2008 Redrafted

Demonland

20/20 Hindsight?

ORIGINAL 2008 AFL DRAFT

1.Jack Watts (has played 174 games across two clubs)

2.Nic Naitanui (has played 167 games for West Coast)

3.Stephen Hill (has played 206 games for Fremantle)

4.Hamish Hartlett (has played 164 games for Port Adelaide)

5.Michael Hurley (has played 179 games for Essendon)

6.Chris Yarran (played 119 games for Carlton)

7.Daniel Rich (has played 207 games for Brisbane)

8.Ty Vickery (played 125 games across two clubs)

9.Jack Ziebell (has played 210 games for North Melbourne)

10.Phil Davis (has played 166 games across two clubs)

THE 2008 AFL RE-DRAFT 

1. STEELE SIDEBOTTOM (WAS Pick No.11 for Collingwood)

There’s been no greater underage performance than Steele Sidebottom’s 10-goal haul in the 2008 TAC Cup Grand Final. It certainly helped the mid-forward push his case to be selected inside the first round by the Magpies. For so many years, Sidebottom has been a crucial member of the Collingwood side where he has played 235 games. He was part of the club’s premiership winning team in 2010, going onto win back-to-back best and fairests in 2017 and 2018. Remarkably, Sidebottom has only made the All-Australian side once, averaging 29.4 disposals in 2018, the same year he finished runner-up in the Brownlow Medal.

2. DAN HANNEBERY (WAS Pick No.30 for Sydney)

While injuries have cruelled the latter stages of Hannebery’s career, it was a defining period between 2011 and 2016 where the midfielder made his stamp on the competition. The big-bodied onballer bashed his way around the centre of the ground, making three All-Australian teams in the process. He was part of the club’s 2012 premiership win, having earlier won the Rising Star Award in 2010. At the conclusion of 2018, Hannebery was traded from the Swans to the Saints, with a number of niggles keeping the 29-year-old to just six games with his new club.

3. RORY SLOANE (WAS Pick No.44 for Adelaide)

The Crows have certainly got plenty of service out of the classy midfielder, with Sloane playing his 200th game in Round 1 of the 2020 season. Sloane’s presence in the middle of the ground is clear, averaging over 5.5 tackles per game across the season from 2015-2020. Sloane made the All-Australian side in 2016, averaging 25.2 disposals during the year. In 2019, Sloane was appointed co-captain of the club, before taking over full-time this year.

4. NIC NAITANUI (WAS Pick No.2 for West Coast)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, with Melbourne overlooking the athletic tall for Jack Watts with the No.1 pick back in 2008. Naitanui is one of the best rucks in the game and might’ve been at the very top of the list if not for injuries in recent years. A ruptured ACL kept Naitanui out of the club’s 2018 Grand Final victory, which came after he had missed the entire 2017 season. The previous two seasons to that, Naitanui made his mark on the competition as one of the best rucks. The Fijian was named in the 2012 All-Australian side.

5. LUKE BREUST (WAS Pick No.47 in the rookie draft for Hawthorn)

A steal from the rookie draft, Breust has become one of the great success stories out of New South Wales. The three-time premiership player was a crucial figure in the Hawthorn team during their golden era, with the forward hardly missing in front of goal. At his peak in 2014, he had a streak of 29 goals without a behind, indicating just how vital he was for the club. He booted over 50 goals in 2014, 2015 and 2018, with the latter being his latest All-Australian recognition. In his 208-game stint at the Hawks, Breust has booted 395 goals.

6. LUKE SHUEY (WAS Pick No.18 for West Coast)

Shuey has made his mark as one of the toughest midfielders in the west, with the onballer playing 201 games for the Eagles since being drafted in 2008. A number of injuries kept the big-bodied Shuey sidelined during the early stages of his career, with the Eagle finishing runner-up in the Rising Star award in 2011. He was part of the club’s 2018 premiership, dominating on Grand Final day, collecting 34 disposals. He was the easy choice as the Norm Smith Medallist, with West Coast making Shuey the clubs captain for 2020. 

7. PHIL DAVIS (WAS Pick No.10 for Adelaide)

Davis has made his mark as one of the most reliable defenders across the entire AFL competition. In 2011, the back become the first player to announce he would move to Greater Western Sydney. As a leader of the club, Davis has led from the front with a number of exceptional performances blanketing the best forwards across the competition. Over the last four years, Davis has hardly missed a game, but a calf injury nearly kept him out of the 2019 Grand Final.

8. MICHAEL HURLEY (WAS Pick No.5 for Essendon)

Hurley has become one of the most crucial players in the Essendon side, with the tall playing 179 games for the club. Originally it was his ability up forward which caught the eye, but the 193cm Bomber has made the key defensive post his own over the last five years. Hurley was part of the 34 Essendon players suspended for the 2016 season, but he bounced back to be part of the All-Australian side in 2017. 

9. MICHAEL WALTERS (WAS Pick No.53 for Fremantle)

It has been only in recent years when Walters has really taken the competition by storm, improving his running ability and pushing up into the midfield. The Dockers have certainly got a steal from the Pick 53, with Walters winning the leading goalkicker award on five occasions. It was 2019 when Walters starred, winning All-Australian honours averaging 21.8 disposals. 

10. DAYNE BEAMS (WAS Pick No.29 for Collingwood)

Beams had immediate success at the Magpies, playing a part in the club’s 2010 premiership. It was 2012 when he had a breakout season, averaging over 30 disposals per match, winning the Collingwood best and fairest, as well as making the All-Australian side. However, a few years later he was traded to Brisbane in order to be closer with his ill father. It resulted in Beams winning the Lions’ best and fairest in 2015, with the midfielder captaining the club in 2017 and 2018. He has since return to Collingwood, but played just nine games last year with Beams focusing largely on his mental health and wellbeing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Jackson 6 said:

Hannebery at 2? Breust ahead of Shuey? Walters ahead of Beames? 

I’m already looking forward to the 2008-redraft redraft in 12 years’ time.

Agree. 

We have to look back and agree Watts was our number 1 choice. He had a good career. Not great but good. There’s been plenty of other low draft picks that failed completely.  

I’d be more concerned why we selected Blease and Strauss.  Should have picked Shuey and Sloane. Two standout mids at the time.  Shuey to West Coast was ridiculous.  Sloane to the Crows was a shocker. He missed him 3 times. He’d told him and his parents we would draft him only to pass him. We picked Blease, Strauss and Bennell ahead of Sloane.  He’s never forgotten it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not only did Barry Prendergast lie to Sloane and his folks, and overlooked him twice, he chose Sam Blease. This particular act of choosing a flakey winger instead of the Captain Rory Sloane of Eastern Ranges 2008 is unforgotten. Sloane never rated Blease at all. Wants to be a one club player but has close family ties in Melbourne.

Meh, 12 years ago.

It is funny though that we've spent the better part of a decade hearing that we shpuld have taken NicNat at number one and he's now rated at 4.  Journos can't even get the draft right with hindsight.

1 hour ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Meh, 12 years ago.

It is funny though that we've spent the better part of a decade hearing that we shpuld have taken NicNat at number one and he's now rated at 4.  Journos can't even get the draft right with hindsight.

i wouldn't even have nic nat at 4 personally

in fact, of the ten listed at the top of the thread, he'd probably be 10th for me of that lot

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i wouldn't even have nic nat at 4 personally

in fact, of the ten listed at the top of the thread, he's probably be 10th for me of that lot

It's also all but guaranteed that if we had of taken NicNat, he would have been on the first plane back to Perth when his contract expired.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Damo said:

Not only did Barry Prendergast lie to Sloane and his folks, and overlooked him twice, he chose Sam Blease. This particular act of choosing a flakey winger instead of the Captain Rory Sloane of Eastern Ranges 2008 is unforgotten. Sloane never rated Blease at all. Wants to be a one club player but has close family ties in Melbourne.

We would have stuffed Sloane up, back then,  anyway.

Clubs have to get the ship right at the top first,  before development happens well.   We,  were a MESS.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Meh, 12 years ago.

I still think that's too high for him. 

I can still recall  watching that overated Shifter Sheahan raving about Watts as a generational forward on a Sunday show. And then he put on the footage. Here was Watts, taller than other boys doing simple leads to 30 out from goal with little or no defensive pressure from his opponent. Then shifter said, now look at this, a beautiful kick as well. I just remember thinking everyone is saying he is going to be a star so I hope they are right but he sure only showed an ability to lead and kick against smaller boys for mine. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Half forward flank said:

I can still recall  watching that overated Shifter Sheahan raving about Watts as a generational forward on a Sunday show. And then he put on the footage. Here was Watts, taller than other boys doing simple leads to 30 out from goal with little or no defensive pressure from his opponent. Then shifter said, now look at this, a beautiful kick as well. I just remember thinking everyone is saying he is going to be a star so I hope they are right but he sure only showed an ability to lead and kick against smaller boys for mine. 

I think you ares pot on Hff

...and this is the sort of poison that gets into their heads,  allowing many kids to get big heads, and upset the learning/development.  Loss of urgency;  from being on edge;  and intensity; which watts went without.

It has gotten in the way of many,  and we also do it amongst us,  pumping up their tyres,  before they've done anything of note over a period of consistency.

Edited by MyFavouriteMartian

12 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Isn't this thread about 2008?

Your right it is Ralph,  but lets not talk ourselves into the mindset of thinking the development rot started only in 2007.  It had been with us since mid 90's,  but has gotten worse thru the new century.

Many kids didn't make it at all,  and others who did make it, didn't reach the highs of completeness they should have reached.  Again poor culture impacting developing ours, to be the best they could achieve.

Yze could have been better fitter and harder.  Bruce should have been more skilled and tougher.  Green as well, should have developed a tougher side than he had.  Robbo had a lot more to give,  defensively,  and holding his feet.

We should have been better than we were, back then,  and more consistently winning, and not being pushed around physically.   This period is when we became soft/bruise free.

We should not allow this to happen within the club, ever again.

These hindsight drafts really give me the craps.  We really were given some exceptional opportunities only to shank it on many occasions.  Still, I do believe nearly every pick at one stage or another showed they could potentially belong at AFL level however agree with most at our ordinary development. 

The biggest hindsight issue I picked up is how Gold Coast picked up bulk draft picks and surrounded them by a few mercenaries where as GWS picked up even more draft picks but surrounded them by elder statesman with more elite training habits.  

I'd love to know how some of the players we picked up during the dark years would have turned out if they started there careers with a West Coast, Sydney or Hawthorn.

There is some talent that we picked up from 2006, they can't have all been duds:

FB:      Morton (4)     Frawley (12)       Bennell (35)

HB:     Strauss (19)    Cook (12)     Grimes (14)

M:     Blease (17)    Gysberts (11)      Scully (1)

HF:     Petterd (30)   Hogan (mini)   Howe (33)

FF:     Maric (21)     Watts (1)     Tapscott (18)

R:     Gawn (34)     Trengove (2)   Toumpas (4)

1 hour ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

I think you ares pot on Hff

...and this is the sort of poison that gets into their heads,  allowing many kids to get big heads, and upset the learning/development.  Loss of urgency;  from being on edge;  and intensity; which watts went without.

It has gotten in the way of many,  and we also do it amongst us,  pumping up their tyres,  before they've done anything of note over a period of consistency.

I also think their is a sympomy of agreement when it comes to many in the recruiting business. I had a contact at a Club for a while and at the time everyone was raving about Scully as a clear number one. Maybe it is just me but I get suspicious when everyone is in lockstep over sommething as speculative of how an 17-18 year old kid with turn out.  

7 hours ago, Half forward flank said:

I also think their is a sympomy of agreement when it comes to many in the recruiting business. I had a contact at a Club for a while and at the time everyone was raving about Scully as a clear number one. Maybe it is just me but I get suspicious when everyone is in lockstep over sommething as speculative of how an 17-18 year old kid with turn out.  

Yep, agreed.  I went to watch games when Scully and Trengove played, and I could not see why Scully was so highly rated.  An athlete yes with work ethic,  BUT what about being a footballer.???

I thought it was me who surely was wrong,  compared to all the hype from professionals.

I was right into Trenners, but I just wasn't into Scully.  But I just accepted, that he scully was the real deal.  The game was changing at the time, and having an engine was the fashion. still is now, but the game needs to swing back,  via reduced interchange.

• Like 1