The calumny of the AFL's priority pick policy

olisik

5 hours ago, Skin Deeamond said:

Let them perish. It’s a dumb idea. Two teams in a Rugby League state. The AFL is run by money hungry morons who are wrecking the game. Next we’ll have a team based in China or Sierra Leone.

Couldn't agree more SD.  This game is completely corrupted and beyond saving.

Paige Cardona just tweeted -

"Why have the AFL given the Suns pick 2 to go with No.1? Why not put money into the clubs soft cap? Invest in development, facilities etc? There's no guarantee these kids won't request a trade in a few years time. Pushing other clubs back in the draft is robbing Peter to pay Paul."

She’s a Collingwood supporter in case anyone’s wondering. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I don't think Ben King will head back to Melbourne this year. If he decides to then i would be all for giving the suns pick 3. That would give the sun pick 1,2 and 3 in the draft. 

Ben King will come back home at the end of 2020 when his contract expires and he will go to St Kilda.

Gold Coast is said to be prepared to trade pick 2 for Brad Crouch and will give him a 5 years deal at $1m a year. Crouch can play but they’re spending far too much for someone who misses a third of a season on average through injury. They would cheapen pick 2 because of that sort of horse trading.

11 minutes ago, Blistering said:

Gold Coast is said to be prepared to trade pick 2 for Brad Crouch and will give him a 5 years deal at $1m a year. Crouch can play but they’re spending far too much for someone who misses a third of a season on average through injury. They would cheapen pick 2 because of that sort of horse trading.

They have form Blister, they gave up pick #2 for Lachie Weller too. FMD.

• Like 1

If the Suns get the priority pick 2 what can you say in the AFL managements defence and the AFL Commission of Drones apathetic acceptance? . What do these commissioners get paid to rubber stamp Gills latest thought bubble? 

The Suns have underperformed for the last 7 of the 9 years of their existence. In the last 7 years their big problem is they can’t keep their best players so their best players leave giving them multiple first round draft picks year after year to add to their normal first or second pick for finishing last or second last. So the AFL solution is now more first round draft picks? Give me a break.

For the last 10 years the AFL has run the line that a priority pick is not the answer for Carlton and MFC who have had similar multiple bad years! 

The real answer for the Suns is more about extra salary cap to pay more to retain players, AFL management intervention a la what happened with us with Jackson and Roos inserted into a dysfunctional administration set up and coaching department. 

Edited by Earl Hood
  • Like 2

I couldn't give a stuff if the Sun's get a priority pick (which they have/will). Who cares, we got knocked back one spot, big deal. The draft is a complete lottery. The Suns must succeed for the sake of the game and if giving them a priority pick helps them get there then that's good.

I'm not sure how much it will help, particularly in the short term but the AFL cant afford to have uncompetitive teams anchored to the foot of the ladder for years at a time. It's bad for the competition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I couldn't give a stuff if the Sun's get a priority pick (which they have/will). Who cares, we got knocked back one spot, big deal. The draft is a complete lottery. The Suns must succeed for the sake of the game and if giving them a priority pick helps them get there then that's good.

I'm not sure how much it will help, particularly in the short term but the AFL cant afford to have uncompetitive teams anchored to the foot of the ladder for years at a time. It's bad for the competition.

They don't seem to mind Melbourne & Saints being on the bottom of the VFL/AFL ladder.

• Like 1

No brainer on the cards!

Pick 1 & 2 - GC take Rowell & Anderson 

Melbourne trade Pick 3 for Ben King and GC on trade to Adelaide for Crouch.

An exchange of draft picks as well.

I would expect Adelaide to cough up a 2nd rounder (possible future) to GC which could then be passed onto the Dees.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Great Pretender said:

Ben King will come back home at the end of 2020 when his contract expires and he will go to St Kilda.

7 hours ago, Redleg said:

That's what I was told.

I can’t see the King Brothers in the same team... 

Confident Dees get Ben.

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Why "must the Suns succeed for the sake of the game"? 

21 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

There’s simply been far too many cases like Fyfe, Cripps, Curnow, Oliver, Rozee, Stephenson, Bontempelli, etc. ad nauseum, where the best players from a draft come from outside the consensus-top-few at the time of the draft.

You just have to look at the players who were duking it out for the Brownlow: Fyfe (20), Dangerfield (10), Neale (30s?), Cripps (13), Kelly (20s), Grundy (20), Coniglio (2), Zorko (rookie?), Martin (3).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Beetle said:

F1029604-16EF-46BE-A6A5-45FA3D290A9B.jpeg

? That's the spirit! Nice work Beetle 

And if you believe Timmy & Garry they Sons only got pick 2 as the AFL linked the deal to a long term 4 years contract on both.  So the optimists who were somehow hoping we might pick them up anyway in two years.... ummm maybe not.  I doubt we would get either anyway given our parlous state atm unless there's a Lazarus like recovery into finals over the next two seasons.

2 hours ago, Jara said:

Why "must the Suns succeed for the sake of the game"? 

Because having uncompetitive teams is bad for the competition. Because having teams anchored to the bottom of the ladder for decades on end is bad for the comp. Because for the national expansion of the game to really take home we need the expansion teams to at least be competitive to help grow interest with flow on effects to media rights, talent pool etc.

It's a no brainer.

10 hours ago, Blistering said:

Surely, Crouch isn't worth anything like pick 2! 

Maybe Crows are offering their pick #4 back again so GCS just drop down two spots.  But trading out pick 2 makes a complete mockery of why they want it - to get Rowell and Anderson as they are best mates and likely to stay together at GCS.

I would be furious? if GCS trade out pick 2.  We suffer the most:  not only do we miss Anderson the Crows trump our position to split pick 2/3.

I would rather trade pick 3 to GCS for #2 (and include Stretch if rumours are to be believed) at least then we regain our correct position in the draft. 

Hoping that story on Crouch is just speculation. 

GCS just can't be allowed to trade out pick 2!  Unless it is back to us.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

47 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Because having uncompetitive teams is bad for the competition. Because having teams anchored to the bottom of the ladder for decades on end is bad for the comp. Because for the national expansion of the game to really take home we need the expansion teams to at least be competitive to help grow interest with flow on effects to media rights, talent pool etc.

It's a no brainer.

Boy, you've accepted the party line.

I couldn't care less about the 'national expansion" - I just want my team to win a bloody flag. The expansion teams snapping up the top picks at the same time as we were bottoming out is one of the (many) reasons we suck. 

2 hours ago, Mach5 said:

There’s simply been far too many cases like Fyfe, Cripps, Curnow, Oliver, Rozee, Stephenson, Bontempelli, etc. ad nauseum, where the best players from a draft come from outside the consensus-top-few at the time of the draft.

You just have to look at the players who were duking it out for the Brownlow: Fyfe (20), Dangerfield (10), Neale (30s?), Cripps (13), Kelly (20s), Grundy (20), Coniglio (2), Zorko (rookie?), Martin (3).

Great observation. Let's swap our Pick 3 for Pick 20. Or - why not go the whole hog? - 60. We might pick up the next James Hird.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We made a Prelim 1 year ago.

Yes we did, but i have followed this club from birth. I always remember from a young age, the pain of loss after loss, not just for one season, over years of only twice making a GF and being smashed by both hawks, and ess.

As a kid it was hard when every year the magpies and carlton were the two teams winning gf after gf and having the best sides, as our side sat at the bottom of the ladder, year after year. 

I was there when our great Jimmy Stynes run over the mark, i have sat in the pouring rain, watching our team being pumped by the saint's. I have sat in the hot sun getting sunburn, and yes watching our team get done.

Why, after all the time since gc have been in the AFL, this is the bloody year they have asked for a pp, whilst we once again we find ourselves at the bottom of the 2019 season?

GC through clumps of $$$ to Ablett jr and IF, sorry not sure how to spell the guys name, the rugby player guy.

They also had the cream of the croup for two years in draft picks, and left everyone else with the scraps.

Yes we got to a pelim last year, but if we had pick two, we could have chosen Anderson witch could be player that could help our club improve and maybe just maybe win a gf? However the AFL are going to gift GC our pick two and no one is even cares, about the Melbourne Football club.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, deebug said:

Yes we did, but i have followed this club from birth. I always remember from a young age, the pain of loss after loss, not just for one season, over years of only twice making a GF and being smashed by both hawks, and ess.

As a kid it was hard when every year the magpies and carlton were the two teams winning gf after gf and having the best sides, as our side sat at the bottom of the ladder, year after year. 

I was there when our great Jimmy Stynes run over the mark, i have sat in the pouring rain, watching our team being pumped by the saint's. I have sat in the hot sun getting sunburn, and yes watching our team get done.

Why, after all the time since gc have been in the AFL, this is the bloody year they have asked for a pp, whilst we once again we find ourselves at the bottom of the 2019 season?

GC through clumps of $$$ to Ablett jr and IF, sorry not sure how to spell the guys name, the rugby player guy.

They also had the cream of the croup for two years in draft picks, and left everyone else with the scraps.

Yes we got to a pelim last year, but if we had pick two, we could have chosen Anderson witch could be player that could help our club improve and maybe just maybe win a gf? However the AFL are going to gift GC our pick two and no one is even cares, about the Melbourne Football club.

The AFL has helped us along the way, we've had 3 round 1 priority picks plus an additional end of round 1 pick, we got extremely fair compe sation for Frawley when he left (and even Sylvia we probably got overs for), we've been bailed out financially and the AFL helped restructure our FD and get in Jackson and Roos

To cry poor like the AFL has just left us to dwell at the foot of the table is disingenuous.

• Like 1