Josh Mahoney

olisik

Came to our club as an assistance coach and has somehow moved his way into operations and seems to often evade the scrutiny despite being at the center of a lot of the clubs decisions and now being the one to lead the internal review. Known to be a poor negotiator come trade period and an ex team mate of Chaplin who also seems to be escaping scrutiny despite the defence Roos installing being wiped.

Should Mahoney be under more heat?

His post playing career so far

• Forward Coach at Demons 2008-2011 (No prior experience).

•Football Administration at Demons 2011-2013  (On Mark Neelds appointment) (No Prior experience)

•Promoter to general manager of operations 2013-Present.(No prior experience)

In his time at Demons we have only made finals once yet this is the man who is in charge of our internal review. He has no experience at all outside of the experience Demons have given him.

•He was present for tanking debarcle

•Present for Mark Neeld debarcle

•Present for Mitch Clark debarcle

•Present for Toumpas/Watts/Blease/Tapscott/Cook/Morton/Gysberts/Scully/Strauss/Trengove debarcle

•Present for 2019 debarcle

•Present for Lever/May debarcle.

Yet has always avoided responsibility and seems to have gotten a free ride up the ranks.

Edited by olisik
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Classic Melbourne that we have the GM of Football Operations leading a review into:

Football operations - His role.

The managing of players - His mate's role.

The coaching - A few of his mates' roles.

Player leadership - His mates son's role.

Man wins a cupie doll !!

This is a symptom  of what is wrong  at Melbourne. 

This is not a trend...it's  a trail

5 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Man wins a cupie doll !!

This is a symptom  of what is wrong  at Melbourne. 

This is not a trend...it's  a trail

The AGM could end up like the Dallas Brooks Hall in 1996

We need an EXTERNAL REVIEW of The Football Department. Simple.

If it aint done Membership is not renewed. 

32 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Classic Melbourne that we have the GM of Football Operations leading a review into:

Football operations - His role.

The managing of players - His mate's role.

The coaching - A few of his mates' roles.

Player leadership - His mates son's role.

SA Crew.

• Like 1

i think the pressure will come to bear on the whole football dept next season - off-field crew are keeping up their end of the bargain, now it's up to football side to get themselves together

so many wanted mahoney appointed as ceo; i'm glad it didn't happen but we still have a lot of concerns with our football dept and i find it staggering that he is the one conducting the review into them

Josh Mahoney is incredibly highly rated within the industry for the role he does, and does an excellent job overall. which is why he's risen through the ranks very quickly.  i've heard that he was right in the mix for the CEO position 

he's the least of our problems imo

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Josh Mahoney is incredibly highly rated within the industry for the role he does, and does an excellent job overall. which is why he's risen through the ranks very quickly.  i've heard that he was right in the mix for the CEO position 

We will never know if he's the one reviewing his own performance.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rjay said:

We will never know if he's the one reviewing his own performance.

i am of the opinion the external review will also occur at the same time, but ultimately if we don't improve next season, he and Goodwin will be under serious pressure to retain their positions. this is playing out so they get things exactly how they want them, if it doesn't work it falls directly on them.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

How is he highly rated? His only done the job for one place which is failing miserably, not sure that constitutes ‘excellent job’. Considering the amount of debacles that have occurred in his time at the club.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

i am of the opinion the external review will also occur at the same time, but ultimately if we don't improve next season, he and Goodwin will be under serious pressure to retain their positions. this is playing out so they get things exactly how they want them, if it doesn't work it falls directly on them.

Next season will be wasted if we don't learn and move forward.

We can't afford to wait...Bartlett can check his ego at the door and get a review under way.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, olisik said:

How is he highly rated? His only done the job for one place which is failing miserably, not sure that constitutes ‘excellent job’. Considering the amount of debacles that have occurred in his time at the club.

because people within the industry who deal with him think highly of him, he's played a huge role in retaining all the good young players we wanted to keep, and getting them on long term deals

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rjay said:

Next season will be wasted if we don't learn and move forward.

We can't afford to wait...Bartlett can check his ego at the door and get a review under way.

I agree, and think the external review will happen. the difficult thing to know is what level the club thinks the issues rise to, as in, if it's mostly injuries/coaching then Mahoney might not be the worst person to conduct the review, though i i think they'll get the second opinion as well.

4 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

because people within the industry who deal with him think highly of him, he's played a huge role in retaining all the good young players we wanted to keep, and getting them on long term deals

And he would have played a vital role in getting Darren Burgess to the club. I’m not entirely sure  @olisik knows what the role of GM - Football Manager encompasses.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Haha 1