Jump to content

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview    

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview    

POSTGAME: Rd 03 vs GWS



Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Coaches votes:

image.png.42863c6f00995fdeabb989ff03c4c8c5.png

Split:

  • 5/5 Gawm
  • 4/4 Green
  • 3-0 or 3-0 or 2+1 Viney, Picket, Petracca
  • 2/0 Lever
  • 1/0 Langdon

Again first 2 unanimous.  The rest not so.  Of Viney, Pickett, Petracca, Lever and Langdon only one got votes from both coaches!

Bit surprised to see Lever amongst the votes as he had a few clangers and cost us goals.

Leader Board

Oliver and Gawn in the top 5.  Tex has flown past the rest

28 Taylor Walker ADEL
19 Dustin Martin RICH
16 Darcy Moore COLL
16 Clayton Oliver MELB
15 Max Gawn

MELB

Interesting to compare the coaches and DL votes. I reckon we expect a lot from Trac and he needs to do a great deal to get votes. Viney, Lever also also undervalued votes wise. Whereas guys like Hunt play a good game and we love him. Not judging, just observing. Hunt played well

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The standout highlight out of the round in my view was West Coast's first half against Port

They made Port look 2nd rate and their own skills on display were first rate ... they are going to be hard to beat

That's what we have to match & better

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, Macca said:

The standout highlight out of the round in my view was West Coast's first half against Port

They made Port look 2nd rate and their own skills on display were first rate ... they are going to be hard to beat

That's what we have to match & better

Yep WC are looking good for the minor premiership even at this stage.  They'll win 11 at home plus 4-5 away minimum.

The best fwd line. close to the best defence. When Yeo and Shuey are firing along side Kelly, Gaff, Nic Nat, etc they'll be tough to beat. To have Kennedy and Darling both fit and firing early is scary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Yep WC are looking good for the minor premiership even at this stage.  They'll win 11 at home plus 4-5 away minimum.

The best fwd line. close to the best defence. When Yeo and Shuey are firing along side Kelly, Gaff, Nic Nat, etc they'll be tough to beat. To have Kennedy and Darling both fit and firing early is scary

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if they win all 12 games they play at home

The shape of the new ground also sets them up beautifully to replicate their game style to the G too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Yep WC are looking good for the minor premiership even at this stage.  They'll win 11 at home plus 4-5 away minimum.

The best fwd line. close to the best defence. When Yeo and Shuey are firing along side Kelly, Gaff, Nic Nat, etc they'll be tough to beat. To have Kennedy and Darling both fit and firing early is scary

Agreed

I posted that on the wrong thread but I suppose it is worth noting here on this thread anyway!

Apart from us needing 14 wins as a minimum (so as to finish at least 5th or 6th) our team needs to be tested as early as possible. 

Geelong is a good start although they are missing a few valuable players. But Harmes,  Ben Brown & maybe Weideman are missing from our best line up

Melksham & Hibberd can't get a look in although I reckon 1 of them might get in this week (mystery injury or 2?)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pates said:

I gave him top votes this week, might’ve been a little rose coloured glasses as he’s always been a favourite of mine, but no doubt it was his best game since he burst onto the scene as a running half back. What I really liked was that the first half he got the ball and dashed away but stuffed the disposal, second half he lowered the eyes and started hitting targets. He probably wasn’t BOG, but if he can get confidence from that game and continue with it we’ve got a proper dashing HBF weapon. 

?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Macca said:

The standout highlight out of the round in my view was West Coast's first half against Port

They made Port look 2nd rate and their own skills on display were first rate ... they are going to be hard to beat

That's what we have to match & better

I think Port missed what Chris Scott called the 'paradigm shift'.  "I think if you miss the paradigm shift, you can be left behind very, very quickly... we have got to find a way through and when we find our way through this little patch at the moment we have got to find a way to be a whole lot better."

I believe he is referring to the impact of the new rules.  And it looks to me that last year's Prelim finalists (Port, Lions, Cats and Tigers) have missed that impact.  Perhaps believing their system/game plan was so good it didn't need much change.  They are now playing 'catch-up'.  Hardwick said something similar about needing to learn from their Sydney defeat and make changes to the way they go about it. 

It reminds me of us not adjusting to the impact of the 6-6-6 paradigm shift.  Fortunately, this time we did anticipate the rules impact and have adjusted and practiced our game plan. 

I think it will take those teams 3-6 weeks to adjust but even then they will be experimenting with what works.  Fortunately we play Cats and Tigers in the next few weeks so we may have a bit of an advantage which is why I believe we can be 6-0 or 5-1. 

By mid-year the best teams will have adjusted and the second half of the season will be more even.  And as you say we will need to be better to match Eagles and other teams when they catch up.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree Lucifee, however without Brown and Weid, the extents to which we’ve “caught up” has been muted. 
in addition to the rule changes we also seem primed to fully benefit from the return to the longer game length that suits our fitness and conditioning, the shorter format being a major headwind for us last year...

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Agree Lucifee, however without Brown and Weid, the extents to which we’ve “caught up” has been muted. 
in addition to the rule changes we also seem primed to fully benefit from the return to the longer game length that suits our fitness and conditioning, the shorter format being a major headwind for us last year...

Agreed, we won't truly know until they are back, especially Brown who runs in a straight line and leads to the ball.  So far the fast open play from the new rules have advantaged that type of fwd.  So ?.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Coaches votes:

image.png.42863c6f00995fdeabb989ff03c4c8c5.png

Split:

  • 5/5 Gawm
  • 4/4 Green
  • 3-0 or 3-0 or 2+1 Viney, Picket, Petracca
  • 2/0 Lever
  • 1/0 Langdon

Again first 2 unanimous.  The rest not so.  Of Viney, Pickett, Petracca, Lever and Langdon only one got votes from both coaches!

Bit surprised to see Lever amongst the votes as he had a few clangers and cost us goals.

Leader Board

Oliver and Gawn in the top 5.  Tex has flown past the rest

28 Taylor Walker ADEL
19 Dustin Martin RICH
16 Darcy Moore COLL
16 Clayton Oliver MELB
15 Max Gawn

MELB

We seem to have more players each week putting their hand up for votes.

Not a team looking for a knockout effort from a single player like toby.g. or dusty or ha ...danger.

Maybe this week it will be Jones and Jetta amongst the tally. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was great to win but this game really showed that our star players are flawed. We are really going nowhere as a side unless Oliver, Petracca and Gawn make significant improvement in terms of skill execution. All three have missed a number of very easy set shots this year. And Petracca needs to stop turning the ball over when he gets first hands on a clearance and hit targets by foot going inside 50. 22 clangers from 83 disposals for the year is a disgrace.

Unless these three players fix things, we won’t be able to become a top side.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, DubDee said:

Interesting to compare the coaches and DL votes. I reckon we expect a lot from Trac and he needs to do a great deal to get votes. Viney, Lever also also undervalued votes wise. Whereas guys like Hunt play a good game and we love him. Not judging, just observing. Hunt played well

I was surprised that Trac had so many possessions when I reveiwed the stats. On first viewing I thought he had an average game (for him). Perhaps because his disposals weren't as damaging.

I hope he doesn't go possession chasing from here on and instead goes for maximum team impact.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

It reminds me of us not adjusting to the impact of the 6-6-6 paradigm shift.  Fortunately, this time we did anticipate the rules impact and have adjusted and practiced our game plan. 

 

The ol 6 6 6 chestnut....

 

 

Edited by jnrmac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if there was any collusion between Sportsbet and the Giants... Last week Sportsbet went big on Clayton Oliver getting more than 30 touches in a multi with another leg. Did they have the inside word on the hard tag or do they just have smart people who know what coaches are going to do?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2021 at 8:01 AM, leave it to deever said:

Last 2 years have highlighted our dysfunctional forward line especially our lack of crumbers.

Aside from the love for Kozzie, Anb and Spargo are starting to make a significant contribution  especially their tackling.

Anbs first goal was a ripper. Spargo works very hard.

ANB has really improved; he has generally been useful and capable of the snap goals but now he has diversified his game and appears to be a freer player, still with that excellent aerobic capacity. He has a great sense of roving the pack and moving through so the Cats will be stretched to contain him with similar smalls. Attrition amongst the Cats is encouraging for our game and its outcome. Our smalls, in general, will have a field day I suspect and if the talls move to space, they will as well. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

We are really going nowhere as a side unless Oliver, Petracca and Gawn make significant improvement in terms of skill execution

Yep Oliver was well tagged and at times missed targets. Especially easy shots at goal. 

However  ..Gawn was supreme. Took nine marks, dominated the ruck and gathered 21 possies.

Sure he missed an easy said shot but made up with 2 other goals...one a great snap from almost 45m. His skills helped other score involvements.

His defensive efforts were stong.

Could not have played better FT.

Trac was brilliant against the saints and as for execution of skills could not have done better.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2021 at 11:23 AM, pinkshark said:

My 11 year old threw his hands in the air at another point and shouted "Dermot Brereton would you just shut the hell up.  You're talking absolute rubbish mate."

and then the whole supermarket turned around and applauded... DHOTYA

1 hour ago, low flying Robbo said:

I wonder if there was any collusion between Sportsbet and the Giants... Last week Sportsbet went big on Clayton Oliver getting more than 30 touches in a multi with another leg. Did they have the inside word on the hard tag or do they just have smart people who know what coaches are going to do?

don't need to be a smart person to know matt de boer is in the side to tag the oppos premier onballer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Yep Oliver was well tagged and at times missed targets. Especially easy shots at goal. 

However  ..Gawn was supreme. Took nine marks, dominated the ruck and gathered 21 possies.

Sure he missed an easy said shot but made up with 2 other goals...one a great snap from almost 45m. His skills helped other score involvements.

His defensive efforts were stong.

Could not have played better FT.

Trac was brilliant against the saints and as for execution of skills could not have done better.

Against the Saints Petracca had the most Clangers (9) and equal lowest Disposal Efficiency (50%). We won’t beat the best sides if we turn the ball over like that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Against the Saints Petracca had the most Clangers (9) and equal lowest Disposal Efficiency (50%). We won’t beat the best sides if we turn the ball over like that. 

Oh stats. Could he have been sharper?

No doubt about it.

Was he one of our best.

No doubt about it.

Games and players are different each week.

It depends on how much pressure is exerted... If hes being targeted....how much running hes done.....if its early in the season...what his teamates are doing..

Besides you can only have 9 clangers if you get 30 touches?

As for Gawn...BOG last week.

 

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

It was great to win but this game really showed that our star players are flawed. We are really going nowhere as a side unless Oliver, Petracca and Gawn make significant improvement in terms of skill execution. All three have missed a number of very easy set shots this year. And Petracca needs to stop turning the ball over when he gets first hands on a clearance and hit targets by foot going inside 50. 22 clangers from 83 disposals for the year is a disgrace.

Unless these three players fix things, we won’t be able to become a top side.

Damn straight.

 

Open your eyes kids. We are not a top 4 side by a long shot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

It was great to win but this game really showed that our star players are flawed. We are really going nowhere as a side unless Oliver, Petracca and Gawn make significant improvement in terms of skill execution. All three have missed a number of very easy set shots this year. And Petracca needs to stop turning the ball over when he gets first hands on a clearance and hit targets by foot going inside 50. 22 clangers from 83 disposals for the year is a disgrace.

Unless these three players fix things, we won’t be able to become a top side.

To be fair even the best players in the comp are flawed. If you look at last year's Brownlow Medal the top handful (Neale, Boak, Petracca and Dangerfield) are as likely to kick a point as a goal. StKilda's Steele and Dusty are the exceptions. Good players have more clangers because they have the confidence to try more.

With that said, I wouldn't mind Gawn kicking goals from 20 metres out and Oliver kicking a goal! The set shots against the GWS were deflating and could be costly.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, faultydet said:

Damn straight.

 

Open your eyes kids. WE ARE NOT A TOP 4 SIDE by a long shot.

Maybe you should check the ladder and your own eyes faulty.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ManDee said:

Maybe you should check the ladder and your own eyes faulty.

Did I miss something? Are the finals this week?

 

3 weeks in, and we have beaten 3 of the bottom 4. Lets see how we fair against the current top 6 before we start with the bragging hey?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, faultydet said:

Did I miss something? Are the finals this week?

 

3 weeks in, and we have beaten 3 of the bottom 4. Lets see how we fair against the current top 6 before we start with the bragging hey?

Who's bragging? Look at the ladder, are we in the top 4? You made the statement. You didn't say a final 4 side, but there is no disputing we are currently top 4

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...