Training Ground?

Romey

21 minutes ago, KozzyCan said:

Kind of pointless to think this way when our direct competitors are all better set up in this regard. Telling players to harden up isn't going to attract them to the club.

...and don't our players know it.  They have friends who they played with, who are now at other clubs, so they know exactly what others have and we don't.  They will have seen for themselves with just a short trip across the road to Collngwood or to Tullarmarine, or to Whitten oval or to Carlton, or know what Hawthorn are building at Dingley. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, KozzyCan said:

Kind of pointless to think this way when our direct competitors are all better set up in this regard. Telling players to harden up isn't going to attract them to the club.

Do you seriously think a player is going to be swayed by a football forum, think the softness are the fans.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, praha said:

The Bulldogs might have underachieved from a flag perspective but they have a very strong foothold in the West. I've lived in Essendon for 20 years and Dogs supporters around her outnumber most other clubs. Lots of support around here right along the river through Maidstone and to Footscray. A lot of that has to do with their spiritual base and presence in the community. What they've done out at Whitten Oval is fantastic and the club will continue to grow because of it.

North is based out of an industrial estate and should have moved ages ago like Collingwood did. St Kilda has moved around like 4 times recently and is just a [censored] club. 

But the facts are they have only won 1 flag since 54, 20 odd years, for the bombers and the truth is recruitment and development of players is what gets you flags not what a weight looks like, but remember we won a flag with our setup, or if caulfield is a go will the players living on the peninsula say it's to long to get there.

• Like 1

On 12/09/2024 at 14:31, 58er said:

Waste of paper you wrote on DD not even funny or sensible or quirky. Please don’t try again. 

Do you need a waaaambulance?

On 13/09/2024 at 14:32, FreedFromDesire said:

Caulfield is all systems go. Will be announced next week.

Thanks Kate.

On 13/09/2024 at 17:58, demon3165 said:

Wow, they have to travel for four hours for two days to train. How imposing is that? Guys making good money to play a game. I don't know how the common folk do that for five to six days a week for a lot less money. What a bunch of precious people.

Yah I just don't understand how Danger can drive an hour to Geelong and back every day. Who wants to do that.

• Haha 2
  • Clap 1

I fervently  hope this gets up ( Caulfield) 

Think it will prove pivotal on a number of different Plains.

A chance to build ( rebuild ) a true Home might help heal a lot of our current woes.

A shared focus, not only cathartic but galvanising .

They'll be planting Fuchsias in the Winners Circle soon ( perhaps )

I await an announcement.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

1 minute ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I’m checking my news feeds every 10 minutes.  Dees need to get Caulfield mega development deal through with racing club and government onboard.  It will be a central home for the Dees and our support base. 😀😀😀😀

Could prove very Phoenix-like 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also hope that the Home Base at the Caulfield Racecourse gets the green light.

The MCG precinct was stolen from us by Collingwood when they took Olympic Park from under our noses. We can thank Eddie McGuire's sneakiness and Joseph Gutnick's failures for that happening.

The MCG will always be our ancestral Home, but we sadly missed out on the opportunity to have a proper Home Base there. Missing out on Olympic Park, Punt Road Oval (apparently the Richmond Football Club threatened to leave there in the 1930s), the East Melbourne Cricket Ground being demolished in the 1920s for rail yards and the failed Jolimont Train Station Project a few years ago due to selfish local East Melbourne NIMBYs.

We probably should of built a Home Base in the late 1950s or 1960s after the 1956 Olympics, but I think there was a severe case of hubris that infiltrated the Club due to all our Premiership success at the time. I am sure Norm Smith wanted a proper Home Base and training ground due to the impracticality of the MCG during cricket season.

Apparently former Demons legend and President Stuart Spencer proposed Caulfield Racecourse as a Home Base way back in 1990. So this project is 34 years in the making.

It would rejuvenate the area around the Racecourse and there are many Melbourne supporters in Caulfield, Malvern and nearby Ormond as well as Bentleigh. We would literally be building a Home Base in our old "heart land". It makes sense to do this.

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I think we lost our home, our way long before we got dudded on Olympic Park etc.

Once upon a time , far far away in Football's history the was once a Club who held sway at the "ancestral" home of the Game. As they ought to have having essentially been borne from the creation of the game itself. 

It was once the MCG  the Melbourne Cricket Ground but poignantly also the MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB HOME GROUND.   and ONLY  ours !!!

Then along came Richmond and with the choreographed demise of Suburban VFL grounds others came to call the MCG their 'home' ground. That was where the rot set in properly.  We were hustled and shuffled out of our own home. We've never really had one since and this is why the possibility of recreating a HOME, a MFC only home carries so much weight.

We've always been different as we grew out of another ( the MCC ) as opposed to a locale. Our roots belonged to the game and not a Suburban Grandstand, local high streets and parochial schools and churches . These elements shaped a lot of clubs but not ours. Our cause was essentially more cerebral and it was housed in the MCG ..until it wasn't. 

To renew itself is a rare opportunity for any organisation.  To do it effectively in the middle of its namesake ( Melbourne ) even rarer.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

It was once the MCG  the Melbourne Cricket Ground but poignantly also the MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB HOME GROUND.   and ONLY  ours !!!

Looking back we could/should have played this better. Back in the 70's there were lots of choices with the benefit of hindsight. Imagine if we had pumped money into an expanded Junction Oval complex. (Imagine if we had any money at the time.Remember even Collingwood teetered on bankruptcy.) The League was a mess with the VFA fast surpassing them with its live Sunday football.

If it's any consolation I don't believe Richmond or the Pies will be seen to be having comparatively great facilities in ten odd years. Richmond.. one oval.. no pool.. limited parking etc etc. Pies are in  a heritage building (the swimming pool) which is not a great shape for gyms etc. The old Olympic Park oval is fine but no second oval and massive indoor facility

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The other positive re the Caulfield development is that I understand the AFL are looking at co-locating the umpires there. Presently, they get shunted from venue to venue at the moment and if there is plenty of space at Caulfield (and there is!) that might rationalise the AFL throwing some money that way.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 1

On 18/02/2020 at 14:08, MyFavouriteMartian said:

We,  can place two Mcg sized playing surfaces on this site. is a

I have tried it out,  Via Google aerial shots, and paper cutouts.  They fit fairly well. 

And with room for buildings, if creativity is used. 

Also the other option of building above/across Olympic Boulevarde, is a possibility.

There is a host of reasons why Goschs won't work I am told, but I am currently ignorant of the detail. I would LOVE that to become a permanent home, but been old its not possible, largest reason being lack of indoor facilities required for FT home etc but there are a few others as well, mostly around space from memory, alongside shared tenancy obviously.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beelzebub said:

I fervently  hope this gets up ( Caulfield) 

Think it will prove pivotal on a number of different Plains.

A chance to build ( rebuild ) a true Home might help heal a lot of our current woes.

A shared focus, not only cathartic but galvanising .

They'll be planting Fuchsias in the Winners Circle soon ( perhaps )

I await an announcement.  

I agree it'd be fantastic, IF it goes through! Albeit too late for current group, more to my earlier point. But well said!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BangBnagBang said:

Thanks Kate.

Yah I just don't understand how Danger can drive an hour to Geelong and back every day. Who wants to do that.

Sorry tagged wrong post.. but for those who say 'big deal, travel tie etc boo hoo - or No.31 "When looking for a new job (say it is an office job), do you look at the location, condition, style, facilities of the office, the building its located in and the area it is in?" -- You are missing the point, it is NOT an office-job, it is their life for a SHORT term and they want every advantage to make most of it while they can, so appropriate comparison would be 'do you take a job based on the amount of hours you work, the amount of advantages you get like better training, a laptop supplied, a phone, a gym, a daycare for kids etc..etc

its also largely about convenience! Modern footballers want not only to aforementioned point on facilities: top-grade nutrition and equipment, recovery technology, and most of all -- work/life balance, it is extremely important to them, so asking players to join US when they can join a club with better facilities AND get 6-8hrs a week back in their time-poor lives is just putting the blinkers on...

It is not only about current players, it is about our ability to recruit and to not have our big name players get envious of what they COULD have elsewhere! Casey isn't a full-blown facility anyways, so its mute! I agree in terms of 'who cares, just do it, you took the job etc' but the AFL workforce isn't like other workforces, it is elite and every single advantage is scrutinized by every single person via every tiny crack of every tile... and drafted players don't choose the MFC, they are drafted, so to keep them this stuff becomes super relevant and most of all to WOO new players, it is absolutely imperative. How many of you have actually seen Pies facilities? the meal space, the ridiculous fitness equipment and convenience, the tech? Plenty of youtube vids to watch to see a sneak-peek is enough to go, WOW!!! not to mention central location so players can do more collaborative extra work at club, have their medical appointments there etc etc it goes on and on!

I'd love to hear it is signed off on, great!!! But it will not change our current or immediate future, only the next batch in 3-5 years most likely.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

18 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

…..and don’t forget the admin side of things. We currently occupy broom cupboard space in the MCG spread over several areas. It is amateur in the extreme.

A thing that goes under the radar for many.

To get the whole club back together is a massive thing. It  might just 'connect' a  number of depts  ;) 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

Just letting you all know that I was told today that the Caulfield facility will be announced very soon, perhaps over the next couple of days. 
I was told the MCC is a significant contributor and that the Board considers Pert’s work as exceptional. 
I wouldn’t post this if it wasn’t from a very credible source, so let’s hope we’re all celebrating soon. 

Appreciate u sharing the info g. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

4 hours ago, Hawk the Demon said:

The other positive re the Caulfield development is that I understand the AFL are looking at co-locating the umpires there. Presently, they get shunted from venue to venue at the moment and if there is plenty of space at Caulfield (and there is!) that might rationalise the AFL throwing some money that way.

Would be fantastic to train near the umpires.

The personal relationships we could build with them wouldn't go astray.

• Like 2
  • Clap 3

Just now, Redleg said:

Would be fantastic to train near the umpires.

The personal relationships we could build with them wouldn't go astray.

I didn't want to go there... but it presents an interesting serendipity 🤔 

• Haha 1

Well the "info" machine is working overtime  

Getting curiouser and curiouser

Crossed fingers and toes.

Go ...  us !!! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1