Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL Trade Period

Elwood 3184

None of the other clubs were willing to pay him as much as Collingwood after their salary dump last year they have lots of money to throw at fringe players from other clubs or maybe they had a gentlemans agreement after clearing Treloar to the Bulldogs last year.

27 minutes ago, adonski said:

What did they have to argue? He wasn't getting a gig anytime soon in their midfield & is out of contract.

Is he is as good as the bulldogs were suggesting to lift his value then he would have played ...  the last 3 or so players in their starting 22 aren't that talented ... surely if he was any good he would have got more of a gig rotating up forward/wing/very occasionally in the midfield like a Sparrow or Jordan

The problem with this draft period is the lack of decent quality cattle on the market. 

The best in show has been Adam Cerra but there was no real competition for his signature after it became clear that Melbourne didn’t have the currency to make an offer to prize him away from Fremantle so he goes to Carlton as if by default. The next best is Sydney’s Jordan Dawson who has nominated Adelaide and will get there on Wednesday night.

Today, the only deal that was done was Patrick Lipinski to the Pies for a third-round Pick 43. There’s something about the third round of this year’s draft - just about every pick in that round has changed hands!

I think that tomorrow will be the day of the ruckmen with a bevy of them lining up to move house. 

A few other threads have to be tied together but whatever …

Done Deals

15. The Western Bulldogs trade Patrick Lipinsky to Collingwood for a third-round pick (43).

• Like 1

Perhaps there is not enough money in the salary cap to entice players to move.

As for third round picks, well the success of the Dees is with picks under pick 40; not 3rd rounders.  Exceptions are TMc, rookies Jordon and Harmes, and ANB who is on the cusp. (Hunt yes, but not in the premiership team).  The only fail so far is the Weid.

So trade away your 3rd round picks.

55 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

I see Daw as more a ruck/forward type.

I know ruckman are hard to find, but there may be a solid mature option out there.

They clearly liked Majak’s work at Casey and he should be a lot fitter doing a preseason this summer. Plenty of rucks out there but it’s hard to attract someone to be our 3rd ruck I’d imagine, most of the guys moving are to be the 2nd or 3rd string option in better circumstances for them. It would be even harder convince someone to be our 4th choice option.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

They clearly liked Majak’s work at Casey and he should be a lot fitter doing a preseason this summer. Plenty of rucks out there but it’s hard to attract someone to be our 3rd ruck I’d imagine, most of the guys moving are to be the 2nd or 3rd string option in better circumstances for them. It would be even harder convince someone to be our 4th choice option.

Majak could be the surprise "package" of 2022.

If his footy IQ matures to catch up with his talent he could have a good couple of years, if he can crack a game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Remember Daw is 31 going on 32 and Gawn is 29 going on 30 a ruckman in his early 20's or late teens would have a great grounding learning from these older players without being thrown to the wolves by playing in the ones when he is not ready.

Also we have settled on a 2 ruck combination so we need the backup for Gawn and Jackson in the short term, we could use TMac, Brown or Weids in a pinch as the 2nd ruck.  

• Like 1

I will probably be in the minority here, but I'm not sold on Jackson becoming the number 1 ruck post Gawn. 

He is such a versatile weapon as 2nd string. He was clunking his marks up forward with more confidence in a few games late in the season. I'm hoping he stays as a utility and we develop/trade another number 1 ruck for when Gawny finally steps down with his 5 premierships. 

• Like 2

Not one player who is about above a C+ has been traded or talked about being traded.

Putting aside our Melbourne bias for a second (as I have thought this for a long time) it is a disgrace that so much energy goes into the trade period so soon after the finals.

If good players were being talked about being traded I would understand, but Bobby Hill changing teams is about as relevant and interesting as eating cardboard.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, BAMF said:

I will probably be in the minority here, but I'm not sold on Jackson becoming the number 1 ruck post Gawn. 

He is such a versatile weapon as 2nd string. He was clunking his marks up forward with more confidence in a few games late in the season. I'm hoping he stays as a utility and we develop/trade another number 1 ruck for when Gawny finally steps down with his 5 premierships. 

This is why I think Toby Conway is a real possibility for Pick 17.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BAMF said:

The thing is for that type of player he is a pup and has made a serious contribution to us winning a flag. He has lots of development left yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Not one player who is about a C+ has been traded or talked about being traded.

Putting aside our Melbourne bias for a second (as I have thought this for a long time) it is a disgrace that so much energy goes into the trade period so soon after the finals.

If good players were being talked about being traded I would understand, but Bobby Hill changing teams is about as relevant and interesting as eating cardboard.

Eventually free agency will expand with players eligible after 6 or even 4 years. Then the league can have a free agency window that opens in about mid or late October and kicks off with 72 hours of madness. Teams will be making trades then to facilitate signing other players.

Then the actual trade deadline can be moved to February and lower level trades will occur on time lines that suit both parties up until the deadline.

It will give the grand final some much deserved space, be fairer on players and will still be a big media event. With the benefit of some action rather than 2 weeks of covering the ruck roundabout 

Edited by DeeSpencer

53 minutes ago, durango said:

Kane Cornes summed it up that the recruiting by our peers has done nothing to narrow the gap.

Disagree with Cornes.

The Bulldogs had a problem with taller defenders and have picked up 192cm defender Tim Obrien from Hawthorn. A very good move that will make their defence better than it was.

24 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Not one player who is about a C+ has been traded or talked about being traded.

Depends how hungry you are CB.

I used to dream of a time when this trade period would mean little to me.

Oh my God it is here I don't give two hoots about it this year.

Let those inferior teams fight over third grade talents.

Am I being arrogant?

YES!

Edited by old dee
  • Haha 5

I love how the MFC made their moves early and now sits back waiting for the AFL November Draft to add to it playing list.

It is the first year that the highlight to our year is not the draft and the new players we are adding to our list in an attempt to win the holy grail of the AFL.

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

A Majak Daw type perhaps? 

i think we might have a look at a cal sinclair or sam naismith type from the swans both OOC and Naismith a UFA next season to fill that role for a few seasons given Daw's age and presumed frailty long term. Also could stanley or save be available once ceglar joins on

17 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Disagree with Cornes.

The Bulldogs had a problem with taller defenders and have picked up 192cm defender Tim Obrien from Hawthorn. A very good move that will make their defence better than it was.

If you think a Hawthorn reject makes them better, I think they should have picked Talia who has a great record as an AFL Backman in my humble opinion.

• Like 1