Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Seven year deal for Grundy

Diamond_Jim

I suspect the contract has many KPI's and indices together with a large guaranteed base.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/366351/pie-for-life-in-demand-big-man-signs-monster-long-term-deal

"The ruckman, who was set to become a free agent at the end of this year, will now be tied to the Magpies until the end of the 2027 season. 

Negotiations saw the offer jump from an initial three-year term to five years before the Magpies bumped it to seven years, which Grundy had always been chasing."

I reckon the Pies have over paid, I have held the believe for some time that champion Ruckman do not win you flags. The Pies and us had the two best Ruckman the last couple of years by a long stretch have either won a flag?

No!

Richmond has won two flags in three years with competent Ruckman but not Champions.

The Hawks won numerous flags with the same types. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, old dee said:

I reckon the Pies have over paid, I have held the believe for some time that champion Ruckman do not win you flags. The Pies and us had the two best Ruckman the last couple of years by a long stretch have either won a flag?

No!

Richmond has won two flags in three years with competent Ruckman but not Champions.

Clark Keating....

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, old dee said:

20+ years ago jnr the game has changed.

Many more flags have been won by teams with competent but average Ruckman.

Agree but I think that is what makes Grundy so valuable and much the same with Gawn. Decent if not very good ruckmen but also very good around the ground. It effectively gives a team another player.

Your point though abut the importance of ruckmen is well made.

Going forward I see the perfect ruck combination being two or even three talls who are primarily backmen or forwards rotating through the ruck position. It's another example of the modern game making some positions irrelevant eg. centre, half forward flank, wing

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2

There is risk for the Pies if Grundy suffers a serious injury or becomes injury prone. Advantage for Pies is that if he does avoid injury they will likely be paying Grundy less dollars than his market value in back years of contract if salary cap keeps increasing. Grundy gets security but sacrifices maxxing contract value in back end years of contract.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Clint Buzzkill said:

some great comments in that thread. Noticed this one.... but who was Barry?

• Master Demon
  •  
  • Hannibal
  • Members
  • 4,595 posts
On 11/22/2012 at 8:41 PM, QueensBirthday said:

Honestly, let's look at our Football Dept's effort. They've turned 3, 4, 13, 27 etc. into Hogan, Toumpas, Dawes, Viney. That is a massive effort Dees Ladies and Dees Gents!!! Hats off to you good sir.

You forgot Barry.

I know you said "etc" but Hogan and Barry remain as "twins".

2 hours ago, old dee said:

Post hoc ergo proptor hoc

Because we have Max or Collingwood has Grundy does not mean we are less likely to win a flag, IMO

7 years is too long but it’s almost deliberately too long, just like Buddy’s deal. You’ll get salary cap relief at some stage by agreeing to extra years. 

The Pies were probably going to have to match a 5 year 6 million dollar deal if he hit free agency or accept just one compensation pick. 

You’re better off just signing 7 years 7 million and trying to win a flag whilst you’ve got a very good list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Clark Keating....

I rated Keating as being a solid, robust, reliable ruck option, but I'm not sure that he would have been the best ruck in the league.  Had a pretty decent team around him and did enough to carry his weight and play his role within that team and I think that's really the key.

3 hours ago, old dee said:

No!

But if you get a champion what do you do?

Trade him last October for whatever a club will offer?

Wait until he hits free agency and lose him for one late first round pick?

Grundy is an extra midfielder and worth the contract I think. Most grand final teams have very solid rucks. A lot of teams have traded for them - Nankervis, Jolly, Ottens, McEvoy. Which often costs a decent draft pick and over 500k in today’s contracts. 

Keep Grundy, pick up a cheap midfielder or flanker and you’ve got a better list than sending Grundy away, finding a solid replacement and having extra spending money. 

In Collingwood terms I’d rather Grundy and John Noble from the mid season draft than trading for a Nankervis and keeping James Aish. 

Edited by DeeSpencer

2 hours ago, old dee said:

Capuano, Barnes, Keating, McDonald, Lade, Jolly, Cox(exception) Ottens, Renouf  Ottens, Jolly, Ottens Pike, Mcevoy, Roughead J, Nankervis & Lycett over 20year priod pretty much support your argument and most of the Runner ups in those years are in a similar boat

• Love 1

7 years for a gun player is a fair trade in today’s market. 
i have never been a fan of long contracts, but sometimes they make good sense. 

Grundy can play all over the ground, the Filth don’t want to play against him, particularly in September 

I am sure it  will be front loaded then taper off as he gets more battle weary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, demoniac said:

There is risk for the Pies if Grundy suffers a serious injury or becomes injury prone. Advantage for Pies is that if he does avoid injury they will likely be paying Grundy less dollars than his market value in back years of contract if salary cap keeps increasing. Grundy gets security but sacrifices maxxing contract value in back end years of contract.

I doubt it. The contract will have a base but you can be reasonably certain that it is full of all sorts of adders and that if in year 6 he's still AA he'll be one of their top paid players.

He's only 25.. so it's not like the Buddy contract that took the player out to 34 years plus. If it had been a ten year contract I think there would be more merit in your argument.

From Grundy's viewpoint he has secured his "injury future" with a seven year guaranteed base of at at least $600k plus the upside. I suspect that the base for the first two or three years might even be higher than the remaining four.

Will we offer Gawn a similar deal. I doubt it. He's 3 years older than Grundy. Our decision will be four or the five years that Gawn will probably ask for. I'd be happy to give Gawn 3 years guaranteed high money with two year lower plus incentives.

27 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

7 years for a gun player is a fair trade in today’s market. 
i have never been a fan of long contracts, but sometimes they make good sense. 

Grundy can play all over the ground, the Filth don’t want to play against him, particularly in September 

I am sure it  will be front loaded then taper off as he gets more battle weary

Sir WYL that would be a longer contract than Reg had, wouldn't it?  I don't remember.. 

Speaking of Collingwood,  isn't it great to see that Eddie McGuire has used his influence to galvanise Magpie fans into doing what they can for the fire ravaged areas in Victoria.

As we speak, there are two busloads of looters on their way to East Gippsland.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, faultydet said:

I'd sign Oliver to a 7yr deal in a heartbeat.

The power really is with the players right now. Good luck to him.

Hope they lose De Goey to a crap club.

Agree but at 22 he'd be mad to sign a deal of that length. His next contract will be 3/4 years and the one after that will be the money contract not to say that his next deal will be cheap.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I rated Keating as being a solid, robust, reliable ruck option, but I'm not sure that he would have been the best ruck in the league.  Had a pretty decent team around him and did enough to carry his weight and play his role within that team and I think that's really the key.

Keating would have been hampered worse than Jeff White when they made the rule change to stop ruckman taking run ups.

His best asset was charging into the ballup thumping the ball forward and smashing into whoever was up against him.

It helped he had Voss, Aka, Simon Black and Nigel Lappin running after his thumping hit outs.

• Like 1