Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

We Could Have Lost Kozzy


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

Nev was an outstanding player and role model for us, with a huge work ethic, and moral / ethical standards to match.  I want him back at the Dees one day, when the timing works for him and our Club.

  • Like 19
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Whelan has an important role.  But its really a non issue compared to what the article is making out. I would say clubs are very good at working with indigenous players today and supporting them.  Our history with our indigenous players in the past says we do the right thing by our player when we can. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Darkhorse72 said:

Whelan has an important role.  But its really a non issue compared to what the article is making out. I would say clubs are very good at working with indigenous players today and supporting them.  Our history with our indigenous players in the past says we do the right thing by our player when we can. 

Sorry Darkhouse, but I will choose to believe N.Jetta's views over yours. 

Listen to his 18 mins interview on SEN if you haven't already. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kozquito said:

Can we get a TLDR on this SEN interview please? 

Nev, just explained that the club wasn’t keen on having Koz interstate for 1 month + at a critical time in the pre-season.

But, Nev, Whelan and Maysie explained to the club the importance of the grieving time, and the need to support and trust Kozzie while he was interstate, and away from the main group.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

Nev, just explained that the club wasn’t keen on having Koz interstate for 1 month + at a critical time in the pre-season.

But, Nev, Whelan and Maysie explained to the club the importance of the grieving time, and the need to support and trust Kozzie while he was interstate, and away from the main group.

 

Thanks! And jeez, I'm glad they talked some sense into the club. Can't underestimate how important it is to have fellas around who show compassion and understanding and leadership to and for their teammates 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Kozquito said:

Thanks! And jeez, I'm glad they talked some sense into the club. Can't underestimate how important it is to have fellas around who show compassion and understanding and leadership to and for their teammates 

Even though Nev has gone and worked for the pies, I would be highly surprised if he would spread mis-truths on the topic. 

When he says "we could have lost Koz, if it wasn't handled delicately" (ie if he was forced to come back to training early), then I take his word for it. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have known about Jetta's influence for some time, but Steven May has been massive for the team on and off the field after a poor 1st year ... his on field actions, direction, and now also off field behaviors is at an all time high ... players have been quoted saying they would hate playing on him, he gave strong direction at half time in the gf, helping kossie ... just the way he talks and represents the club ... wouldn't have a problem if he was elevated to VC with Jack

Edited by Demons1858
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Click-bait title but important issues spoken about. I knew Matty Whelan still had his indigenous role at the club but it’s interesting to hear firstly how important it was compared to what the rest of the club knew, but also that it’s not something that was a mandated role until now. Sounds like with his knowledge we were able to create a strong bond with Kozzie that hopefully will never end!

I’m really sad we’ve lost Nev (and going to the pies, urgh!) but he’s been in one system his entire footballing life so getting out into something new will be great for him, and he’s also seemingly gone where he’s needed the most. I hope in the future he’ll come back in some capacity, and I just hope the Pies are good to him. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 1964_2 said:

Nev, just explained that the club wasn’t keen on having Koz interstate for 1 month + at a critical time in the pre-season.

But, Nev, Whelan and Maysie explained to the club the importance of the grieving time, and the need to support and trust Kozzie while he was interstate, and away from the main group.

 

Isn't compassionate leave how we lost (an injured) Liam Jurrah?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tiers said:

Isn't compassionate leave how we lost (an injured) Liam Jurrah?

To be fair, it was amazing that we kept Jurrah for as long as we did. He was straight out of a remote mission wasn't he? That's a big big step to go from there to Melbourne.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pates said:

Click-bait title but important issues spoken about. I knew Matty Whelan still had his indigenous role at the club but it’s interesting to hear firstly how important it was compared to what the rest of the club knew, but also that it’s not something that was a mandated role until now. Sounds like with his knowledge we were able to create a strong bond with Kozzie that hopefully will never end!

I’m really sad we’ve lost Nev (and going to the pies, urgh!) but he’s been in one system his entire footballing life so getting out into something new will be great for him, and he’s also seemingly gone where he’s needed the most. I hope in the future he’ll come back in some capacity, and I just hope the Pies are good to him. 

I'm interested in a couple of the bigger picture parts to this story. There's a reference to a requirement that all AFL clubs have an indigenous liaison officer. My questions, which are really quite simple for anyone in the know are as follows:

  • is this the role Matthew Whelan has?
  • if so, for how long has he been doing it?
  • I gather Jetta is now doing this at Collingwood. Did Collingwood have someone else doing this role before Jetta, or is he that club's first indigenous liaison officer?

The answers to the above might shed some light on the relative values of Melbourne and Collingwood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, faultydet said:

To be fair, it was amazing that we kept Jurrah for as long as we did. He was straight out of a remote mission wasn't he? That's a big big step to go from there to Melbourne.

I seem to recall Jim Stynes claiming the move by Jurrah from the outback to Melbourne was a bigger culture shock for Jurrah than Stynes moving from Dublin to Melbourne. And I don't think the media took that comment seriously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I seem to recall Jim Stynes claiming the move by Jurrah from the outback to Melbourne was a bigger culture shock for Jurrah than Stynes moving from Dublin to Melbourne. And I don't think the media took that comment seriously.

Agree with Jim.

Those missions are like 3rd world countries where to a large extent, traditional laws are followed. It's another planet from there to inner city Melbourne and it's saturation AFL coverage.

Remarkable he survived in the AFL as long as he did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, tiers said:

Isn't compassionate leave how we lost (an injured) Liam Jurrah?

Bit of a different scenario, there was a murder in Liams community, he felt guilty as he wasn’t there and Yuendumu itself descended into not much better than a war zone.

 

Slightly off topic, locals at Yuendumu think Liam’s 16yo son has inherited his dad’s football ability 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm interested in a couple of the bigger picture parts to this story. There's a reference to a requirement that all AFL clubs have an indigenous liaison officer. My questions, which are really quite simple for anyone in the know are as follows:

  • is this the role Matthew Whelan has?
  • if so, for how long has he been doing it?
  • I gather Jetta is now doing this at Collingwood. Did Collingwood have someone else doing this role before Jetta, or is he that club's first indigenous liaison officer?

The answers to the above might shed some light on the relative values of Melbourne and Collingwood.

Don't hold me to the exact details but Lord was my favorite player and I've had a number of conversations with him and take a real interest in the indigenous boys and girls.

  •  not exactly, Nev seems to have a couple of roles at the Magpies. I believe he will continue to play for their VFL side , have a development role, be an assistant coach working with the defence and be the indigenous liason officer mandated by the AFL. I really hope Nev has an impact on the Collingwood culture but I think he may have a difficult time of it. Wreckers job is full time which is what the AFL have mandated and I believe the AFL have allowed some concessions to the soft cap to allow for the introduction of the role. Collingwood seems to have taken  the money and given Nev a number of roles that suit the CFC. They would argue that they don't have a lot of indigenous players at the moment. I'm sure Aliesha Newman will love having Nev come on board however.
  • I'm not sure what you're asking but if you mean Wrecker, I believe he has been in the role since 2017 and spent time with Essondrug in a similar role prior to that. Whelan has been instrumental in our support of NT football and in particular the Santa Teresa project.
  • No, Collingwood didn't have anyone in the role previously and that's pretty obvious from the "culture" of that Club. Essendon are the obvious forerunner in this space but the MFC is a close second in my opinion. About half the comp had no such position until it was mandated  approx. 6 weeks ago.
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    DISMANTLE by The Oracle

    The Flagmantle dynasty has been in train for less than half a season but on Saturday evening at the MCG its hopes are set to be derailed when it meets the team from Narrm. If you’re still living back in the days before the start of the 2022 AFL season then my opening comment probably makes very little sense. This is because very few people had heard of Narrm at the time and most folk could not then have anticipated the AFL’s early season rise of the Fremantle Dockers whose fans went into r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CALM OF NARRM by George On The Outer

    In a fitting opening to the Doug Nicholls Round, the haunting voice of Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu spread calm around a near empty, misty Docklands stadium. Meanwhile, the Narrm players, quietly warming up pre-game, seemed to take on the same calmness for their upcoming task against North Melbourne.   Sure, this was the top of the ladder premiership side playing the lowly cellar dweller, but this Demons side is now one who just quietly go about their job, and slowly ever so slowly and ca

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NIGHTMARES OF NARRM by Whispering Jack

    Narrm Time has arrived in our city as the Melbourne Football Club takes the name Narrm Football Club as part of the 2022 AFL Sir Doug Nicholls Round. This week will see the reigning premier pay respect to the region the club calls home — the land of the Wurundjeri people and their culture, language and memory. The team will wear its indigenous guernsey designed by Wurundjeri/Dja Dja Wurrung artist Ky-ya Nicholson Ward and what better way to wear it than with a win over North Melbourne Football C

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WESTERN SUNSET by George on the Outer

    It was the top of the table Demons who inflicted their highest ever defeat of the Eagles, thereby ensuring that the sun has finally set on their long dynasty out West.  The final margin was 74 points but it was the final quarter barrage of seven goals which definitively signalled to the meagre West Coast opposition and supporters exactly who was in control.  That was after a similar six goal to one opening quarter, but hey … why not boo and complain about every decision that went aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    ON THE RAMPAGE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons had it easy on a windy day under sunny skies at the home of the VFL Kangaroos at Arden Street on Sunday. They caught the hapless Roos who were badly depleted by injury on the hop and disposed of them with little trouble. It was the second time in consecutive seasons that Casey inflicted a 100 plus points defeat on the Roos who had no answers for an opponent on the rampage. When the game started, Casey was without three important forward line components in Mitch Brown, Ka

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    RISING TO PHOENIX by William from West Perth

    On Sunday, when the Melbourne Football Club returns to the scene of the club’s most famous victory of the 21st Century, the feeling out there on the ground will most certainly be different. The dying moments of the night of 25 September, 2021 at Optus Stadium marked a team rising to the level of a Phoenix, bathing in the cheers and adulation from an adoring crowd in the wake of their premiership victory after so many years of hardship and desolation. This time around they can expect a main

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TO THE SWORD by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons closed off their game against the Southport Sharks with a comfortable 30-point win off the back of a monster six goal opening term in which they put the Southport Sharks to the sword and kept them scoreless.  Despite losing Toby Bedford to AFL medical sub duty, Majak Daw and Bailey Laurie, the Demons still fielded a strong list of 13 MFC players and also managed to blood two more local newcomers in Tyler Edwards and Tom Macrae after adding four debutants last week. The Shar

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NO HEAVEN FOR SAINTS by George on the Outer

    Just when St.Kilda thought it was heading toward Saintly Heaven in Season 2022, it was brought crashing to earth quickly by the ruthless Demons machine. It wasn’t a long drawn out process before the Saints discovered how fragile they were. The Demons simply took the game apart in the first quarter piling on four goals against a paltry three  behinds. Even when Membrey was going to score a major right on the ¼ time bell from 15m out in front, he failed to bypass the outstretched hands of Har

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COVID PROOF FENCE by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne fans breathed a sigh of relief last Saturday when their team managed to beat Hawthorn and the Covid19 outbreak that left it without coach Simon Goodwin and five premiership players – Luke Jackson, Kysaiah Pickett, Tom Sparrow, Harrison Petty and Alex Neal-Bullen. The 10-point win was meritorious not just because the Demons overcame the loss of the coach and key players but also due to the way in which they survived the tension surrounding the club in the 72 hours leading up to the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    YIPS by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a bout of goal kicking yips and a last quarter Box Hill Hawks comeback to record a thrilling 7 point away from home victory on Sunday. With senior affiliate Melbourne fighting a Covid breakout and some injury concerns to their listed players, Casey turned to youth and called up locals Zac Andrewartha, Matthew Johnson and Harvey Neocleous to join Matt Buntine, a local product who was part of the inaugural GWS Giants list.  The team made a slow start but took co

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    DEPLETED NOT DEFEATED by George on the Outer

    With Covid 19 ravaging the club, forcing the absence of five players from last week and some more premiership players still sidelined or returning after isolating, it was certainly a depleted Melbourne side that turned up to front Hawthorn in their Round 7 match up at the MCG. Normally, when a team loses ¼ of its soldiers, you would expect a less than favourable result but after the Hawks opened up a 2 goal lead in the opening minutes (and indeed, it could have been more) the Demon machine

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NO COMEBACKS by The Oracle

    Q:  How do the Hawks come back after being 32-0 early, leading at every interval and then conceding nine goals in the last quarter to lose to the Swans by 41 points in the comfort and safety of their second home down in Launceston? A:  If they’re playing the Demons at the G off a five-day break, there are no comebacks. They simply won’t come back! That’s the short form preview of the Melbourne v Hawthorn match up at the Home of Football this weekend. That is not to dismiss the you

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 1

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...