Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion: JLT #2 vs St. Kilda

Demonland

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

I feel as though the 'Extra Handball of Pointlessness' is being eradicated on a small sample set to be sure.

I think @Clint Bizkit was one to agree that this one of our biggest issues last year - thoughts?

Maybe I am seeing what I want to see.

The willingness to simply kick the ball forward by foot to clear a contest certainly has increased this pre-season.

17 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Travis Johnstone when on song could win a game off his own boot.

He was good. He had all the bits and pieces to be great. Wasn't though. I'll give you the fact that quarter was as good as a demon has played for many a year. But his consistency isn't there. Took him about 6-7 years to win his only B and F. Oliver got one in his second year. A worthy challenge, but I take Oliver.

17 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Scott Thompson but unfortunately he got away to Adelaide, an absolute gun in my opinion but maybe never quite recognised as such by the footy public. 

Yeah he's another one people bring up often. I remember before he got hurt in his big breakout year, he got about 11 rounds in and looked sensational. Again though... He played well, but not at Oliver's level... that came after he wore the red and blue. But yes.

16 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I agree. Even though we ultimately lost the game, Travis Johnstone’s 3rd quarter against the Crows in 2002 is the best (short) period of football I have ever seen by any player. It was unbelievable. I can’t recall being more excited watching footy as I was at 3/4 time in that game. I couldn’t speak following the final siren though. Was a devastating and ultimately undeserved loss.

I think it's still the most devastated I've been post game in my life. Last year's round 23 was NOTHING compared to that 2002 game. I didn't really speak for 2 days.

3 hours ago, willmoy said:

read the book 125 years of Melbourne Demons.

Townsend and Kenny Emselle and Barassi were, when together in the middle, a Champion Midfield.

Going back to original post, the comment was "In my lifetime."

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

A couple of points, my knock on Tyson is his disposal. If he gets that right he is a good player.

I don't think there is Vince hate on here, rather it is Vince disappointment with a couple of his brain fade suspensions and some bad turnovers.

Hannan is 189cms and can take pack marks and is not a small forward.

For sure. I love Tyson. In a lesser side he'd be B and F material year in year out. In this midfield though...

I had a long argument this time last year with someone on here about how they said Vince sucks and should retire. There is a great deal of chagrin with him. And Lewis. Never understood either.

Fritsch is 188cm, can take a mark, and is a small forward. Hannan gets a lot of his scores off of play on. Of course he can take a grab. So can Tracca, so can Braysh. Both are considered midfielders. Hannan is no 196 Weed, or 195cm Hogan. Call them what you want, general forward, utility whatever... he's not a KP player. He's not competing with Hogan, Weed and TMac for a KP forward slot. 

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Greg Wells

Again. In my lifetime.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, old dee said:

Do you want to win those games? The guy needs to prove he can do well at Casey before you worry about AFL.

Of course he does.   Did you not read the post properly.

2018 is our year to make the finals.   No one gets games, without deserving them.

3 hours ago, Vagg said:

Agreed.  Alas, I seem to recall that both Townsend and Emselle suffered some serious injuries and, when one was on the park, the other was injured.  Not sure how many games they actually got to play in the same side, but both were seriously good Rovers.  That Barassi bloke wasn't too shabby, either, in the Ruck-Rover role that he basically invented!

Of course, around the same time, there was a very special lad running around on the HFF, snagging a few goals.  Can't quite remember his name...

Oh, that's right.  Some no-name bloke called Barrie Vagg...!  LOL

"Willow the wisp" on the radio, as was Northey........

3 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

He was good. He had all the bits and pieces to be great. Wasn't though. I'll give you the fact that quarter was as good as a demon has played for many a year. But his consistency isn't there. Took him about 6-7 years to win his only B and F. Oliver got one in his second year. A worthy challenge, but I take Oliver.

Yeah he's another one people bring up often. I remember before he got hurt in his big breakout year, he got about 11 rounds in and looked sensational. Again though... He played well, but not at Oliver's level... that came after he wore the red and blue. But yes.

I think it's still the most devastated I've been post game in my life. Last year's round 23 was NOTHING compared to that 2002 game. I didn't really speak for 2 days.

Going back to original post, the comment was "In my lifetime."

For sure. I love Tyson. In a lesser side he'd be B and F material year in year out. In this midfield though...

I had a long argument this time last year with someone on here about how they said Vince sucks and should retire. There is a great deal of chagrin with him. And Lewis. Never understood either.

Fritsch is 188cm, can take a mark, and is a small forward. Hannan gets a lot of his scores off of play on. Of course he can take a grab. So can Tracca, so can Braysh. Both are considered midfielders. Hannan is no 196 Weed, or 195cm Hogan. Call them what you want, general forward, utility whatever... he's not a KP player. He's not competing with Hogan, Weed and TMac for a KP forward slot. 

Again. In my lifetime.

"Demon Andrew" was talking about "midfields", not one player in your lifetime, as per Friday4.46pm......just saying

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, willmoy said:

"Demon Andrew" was talking about "midfields", not one player in your lifetime, as per Friday4.46pm......just saying

The conversation started 5-6 pages ago, and was raised as an "in my lifetime" thread that he was responding to, saying he started following in 85. If we go back to the fifties, of course there's gonna be better midfielders. But from, say, the 80s-90s up til now we haven't ever had a genuine midfield jet. That's the point, and he was aware...

Actually I somehow missed one good post from him I'll respond to now.

• Like 2

On 10/03/2018 at 12:13 AM, DemonAndrew said:

i started really supporting the dees about 85. 86. and since then i reckon i could count the champion midfielders we've had with one hand - maybe even just two fingers, in flower and stynes, and i only saw the tail end of robbie's career

players that i thought would become 'champion' mids - i.e. constantly in discussion for all australian if not brownlow contention - but for a variety of reasons never quite did:

• travis johnstone
  • glenn lovett
  • shane woewodin
  • stephen tingay
  • todd viney
  • nathan jones

players that i think could from our current crop:

• oliver
  • petracca
  • viney
  • salem

that's what is exciting about our playing list at the moment; we have four players with elite potential

and i'd personally argue oliver is already there - clearly the best inside mid we've had in a long, long time

I like it. Stinga, Lovett in there I have very faded memories of. Viney needs more respect and Jones for obvious reasons. Lots of really great demons champions that were never AFL champions as well, like Doggy Brown, Moloney, Leoncelli. But you've hit on my overarching point there about the level of midfielder we have in the team now... Oliver's only had the one superstar season. Which puts him in the Woey, Stinga, Johnstone conversation as guys like that often had one scary year, and then fell back to the pack in subsequent years...

But yeah. I'll take Oliver ahead of every one of those names. Tracca almost there. Viney is our Lenny Hayes. Interesting you have Salem. I don't have him quite as high... but he could be our Nigel Lappin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dappa Dan said:

I like it. Stinga, Lovett in there I have very faded memories of. Viney needs more respect and Jones for obvious reasons. Lots of really great demons champions that were never AFL champions as well, like Doggy Brown, Moloney, Leoncelli. But you've hit on my overarching point there about the level of midfielder we have in the team now... Oliver's only had the one superstar season. Which puts him in the Woey, Stinga, Johnstone conversation as guys like that often had one scary year, and then fell back to the pack in subsequent years...

But yeah. I'll take Oliver ahead of every one of those names. Tracca almost there. Viney is our Lenny Hayes. Interesting you have Salem. I don't have him quite as high... but he could be our Nigel Lappin.

i think this year will the year we really see just how good salem is going to be - as far as i'm concerned he has elite traits, it's a matter of whether he can achieve them or if he becomes like glovett - a player whose injuries stop him becoming the player he should be

oliver's hands are the best i've seen since glovett

i agree that he has the capacity to be not just our best mid since i don't know when, but one of the best mids the competition has ever had

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DV8 said:

Of course he does.   Did you not read the post properly.

2018 is our year to make the finals.   No one gets games, without deserving them.

Your exact words were " We have to get games into Weideman in 2018" 

not sure how I can not understand that statement.

Just now, DemonAndrew said:

i think this year will the year we really see just how good salem is going to be - as far as i'm concerned he has elite traits, it's a matter of whether he can achieve them or if he becomes like glovett - a player whose injuries stop him becoming the player he should be

oliver's hands are the best i've seen since glovett

i agree that he has the capacity to be not just our best mid since i don't know when, but one of the best mids the competition has ever had

Yeah for sure. I noticed early last year how different we looked going inside fifty with Salem, and had assumed when we needed to score against a team flooding, he would be the guy Goody would turn to off the bench or off the backline. Vision of him jogging toward fifty and knowing if he doesn't see a good target, he can put on the jets and slot them from anywhere.

High praise for Olly. I felt the same way since about the second round last year... just trying to keep some sort of lid on it though. lol

Funny isn't it how when we got Scully, he was reputed to be like Simon Black with speed. Had the best hands ever seen blah blah blah. Wait a few years, he's elsewhere and we get a draft bolter noone knows about who has better hands, vision and just talent in general. Oh and he's a WAY better kick.

4 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

willmoy. What the hell are you talking about.

Champion Midfields. By definition more than one player. I let my dark side get the better of me.........

1 minute ago, willmoy said:

Champion Midfields. By definition more than one player. I let my dark side get the better of me.........

Lol. Happens to the best of us.

That's actually another good thread for another day when these kids are in their late twenties.

4 hours ago, old dee said:

Your exact words were " We have to get games into Weideman in 2018

not sure how I can not understand that statement.

Perception.

That's exactly what I mean. It doesn't mean 22H&A games in 2018.  You must be reading far too much, into the words you perceive.

We have to get games into him, to allow him to elevate his level of play, within a good side.

But if he is going to obviously 'stink it up', he won't be picked to play.  There's no suggestion of donations of games, for the sake of 'game numbers'.

He has to earn a spot, but I say he should be looked at favorably, when he puts his good form hand up, to play seniors.

I'm not of the opinion that we're ready to take the big one.  But we're getting better, stronger, closer. 

I don't expect Jones, Lewis or Vince, to be playing in our next Grand Final appearance.

So with that in mind we have to start to aid maturing our Next-Gen Players.

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, Ron Burgundy said:

I agree. Even though we ultimately lost the game, Travis Johnstone’s 3rd quarter against the Crows in 2002 is the best (short) period of football I have ever seen by any player. It was unbelievable. I can’t recall being more excited watching footy as I was at 3/4 time in that game. I couldn’t speak following the final siren though. Was a devastating and ultimately undeserved loss.

I too was redlining during the second and 3rd qtrs. but to say it was an undeserved loss is incorrect.
Adelaide kicked 8goals to 1 in the 1st qtr.
We reeled them back in over the next 2 qtrs.
Then they kick 6 goals to 1 in the last.
On our own dung heap it was just a typically pathetic MFC performance in the end.
I even remember the interview with TJ after the game.
A happier bloke who'd just lost a semi final you wouldn't find.
But he'd had a good couple qtrs , so he was stoked.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

I too was redlining during the second and 3rd qtrs. but to say it was an undeserved loss is incorrect.
Adelaide kicked 8goals to 1 in the 1st qtr.
We reeled them back in over the next 2 qtrs.
Then they kick 6 goals to 1 in the last.
On our own dung heap it was just a typically pathetic MFC performance in the end.
I even remember the interview with TJ after the game.
A happier bloke who'd just lost a semi final you wouldn't find.
But he'd had a good couple qtrs , so he was stoked.

Good summary. I was there. Opportunity lost.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

Him and Brayshaw could be our unknown factors that see us improve this year. Both very highly rated draft picks, both had very interrupted careers, and both guys that I think if they get a clean run at it they can be very very good players for us. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 12:01 PM, ProDee said:

Tyson's pace is virtually never an issue, he has a great sidestep, is creative, tough, is hard to bring down, is good overhead, knows how to find the footy, is valuable in rotations through the centre square, and usually a good distributor.  

You may not have him in your best 22, but I'm certain Goodwin does.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:57 AM, Wiseblood said:

I don't understand why people are so hard on Dom Tyson.

Coming off an injury, he played under 70% game time and still accumulated a raft of possies, kicked a goal and laid 8 tackles.  I know his kicking can be a little suspect, but he was crucial for us last night, especially in the first half.

If you don't think he's in our best 22 then you've got rocks in your head.

On 3/9/2018 at 12:45 PM, binman said:

100% agrre. I understand  the knocks on his disposal but he is a definite best 22 lock in this side.

It is a discussion point as to whether people believe he should a lock or not but i j have no doubt at all that Goodwin has him as a lock. And for what its worth i agree with Goody (who i guess knows a thing or two about football).

His ability to win contested ball and clear congestion is critical for us. He is a big strong mid, a type that goody and Roos before him favour (look at Oliver 6'2 in the old, Maynard is big, Hogan when he;s there, trac, viney is a bull - even salem is a stocky little bugger)'.

And whilst his disposal can be iffy it can also be excellent. I love the the penetration he can get of one step and he has good hands in traffic. I also like he has an eye for a goal

On 3/9/2018 at 1:03 PM, Wrecker45 said:

Tyson would be close to the most nimble and agile player in congestion we have, Oliver excluded.

He is tough as nails, his kicking is penetrating and he keeps getting the footy.

He is not just best 22 at Melbourne he would be at any other club in the league as well.

Sometimes this stuff is enjoyable to bring up. 

38 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Sometimes this stuff is enjoyable to bring up. 

STMJ you're a [censored]. If you think Wagner is a better player than Tyson you're kidding yourself. He is a spud and will cost u the game on Sunday.

On 3/12/2018 at 5:38 AM, bingers said:

Good summary. I was there. Opportunity lost.

You're not the smartest tool in the shed.

Post match he was interviewed by Matt Burgan and admitted selection would be based upon whether he had enough match fitness from the sports science guys.  Clearly Tyson has missed selection based upon not being quite cherry ripe (notwithstanding a good showing for Casey the following week).

In round 1 you pick the fittest squad you can.

He's best 22 and will be selected sooner rather than later.

I'm glad you've bumped this thread and can assure you you'll be hoisted by your own petard.

Edited by ProDee

40 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Cool mate, go and email Goody.

No point of that. Doubt that bloke listens to anyone.

Looking forward to Wagner turning it over in the first quarter to gift Geelong a goal. 

Do you honestly believe he is any good? I have him in the bottom 10 on our list.