CHANGES: Rd 03 vs Essendon

WERRIDEE

39 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

I remember T Mac hobbling on one leg that night Sku and spending some time on the wing early then a significant amount of time on the pine during that blitz. There was a lot of talk post match about us playing our best footy that night while T Mac was out of the forward line. 

10 minutes ago, old dee said:

My memory is Tmac play the first three quarters on the forward and kicked 6/7. He got injured just before 3/4 time and did not come back in the last quarter. It was the last quarter when the blues played all over us and we fell in when Harmes kicked our only last quarter goal late in the quarter.

Sorry OD. Was talking about the upcoming corresponding match vs. the Bombers. 

I recall some time last year TMac going back and me being as frustrated as ever. But can't place the match. 

12 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

That is correct od but I thought Skuit was talking about our match against Ess last season. 

Probably my error DZ

16 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Sorry OD. Was talking about the upcoming corresponding match vs. the Bombers. 

I recall some time last year TMac going back and me being as frustrated as ever. But can't place the match. 

Ah, Anzac Eve maybe. He did a good job on T Lynch from memory.

If Tom puts in another woeful performance he can’t escape the chop or at the very least a positional change. I’d like to see him play much more mobile this week, do the classic of “getting him into the game” by getting higher up the park. The problem with that is that it leaves us short which is why I think Weids needs to come in a play as a natural forward, very minimal if any ruck time. 

If Tom is putting in a stinker, I’d really like Goodwin to swing a change with Smith going forward and Tom into defence. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Pates said:

If Tom puts in another woeful performance he can’t escape the chop or at the very least a positional change. I’d like to see him play much more mobile this week, do the classic of “getting him into the game” by getting higher up the park. The problem with that is that it leaves us short which is why I think Weids needs to come in a play as a natural forward, very minimal if any ruck time. 

If Tom is putting in a stinker, I’d really like Goodwin to swing a change with Smith going forward and Tom into defence. 

Since Hogan and Watts left we have missed that truly versatile centre half forward, working up and back all day and providing a much needed link up option. With his tank, perhaps Tom could fill it while Weid plays deep with Fritsch, Hunt and Kozzie rotating through... not sure Tom's decision making or foot skills will hold up in this situation though.

Whatever it is, something clearly needs to change.

5 minutes ago, Luther said:

Since Hogan and Watts left we have missed that truly versatile centre half forward, working up and back all day and providing a much needed link up option. With his tank, perhaps Tom could fill it while Weid plays deep with Fritsch, Hunt and Kozzie rotating through... not sure Tom's decision making or foot skills will hold up in this situation though.

Whatever it is, something clearly needs to change.

Would you class Watts as a CHF? I always thought he was nothing more than a tall flanker. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Would you class Watts as a CHF? I always thought he was nothing more than a tall flanker. 

No one has look like replacing Hogan's goals. Without him we look ordinary in the forward line. Watts was a very good luck we miss that too.

Edited by old dee

1 hour ago, Pates said:

I'm the opposite, I would play him deep forward - out of the goal square leading up to his teammates in a classic spearhead role. I think he gets lost around half forward playing too high up and we invariably kick it on top of his head making it easy for his opponent to spoil/work him under the footy due to his lack of footy IQ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pates said:

I think we could help him at selection by playing another true KPF. Against Carlton he had to do all the heavy lifting in that regard. Against Hooker and Hurley, it becomes even more important that he's given more support. (Unless it rains a lot...which is forecast.)  On that basis, I think Weideman or Brown (preferably the former) comes in at the expense of (maybe) Jackson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Fair point, he probably didn't play big enough to be classed as a CHF. But we certainly miss that link up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Luther said:

Fair point, he probably didn't play big enough to be classed as a CHF. But we certainly miss that link up.

And his good kicking.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Grr-owl said:

I'm with you. TMac has a huge tank that should be exploited as long as he's playing as a forward. Jackson or Weid have to make the FF possie their own. In fact, long term, why not Egg and Weid forward, and TMac, Lever and May as the talls in the backline?

Its too late now;  for this season...  as he's already stacked on masses of upper body weight, to play deep power forward.  He won't IMO,  have the endurance with the weight on to do that role of  2017/18.

I believe we recruited Brown,  to cover TMc's old role.   Brown has very good running endurance,  and can take marks, so can play TMc's old forward role.   But I don't believe we can play Brown, and Jackson in the same side,  with Gawn.

And Brown and Jackson, together with Gawn,  would make us to friendly.

We need more mongrel, more aggression,  within the side.  Not necessarily midfielders.  

VandenBerg would be one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Interesting listening to May’s presser after training today.

He said the Carlton game was reviewed in the rooms after the match so it’s fresh in their minds and they can start focusing on the Bombers instantly. Don’t mind that. May also touches on Harmes still getting familiar with that half back role. Doesn’t sound like Harmes will be moved out anytime soon.

DB’s injury report has no new casualties, no idea how they will go this week with changes. If Weid is included I’d love just to sit him at FF. 

Harmes led our intercepts with 8. Needs to clean up his disposal but doubt he’ll be moving out of the defence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm the opposite, I would play him deep forward - out of the goal square leading up to his teammates in a classic spearhead role. I think he gets lost around half forward playing too high up and we invariably kick it on top of his head making it easy for his opponent to spoil/work him under the footy due to his lack of footy IQ.

I think this is the role they have  "built him"  for. But with Kosy out,  who knows,  they may have tweaked the forward setup late in the week, choosing to play Fritta one out, deep.?

4 hours ago, Damo said:

I can see kozzie coming in and some change in positional movements to suit Bombers. But the strategy seems to be to let these 22 gel to be our best team available.  So the tactic of changing unless critically needed would go against the overall plan. I think Jonesy and Jacko and Smith will have 2 or 3 weeks more. Id hope so or Goody will have been pressured out of his original overall plan.

I tend to agree that Goody seems to have a preferred 22 and he will do his best to get them in and settle the side. I feel that LJ/Weid is not set (has been mentioned that it was line ball decision) and that Lockhart, AVB and Kozzie are in his preferred but missed due to not ready or allowed. I think we may see more changes this week and then it well settled unless things go awry. 

• Like 1

TMac can no longer claim to be  our main forward. He can no longer claim past performances gives him the edge

We have four in the starters blocks. TMac, Weid, Brown, Jackson. 

Select any two without fear or favour. 

Jackson is going to be a star if developed properly. Let him build his body and knowlege for a time. 

I am leaning toward Brown and Weid for this week. 

4 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

TMac can no longer claim to be  our main forward. He can no longer claim past performances gives him the edge

We have four in the starters blocks. TMac, Weid, Brown, Jackson. 

Select any two without fear or favour. 

Jackson is going to be a star if developed properly. Let him build his body and knowlege for a time. 

I am leaning toward Brown and Weid for this week. 

Absolutely this. I'm surprised there hasn't been more hype over his performance... I thought his presenting and positioning for an 18 year old key forward was outstanding. Even though he wasn't taking the marks, there is so much to like.

I wouldn't drop him this week though, maybe give him another couple. Dropping him after the one game could be counter productive, especially considering the quality of the scratch matches at present.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Harmes led our intercepts with 8. Needs to clean up his disposal but doubt he’ll be moving out of the defence.

Happy with Harmes starting down back, but wish they'd use him in bursts on the middlemen things aren't going well. Not only can he take care of a player but wins his own ball too. Maybe as soon as the opposition gets a run on, then throw him in for 5 minutes then send him back

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luther said:

Absolutely this. I'm surprised there hasn't been more hype over his performance... I thought his presenting and positioning for an 18 year old key forward was outstanding. Even though he wasn't taking the marks, there is so much to like.

I wouldn't drop him this week though, maybe give him another couple. Dropping him after the one game could be counter productive, especially considering the quality of the scratch matches at present.

I thought he should have been given a block of games when selected but seeing his body shape now er on the side of caution. That said I would have sat him down, not worried too much about a huge review. Ask him how he enjoyed it and how he thought he went. Pat him on the back and let him know he can mix it at this level. Certainly not talking about dropping him and telling him he did not perform.  That said I will be happy for him if selected again. But not as a ruckman.  Maybe a wing?? get to the open spaces.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Ah, Anzac Eve maybe. He did a good job on T Lynch from memory.

Was probably his best game for the year except for the Carlton game.

• Like 1

I believe that we needs to get rid of Smith from the back 6 and replace him with OMac. I just see more structure and confidence when he is there. Reads the play well, positions himself well and has good disposal. People that are not sold on him will always find and highlight the mistakes but all players make mistakes. May, Lever and OMac are three critical elements of our back six.

Up forward I would bring Pickett into the team in place of ANB and I would also look to get Wiedeman in. Weideman, TMac and Jackson rotating through the forward line with Hunt, Kossie, Petracca, Melksham and Fritsch rotating there as well and I think we have the makings of a good structure.

My Team:

B: Jetta, May, Lever

HB: Salem, OMac, Rivers

Center: Langdon, Viney, Tomlinson

HF: Melksham, Weideman, Fritsch

F: Pickett, TMac, Hunt

FOL: Gawn, Petracca, Oliver

IC: Harmes, Jackson, Brayshaw, Bennell

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

I think this is the role they have  "built him"  for. But with Kosy out,  who knows,  they may have tweaked the forward setup late in the week, choosing to play Fritta one out, deep.?

You've made this point a number of times ie the club has got Tmac to bulk up so he can play as deep forward.

Which if true would be bizarre given the game has well and truly moved passed big gorillas playing out of the square. Such players are a liability as their defender just run off them leaving the team one down.

Look at Hawkins - he was told (and has) to lose considerable weight so he could be more mobile and less one dimensional. The only such player i can think of in the game is Patton. And his lack of mobility is a problem for the hawks.

I'm curious, how have you arrived at the conclusion the club asked TMac to bulk up to play as deep forward?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHF said:

I believe that we needs to get rid of Smith from the back 6 and replace him with OMac. I just see more structure and confidence when he is there. Reads the play well, positions himself well and has good disposal. People that are not sold on him will always find and highlight the mistakes but all players make mistakes. May, Lever and OMac are three critical elements of our back six.

Up forward I would bring Pickett into the team in place of ANB and I would also look to get Wiedeman in. Weideman, TMac and Jackson rotating through the forward line with Hunt, Kossie, Petracca, Melksham and Fritsch rotating there as well and I think we have the makings of a good structure.

My Team:

B: Jetta, May, Lever

HB: Salem, OMac, Rivers

Center: Langdon, Viney, Tomlinson

HF: Melksham, Weideman, Fritsch

F: Pickett, TMac, Hunt

FOL: Gawn, Petracca, Oliver

IC: Harmes, Jackson, Brayshaw, Bennell

OMac goalkeeper
May CHB is better as he provides drive and aggression 

Just not sure we need 3 talls for Essendon but agree that OMac inspires confidence and structure.

Smithy brings X factor chaos and dome indecision at this stage of his career.

Really he hasn't  even been in the backline at Casey much to hone  his craft and confidence. TBH I estimate that he has been injured more than any total no of games He has played in either AFL and VFL.

So he is a risk and possibly one we don't have to take at this stage.

The downside is any player not in the AFL is left to take their chances with maybe lack of match fitness and bring included in the training group.

I would much rather have Lockhart as our no 6 or 7 defender unless we need Smithy's height and agility due to injury or unavailability.

There is no room for Lockhart we already have 7 backs. Salem ended his chances. Vanders must come in we need his hardness. Kossie should come in but I wouldn't be too bothered if he was out for another week. Jones is finished anyone who doesn't think it has rocks in their head. 

MELBOURNE 

B: JETTA, T.MCDONALD, SMITH

HB: SALEM, MAY, RIVERS

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, TOMLINSON

HF: PICKETT, JACKSON, VANDENBERG

F: MELKSHAM, WEIDEMAN, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: HARMES, BRAYSHAW, HUNT, BENNELL

ESSENDON

B: FRANCIS, HOOKER, RIDLEY

HB: REDMAN, HURLEY, SAAD

C : ZAHARAKIS, MCGRATH, MERRETT

HF: SMITH, STRINGER, TOWNSEND

F: MCDONALD- TIPUNGWUTI, MCKERNAN, FANTASIA

FOLL: BELLCHAMBERS, HEPPELL, SHIEL

IC: SNELLING, PARISH, LANGFORD, CUTLER

I'd drop Lever there is no role for him. Gawn plays that role better than him anyway.

Jetta and Smith on the speedsters. May on Stringer and T.McDonald on McKernan.