Caleb Marchbank

stuie

He will be a good player for whoever gets him. But with Melksham debuting and maybe Hibberd coming in, the maturity of OMac and others, he will be an expensive luxury for us. He will be a starting defender, not spare parts and priced accordingly.

Edited by america de cali

On 9/2/2016 at 2:40 PM, stevethemanjordan said:

<post deleted>

Marchbank got roasted by Hogan in round 23 last year and again when Davis went off in round 1 this year and his kicking hasn't looked all the great to me. He's shorted than ideal although has good athleticism, and he was drafted higher than expected due to GWS having the luxury of 3 top 10 picks that year (and every year). I think his draft position impacts his value and if he was taken at the start of the 2nd round then combined with the injuries he wouldn't be rated as highly.

I'd have him over Oscar but I'm not convinced there's all that much difference, I think they've both got similar pros and cons. Good athletes, good marks, not amazing physically at this stage which is to be expected.

I woudn't risk dealing our 2017 first rounder on him given that could be pick 5-8 and without involving that we don't have the currency. 

I'd be training/playing Hulett as a key defender next year and seeing if he could be a similar player and/or picking up a tall back in the 3rd or 4th round this year. Hard to find ones with elite footskills or intercept marking (and nearly impossible to find ones with both) but a decent prospect should be available. 

Edited by Nasher
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, stuie said:

Probably true... However, with all the good currency going towards some of the bigger names, and with us having a good trade relationship with GWS, we could be a chance? Future second rounder and a player maybe?

I keep reading this, but am yet to see any evidence of how and why this is the case. Yes, we have managed to get a few deals across the line with them, but they've played hard ball on all of them.

GWS will do whatever is best for GWS, as I would hope Melbourne will do whatever is best for Melbourne.

13 minutes ago, poita said:

I keep reading this, but am yet to see any evidence of how and why this is the case. Yes, we have managed to get a few deals across the line with them, but they've played hard ball on all of them.

GWS will do whatever is best for GWS, as I would hope Melbourne will do whatever is best for Melbourne.

Pick 7 and Tom Bugg for pick 10 and two late picks. Just ponder that for a second. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Carlton supporters have been saying for some time that both Marchbank and Tomlinson were signed, sealed and delivered.

Sounds like they had some inside information.

Carlton supporters.. also claimed they had Roos signed, sealed and delivered 4 years ago :roos:

2 hours ago, ENYAW said:

Is this tread a sub ser of who are the demons chasing for 2017. Caleb Marchbank would be good,someone else could play as ruck/rover.We cannot let our opposition get every decent player that is available.

Translation required please ENYAW.

Moonshadow, the tigers are getting Prestia,some other side is getting O'Meara and so on……. The Dees should be able to pick up another decent young GWS or GC player as donbe in past years i.e FROST,TYSON and BUGG. If we could pick up Caleb that would be good,he could hold down a ruck/rover,mid,defence or forward position.Lets get back on the gravy train.

7 minutes ago, ENYAW said:

Moonshadow, the tigers are getting Prestia,some other side is getting O'Meara and so on……. The Dees should be able to pick up another decent young GWS or GC player as donbe in past years i.e FROST,TYSON and BUGG. If we could pick up Caleb that would be good,he could hold down a ruck/rover,mid,defence or forward position.Lets get back on the gravy train.

Word on the Streets is he will be a Blue.

38 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

According to Jake Niall Marchbank met with the pies today with essendon and Carlton to follow soon.

Don't think we are in the hunt for him at all which is disappointing.

It's a real shame, because he's a quality young player, did you have much to do with him at the Bushies Dazzle?

1 hour ago, SaberFang said:

You know, Collingwood don't have a first round pick this year either but they certainly aren't having issues getting players through the door and making a play for them.

Well, let's wait and see, Saber. You're very right in saying they don't have a first rounder this year. Given their okay midfield, they'll want to spend a few first rounders on their midfield. Then again, maybe they can continue to get little traitors from the northern clubs to nominate them.

Marchbank has officially requested a trade to Carlton.

On another note, is anyone else totally sick of these 22 and under years old players demanding trades to specific clubs? What a farce. What's the point in free agency when this is continually allowed to happen? Restraint of trade IMO.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DubDee said:

free agency is pointless aside from screwing lower clubs out of  a decent trade.  any good player can move where they want, when they want

and why the f-ck would he want to go to carlton?

Short memory. They pumped us in round 22. And unless you've been living under a rock, GWS are flag favourites and Carlton are the lowly club.

Carlton have been into Marchbank for some time, so it's no surprise. 

The day we become a destination club, nobody here will be complaining when good players nominate us. Until that day arrives, suck it up, because the trading landscape has changed.

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

Short memory. They pumped us in round 22. And unless you've been living under a rock, GWS are flag favourites and Carlton are the lowly club.

The day we become a destination club, nobody here will be complaining when good players nominate us. Until that day arrives, suck it up, because the trading landscape has changed.

The question is, why aren't we a destination club when seemingly Richmond, Collingwood and Carlton are?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

Marchbank has officially requested a trade to Carlton.

On another note, is anyone else totally sick of these 22 and under years old players demanding trades to specific clubs? What a farce. What's the point in free agency when this is continually allowed to happen? Restraint of trade IMO.

'stuie', I think it's time for clubs to have the right to trade players to get the best deal for the club.

The players want a cut of the pie, well they will need to give up some of their current rights to get it.

• Like 3

Just now, stuie said:

The question is, why aren't we a destination club when seemingly Richmond, Collingwood and Carlton are?

The strange thing about Richmond is that they weren't able to attract a decent player when they were playing finals. After one crap year, they've been able to attract Prestia.

I don't see Carlton as a destination club just yet. SOS' GWS connections has attracted some players who aren't in their best 22.

As for Collingwood, they must be selling big crowds and opportunities outside of football (media).

As for Melbourne, maybe opposition players aren't as buoyant of our pospects as our supporters. It's our 3rd consecutive rebuild, so the jury is still out about the club.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mo64 said:

The strange thing about Richmond is that they weren't able to attract a decent player when they were playing finals. After one crap year, they've been able to attract Prestia.

I don't see Carlton as a destination club just yet. SOS' GWS connections has attracted some players who aren't in their best 22.

As for Collingwood, they must be selling big crowds and opportunities outside of football (media).

As for Melbourne, maybe opposition players aren't as buoyant of our pospects as our supporters. It's our 3rd consecutive rebuild, so the jury is still out about the club.

Agree with all of this.  Summed it up well.

The other aspect is that we've seen players nominate other clubs, but were we interested in them in the first place?  Prestia maybe, but I haven't seen anywhere that we were interested in Marchbank, O'Meara etc.

It also looks like Hibberd will nominate us as his club of choice, but we won't be complaining about that (and yes, Stuie, I know you mentioned players 22 and under which Hibberd is not, but you get my point all the same.)

• Like 2

Or maybe we're just not chasing these players as hard as other clubs are.

And it seems silly to bemoan players not asking to be traded to Melbourne when we've seen Lumumba, Melksham and now seemingly Hibberd ask to be traded to Melbourne in the last few years. They're not under 22 but they're clearly the players we have had discussions with. We've also seen Vince, Frost and Tyson traded in.

We can't be involved in every trade. If the MFC is not mentioned in certain trades, I take that to mean that Mahoney and team have identified other priorities. We seem to get the players we chase, there is no evidence that we are being snubbed.

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Short memory indeed. Carlton have one of the worst lists in the league. He's going there because he'll be guaranteed game time and SOS likes to chase a bunch of those guys he already has relationships with due to drafting them.