Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

Bell and Freo are in the classic bind, lose Neald to get Hogan, means a weaker midfield to gain a stronger forward line... and as we know without a quality midfield the best forwards in the league won’t win you games of footy. 

We should have anticipated this (as should have Hogan and his manager). 

Core question for me is WHY? Why does Hogan want to leave us as we set up to play finals and have a realistic crack at immortality to go to a crappy Freo? 

Why? 

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Deevout said:

I wonder if Freo have convinced Neale to stay. Just a thought. 

Neale thought Freo were being big hearted and were looking after his interests.

Now he realises they struggle to tie their own shoelaces.

Lachie, there are phone numbers you can call to help you through this.

I’m not sure what people are talking about with other clubs, it was Freo or us. Freo have overplayed their hand and I hope Jesse and his manager are so angry that they tell them to get f—ked and not call again. 

Bell’s a proper idiot. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

We need to say nothing, don't inflame the situation and hope Freo or Brisbane do the Neale deal. Then straight on the phone with a promise that all will be forgiven if they give us pick 5 and the future 2nd rounder.

As long as that all happens with more than an hour left we'll get May and come up happy.

Freo are using their leverage. Good luck to them. Not sure I'd be going this hard but I'd be doing similar.

Can't go back we'd look silly.

So no Neale, no Hogan, Taberner & McCarthy leading their forward line again and RTB sitting in the coach box. No wonder their membership renewal emails are telling current members there are plenty of seats to upgrade to, they will be haemorrhaging members after the season they’ve just had, this debacle and WCE winning the flag. Absolute disaster for that club.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

now is the time to cuddle up to young Jesse and sign him for four years at $800-900k

that's what a Hawthorn ... the family club... would do

Wouldn't they pop him on the trade table for Wingard? ;)

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Bell and Freo are in the classic bind, lose Neald to get Hogan, means a weaker midfield to gain a stronger forward line... and as we know without a quality midfield the best forwards in the league won’t win you games of footy. 

We should have anticipated this (as should have Hogan and his manager). 

Core question for me is WHY? Why does Hogan want to leave us as we set up to play finals and have a realistic crack at immortality to go to a crappy Freo? 

Why? 

part of it would undoubtedly be big spondulaks on a lonnng contract

8 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Short term solution. Hogan won’t be at Melbourne beyond 2019

I would have thought that too but 'the chart has flipped' as GW would say. Freo have professed their love to Jessie for years, he finally does something about it and in effect they reject him. From what I've seen and heard about Jesse that will hurt him deeply and that little Freo fan inside him just might be gone. He knows he is loved at Melbourne and that love is tangible. I wouldn't be surprised if he re-signs long term with us now. I certainly hope so.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, samcantstandya said:

History books don't care about which clubs look silly. They care about the wins and losses and if the opportunity still exists before Wednesday to turn Hogan in to May and something then we have to do it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

part of it would undoubtedly be big spondulaks on a lonnng contract

Yeah maybe, but meh!! Really Jessie, you’re in this business for cash not flags..?  That’s sad. 

1 minute ago, TRIGON said:

AFL website's poll currently split as to whether it really all off, or this is a ruse by Fremantle. 

So thread page 300 is still on the cards!

Need 333 ;)

11 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Half a week. Ends Wednesday 8:30pm in time for the Demonland Podcast Trade Wrap Up Show featuring an interview with former Demon CEO Peter Jackson.

I see, I was reading this  >  Friday, 16 November 2pm: NAB AFL Trade Period closes (for exchange of selections only).

It just doesn’t sit with me that they’d 

chase Jesse for the last 6 years including before he was at Melbourne 

offer him a truckload if cash 

get him over there for the tour for four hours 

get his hopes up, finally convince him to join them. 

And then only low ball us but make an offer they know we won’t accept and refuse to budge. It’s insulting to us and especially to Jesse. 

This is absolute amateur hour from the freo people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

It just doesn’t sit with me that they’d 

chase Jesse for the last 6 years including before he was at Melbourne 

offer him a truckload if cash 

get him over there for the tour for four hours 

get his hopes up, finally convince him to join them. 

And then only low ball us but make an offer they know we won’t accept and refuse to budge. It’s insulting to us and especially to Jesse. 

This is absolute amateur hour from the freo people. 

There are 3 logical possibilities:

1. Freo are idiots

2. Freo is holding out for a last minute deal with us

3. There is something about Hogan that is not public; injury or whatever.

I'm not sure 1. is proved yet and it's a mistake to assume your opponent is an idiot.  No 2. seems most likely.  

• Like 2

Freo are an absolute rabble. Cannot believe that, after how many years of chasing a genuine star key forward, they finally convince one to join them and then pull this. Whether it is a negotiating tactic or not, it is completely baffling. They have no idea what they are doing.

29 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Short term solution. Hogan won’t be at Melbourne beyond 2019

Where is he going?  Surely the Freo bridge is burnt now.

I get that this saga has pi55ed you off, but there's an opportunity to get around him and make him feel at home.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, samcantstandya said:

It's not about looking silly

It's about winning Premierships.

You only look silly when you realise you didn't do what you could.

• Like 1