Farewell Shannon Byrnes

Demonland

That’s what happens when a club wins a flag. Other rival clubs poach assistants in the hope of getting a dollop of the secret sauce.  Last year he would have little hope of getting a gig elsewhere. Success sticks like chewing gum. Good luck and best wishes.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Demonland said:

That’s a shame. I always liked that he stuck around with us after he finished playing. It felt like the players responded well to him on game day

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Thanks and farewell.  Byrnes made a valuable off field contribution as player development manager. 

Agreed on the delayed timing. Maybe it was a tough call given the Dees success.   I agree Nev Jetta would have been the perfect fit for player development.  I think the role at the Dees would be highly sort after and a few good candidates should emerg. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Thanks and farewell.  Byrnes made a valuable off field contribution as player development manager. 

Agreed on the delayed timing. Maybe it was a tough call given the Dees success.   I agree Nev Jetta would have been the perfect fit for player development.  I think the role at the Dees would be highly sort after and a few good candidates should emerg. 

Jones maybe? Be great to keep him around the club. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Mission completed.  Job well done.  Thankyou.

Not sure nev jetta would have been the best fit.  I think he needed to go to another club like Yze did and come back triumphant.

But why the pies......

• Like 5

I highly regard this bloke. His coming to the Dees as a player never really worked. But he took on other roles including the runner and it appears as if the players really like him, respond to him, and were eagerly embracing him after the siren went. 

Couldn't see Nev moving straight to this role, but maybe after a brief stint at the Pies he could be lured back.

• Like 1

Surprised by this, said on here after talking with him at the pre gf training session that Geelong had in the past come calling, but a move there was was probably “too big a one for his family to make” and that he was looking to “enjoy being around for the Clubs successes” Offer too good to refuse?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1 red eye 1 blue eye said:

Surprised by this, said on here after talking with him at the pre gf training session that Geelong had in the past come calling, but a move there was was probably “too big a one for his family to make” and that he was looking to “enjoy being around for the Clubs successes” Offer too good to refuse?

either that, or the club had someone else already in mind for the role, and had a little chat with him?

• Like 2

I also thought that he looked pretty comfortable on the ground with the playing group and have never heard a bad word directed his way. That is disappointing and I hope that we don’t lose anyone else from the support team. Good luck Shannon and thanks for a job well done.

Shagger was a link from the dark days to our premiership.

He could have been a bloke just collecting a top up to his super as it was pretty clear he was close to shot in 2013. He could have written everything of as a horrible experience not worth reflecting on and to lean back into his well deserved reputation as a premiership winning Cat.

That he didn't, stuck around and contributed to the joint until this year is credit to him as a bloke. 

My memory aint what it used to be, but seem to recall that, after we recruited him, he went back to Geelong's Awards Night to be presented with their "Best Club Man" award -- in a year when I don't think he played many games with their seniors.  Seemed at the time to be a testament to the kind of guy he was.  Sorry to see him go.

• Like 1

If you're not with us then you're against us. There are lines to be drawn here and I say FOFF Burns (respectfully of course).

Now for Jonesy to take over his role... yes please!

• Love 1

I think opposition clubs are very interested in our intellectual property, or how we managed to go from ninth to first in one year. I think this is why so many from within the inner sanctum have left this season, probably for more money. 

There's Burgess, Byrnes, Nev, Daniel McPherson, etc. 

Then again it's one thing to know how an opposition club does something and another thing to implement it to the same standard.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Riv said:

Bit annoyed with the timing. This was a role that could have easily been offered up maybe to a Neville Jetta.

Yep untimely for sure, going back to Jeelong? Good luck with that! Other than our runner, what else did he do? Agree get the Jones boy in!

Edited by picket fence

9 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Yep untimely for sure, going back to Jeelong? Good luck with that! Other than our runner, what else did he do? Agree get the Jones boy in!

He was a player welfare officer. One of the most key important roles in a football club from a off field point of view.

Ignorant to question his role if you have zero idea what he actually did.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Going to the Pies is perfect for Neville.  Gets another view of clubland and enhances his experience then walk back into the Dees.  Its a possible scenario.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dee-tox said:

I think opposition clubs are very interested in our intellectual property, or how we managed to go from ninth to first in one year. I think this is why so many from within the inner sanctum have left this season, probably for more money. 

Then again it's one thing to know how an opposition club does something and another thing to implement it to the same standard.

You can't transplant culture.  Its about leadership from the top and champions and comes from within.  The Dees had/have Jones , Goodwin, Roffey, Burgess, Pert  -  then Gawn, Petracca, Oliver , Lever, and rest of team buy in. Plus many others on the sidelines - daisy,  grinter, lyon, Roos, .....

Pies moving on Buckley and eddie is a good start for them. Jetta will help as will a non-pies triple premiership player in McCrea.

11 hours ago, 1 red eye 1 blue eye said:

$$$$$

Best of luck to Shannon and family, but I do hope Geelong never make finals again in my lifetime.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Easy, 6 years of a slow, proper rebuild. Replicate that Geelong and you’ve got it.