set it up for them, for example. As well, some of the questions you cited as examples can also serve as conversation starters. 
I think accusing people of ‘sheer laziness’ is a little harsh. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like it had an effect on our AFLW team last weekend.

I was wondering what happened to Goldrick and McNamara...

Four of the six players who were unavailable under the AFL's Health and Safety Protocols will return to training and will be available for selection in the side's Round 2 match against Richmond. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Some posters aren’t as au fait with tech and maybe they can use DL only because their grandkids have set it up for them, for example. As well, some of the questions you cited as examples can also serve as conversation starters. 
I think accusing people of ‘sheer laziness’ is a little harsh. 

Surely WCW you are not suggesting that some D/Lers are so uninformed and disinterested that there only contact with MFC is this fantastic site on their PC laptop tablet or smartphone. 
Or that That they  don't read papers or watch TV or listen to the radio to update their knowledge about the mighty Dees.

My point is that today we don't want for opportunities to obtain knowledge or information and in my opinion  it frustrates me that this forum seems overused by some as a quick Q and A function to save a Google or Siri enquiry, scan of the daily paper or website browse.

Demonland  deserves better IMO as does our Club website which both serve as excellent but different choices to keep in touch with our beloved Reigning Premiers as we attempt to go back to back and establish a dynasty to Match  our previous successful glory years of the last century. 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, 58er said:

Surely WCW you are not suggesting that some D/Lers are so uninformed and disinterested that there only contact with MFC is this fantastic site on their PC laptop tablet or smartphone. 
Or that That they  don't read papers or watch TV or listen to the radio to update their knowledge about the mighty Dees.

My point is that today we don't want for opportunities to obtain knowledge or information and in my opinion  it frustrates me that this forum seems overused by some as a quick Q and A function to save a Google or Siri enquiry, scan of the daily paper or website browse.

Demonland  deserves better IMO as does our Club website which both serve as excellent but different choices to keep in touch with our beloved Reigning Premiers as we attempt to go back to back and establish a dynasty to Match  our previous successful glory years of the last century. 


 

Chill man

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 58er said:

Surely WCW you are not suggesting that some D/Lers are so uninformed and disinterested that there only contact with MFC is this fantastic site on their PC laptop tablet or smartphone. 
Or that That they  don't read papers or watch TV or listen to the radio to update their knowledge about the mighty Dees.

My point is that today we don't want for opportunities to obtain knowledge or information and in my opinion  it frustrates me that this forum seems overused by some as a quick Q and A function to save a Google or Siri enquiry, scan of the daily paper or website browse.

Demonland  deserves better IMO as does our Club website which both serve as excellent but different choices to keep in touch with our beloved Reigning Premiers as we attempt to go back to back and establish a dynasty to Match  our previous successful glory years of the last century. 


 

For what it is worth being in Cairns my source of MFC news is 

Demonland then the MFC website then family....I am not going to subscribe to the main stream media on the remote chance that they publish something remotely AFL. If only a Pies player was bitten by a croc.

DL is a broad church (or hell pit) where most are welcome to express their views.  Yes some are repetitive (players ran laps at training 😀) and tedious but I am happy to live with that if the alternative is an exclusive club.

Without Posters DL would be nothing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, 58er said:

Demonland is not the official news outlet for MFC news or D/Landers asking for info that you can look up on your phone or one of the news outlets.

Far too many D/Lers depend on this site as their sole news outlet and don't got to afl.com.au OR melbournefc.com.au for their source of news for the actual report that has been broken or alternatively is a radio or TV news sport items and/ or is digitally available.

Great examples such as are:

Is it on TV?

When are the fixtures coming out?

Why isn't ....? Playing today?

What time does the game start? 

General questions for info like this are on multiple threads and sites so it is IMO expecting others to notify you asking a general question like this on a post is just sheer laziness.

If it's been a thread  you have posted on and been involved in totally then no issue but to come in at the end or just ask without attempting to look up yourself it's using other posters time up!! 

We are very lucky as Demonland posts (by Andy I presume ) are very prompt and reliable.  Thanks Andy  for your excellent service and news worthiness skills for us all. 
 

 

Please tell me you are joking? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, 58er said:

Surely WCW you are not suggesting that some D/Lers are so uninformed and disinterested that there only contact with MFC is this fantastic site on their PC laptop tablet or smartphone. 


 

Not suggesting this at all. 🤨
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to COVID Disruptions 2022

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    A LITTLE MAGIK by George On The Outer

    With the game against Carlton all but lost, there was little chance the Demons could pull this one from out of the fire … with a little bit of magiK!   MagiK with a “K” in the form of Kysaiah Pickett, who miraculously managed to get foot to ball in the dying seconds to secure the win for the Demons. Along with plenty of magiK from Jake MelKsham during the game. Marking the ball while lying on his back, dancing through a bevy of Carlton backmen to score and then marking among three tall

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GREY INTO WHITE by KC from Casey

    The rains came as predicted to Casey Fields on Sunday along with a fair lashing of wind that made for the type of game that you expect in such inhospitable conditions - a grim, dour festival of scrappy football made for strong-bodied sides such as the undefeated competition leaders. And so it came to pass that the Casey Demons were able to trample over Carlton’s VFL side in the final half of their Round 21 match up to maintain their undefeated record for 2022. The victory under grey skies w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    DOWNFALL? by Whispering Jack

    Half a season ago, Saturday night’s Round 22 match up between Melbourne and Carlton would have been looked upon as a mouthwatering contest to determine positions at the top of the AFL mountain in the lead up to an exiting finals series for both clubs. However, this once much-anticipated contest is today considered almost as a consolation event between two of the most disappointing teams in the competition. At least the Blues have some sort of excuse for their downfall — they have been dogge

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HORSING AROUND by George On The Outer

    Before the match it was claimed that Collingwood were a “one trick pony” side.  Well that one trick worked very well against Melbourne, as they extended their winning streak to 11 for the season. Meanwhile, the Demons continued to horse around with structures which simply haven’t been working. The one tall forward option with resting rucks failed yet again, in an almost identical manner to the game against the Bulldogs recently.  93 more possessions, 65 inside 50 entries 24 more than the op

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE BUBBLE by The Oracle

    "I feel like we've got more than enough experience in close games. It'd be nice to win one by five or six goals and have that pulse lower a little bit late in games, but that's not our story." — Scott Pendlebury on the eve of his team’s forthcoming Round 21 game against Melbourne. When you read words such as these, you know it’s time for Melbourne fans to be humble. The old enemy is up and about while our mantle of invincibility has vanished into thin air. A Magpie win against the Demons wo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ANCHORS AWEIGH! by George on the Outer

    So came the cry from the Dockers as the S.S. Fremantle set sail with the hopes of all of their supporters on board on the mighty ship. Their task was to do nothing more than to defeat the Melbourne side and a top four position on the ladder was assured. The problem for them was that their leaky boat came up against the mighty battleship - Team Demon and it didn’t take long after they left port for their vessel to develop a multitude of leaks. The first salvo was fired by First Officer

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SWEET SIXTEEN by KC from Casey

    The game was an uneven match up from the very beginning. The Casey Demons, representing an alignment between the reigning premiers Melbourne and the outer southeastern expansion area centred around a sprawling Cranbourne with its rapid population growth and the stand alone Northern Bullants from the inner north who sit at the foot of the VFL table. With 14 AFL listed players and a couple more having experience at the elite level opening with the breeze at their backs, the result was inevitable.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE HUNGER GAME by Whispering Jack

    The game may well have taken place a day short of ten weeks ago but the atmospherics surrounding Friday night’s match between Melbourne (then Narrm) and Fremantle are light years apart from those that prevailed when the teams last faced off the MCG in late autumn. On one hand, the Demons were in the midst of a 17 game winning spree that included a drought breaking premiership victory. On the other, the Dockers were coming off a six goal thrashing at Optus Stadium in teeming rain against a then s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOG-TIED by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons were extended early against rivals Footscray VFL in their matchup played in wet and greasy conditions at VU Whitten Oval on Saturday but, after establishing their authority in the second quarter, they were able to tie up their opponents at the end to maintain their undefeated run which now stands at 15.  The game began under grey threatening skies and the wet conditions turned the game into a tight slog with scoring kept down to a minimum. The Demons were held goalless agai

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    DOG DAY by George On The Outer

    It is said that every dog has its day and that was certainly the case when the Western Bulldogs defeated Melbourne under the roof at the Docklands on Saturday night.   While the Dogs were certainly at the very top of their game, the same couldn’t be said of the Demons. All around the ground, dismal individual performances and dismal team performances were the order of the day.  Fans should have been worried right from the start as the game turned into a goal-fest. This is not their team’

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING CATS & DOGS by Whispering Jack

    Despite winning their game in the Red Centre at the weekend, the consensus among the pundits is that Melbourne’s days in the sun are over. Ten rounds into the season, they were the competition’s top dogs and regarded virtually unbeatable but their recent form (three wins from the last seven games) has put them well below par, perilously clinging onto second spot on the ladder with storm clouds on the horizon. The air of invincibility that once surrounded them is gone and the Demons face a t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE KOZZY SHOW by George On The Outer

    Q: Melbourne is playing Port Adelaide at Traeger Park, Alice Springs and once again, it doesn’t have a properly functioning forward line — so from where were the goals going to come?   A: Kysaiah Pickett.     In a one man show in front of his adoring fans, he racked up six majors to give the Demons the edge in the game and to finally run out winners by 14 points.     The result could well have been very different without his efforts with Melbourne failing to score a major

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...