Coach Killers

Demonland

3 hours ago, BAMF said:

I was listening to ABC radio on the 186 game day in the car.

Pre-game all the talk was how we were starting to track ok and looked like we were finally improving.

I ran out of reception for the nearly entire game. When i tuned back in, Gerald Whately said

"The Demons have lost by 186 points, and the only question is ; do they sack the coach now or later in the week?"

This is dredging up memories I was sure I had successfully repressed. Still stands as the second biggest thumping in VFL/AFL history. Dark, dark times. Second only to the biggest thumping in history three decades earlier, in 1979, again the Dees, this time at the hands of Fitzroy. I wasn’t at that match; but I did attend the grannie that year (with my brother, a CFC-tragic of the highest order). When the final siren sounded, since it was such a close finish with just a kick in it, the scenes were next-level hectic. I looked around at all the Blues supporters hugging, crying tears of joy; the players, totally spent but still able to muster the strength to do the usual stacks-on thing. And I distinctly remember, as clear as if it happened yesterday, thinking, ‘This will be us one day. This’ll be the Dees, and I’ll know what this feels like.’

That was 42 years ago and like all of us here, I’m still waiting. It’s a good thing we’re patient, right?

CARNA MIGHTY DEES!!!

❤️?❤️?❤️?

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Apologies for the thread hijack, but a final word from me on crossword puzzles .

I love them so much, my will stipulates that I be buried six down and two across.

Love it!

Since this is Demonland and dwelling on definitions and split hairs is kind of our thing, I'd also add that the coach killer for Neeld was definitely 148, rather than the loss to Collingwood. He probably would have been sacked that night, but Schwab clearly needed to go first as he was largely the head cheese of the 'Reality Bus' era. Both him and Neeld going within 24 hours of that game would have thrown the joint into more chaos than it already was.

He only was retained until the game against Collingwood as it was the week before the bye, and the club was aiming to have him moved on when there would be less attention. There were several times we pooed the bed leading up to then which would have gotten any other coach be given his marching orders (losing to a team of Gold Coast kids by 10 goals, Freo by 90 points, Hawthorn by 90 points and with them barely getting out of 1st gear, Eagles by 90 and so on).

From the 'comfort', at last, of where we sit for the moment, I've braved a look back at 2013, Colin, and I agree. But the corpse (sorry, Mark) was prepared in round 1 then desecrated in round 3 and rounds 5 to 11. Excluding our GWS win in round 4 (involving our best-ever quarter of 12.2, which we needed! - I sat at that city end amongst the GWS supporter (sic) and strangely this quarter is what I remember clearest of the year...), our percentage was 42% and, worse, the opposition had had 363 scoring shots to our 167 - so it could have been worse! Every team, including GWS, kicked 100+. With '148' in round 2, Essendon got their biggest-ever win against us.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Demonland said:

We are not …

Since the formation of the AFL competition 31 coaches have been given their marching orders during the season.

From Useless AFL Stats

4B309984-17D9-4428-AA3F-24A895D4C8FE.jpeg

The context was that, most often, Geelong were the opposition for the game a coach was sacked, the average timing was round 11, and Collingwood play Geelong in Rnd 11

• Like 2
  • Shocked 2

16 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

I hate Mark Neeld, but he did two good things. He brought in Jason Taylor and made some moves to get Jesse Hogan

And, he was so bad, that he led to us landing Paul Roos, which is the most significant signature in this club’s history.

Everything we are now seeing flowed from that. Roos needs to be immortalised.

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Don’t forget Malcolm Blight

we have killed 3 St.Kilda Coaches!

I always thought we put him away as well, but just looked it up and he went on for five more weeks and won another game before leaving. 

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

And, he was so bad, that he led to us landing Paul Roos, which is the most significant signature in this club’s history.

On that logic (and I don’t disagree), it was Mark Neeld that is the root cause of our current high..!? ?

2 minutes ago, Supermercado said:

I always thought we put him away as well, but just looked it up and he went on for five more weeks and won another game before leaving. 

Really?

I thought he went a couple of days later

(after he had all the players training after the game!!)

15 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

From the 'comfort', at last, of where we sit for the moment, I've braved a look back at 2013, Colin, and I agree. But the corpse (sorry, Mark) was prepared in round 1 then desecrated in round 3 and rounds 5 to 11. Excluding our GWS win in round 4 (involving our best-ever quarter of 12.2, which we needed! - I sat at that city end amongst the GWS supporter (sic) and strangely this quarter is what I remember clearest of the year...), our percentage was 42% and, worse, the opposition had had 363 scoring shots to our 167 - so it could have been worse! Every team, including GWS, kicked 100+. With '148' in round 2, Essendon got their biggest-ever win against us.

148 was Essendon at their most juiced up.  Right off the back off their drug program, we literally played a team of drugged up cheats.....    after that game it looked like two clubs going opposite directions...  yeah it was, but they were the ones going to hell.

Also why hasn't 148 been scrubbed from the record books as they were all convicted drug cheats?

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 7:41 AM, Ron Burgundy said:

Right next to an even bigger statue of Peter Jackson