Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

Foxtel Sports aka Kayo


Diamond_Jim
 Share


Recommended Posts


Have the Telstra tv box on our TV and used it for Foxtel now last year, worked fine. It has already downloaded the Kayo app automatically for use. Haven't checked it out yet but certainly will before the footy season starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2019 at 1:41 PM, Smokey said:

Have been giving kayo a whirl for the past few weeks watching NCAA football. Foxtel has now been cancelled permanently. Highly recommend this service, it's simply incredible. 

Can I ask what speed your internet is running at? Are you on NBN?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Matt Demon said:

Can I ask what speed your internet is running at? Are you on NBN?

Hi Matt

this article may be helpful to you. It suggests you need a minimum steady speed of just under 8mbs to enjoy Kayo in HD.

https://www.finder.com.au/kayo-data-usage

Interestingly enough I was reading elsewhere that if we ever see 4k streaming it will require a speed of 20mbs. I also saw a comment saying that a 4k television camera costs around A$1M so I doubt we will be seeing much 4k content. And of course they are just about to release 8k televisions. Boy this area has come a long way fast.

Here's the article about why we don't see much 4k streaming. The comments are very instructive.

https://www.residentialsystems.com/blogs/2018-finally-be-year-4k-broadcast-tv-content

Edited by Diamond_Jim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have progressed from IQ3 to Foxtel Now and finally with Kayo.  

Value wise it simply cant be beat, I used it through the beta testing and they have constantly been improving the product and stability.  4K is an inevitability but makes complete sense that they are providing a product that most can use now.  Given the limited content available in 4K, it wasnt a consideration to me, but maybe it is for others.

The monopoly that Fox have on sports in Australia will continue to crumble and their only hope is to offer a sports streaming option that will eventually be competed with (similar to the US).

Given the two week trial and the lack of contracts, I'd encourage anyone to give it a go.  Similar to Netflix you can get two screens (or users) for $25 and an additional for $35/month

FYI - I have FTTB via TPG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Hi Matt

this article may be helpful to you. It suggests you need a minimum steady speed of just under 8mbs to enjoy Kayo in HD.

https://www.finder.com.au/kayo-data-usage

Interestingly enough I was reading elsewhere that if we ever see 4k streaming it will require a speed of 20mbs. I also saw a comment saying that a 4k television camera costs around A$1M so I doubt we will be seeing much 4k content. And of course they are just about to release 8k televisions. Boy this area has come a long way fast.

Here's the article about why we don't see much 4k streaming. The comments are very instructive.

https://www.residentialsystems.com/blogs/2018-finally-be-year-4k-broadcast-tv-content

Thanks for the info mate, I'm on an nbn plan and speed sits around 18 - 20mbs depending on time of day. 

My nba league pass struggles sometimes so I'm a little concerned kayo may do the same but i guess i won't know til i sign up. I'm also waiting for the smart tv app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2019 at 6:04 AM, Matt Demon said:

Can I ask what speed your internet is running at? Are you on NBN?

I live rural near Bungendore in NSW and am forced to use satellite based NBN services. For the most part, it holds its own and only sometimes do I experience temporary drops in picture quality. I normally watch sport on my big iPad, so I can't speak to the quality of accessing the service over my connection via a browser. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Just another update...

apparently kayo released a tweet in the last couple of days saying they were still working on the Android TV app.... (said they want to get it perfect... which makes sense.)

Most comments on the Whirlpool site are favourable. There are sound synchronisation issues with some devices seems to be the most prevalent complaint.

Still looking very good as an investment for the upcoming season.

Cheers from Bangladesh !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, loges said:

Has anyone used it via Telstra tv. It appears the app has already downloaded on the system but I haven't given it a try yet?

yes, i use it thru telstra tv

i find it a patchy experience tbh; but i think that's my internet connectivity (adsl at sub-7mb/ps) rather than the service itself

when my internet has nothing else running it - as in no one else is streaming video - it runs in hd perfectly

it's speedier / more current than the foxtel now app on telstra tv, which i tend to find out the score change via official / unofficial apps before it happens on screen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

yes, i use it thru telstra tv

i find it a patchy experience tbh; but i think that's my internet connectivity (adsl at sub-7mb/ps) rather than the service itself

when my internet has nothing else running it - as in no one else is streaming video - it runs in hd perfectly

it's speedier / more current than the foxtel now app on telstra tv, which i tend to find out the score change via official / unofficial apps before it happens on screen

yep there's a lot of discussion about the needed speed on the whirlpool site.

People say why is it not like Netflix. According to the experts it is the refresh rate of sport that requires more bandwidth.

7mbs is right on the margin if I recall and 13mbs should get very good definition.. I think

Looking forward to trying the service when my internet goes beyond its present 3 or 4mbs with lots of drop outs...grrrrrrrrr

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

yep there's a lot of discussion about the needed speed on the whirlpool site.

People say why is it not like Netflix. According to the experts it is the refresh rate of sport that requires more bandwidth.

7mbs is right on the margin if I recall and 13mbs should get very good definition.. I think

Looking forward to trying the service when my internet goes beyond its present 3 or 4mbs with lots of drop outs...grrrrrrrrr

yeat, that

also, it's live - netflix is not 'live', it's just pulling down static video from servers

live video is a very different kettle of fish 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

yes, i use it thru telstra tv

i find it a patchy experience tbh; but i think that's my internet connectivity (adsl at sub-7mb/ps) rather than the service itself

when my internet has nothing else running it - as in no one else is streaming video - it runs in hd perfectly

it's speedier / more current than the foxtel now app on telstra tv, which i tend to find out the score change via official / unofficial apps before it happens on screen

Thanks Foxtel Now worked fine last year so hopefully Telstra Tv will too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd check how everyone who signed up was going with this? I'm contemplating signing up, (and ditching Foxtel) but want to do the trial and hope they finish the app soon. Anyone know if it'll be ready for the start of the season??

On that I know Chromecast seems the way to go but are there other streaming devices out there?  Does Telstra tv work if you're not one of there customers? I know there are other forums out there on this but they are 50+ pages long so hard to find these answers and thought someone here might know

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to the Whirlpool site the Android TV app will be available prior to season start.

I can imagine they are having trouble making the app compatible with all makes of TV. If it is anything like the ABC app and Samsung TV's I can understand.

The other thing that is becoming obvious is that they are not offering the full Foxtel with all its bells and whistles. It is the Foxtel Now product with perhaps better HD. As such you get channel 7 coverage if they are broadcasting an AFL match (including ads) and no easy recording.

The whirlpool discussion on Kayo is now over 200 pages ! Plenty of discussion on the playing media along with syncing issues.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2763582?p=215

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

According to the Whirlpool site the Android TV app will be available prior to season start.

I can imagine they are having trouble making the app compatible with all makes of TV. If it is anything like the ABC app and Samsung TV's I can understand.

The other thing that is becoming obvious is that they are not offering the full Foxtel with all its bells and whistles. It is the Foxtel Now product with perhaps better HD. As such you get channel 7 coverage if they are broadcasting an AFL match (including ads) and no easy recording.

The whirlpool discussion on Kayo is now over 200 pages ! Plenty of discussion on the playing media along with syncing issues.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2763582?p=215

Thank you Mr DJ

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Just thought I'd check how everyone who signed up was going with this? I'm contemplating signing up, (and ditching Foxtel) but want to do the trial and hope they finish the app soon. Anyone know if it'll be ready for the start of the season??

On that I know Chromecast seems the way to go but are there other streaming devices out there?  Does Telstra tv work if you're not one of there customers? I know there are other forums out there on this but they are 50+ pages long so hard to find these answers and thought someone here might know

Signed up the week it was released...

Cancelled my Foxtel subscription 2 days later...

Onward and upward!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For this season I’ll be sticking with ‘traditional’ Foxtel. I rang them today to get a better deal and after threatening to cancel I settled on paying $29 a month for IQ3, this is for the Entertainment package, Sports channels and HD. If you’re in a similar boat and only have Foxtel for AFL give them a call and save yourself a few bucks. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

For this season I’ll be sticking with ‘traditional’ Foxtel. I rang them today to get a better deal and after threatening to cancel I settled on paying $29 a month for IQ3, this is for the Entertainment package, Sports channels and HD. If you’re in a similar boat and only have Foxtel for AFL give them a call and save yourself a few bucks. 

Thats a good deal. What's the card rate for all of that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

According to the Whirlpool site the Android TV app will be available prior to season start.

I can imagine they are having trouble making the app compatible with all makes of TV. If it is anything like the ABC app and Samsung TV's I can understand.

The other thing that is becoming obvious is that they are not offering the full Foxtel with all its bells and whistles. It is the Foxtel Now product with perhaps better HD. As such you get channel 7 coverage if they are broadcasting an AFL match (including ads) and no easy recording.

The whirlpool discussion on Kayo is now over 200 pages ! Plenty of discussion on the playing media along with syncing issues.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2763582?p=215

Hey Diamond... can you advise on a mobile with sim only ISP......  that is good for live streaming.

 

I am over Telstra. and the inconsistent speeds...  even sometimes just trying to open pages...  and Optus have made big changes recently out here.

I'm looking to change, but want some decent speeds, and consistency.

I may be streaming for my first time...  via mobile or dongle?

 

 #edit:  buy the way have you been a DJ ?

Edited by DV8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2018 at 8:55 PM, Clint Bizkit said:

Normal Foxtel is dying anyway, this will save them.

It won't if they up their prices. I pay $15 a month for Optus Sports (EPL, UCL and cricket). I understand there's more sport on Kayo, but it's not a competitive good enough price at $25 a month. I pay basically $10 each for Stan, Netflix and Prime. They're competitive. FOXTEL is not competitive as we know. I pay $80+ a month and barely even watch it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, A F said:

It won't if they up their prices. I pay $15 a month for Optus Sports (EPL, UCL and cricket). I understand there's more sport on Kayo, but it's not a competitive good enough price at $25 a month. I pay basically $10 each for Stan, Netflix and Prime. They're competitive. FOXTEL is not competitive as we know. I pay $80+ a month and barely even watch it.

You might be right but Kayo like Netflix is a different product to Foxtel.

Foxtel required a physical boxto be delivered, long term contracts etc. It wasn't an impromptu purchase by any means.

On the other hand Netflix and the modern streaming apps are just click a few times on your phone and you're away.

Sorry DV8 I'm no expert on mobile sim plans but have a look at this section of Whirlpool.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/114

PS the closest I ever came to being a DJ was playing the Hot August Night album at full volume !!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...