Road to the Draft Podcast - Jason Taylor

adonski

Love this guy - almost faultless in his picks over the journey and has made some risky choices that have all paid off.

Obviously, he sticks to a script to ensure he doesn't give anything away and only talks about the players that have been widely reported as high picks but great to hear this legend's voice either way.

• Like 5

Agree Demonstone, I love the way he speaks about our players, sounds like a very proud parent and I love that they devised the recruiting strategy in 2013 to build a great list and keep them together and that the team is now where he felt they should be. He loves Bowser.

• Like 3

you can tell how [censored] off he is about the conditions with mac, and feels really stiffed out of a player there and tried to call him raw wheneber he gets the chance and stress that he was never in any pathways to try and lower his value

re farmer he sounds like its not going to happen at all, the way he said i hope he enjoyed his weeks here and continues to develop his footy

taj i'd say is a lock to be picked up, crafty mid/hb

has not missed yet this bloke ticks in all the last few drafts, super impressive and has my full faith in what he brings in this time around.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 10:27 PM, whatwhat say what said:

interesting comments re mac andrew

sounds like the club is a bit, well, 'aggrieved', that the change to the rule was brought in this season

as we should be, really

The impression that I got from him on Mac Andrew was somewhat different. Taylor says that Andrew was at our very first (NGA) training session at 14 but was still very much a raw prospect prior to Covid. He wasn’t involved in any major programmes such as the Vic Country squads although he did some work with the Dandenong Stingrays and it’s only this year that he’s made significant growth. It sounded to me as if Taylor and the club weren’t taking all that much credit for his recent improvement.

As to the changes in the rules, he said he hadn’t been involved in the politics but he felt that there might have been a bit of a knee jerk reaction in the decision-making. He said the AFL might have taken into consideration whether players had been involved in academy programmes before removing access to them. The impression I got was that because the club hadn’t been so heavily involved in Andrew’s development over the years, he was philosophical about the prospect of losing him. At no time however, did he say one way or the other whether he thought Andrew would go top 20. 

On Taj Woewodin, he said he was a terrific young man who was making significant improvement in his midfield craft after previously playing off half back (and might also play forward a bit). The club has spoken with him and although the (Covid) situation has blocked attempts to get him over here, he’s in the WA Under 19 squad and the club will closely track his progress. Reading between lines, I think we will be drafting him in November. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

The impression that I got from him on Mac Andrew was somewhat different. Taylor says that Andrew was at our very first (NGA) training session at 14 but was still very much a raw prospect prior to Covid. He wasn’t involved in any major programmes such as the Vic Country squads although he did some work with the Dandenong Stingrays and it’s only this year that he’s made significant growth. It sounded to me as if Taylor and the club weren’t taking all that much credit for his recent improvement.

As to the changes in the rules, he said he hadn’t been involved in the politics but he felt that there might have been a bit of a knee jerk reaction in the decision-making. He said the AFL might have taken into consideration whether players had been involved in academy programmes before removing access to them. The impression I got was that because the club hadn’t been so heavily involved in Andrew’s development over the years, he was philosophical about the prospect of losing him. At no time however, did he say one way or the other whether he thought Andrew would go top 20. 

On Taj Woewodin, he said he was a terrific young man who was making significant improvement in his midfield craft after previously playing off half back (and might also play forward a bit). The club has spoken with him and although the (Covid) situation has blocked attempts to get him over here, he’s in the WA Under 19 squad and the club will closely track his progress. Reading between lines, I think we will be drafting him in November. 

Yeah Taylor is cagey in how he handles these interviews - to me he was doing everything he could to push Andrew Mac down the order so we could still nab him - eg was at pains to point out he hasn't been involved in vic metro/country squads and that he's very raw.

On the one hand does this really effect anything?  Maybe / Maybe not - but I guess swaying the views of Cal Twomey is valuable and anyone who has a view / follows the draft probably listens to this podcast

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

Yeah Taylor is cagey in how he handles these interviews - to me he was doing everything he could to push Andrew Mac down the order so we could still nab him - eg was at pains to point out he hasn't been involved in vic metro/country squads and that he's very raw.

On the one hand does this really effect anything?  Maybe / Maybe not - but I guess swaying the views of Cal Twomey is valuable and anyone who has a view / follows the draft probably listens to this podcast

I wonder how much the success of a player like Luke Jackson has inspired the apparent interest in Mac Andrew?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

shouldn't be too hard to do considering i doubt he'll apply for the draft, ;) Mac Andrew on the other hand, well we can hope

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I interpreted it differently. I thought he was trying to be diplomatic, but effectively saying, we've invested in Andrew since he was 13-14, we stuck with him, even though he didn't feature in rep squads and now the AFL is pulling the rug out from under us. He was therefore advocating for a more staged withdrawal to correspond with their investment in NGA prospects. Had we known that our dwindling resources directed to the NGA kids would bear no fruit, I imagine it would have been directed elsewhere (not because it wasn't a great programme). I also thought  it was a casual swipe at the dogs for either a) making out like bandits in general or b) making out like bandits without notable investment in JUH (that is supposition). 

• Like 2