CHANGES: Rd 07 vs Hawthorn

Nasher

12 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

If Goodloss has his way, Harley misses. 

harley needs game time u cant drop him goodloss

12 minutes ago, Anti-Saint said:

harley needs game time u cant drop him goodloss

Absolutely. His composure and ability to ‘make time’ is a weapon. Yeah he didn’t have many touches, but when he did, they were mostly creative. Lockhart has played 3 games and barely touched the ball. If Goodwin drops him, the knives should be pointed back in his direction.

The fact we had no changes for Richmond speaks for the fact Goodwin is trying to settle the list and I expect that's what he will do this week after a solid win which showed some improvement in decision making.

TMac is the only likely out with Brown coming in. To say there's something wrong with him because he was delisted at Essendon ignores the fact that he is a fit on our list. We saw little of the two tall forwards this week. I'd like to see Brown take some of the heat off Weideman who was actually better than some credit him. He was out bustled a few times but he also created contests and brought the ball to ground against up to three opponents.

I'd also expect Nev to improve and adapt to the pace of the game with more time out there.

Lockhart did not win a lot of it but he is part of the future. Expect to see him stay.

Aside from Brown for Tmac if he needs a rest I don't see much need for change.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Yep - either

Brown will not win you games of footy

Don't think he will loose you games while learning the ropes, think we need to be picking players on form and ready now rather than hoping they develop in  season we recruited Brown for forward depth now play him

10 minutes ago, Rednblueriseing said:

Don't think he will loose you games while learning the ropes, think we need to be picking players on form and ready now rather than hoping they develop in  season we recruited Brown for forward depth now play him

But, he has no form and he's not up to AFL standard

Smith has an upside

Melksham is a shadow of his former self at the moment, but I think he is too good a player to drop right at the moment as well.

a) despite not racking up huge numbers, he still did a few handy things

b) my observation was that he was being manned by Jarrod Harbrow last night, who I rate as one of Gold Coasts best defender's and Harbrow had little influence on the game.  Also think it shows the respect that the opposition show him and if Harbrow doesn't take Melksham, he's taking one of our other forwards and making life harder for them.

I'm actually wondering if we should throw Melksham onto the ball for periods as he has shown the ability to be quite effective there at times as a tagger and could help bring him into the game more.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

If Tmac is out consider Tomlinson as a mobile CHF, liked the look of Tmac moving high up the ground using his engine 

I actually thought Tomlinson was s bit stiff to be dropped.  He's been one of our better players most of the season and think he would respond pretty well if given another oppertunity.  His tank would test quite a lot of key backs who would match his height.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Elegt said:

Zero defensive running. No urgency. One of our biggest problems this year is lack of fwd pressure and he is not helping with this

It's not possible to judge defensive running watching on TV.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

But, he has no form and he's not up to AFL standard

Smith has an upside

Not AFL level? Played 16 games for 21 goals last year, perfect back up while we have injuries. I like Smith but he's had his chances just think the Hawks will smash as if we have to many passengers ( SMITH, Lockhart, Kossi,)

12 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Melksham is a shadow of his former self at the moment, but I think he is too good a player to drop right at the moment as well.

b) my observation was that he was being manned by Jarrod Harbrow last night, who I rate as one of Gold Coasts best defender's and Harbrow had little influence on the game.  Also think it shows the respect that the opposition show him and if Harbrow doesn't take Melksham, he's taking one of our other forwards and making life harder for them.

I'm actually wondering if we should throw Melksham onto the ball for periods as he has shown the ability to be quite effective there at times as a tagger and could help bring him into the game more.

Agree Balls. Melk often takes the oppos backline playmaker and minimises their influence on games. 

Yes he's down on form a little but too many people just look at stats to rate a player's performance.

No change for me unless injuries involved (TMac) or we need to manage players pending the fixture release.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I think some people see the silly 50s he gives away, or the times he gets caught in two minds, and reach for the eject button.

But you’re right. His influence at the moment is still in the positive. In our top 5 players yesterday for tackles, clearances, and 11 of his 14 possessions were contested. Also in the top 5.

He’s not at his best but he stays in for mine.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Rednblueriseing said:

Not AFL level? Played 16 games for 21 goals last year, perfect back up while we have injuries. I like Smith but he's had his chances just think the Hawks will smash as if we have to many passengers ( SMITH, Lockhart, Kossi,)

Smith has played a dozen games and has an upside

Brown is not the way forward 

Really hoping to see a post on the MFC website today that shows a wide eyed T Mac declaring that he will be fine to play next week against the Dorks.

I think T Mac's form has been getting better and would really love to see him working in tandem with the Weid again.

With the rest of the forward line starting to function around him, I think T Mac could make an impact.

Surely we've had enough [censored] luck and are due a turn in fortune.

• Like 8

Without knowing what role the coach has assigned a player ie Melksham defending the run of Harbrow who I hardly noticed, I would keep the changes to a minimum. I hope TMac comes up as we have an 8 day break.

I fear for New though, and he was moved of Rankine. Would we consider Jones for a back pocket role? I would as many mids and rovers who lose a bit go down back.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Smith has played a dozen games and has an upside

Brown is not the way forward 

We're in win mode, not development mode yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Swimming Dee said:

Most of the time he looks like he is just going through the motions...he is such a confusing player to me now. I think a Jordon or Sparrow would offer a lot more than him at the moment. Angus has had no real impact in any of our games this year.

I missed the golf swing but that is a bad look imo

Yes confusing. I may be wrong but it looks like he is just content to be in a little bubble with his mates earning an AFL income. The golf swing was either a little bit of  posing, lack of focus or just stupid. I wonder what Joel Selwood would have said to a teamate who did that.

• Like 2

Ins this week should be all about curbing INTERCEPT MARKS. I believe Joel 'SOS' Smith has the leap and x-factor to impact deep contests and create a little havoc for our smaller forwards to feast on. He will also probably mark a few and kick a couple.

In: Smith

Out: Tmac (eyeball)

1 hour ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Absolutely. His composure and ability to ‘make time’ is a weapon. Yeah he didn’t have many touches, but when he did, they were mostly creative. Lockhart has played 3 games and barely touched the ball. If Goodwin drops him, the knives should be pointed back in his direction.

The only reason he would be dropped would be from the data around the need to manage him.

There are some seriously ridiculous comments about decisions that are made on players, this would be up there.