Jump to content

1988 Elimination Final


Demonland

Recommended Posts

The old cartoon imposer at the end.  Johhno involved in the winning goal.  Great effort from Williams to keep his feet, spin outta that pack and spot up Gazz for the finish.   Noice!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mate of mine dejectedly walked out when WCE hit the front with 4 minutes to go, so he could exit the horrible Waverley car-park.

Heard the first roar when Spalding marked as he went through the gates.  Then the groan as he missed.  Then the roar with the Lyon goal when we hit the front.

Had to turn on the radio to find out we won.  ......Never leave the game early!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Mate of mine dejectedly walked out when WCE hit the front with 4 minutes to go, so he could exit the horrible Waverley car-park.

Heard the first roar when Spalding marked as he went through the gates.  Then the groan as he missed.  Then the roar with the Lyon goal when we hit the front.

Had to turn on the radio to find out we won.  ......Never leave the game early!

Never leave to the match finishes is one of my rules to live by. Regardless of the score. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Dee-Nee said:

how many ads?
Wilson, always held the ball too long
Alan Johnson, terrific player
Duursma pretty good
Jimmy shows his talent
Strawbs no good even before injured
why did we clear Spalding to Carlton?

Strawbs had a fantastic 88, I've been rewatching a lot of games from that year and he was one of our best. In fact after round 22 when he got reported, Scotty Palmer told Morphett or Landy (can't remember which) that Melbourne insiders thought he was our best chance for the Brownlow that year.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, binman said:

Never leave to the match finishes is one of my rules to live by. Regardless of the score. 

I used to think that but the Bailey/Neeld years broke me. Now I leave whenever I feel like it.

Funny thing, when I was a kid at the footy with my dad and uncle they'd always want to leave at the 20 minute mark of the last quarter to beat the traffic, even when we were winning! I couldn't comprehend it as a kid and it still doesn't make sense to me now

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How well has the game evolved in 32years???

Watching the game the ball movement when executed correctly when u consider the wet conditions moved quickly. 
Coaches box only had the coach & a couple of assistants vs 15 now, are they over complicating it now ???

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Hogan2014 said:

How well has the game evolved in 32years???

Watching the game the ball movement when executed correctly when u consider the wet conditions moved quickly. 
Coaches box only had the coach & a couple of assistants vs 15 now, are they over complicating it now ???

You may see this revert after Coronavirus stiffs the AFL.  Small coaching teams could be back on the agenda.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was also at this game and remember two things vividly - Garry Lyons winning goal snap seemed to go about 600m into the air, and goes even higher as I recall it 30 yrs later, and everybody around me were still celebrating so hard that they weren’t watching Wrenstead run towards goals as I watched in horror.

Thank Christ he missed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

I was also at this game and remember two things vividly - Garry Lyons winning goal snap seemed to go about 600m into the air, and goes even higher as I recall it 30 yrs later, and everybody around me were still celebrating so hard that they weren’t watching Wrenstead run towards goals as I watched in horror.

Thank Christ he missed.

I smoked a full pack in that last Quarter 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


18 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Balls Grinter also had a few WC forwards hearing footsteps on occasions.  Always knew how to set the cat amongst the pidgeons.

His game was very good; intimidating, mobile, intercepting, fair-dinkum. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

The old cartoon imposer at the end.  Johhno involved in the winning goal.  Great effort from Williams to keep his feet, spin outta that pack and spot up Gazz for the finish.   Noice!

Williams was very good when he came on from the bench. He went on to play some very high possession games.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

He went on to play some very high possession games.

Funny how we remember things differently.  My recollection of 'Dirty' Williams is that he was a clever player who used the ball well, but never got a lot of it in the first place - more of an opportunist, I suppose, than a stats accumulator.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Funny how we remember things differently.  My recollection of 'Dirty' Williams is that he was a clever player who used the ball well, but never got a lot of it in the first place - more of an opportunist, I suppose, than a stats accumulator.

Very good hands,  a bit of a medium forward,  excellent mark.  And very reliable kick for goal.

He would walk into our list of recent years,  blindfolded.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    Welcome to Demonland: Luker Kentfield

    With the Melbourne Football Club's first pick in the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Draft and pick number 11 overall the Demon's selected Western Australian key forward Luker Kentfield from Subiaco.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 66

    TRAINING: Tuesday 28th May 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin returned to the training track to bring you the following observations from Gosch's Paddock this morning. Beautiful morning for training. The dew has dried, out from AAMI, quiet chatting. Maysie does his heart symbol. 7 in rehab, Turner, Hore, Sestan, BBB, Petty, Spargo and Schache. All in runners. Melky weighted and change of angles work. Salem has his individual program. White cap (no contact), Howes, Woewodin and Sparrow

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    GALLANT by KC from Casey

    The world “gallant” is not one that is readily acceptable to losing teams in our game of football so when it was used in the context of the Casey Demons’ loss to Sandringham in yesterday’s match at Casey Fields, it left a bitter taste in the mouth.  The Demons went into the game against the St Kilda affiliated Zebras with the advantage of playing on their home turf (not that this has been a major asset in 2024) and with very little else going in their favour. The Saints have close to a full

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

    … meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

    The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 152

    PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 29

    VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 396

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 503
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...