2016 Player Review - # 12 Dom Tyson

Demonland

After a frustrating and inconsistent 2015, Tyson returned to the form he showed he was capable of in his first season with the club and added quality to the Demon midfield. As an added bonus, his contract was recently extended.

Games MFC 2016 21

Career Total 71 (58 MFC)

Goals MFC 2016 11

Career Total 37 (33 MFC)

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 357 votes (Fourth club champion Ivor Warne Smith Memorial Trophy)

Brownlow Medal 6 votes

With all the talk about Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Bradshaw, this young man is sometimes forgotten. But he seems to go about his game in a rather unobtrusive yet very effective way. He is part of the solid structure upon which this club will build ( we hope) a very successful future.

• Like 4

After a mediocre 2015 and slow start to this season, there were some doubts over whether his debut year was a flash in the pan. Fortunately, he ended up matching that season if not bettering it, especially with some superb form in the back half of the year.

Will be 24 next year and itching closer to 100 games. Freshly re-signed, he should be aiming for AA honours before his next contract is up.

• Like 1

Lot of love for Dom and well deserved, is very good MFC player who has bought in. Would like to see stats included in each players Review. Go Dee's!!!

Was no doubt playing injured in 2015; multiple times I saw him clutching at his knee/leg during matches.

It's worth remembering we did pay a big price to get him and he hasn't let us down.  An exciting few years ahead for Dom.

• Like 2

Gun mid with a good length kick. Adds something different to our midfield mix. Agree with posters above who say he could be in line for the 2017 B&F.  

Love his hands, and I Expect him to develop into a Josh Kennedy type, as he gets harder with some more grunt as he matures.

Just happened to watch the GWS first game of year and in 2nd quarter or maybe 3rd, Don had about 5 possies and every one went to GWS. 

This is a weakness that he needs to improve, as it created scores for the opposition and we all know that turnovers are poison in AFL footy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Just happened to watch the GWS first game of year and in 2nd quarter or maybe 3rd, Don had about 5 possies and every one went to GWS. 

This is a weakness that he needs to improve, as it created scores for the opposition and we all know that turnovers are poison in AFL footy. 

I think he improved this throughout the back half of the year. Was a lot cleaner with execution, hardly got caught and seemed to have a bit more acceleration out of the stoppage. Curious to see how much further he can develop.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

That's too small a sample size and probably the worst Dom has ever played at AFL level. Some (including myself, I think) got caught up in the emotion and suggested he be dropped after that performance.

Looking at the larger sample size, he's not a brilliant kick but it's good enough for the role he plays. He can kick up to 60m too. His hands are very good.

His finish to the year was definitely the best form i've seen from Dom, i thought he was definitely best on ground in a couple of games. 

goal kicking midfielders are like gold in modern footy and Dom is a very important link in the chain for us, another full pre season and i expect him to take another step and be in the mix for All Australian in 2017.

On Thursday, October 06, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Demon Jack said:

About to enter the prime of his career. My early tip for the 2017 Best & Fairest.

Prime is generally 27-28. If he keeps getting better he'll be an absolute star by then.

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Not disagreeing boys, I just recall that I often see him being the cause of a turnover.

A couple of our worst will no longer be with us.

Jones turns it over a bit, too. His delivery isn't great sometimes but he'll get better. Hoping he turns into our Hodge.

Mods: please merge my last two posts. Sorry for the double-up.