Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2022 Financial Report

Satan

6 minutes ago, Dante said:

And loyal supporters that refused to abandon the club. We have by far the best supporters of any club, we didn't jump on board this year, we've been there for ever.

Sorry I am including us supporters, coaches, players and admin in this group of hard working brilliant people.😀💕

• Love 1

To be profitable during Covid is a minor miracle. We would be in a deep hole if we hadn’t played finals again this year and would likely have had to tap the AFL for cash

We’ll have a windfall from the Bentleigh club sale but those funds will be earmarked for the home base you’d think. We have to get the home base off the ground and ensure it is income generating upon completion. Getting that project right is critical to set the club up for financial security into the future. Outside of football it has to be out No 1, 2 and 3 priority. I expect Kate Roffey to deliver in this regard but I am weary and impatient with the slow progress

• Like 3

2 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

What is yet to be explained is how a Future Fund will generate the $2M of profit in the current environment, that these venues did for us, on a capital base of only $23M.  i.e. a 10% return each and every year!

Sounds like Mr Finance here hasn't heard of bitcoin.

JK!

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, BDA said:

We’ll have a windfall from the Bentleigh club sale but those funds will be earmarked for the home base you’d think.

That money has gone into the Future Fund.

Funding the home base will be interesting. Few clubs have used their own funds to any great degree in this area

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

That money has gone into the Future Fund.

Funding the home base will be interesting. Few clubs have used their own funds to any great degree in this area

I think you'll find that the State Government will finance it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

Next year will be a 'down' year in terms of the ANZAC eve game and Queens birthday blockbuster games both being away.  We do play the pies again as a home game but it is late in the season and there is a good chance they might be done by then which might reduce the crowd.

This isn't necessarily a terrible thing - we will get a natural bounce due to the premiership win next year and have these up our sleeves in 2023.

No chance they'll be done by then. They're done now. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, BDA said:

On field success leads to off field financial success. Very difficult to be financially secure if not playing and winning finals.

well done all. Great outcome with hopefully more to follow over the next few years 

• Essenscum just posted a COVID-19 profit of $8M. Haven't won a final in 18 years. 
  • Carlton just posted a COVID-19 profit of $20M. Haven't won a final in 8 years. 
  • Norf are debt free and haven't won a final in six years.

It's not that difficult.

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:
  • Essenscum just posted a COVID-19 profit of $8M. Haven't won a final in 18 years. 
  • Carlton just posted a COVID-19 profit of $20M. Haven't won a final in 8 years. 

It's not that difficult.

8B7AC71B-E198-4967-93C0-5BC907EA08B8.png.776b7dc695eb27f40b68edb90c3d8ca5.png

cant explain north being debt free based on membership sales 46k ( save our skins i suspect)

however carlton and essendon have 28k more members than  us These are established sides with hundreds of thousands of supporters with long time family  based fans . We lost fans over last 50 odd years . Go to auskick one sat morning , very few  melbourne jumpers . Kids will go to winners  , keep winning prime time games and more grand finals and you will get kids asking to go to melbourne games . 

re carlton

just checked their figures 1.2m operating profit 

Carlton would be stuffed without Pratt and mathison bail outs over the years

THE CARLTON Football Club is pleased to today announce a net operating profit of $1,282,346 for 2021, up on the operating break-even result achieved in 2020 of $34,639.

This operating result has contributed to the Club declaring a statutory net profit position of $20,257,029 for the year ended 31 October 2021 – inclusive of government grants and philanthropic contributions towards the IKON Park Redevelopment, which has now surpassed 50 per cent completion.

Re essendon

Essendon Football Club is pleased to have strengthened its financial position in 2021, announcing a statutory profit of $8.2 million.

This is made up of an underlying profit from operations of $1.2m, together with $7m of donations and grants directly attributable to the expansion of the NEC Hangar development. The underlying cash profit from operations was $5m.

I think The selling of bentleigh club Proceeds will be in statutory profit next Year  . 

from annual financial report
The Club entered a contract of sale for the Bentleigh Club land during the year. The sale contract
  is for $23.7m, $1.2m above the carrying value, and will enable the Club to create a Future Fund with the sale proceeds (after transaction costs) of ~$23.3m upon settlement of the transaction in 2022

my original post was based on original figures quoted on Carlton and Essendon . They were not operating profit . Cant compare apples with oranges . Further digging and quoted from the efc and cfc showed lower operating profit than us .

Edited by Satan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, BDA said:

To be profitable during Covid is a minor miracle. We would be in a deep hole if we hadn’t played finals again this year and would likely have had to tap the AFL for cash

We’ll have a windfall from the Bentleigh club sale but those funds will be earmarked for the home base you’d think. We have to get the home base off the ground and ensure it is income generating upon completion. Getting that project right is critical to set the club up for financial security into the future. Outside of football it has to be out No 1, 2 and 3 priority. I expect Kate Roffey to deliver in this regard but I am weary and impatient with the slow progress

It's why we should be investing in Fishermans Bend site.. A Community entertainment Centre with training facility and admin building attached. 

To provide our future base and income generation with capital growth.

26 minutes ago, dpositive said:

It's why we should be investing in Fishermans Bend site.. A Community entertainment Centre with training facility and admin building attached. 

To provide our future base and income generation with capital growth.

We will be at Gosch’s Paddock…

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

It's not that difficult.

It's difficult for us because we don't have a large supporter base. We only made a profit because of the large boost we got from merch sales as a result of the GF win

I don't know what Essendon and Carlton did this year but i suggest we copy it. $8m and $20m is an unbelievable effort from them

2 hours ago, BDA said:

It's difficult for us because we don't have a large supporter base. We only made a profit because of the large boost we got from merch sales as a result of the GF win

I don't know what Essendon and Carlton did this year but i suggest we copy it. $8m and $20m is an unbelievable effort from them

Stop thinking small. We must continue to DEMAND a winning Culture 

That is why other Clubs have Supporters

We can be so much bigger than what we are. Pert understands this

Melbourne will soon be the biggest City in the Country, we must follow suit. 

3 hours ago, BDA said:

See my post above , donations and government grants got them the profit but thats non operating profit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Most of the GF prizemoney goes to the players:

"There was a $4.7m increase in player payments,
including $0.5m relating to the players share of AFL prizemoney as a result of winning the
Premiership
."

Now for the stuff to keep an eye on:

$2.4M in prepayments for merchandise and memberships paid for before 31 October.  That alone wipes out the profit.

$34M for sale of Leighoak and Bentleigh club.  $11M went to paying debt.  That is why we are "debt free"...we sold assets.

What is yet to be explained is how a Future Fund will generate the $2M of profit in the current environment, that these venues did for us, on a capital base of only $23M.  i.e. a 10% return each and every year!

I had no idea this is how it worked... so essentially if you win the premiership you have an extra 1/2 mill to play with in your salary cap?  Could you rearrange your finances so that all the prizemoney goes to the players (outside the cap) and other areas that received the bonus this year are paid a separate bonus?

I guess the amounts are so small in a relative sense (of the total salary cap) that's its really a drop in the ocean?

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Stop thinking small. We must continue to DEMAND a winning Culture 

That is why other Clubs have Supporters

We can be so much bigger than what we are. Pert understands this

Melbourne will soon be the biggest City in the Country, we must follow suit. 

Not thinking small at all just stating a fact SWYL

We have a small base because we have been success starved. Now that we are back on the winners podium we can grow the base particularly by attracting the kids. So good to see so many running around in Demons gear

We can absolutely grow and rival the Pies, Bombers, Carlton and Essendon. We carry the name of the city we reside in, play an exciting brand, have very marketable stars like Gawny and Trac and age demographic wise have a young list so can dominate for a few years. And we have a very good womens team who are capable of a flag themselves. They will attract female members hopefully.

With sustained success over the next few years we should aim for 100,000 members. No reason we can’t hit that mark

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

so essentially if you win the premiership you have an extra 1/2 mill to play with in your salary cap? 

nope

It's essentially match payments for playing extra games in the finals.

I imagine that it is divided in the same ratio as seasonal payments.

When you consider that you are paying the whole squad it really isn't a moneyspinner for the players.

Not that many years ago teams actually lost money by playing in the finals. Thus the "prizemoney"

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BDA said:

Not thinking small at all just stating a fact SWYL

We have a small base because we have been success starved. Now that we are back on the winners podium we can grow the base particularly by attracting the kids. So good to see so many running around in Demons gear

We can absolutely grow and rival the Pies, Bombers, Carlton and Essendon. We carry the name of the city we reside in, play an exciting brand, have very marketable stars like Gawny and Trac and age demographic wise have a young list so can dominate for a few years. And we have a very good womens team who are capable of a flag themselves. They will attract female members hopefully.

With sustained success over the next few years we should aim for 100,000 members. No reason we can’t hit that mark

I don’t think our Supporter base is as small as you infer

A lot of our Supporters have been watching in the shadows. 
they had had enough…

I agree with the above 

But we are not a small club. But now we do have to stand up…

• Like 1

I believe there is a large latent supporter base that has been out there but not active.  In WA now I see kids wearing their Dee's jumpers to shops now, that didn't happen before.  So we should see an active upswing.

Giving away memberships is not a bad strategy.  Membership is worth more than what we pay for them to the club.  Like frequent flyers (Huge $ value for Qantas) is a known market that  business can tap into.  The argument is do we have really cheap membership and huge numbers or use them as a income stream as we currently do.

26 minutes ago, Darkhorse72 said:

I believe there is a large latent supporter base that has been out there but not active.

Relatively well documented in past years that MFC is at the top end of turning supporters into members.

Sure there's another 10-20k members out there but building real support will require ten years of dominance a la Hawthorn

Never underestimate what 60 years of under performance can do to a club. You don't fix that in one year

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Relatively well documented in past years that MFC is at the top end of turning supporters into members.

Sure there's another 10-20k members out there but building real support will require ten years of dominance a la Hawthorn

Never underestimate what 60 years of under performance can do to a club. You don't fix that in one year

It is strange isn’t it. We have watched 60 years of pathetic performances, our rusted on supporters are old and kids have been embarrassed to wear the colours for a decade or more. 
But then we play Geelong in 2018 in finals in front of 92,000 and our supporters out number theirs 3 to 2. I believe we have ability to rebuild quicker than most clubs could. We play at the G, we are called Melbourne and have great colours (honestly who would want to wear the Hawthorn colours out?). 

Watch the rise of the Demon Phoenix 

• Like 5

On 12/10/2021 at 3:09 PM, george_on_the_outer said:

Most of the GF prizemoney goes to the players:

"There was a $4.7m increase in player payments,
including $0.5m relating to the players share of AFL prizemoney as a result of winning the
Premiership."

Now for the stuff to keep an eye on:

$2.4M in prepayments for merchandise and memberships paid for before 31 October.  That alone wipes out the profit.

$34M for sale of Leighoak and Bentleigh club.  $11M went to paying debt.  That is why we are "debt free"...we sold assets.

I imagine some of the proceeds of the sale will contribute to paying off part of the new facilities. Like other clubs we will sell the naming rights for a mill or two all going to plan. Pies get about $3 mill per annum