Time to panic?

41 minutes ago, Sydee said:

No point panicking

We are either the real deal or just had a nice run and the reality bus is about to crash into us head on 

Tbh my 50 plus years supporting this club would suggest the head on collision is imminent - I would love to think I’m wrong but when you look at the last few weeks and the run home this team has it work cut out 

At last! 56 years for me. Lost count the number of times I have seen this scenario. The vultures are circling.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, CYB said:

No not yet. Will be after Thursday night though. 

I think we will rally. It will be tough but I think at least we will turn up and give it our all.

If the club makes the necessary changes and we play our best. We can win.

Its is a season defining game.

• Like 1

I have always believed that the best time to panic is when you are on top of the ladder.

I mean, it just makes sense yeah?

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I think we will rally. It will be tough but I think at least we will turn up and give it our all.

What, aren't you the guy who started this thread about panicking?

1 hour ago, Hampton 22 said:

The optimist in me says minor mid-season slump. The pessimist says we have yet to gain sufficient points to make the finals. The trouble is that 50 years plus of following the team does not make me an optimist.

I think this team is different, they didn’t fold yesterday, I thought we outplayed them most of game yesterday especially second half. Just could not kick straight and umpires, especially Margetts killed us..

12-3 in a close season…let’s not look for things to be negative about right now. 5%* off in any given game and you’re going to lose. 

*Number picked at random, for demonstrative purposes only, it could even be 3% (for the nit-pickers who may ask how I arrived at 5%).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan Trembley said:

12-3 in a close season…let’s not look for things to be negative about right now. 5%* off in any given game and you’re going to lose. 

*Number picked at random, for demonstrative purposes only, it could even be 3% (for the nit-pickers who may ask how I arrived at 5%).

Always found if you make it an abstract number like say, 4.32%, people think you put more scientific rigour into working it out!!

• Haha 1

R17: Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval - win
R18: Hawthorn @ MCG - win
R19: Gold Coast @ Metricon Stadium - win
R20: Western Bulldogs @ MCG - loss
R21: West Coast @ Optus Stadium - percentage boosting win
R22: Adelaide @ MCG - payback win
R23: Geelong @ GMHBA Stadium - draw

No, we don’t have to panic. 

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

FWIW Liam Pickering had a good take on Crunch Time (SEN) today. Reckons it’s just a little dip in form and our issues are fixable with games under the belt in the run home. 
there was a 10-15 min segment discussing Dees and the theme was ‘no panic yet’ 

Wait until next week mate!!

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

We definitely need the form and a 4 quarter solid effort. Chase hard and set up for a win. 

21 minutes ago, CYB said:

We definitely need the form and a 4 quarter solid effort. Chase hard and set up for a win. 

I don't mean to be flippant, but I shudder to think how many behinds we would kick with  "4 quarter effort". What is the record? Opposition fullback would end up with a lisfranc fracture!!

P.s. would love better goal kicking.

Is me panicking over something I have no say in going to make a difference to any of the outcomes?

nah. 

I think I will let the people and players that are paid the big bucks decide if it is time to panic. 

l’m looking at you Goodwin. 15 games into the season and you still have no idea on how to structure the forwards.

• Like 2

We dominated the Bulldogs and smashed Brisbane in the second half. They're our two biggest threats at this stage. They sit 1st and 3rd. We're certainly not pretenders. Pretenders are football teams that smack the lowly sides and struggle against the top sides. I'd put Port, Bulldogs and maybe even Geelong in this category, based on their performances this year.

We've simply not turned up mentally for our three losses to much lower ranked teams and yet we could have won all of them in the last quarter.

Are we a chance to slip out of the top 4 at the end of the season? Yes. Do I think we will? No.

I'd expect us to beat Port, so it'll be interesting to see how we go.

As for the Bulldogs, they've had a dream draw and one of their toughest assignments was West Coast in Perth and they ended up playing to a vacant house. Very lucky. I think the Bulldogs will come unstuck. Every time they've been challenged this year they've crumbled.

Edited by A F
Edit. Haha wrong thread. Still holds.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, A F said:

We dominated the Bulldogs and smashed Brisbane in the second half. They're our two biggest threats at this stage. They sit 1st and 3rd. We're certainly not pretenders. Pretenders are football teams that smack the lowly sides and struggle against the top sides. I'd put Port, Bulldogs and maybe even Geelong in this category, based on their performances this year.

We've simply not turned up mentally for our three losses to much lower ranked teams and yet we could have won all of them in the last quarter.

Are we a chance to slip out of the top 4 at the end of the season? Yes. Do I think we will? No.

I'd expect us to beat Port, so it'll be interesting to see how we go.

As for the Bulldogs, they've had a dream draw and one of their toughest assignments was West Coast in Perth and they ended up playing to a vacant house. Very lucky. I think the Bulldogs will come unstuck. Every time they've been challenged this year they've crumbled.

Yep...VFL quality backlines don't win flags

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adonski said:

Yep...VFL quality backlines don't win flags

The main reason IMV that the Bulldogs are judged differently this year to us is that they won the flag in 2016 and it's got a bit of the Hawks 2008 vs 2013-2015 about it. That's why the likes of King are trying to tip a Bulldogs dynasty. 

But as you say, the Bulldogs' defensive system and personnel isn't good enough. Their midfield is excellent, but there should be questions at both ends of the ground for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A F said:

The main reason IMV that the Bulldogs are judged differently this year to us is that they won the flag in 2016 and it's got a bit of the Hawks 2008 vs 2013-2015 about it. That's why the likes of King are trying to tip a Bulldogs dynasty. 

But as you say, the Bulldogs' defensive system and personnel isn't good enough. Their midfield is excellent, but there should be questions at both ends of the ground for them.

They're the anti-Melbourne, look a million bucks against the obviously inferior sides but can't take a scalp, even lost to Richmond who look cooked. I'd rather drop a couple of bad games against lower sides than get smashed by the other sides in the top 4.....on the provision we can lock away a top 4 spot ofcourse..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hampton 22 said:

The optimist in me says minor mid-season slump. The pessimist says we have yet to gain sufficient points to make the finals. The trouble is that 50 years plus of following the team does not make me an optimist.

I’m right there with you, 22. At age 70, I have about 65 years of support for the Demons I can recall. So, after a great first 10 years, my optimism has been beaten down, down and down.

But the Demons aren’t the only ones with the form slump. I was seven games clear in my little tipping competition just three weeks ago. Since then I’ve come back to the field, not just with the two Melbourne losses. I’ve found it hard to pick winners at all. I must be too much in synch with this team. Come on boys, snap out of it!

• Like 4