AFLW: Rd 07 vs Adelaide

Demonland

I agree with accolades about our better known players last night and I loved seeing some of the lesser known team members show what they are capable of: Heath, Sherriff, Lampard, Tarrant, Colvin and Magee. And it’s great to see Goldrick’s attack on the ball, and courage - reminds me of Matty Whelan’s approach. Another beauty is McNamara - very skilled and courageous too. Was absolutely stoked in last night’s effort by the women. Hope some of it rubs off on the men!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Magnificent performance. Out fought a seasoned crows outfit. After the insipid performances against the doggies and the pies we’ve responded very well. Hats off to the players and the coaching staff. I’ve been critical of Stinear but he threw the pieces around and has come up with a winning formula.

And as a bonus we got a percentage nudge as well. We have 35% over the bulldogs which will be difficult for them to make up. They are not a high scoring team and an improving Richmond will be no push over for them in the last round.

The difference between our best and worst is a chasm and not sure how we’re going to go without a tall option in the forward line. But our confidence is up and we should fear no one from here.

Go Dees

6 hours ago, Win4theAges said:

That Zanker's a superstar, not a bad sort too. How bout we put them in for R1.

Spirit, Desire and determination in abundance tonight, super performance.

I'd sure contemplate Hanks in the midfield.
Ball magnet with great disposal.
Ripped off with that goal.

Edited by Fork 'em

8 hours ago, Win4theAges said:

That Zanker's a superstar, not a bad sort too. How bout we put them in for R1.

Spirit, Desire and determination in abundance tonight, super performance.

1 hour ago, Fork 'em said:

I'd sure contemplate Hanks in the midfield.
Ball magnet with great disposal.
Ripped off with that goal.

We could if we were playing under grade level sides.

8 minutes ago, P-man said:

That has to be the base level for the rest of the season. The pies made us look second rate and will do again if we drop anywhere below that level. But smashing a top 4 side is promising signs.

For me the win last night was as impressive as the Nth Melbourne game. A true 4 quarter effort. Bring that intensity and we will be difficult to beat. At least they know they can match it with the best sides. Should give them confidence 

Edit. So I agree with everything you said P-man!

Edited by FarNorthernD
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, FarNorthernD said:

For me the win last night was as impressive as the Nth Melbourne game. A true 4 quarter effort. Bring that intensity and we will be difficult to beat. At least they know they can match it with the best sides. Should give them confidence 

I haven’t seen every game but the North game was the slickest performance I’ve seen this year. I said in that game day thread that we would be giving the flag a real crack. Yesterday was more of a contested game where we pummeled the opposition into submission

If we bring yesterday’s effort and the skill execution that we showed against North, we can and will beat anyone.

• Like 3

Does anyone else get the impression that Mithen is targeted by other clubs because of her size?

She has been really hard hit these last few weeks.  To her great credit she bounces back each time but she must be getting battle weary.

We need to give her a bit more protection.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Does anyone else get the impression that Mithen is targeted by other clubs because of her size?

She has been really hard hit these last few weeks.  To her great credit she bounces back each time but she must be getting battle weary.

I think Mithen perhaps successfully plays for frees making tackles look worse than they are.
if you were going to target any player it would be Hanks. Stop her and you’d go a long way to beating Melbourne 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarNorthernD said:

I think Mithen perhaps successfully plays for frees making tackles look worse than they are.
if you were going to target any player it would be Hanks. Stop her and you’d go a long way to beating Melbourne 

Hmm, we usually don't get much from the umps.

It looks to me that Mithen gets crunched into the ground, sat on and roughed up quite, a lot in part because of her stature.  And it often goes unnoticed by umps and teammates.

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

It looks to me that Mithen gets crunched into the ground, sat on and roughed up quite, a lot in part because of her stature.  And it often goes unnoticed by umps and teammates.

I agree with you about Mithen. She gets pummeled from head to toe. She goes in really hard for the ball and because she is fairly light the opposition will hit her harder. And they do. And credit where it is due she never shirks going for the hard ball. Does she need protection ? Yes. Especially in a final.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

You could be right Lucifer but her career frees for V against would indicate that she has been pummelled from day one

B9184225-ECA9-4F52-A80E-DCD048050460.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Agree, Mithen gets 'rag dolled' a lot, and this season they seem (unnecessarily) go that extra bit to make it hurt (including sling tackles).  To her great credit, she brushes herself off, and gets on with the job.  Easy to see that she loves the jumper!

• Like 4

She has no evasion skills or side-step, isn't speedy nor has she quick hands. when she gets the ball she is invariably tackled. She has the heart of a lion and is a tackling machine so i don't want to be too critical but over the past couple of games in particular my recollections of Lily are seeing her getting tackled. Pretty much every time. Very few clean disposals come to mind. If she figures out how to manoeuvre in traffic she'd be some player.

• Like 1

Question, have we travelled interstate for any of our games? I can't recall so if we haven't then for give the next question. 

So collingwood are sitting pretty on top and do not have to travel anywhere. I know they had to go to brisabne today but because of this covid case Brisbane had to come here. So why don't collingwood have to travel anywhere to player adelaide, west coast or freo? 

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

Question, have we travelled interstate for any of our games? I can't recall so if we haven't then for give the next question. 

So collingwood are sitting pretty on top and do not have to travel anywhere. I know they had to go to brisabne today but because of this covid case Brisbane had to come here. So why don't collingwood have to travel anywhere to player adelaide, west coast or freo? 

We played Gold Coast at Carrara in Round 1 and while it was an easy win in the end, it qualifies as travelling (only game I attended so far). Next week, we’re drawn to play the Dockers in Fremantle.

3 hours ago, Deeoldfart said:

Agree, Mithen gets 'rag dolled' a lot, and this season they seem (unnecessarily) go that extra bit to make it hurt (including sling tackles).  To her great credit, she brushes herself off, and gets on with the job.  Easy to see that she loves the jumper!

Mithen gets smashed because she goes in hard and the oppostion knows she's dangerous around the goals.
Hanks wll also find herself under more pressure soon as well.
Also small but provides so much drive from the middle.

They're gonna have their hands full with Zanker though.
Big strong girl with clean hands in the middle who can run all day.
Very tough to match up on.

• Like 3