Farewell Luke Jackson

Lucifers Hero

I didn't want Jesse leave. But we ended up with May so turned out to be a big net win for us

If we can convert the picks received for Jackson into a KPF such as Ben King then it will be a net win. I hope our recruiting team have been in Ben Kings ear ( i know he's contracted so he won't come in this year but maybe next year is a possibility??)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Think there is enough smoke to be concerned about a fire right now. Particularly with "in the know" posters suggesting as such.

While we shouldn't give up on re-signing him, I think the club would also be canvassing all there options in the event he does leave for WA. West Coast would obviously be the preferable option as Freo have very little trade capital as it sits. They've traded out their 2nd and 3rd round picks this year so only have pick 15 and a pick in the 70s currently. Maybe they will acquire something for Lobb but as it stands, freos first offer would probably be something like 15 and Sturt or Meek.

We dont need any Meek players from Sturt !

At the end of the day Jacko played a crucial role in the greatest 15 mins in the club's history. He should always be appreciated and respected by our fans for being part of the team that brought the cup home. I don't really understand a 21yo wanting to go home to mum and dad but whatever, it's his life. Get the trade right and move on. 

• Like 2

Jackson is a good prospect, but nothing more at this stage. If the asking price is any more than $500K per season, then let him go.

Unfortunately we are not in a strong bargaining position. We'll be lucky to walk away with a top 10 pick and a developing ruck / KPP.

We definitely need to find a key forward in the trade period though and a backup ruck.

As long as the trade works for us I've got no issue with losing Jackson.  He's a barely adequate tap ruck and as he gets heavier his leap will be less a factor.  He has shown no interest in approaching aerial contests with anything like the requisite aggression. He constantly gets outmarked.  I loved his third quarter in last years GF but his influence there has been a bit overblown - almost an inverse to last night where the rucks have copped heat for what was in effect the inability of the mids to get the job done.  In the GF the mids made Jackson look better than he actually was.

I think he'll turn into a decent AFL utility player but at this stage he's really not fit to carry Gawn's bags.  And I don't say that as a "scorned lover",.  He won't ever be an elite ruck, and by going to Freo, if that's where it is to be, he's confirmed that he doesn't think he will be either.  There's no way he's playing ruck ahead of Darcy.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

Does anyone have any idea when the EBA for salary caps comes out? We are not the only club sweating on what we can afford to pay players in the shorter term. With the exception of the elite, there are a few good players seating on a pay rise as well as proposed raising of the soft cap. 

16 hours ago, wheaters31 said:

Thank you for passing on your mail as always 

Was holding out hope, but that's that.....Hoperfully we get plenty in return.

When he didn't pass the ball to Kossie, and then decided to kick it himself, that really made me think enough.. and of course that would explain the drop off..

I will be concerned if he takes a possie of a bloke like Weideman who has stayed extremely loyal.

And by the way two wins while not in the team.

If Jackson wants to go home, that's WA. I have zero interest in helping him get to Freo, because after 3 years at the club, where we made him a rising star, premiership player and worthy of a million dollar contract, we frankly owe him absolutely nothing.
We certainly don't owe making him a premiership player at Freo, who is our direct competitor. 

We have done nothing but right by him, and if he chooses to screw us on the way out (and yes that is a big if), then I hope we play hardball and make him go to West Coast or he can end up at North.

Our club can't afford to stuff around during this premiership window, as it might not come around again for a long long time. 

• Like 18
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

If Jackson wants to go home, that's WA. I have zero interest in helping him get to Freo, because after 3 years at the club, where we made him a rising star, premiership player and worthy of a million dollar contract, we frankly owe him absolutely nothing.
We certainly don't owe making him a premiership player at Freo, who is our direct competitor. 

We have done nothing but right by him, and if he chooses to screw us on the way out (and yes that is a big if), then I hope we play hardball and make him go to West Coast or he can end up at North.

Our club can't afford to stuff around during this premiership window, as it might not come around again for a long long time. 

If he appreciated what he has received from us, he would stay for 2 more years (despite wanting to go home). 

If he goes this year, I think it just shows that he thinks he is a superstar and we were lucky to have his services. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

15 minutes ago, willmoy said:

I will be concerned if he takes a possie of a bloke like Weideman who has stayed extremely loyal.

And by the way two wins while not in the team.

Can’t read much into that stat, given our 2 games without him have been Hawks and crows.

Just got over the line against the hawks without him :- Hawks without their usual ruck, and Gawn dominant 

3 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

If he appreciated what he has received from us, he would stay for 2 more years (despite wanting to go home). 

If he goes this year, I think it just shows that he thinks he is a superstar and we were lucky to have his services.

LOL.  If we hadn't taken him he would be at the Suns!  He would be going back to WA on a not much better than average contract, having achieved nothing.

A general comment:  I'll save my angst until we know 1) he is going and 2) where he is going 3) what the deal is. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I think this is where we need to be really strong as a club. We need to tell him that, if we take at face value he is genuinely homesick, then we'll facilitate a trade in good faith. But it's to whoever gives us the best deal. And then we say to Freo and WC, cough up and we WILL trade him to whoever offers us the most, no walking him through the draft WC or he goes to Freo, no low balling us Freo or he goes to WC.

If he doesn't like it and wants to nominate a club and screw us over, then we tell him 'No deal, enjoy your year at North'.

• Like 7
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

That’s why we have the whip hand in this trade situation. Freo, you want Jackson, fine, offer more than WC, or we are sending him there. You don’t like that Luke? Have fun at North. No way North Melbourne let that opportunity pass. They cannot afford to.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 3183 Dee said:

We would want a pick(s) to compensate: The Pick 3 we paid + the return on investment + Premiership Player + Rising Star + The huge inconvenience to our planning/system.

Whoever we deal with needs to be ready to put forward a realistic package.

That generally does not happen.

For example, we used AFL compo pick 2 on Hogan, but got 6 in return from Freo

If a trade came to be, I'd prefer us to retain Gus and trade Dogga + our 2nd rounder (about 36) for Andrew Brayshaw, but can't see Freo doing that in a million years. That would make Peter Bell look more ridiculous than Boris Johnson

Edited by Stiff Arm

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

I think this is where we need to be really strong as a club. We need to tell him that, if we take at face value he is genuinely homesick, then we'll facilitate a trade in good faith. But it's to whoever gives us the best deal. And then we say to Freo and WC, cough up and we WILL trade him to whoever offers us the most, no walking him through the draft WC or he goes to Freo, no low balling us Freo or he goes to WC.

If he doesn't like it and wants to nominate a club and screw us over, then we tell him 'No deal, enjoy your year at North'.

That’s it. If he isn’t happy with either WCE or Freo, then the “homesick” excuse is not the main factor! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Cerra, to his credit, did the right thing by freo last year. I expect Jackson to do the right thing by us in any trade. 

• Like 1

Home is WA, we must get the best trade we can from which ever WA based club. If not he can enjoy his year at the Roos.

Pretty ordinary he didn’t flag his intentions last year when we could have secured cerra as part of a deal. 

• Like 3

Just now, KingDingAling said:

That’s why we have the whip hand in this trade situation. Freo, you want Jackson, fine, offer more than WC, or we are sending him there. You don’t like that Luke? Have fun at North. No way North Melbourne let that opportunity pass. They cannot afford to.

Correct. North won't finish above West Coast, and they also have all the money in the world, so even if Jackson puts a price on his head they can pay it. They certainly have more cap space than Freo! 

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, GCDee said:

Pretty ordinary he didn’t flag his intentions last year when we could have secured cerra as part of a deal. 

This kills me. Freo enquired about Jackson and we rightly said bugger off. If Jackson had said to us look I am probably heading home at the end of this contract, then of course you make that deal happen because it's actually a win win and a fair deal all around. Cerra is a gun and would make us a better side.

To do it this year when Freo has bugger all to give us in terms of picks, is just infuriating! 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Correct. North won't finish above West Coast, and they also have all the money in the world, so even if Jackson puts a price on his head they can pay it. They certainly have more cap space than Freo! 

Plus then they get to plan a trade for next year. And they get more than they paid for him

1 minute ago, GCDee said:

Home is WA, we must get the best trade we can from which ever WA based club. If not he can enjoy his year at the Roos.

WCE currently have preseason draft pick #2. At $1mill pa Norf might pass on him

Can't see Dogga doing that though