Player golf scores

Demons1858

It’s been a mixed season so far. Funnily enough we are in exactly the same position to last season - placed 9th on the ladder with 5 wins and losses and a similar percentage.

Surprisingly we are also only 1 win away from 4th place such is the closeness of the comp. Finals?

We finished last season 5 and 7 and looked tired. Reversing that and finishing 7 and 5 would give us 12 wins similar to North finishing 8th last season ahead of St.Kilda on %. 8 wins would likely get you a spot in the 8 further up the ladder.

While we need some luck, we also need to improve our own team’s performance and that of individual players. So … who do we need to lift. Golf scores below.

While injury to key players have played their part, it highlights to me that not enough existing young talent have stepped up this season and if not for the recruitment of Hibberd, Lewis and Hannan we may well be out of finals contention. The positive is we have the 2nd half of the season to grow across the playing list and embed our game plan for an assault on the finals.

Mids, Wings,

Quarter backs

Golf score

Defenders

Golf score

Forwards

Golf score

D. Tyson

+1

J. Hunt

J. Garlett

J. Viney

+1

S. Frost

J. Watts

par

N. Jones

par

N. Jetta

par

M. Hannan*

B. Vince

par

M. Hibberd*

J. Harmes

+1

J. Lewis*

O. McDonald

par

ANB

par

C. Pedersen

T. McDonald 

+1

C. Petracca

C. Oliver

J. Melksham

+1

S Weideman

+1

J. Spencer

Par

C. Salem

par

D, Kent

+1

A. Brayshaw

missing

J. Wagner

par

J. Hogan

missing

M. Gawn

missing

T. Bugg

par

JKH

+1

Edited by Demons1858

5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Shouldn't the players who have been good be under par, and the ones who haven't played well be below par?  Or am I missing something?

Thanks, I've edited it. Truth is I don't play much golf but thought it might be a simple way to assess where the players are at

2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Shouldn't the players who have been good be under par, and the ones who haven't played well be below par?  Or am I missing something?

No Wise, cause those are the players' that are going to miss the cut at the end of the year!

Now that I realize the o/p is not telling us how well they play golf,,,, 

..you rated Oscars season better than TMacs so far?!?   Surely TMac's okay, Oscar's +2, plus weid and JKH would each be +3 or worse. 

Edited by Rob Mac......
o/p instead of you

The problem with your scoring method is that you are comparing players with expectations not output.

Surely Oliver is 8 under, OMac4 over for example. You have 3 strokes difference between best and worst, that's not golf. Viney & Weideman on the same score? Really

• Like 1

My knowledge of golf starts and ends with Everybody's Golf on PlayStation, which is a fantastic series and one I highly recommend. 

But anyway, good work OP (I think).

Imo, the golf score should be measured against preseason expectation. 

For example the OP has Lewis -1 whereas I'd have him at +1.

He's been sloppy by foot and missed 3 games with suspension.

He's been below my expectation, not above.

This is assuming the OP understands that -1, i.e. a birdie is better than +1 (bogey).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProDee said:

Imo, the golf score should be measured against preseason expectation. 

For example the OP has Lewis -1 whereas I'd have him at +1.

He's been sloppy by foot and missed 3 games with suspension.

He's been below my expectation, not above.

This is assuming the OP understands that -1, i.e. a birdie is better than +1 (bogey).

Yep, it's a strange OP for me. I don't want to sound like a [censored], but I wouldn't have used the framework of golf if I wasn't that familiar with the scoring that underpins my entire point.

I read this thread before the edit and it made no sense. Given the edit, I'd say Clarry should be about -5 or -6 and way out ahead on the leaderboard.

I'd agree that Lewis should be at +1, perhaps even +2. I'd have Salem at -1, ANB (who I don't particularly rate, but has exceeded expectation) I'd have at -2, I'd have Bernie on +2 too, but that's just me I suspect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A F said:

Yep, it's a strange OP for me. I don't want to sound like a [censored], but I wouldn't have used the framework of golf if I wasn't that familiar with the scoring that underpins my entire point.

I read this thread before the edit and it made no sense. Given the edit, I'd say Clarry should be about -5 or -6 and way out ahead on the leaderboard.

I'd agree that Lewis should be at +1, perhaps even +2. I'd have Salem at -1, ANB (who I don't particularly rate, but has exceeded expectation) I'd have at -2, I'd have Bernie on +2 too, but that's just me I suspect.

Yep points for trying a different lens for the review to the season thus far. But not sure it works. But applying the golf analogy to the team as whole how about:

The season represents a major golf tournament (Demons1858, a professional golf tournament involves four rounds of golf, with the lowest score winning). Perhaps the US Open, which is arguably the most difficult to win because they make the course super hard, for example by letting the the rough grow really long, making the fairways super narrow and choosing ridiculously tough courses.

The winning score of this tournament will be 4 under par (-4). Remember it is a tough tournament to win.

After two rounds, the halfway mark, one third of the field is cut. In our tournament that means one third of the teams are cut as they cannot make the finals. Four over is the cut mark. The dees have made the cut.

At this stage of the tournament the Crows lead at 4 under and are deserved favorites.  GWS are second at 3 under and a group of other teams are at 1 under. The Lions have been cut with a score of 9 over. The teams 1 under or better are in good positions to finish top 8.

The demons are at 1 over, five from the lead and unlikely to win the title. The last rounds are always harder and will be for us. Pin positions are trickier and the pressure builds.

Though crazy things can happen. Last year the tournament was won at 4 under by a team that came from even with the card after two rounds, so it can be done.

We have had some good holes but missed a couple of short putts we should have made, put a couple of balls in the deep rough and missed a couple of opportunities to take advantage of good drives. We have left at least 2 or 3 shots out there.

We have been inconsistent and at times our aggression has meant we have found ourselves in the rough. On some of those occasions we have down well to get out of trouble and save par.  We have a good caddy. Our statistics show we are doing most things well but still miss too many targets to really be pushing for a win. 

But still, we are some chance of making the top 8, which was our pre tournament goal. We will need to get to 1 under to finish the tournament in the top 8. To do that we will need to make all those short putts and stay out of the rough.

If we do finish top 8 we will be well positioned for the next 2 or 3 majors to come out on top. 

Here is a better review, form our caddy:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-06-01/goodwin-eager-for-second-half-of-season

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, binman said:

Yep points for trying a different lens for the review to the season thus far. But not sure it works. But applying the golf analogy to the team as whole how about:

The season represents a major golf tournament (Demons1858, a professional golf tournament involves four rounds of golf, with the lowest score winning). Perhaps the US Open, which is arguably the most difficult to win because they make the course super hard, for example by letting the the rough grow really long, making the fairways super narrow and choosing ridiculously tough courses.

The winning score of this tournament will be 4 under par (-4). Remember it is a tough tournament to win.

After two rounds, the halfway mark, one third of the field is cut. In our tournament that means one third of the teams are cut as they cannot make the finals. Four over is the cut mark. The dees have made the cut.

At this stage of the tournament the Crows lead at 4 under and are deserved favorites.  GWS are second at 3 under and a group of other teams are at 1 under. The Lions have been cut with a score of 9 over. The teams one under or better are in good positions to finish top 8.

The demons are at 1 over, five from the lead and unlikely to win the title. The last rounds are always harder and will be for us. Pin positions are trickier and the pressure builds.

Though crazy things can happen. Last year the tournament was won at 4 under by a team that came from even with the card so it can be done.

We have had some good holes but missed a couple of short putts we should have made, put a couple of balls in the deep rough and missed a couple of opportunities to take advantage of good drives. We have left at least 2 or 3 shots out there.

We have been inconsistent and at times our aggression has meant we have found ourselves in the rough. On some of those occasions we have down well to get out of trouble and save par.  We have a good caddy. Our statistic show we are doing most things well but still miss too many targets to really be pushing for a win. 

But still we are some chance of making the top 8, which was our pre tournament goal. We will need to get to 1 under to finish the tournament in the top 8. To do that we will need to make all those short putts and stay out of the rough.

If we do finish top 8 we will be well positioned for the next 2 or 3 majors to come out on top. 

Here is a better review, form our caddy:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-06-01/goodwin-eager-for-second-half-of-season

Haha, nice.