• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Elite Status

H_T

You've been made coach of a new start up team playing in today,s competition. Your brief is to win from day one. Stuff any future development.  

Who would be your first 5 selections?

Would/could they be classified as "elite".

For the sake of the exercise I'd select:

Dangerfield, Selwood, Franklin (all elIte) Gawn and Kennedy from WC (not elite)

5 minutes ago, Spirit of 26 said:

You've been made coach of a new start up team playing in today,s competition. Your brief is to win from day one. Stuff any future development.  

Like it.

Dangerfield, Franklin, Fyfe, Goldstein (he's just a shade ahead of Gawn at this stage IMO) and Bontempelli.

All elite, with the possible exception of Bontempelli, who would at least be on the border of that hazy definition.

Edited by Django
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Django said:

Like it.

Dangerfield, Franklin, Fyfe, Goldstein (he's just a shade ahead of Gawn at this stage IMO) and Bontempelli.

All elite, with the possible exception of Bontempelli, who would at least be on the border of that hazy definition.

Yes They're the players we don't have & haven't for a long time.

11 minutes ago, Spirit of 26 said:

Dangerfield, Fyfe, Franklin, Rance, Goldy. All elite in their position and thats as good of a backbone as you're gonna get. Could argue having Kennedy as a second forward and forgo the ruckman. Future development would change thing, maybe look at Gawn and T Lynch (GC) instead of Goldy and Franklin.

31 minutes ago, hoon1 said:

I would add cooney to the list of Brownlow winners that I don't see as elite, good player but not in the same elite bracket as Judd Ablett Goodes etc

Yep, that's a fair call. So in the 24 of the 28 years an elite player has won the brownlow. Pretty good measure then i would say

1 hour ago, Django said:

Kicking left a bit to be desired, especially for Judd.. But definitely handballing was elite for both. I actually think Viney's kicking skills are judged harshly, and people put too much weight on when he boots the ball away from a stoppage at all costs.

I made the comment about Viney, and I actually think his kicking is fine. It's his handballing in tight situations that I question. Elite clearance players like Mitchell, Ablett, Fyfe, Selwood and Dangerfield are able to make impactful plays by either kicking, handballing or bursting out of play. Viney is elite in ball-winning, but isn't elite in his impact like the others.

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Harsh but fair. He was just below the elite in those positions

told me himself that he played a shocker in the 2000 GF

That's the day to shine

That's interesting. I'm pretty sure he's listed in the best for the 2000 GF. Kicked 2.3 including two bad misses in the first quarter. Was killing Fletcher early but wasn't making him pay because he missed those two shots.

Would've been quite a good game had he:

1) kicked straight 

2) knocked someone's head off

1 minute ago, Ricky P said:

That's interesting. I'm pretty sure he's listed in the best for the 2000 GF. Kicked 2.3 including two bad misses in the first quarter. Was killing Fletcher early but wasn't making him pay because he missed those two shots.

Would've been quite a good game had he:

1) kicked straight 

2) knocked someone's head off

Yep that was what he alluded to if he had his time over again

That first shot from the pocket was the critical one

5 hours ago, binman said:

Er.... you disagree but you give examples in which you agree?

I'd add Cooney, Platten, Crawf and Couch to your list, maybe Aker too. Many non MFC footy fans would argue Jimmy was not elite. Probably right.

As I said, a Brownlow in no way guarantees elite status.

edit. I would define elite as refering to their career. Otherwise it's cherry picking.

Edited by Moonshadow

N.jones B,  A good club man,when he gets beaten the team rarely wins. Vince B+ a better competitor than Nat but goes missing. Watts C+ best year to date,still owes the club heaps.Gawn B+ very good year,would be better if our small made most of his ruckwork. T.Mac B inconsistent but can be much better. Petracca B will get better, Oliver B will get better,Brayshaw C+ has not done anything so far this year due to injury. Rest to review soon.

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Er.... you disagree but you give examples in which you agree?

I'd add Cooney, Platten, Crawf and Couch to your list, maybe Aker too. Many non MFC footy fans would argue Jimmy was not elite. Probably right.

As I said, a Brownlow in no way guarantees elite status.

edit. I would define elite as refering to their career. Otherwise it's cherry picking.

You're kidding right. I'll give you cooney, though in the season he won it he was a short priced favourite and had a brilliant year and i have no doubt would have been elite if not for chronic knee problems. Platten, Crawf, Stynes, Couch and  Aker all most definitiley elite players. Some consider Platten one of the best players to come out of SA for petes'  sakes. Stynes not elite? You can't be serious. 

As i said 24 of the 28 years an elite player has won the Brownlow. Pretty good measure and one that refutes your claim the Bronwlow is not a good indicator of elite status. But i just chose the last 28 years. Here is the next 28 years.

1959 Verdun Howelldagger St Kilda 20
Bob Skilton South Melbourne 20
1960 John Schultz Footscray 20
1961 John James Carlton 21
1962 Alistair Lord Geelong 28
1963 Bob Skilton South Melbourne 20
1964 Gordon Collis Carlton 27
1965 Noel Teasdaledagger North Melbourne 20
Ian Stewart St Kilda 20
1966 Ian Stewart St Kilda 21
1967 Ross Smith St Kilda 24
1968 Bob Skilton South Melbourne 24
1969 Kevin Murray Fitzroy 19
1970 Peter Bedford South Melbourne 25
1971 Ian Stewart Richmond 21
1972 Len Thompson Collingwood 25
1973 Keith Greig North Melbourne 27
1974 Keith Greig North Melbourne 27
1975 Gary Dempsey Footscray 20
1976 Graham Moss Essendon 48double-dagger
1977 Graham Teasdale South Melbourne 59double-dagger
1978 Malcolm Blight North Melbourne 22
1979 Peter Moore Collingwood 22
1980 Kelvin Templeton Footscray 23
1981 Bernie Quinlan Fitzroy 22
Barry Round South Melbourne 22
1982 Brian Wilson Melbourne 23
1983 Ross Glendinning North Melbourne 24
1984 Peter Moore Melbourne 24
1985 Brad Hardie Footscray 22
1986 Robert DiPierdomenico Hawthorn 17
Greg Williams Sydney 17

Perhaps 4-5 of that list might not have been considered elite. That leaves 23 who were. So in the last 56 years the winner of the brownlow was elite player 46-47 times. And you argue its not a good indicator of elite status. Sheesh.

Edited by binman

Just on Platten.

He made AA 5 times, won a Bronlow, a Magarey, played in four VFL/AFL premierships, kicked 228 goals in 258 games,  won 2 best and fairests at both Hawthorn and Central Districts and is in both the SANFL and AFL Hall of Fame and you don't consider him elite? 

All i can say is you must have a pretty high bar for elite.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, binman said:

Just on Platten.

He made AA 5 times, won a Bronlow, a Magarey, played in four VFL/AFL premierships, kicked 228 goals in 258 games,  won 2 best and fairests at both Hawthorn and Central Districts and is in both the SANFL and AFL Hall of Fame and you don't consider him elite? 

All i can say is you must have a pretty high bar for elite.

Platten was amazing. Considering he got smashed weekly

did he ever play a bad game? Some a little quieter than others but he was always close to the ball

Drove me insane!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, binman said:

You're kidding right. I'll give you cooney, though in the season he won it he was a short priced favourite and had a brilliant year and i have no doubt would have been elite if not for chronic knee problems. Platten, Crawf, Stynes, Couch and  Aker all most definitiley elite players. Some consider Platten one of the best players to come out of SA for petes'  sakes. Stynes not elite? You can't be serious. 

As i said 24 of the 28 years an elite player has won the Brownlow. Pretty good measure and one that refutes your claim the Bronwlow is not a good indicator of elite status. But i just chose the last 28 years. Here is the next 28 years.

1959 Verdun Howelldagger St Kilda 20
Bob Skilton South Melbourne 20
1960 John Schultz Footscray 20
1961 John James Carlton 21
1962 Alistair Lord Geelong 28
1963 Bob Skilton South Melbourne 20
1964 Gordon Collis Carlton 27
1965 Noel Teasdaledagger North Melbourne 20
Ian Stewart St Kilda 20
1966 Ian Stewart St Kilda 21
1967 Ross Smith St Kilda 24
1968 Bob Skilton South Melbourne 24
1969 Kevin Murray Fitzroy 19
1970 Peter Bedford South Melbourne 25
1971 Ian Stewart Richmond 21
1972 Len Thompson Collingwood 25
1973 Keith Greig North Melbourne 27
1974 Keith Greig North Melbourne 27
1975 Gary Dempsey Footscray 20
1976 Graham Moss Essendon 48double-dagger
1977 Graham Teasdale South Melbourne 59double-dagger
1978 Malcolm Blight North Melbourne 22
1979 Peter Moore Collingwood 22
1980 Kelvin Templeton Footscray 23
1981 Bernie Quinlan Fitzroy 22
Barry Round South Melbourne 22
1982 Brian Wilson Melbourne 23
1983 Ross Glendinning North Melbourne 24
1984 Peter Moore Melbourne 24
1985 Brad Hardie Footscray 22
1986 Robert DiPierdomenico Hawthorn 17
Greg Williams Sydney 17

Perhaps 4-5 of that list might not have been considered elite. That leaves 23 who were. So in the last 56 years the winner of the brownlow was elite player 46-47 times. And you argue its not a good indicator of elite status. Sheesh.

Try not to put words into my mouth binman. I said a Brownlow does not guarantee elite status.

I do not think the umpires are the best people to judge the best player in any one year. From your first list, I count about 8 out of 30 players that I would not consider elite. Given this is Demonland, of course few here would say Jimmy was not elite. I've seen all of them play quite a bit. But that's simply my opinion, just as you consider 24 of 28 to be elite, your opinion, but not fact. I'm not using just one year in a player's career, or injury as an excuse, or going way back to 1959.

Plus your numbers do not add up. I think you might've counted medals rather than medalists. 

Regardless, I'll agree to disagree.

7 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Try not to put words into my mouth binman. I said a Brownlow does not guarantee elite status.

I do not think the umpires are the best people to judge the best player in any one year. From your first list, I count about 8 out of 30 players that I would not consider elite. Given this is Demonland, of course few here would say Jimmy was not elite. I've seen all of them play quite a bit. But that's simply my opinion, just as you consider 24 of 28 to be elite, your opinion, but not fact. I'm not using just one year in a player's career, or injury as an excuse, or going way back to 1959.

Plus your numbers do not add up. I think you might've counted medals rather than medalists. 

Regardless, I'll agree to disagree.

Yep fair enough - a brownlow does not 'guarantee' elite status. I took your comments a little less literally. 

I agree umpires are not the best people to judge the best player in any one year. However looking at the list of Brownlow winners the majority are elite so i think it reasonable to say that at the very least winning the Charlie is a good indicator of where a player sits in terms of his ranking as a player. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, binman said:

Yep fair enough - a brownlow does not 'guarantee' elite status. I took your comments a little less literally. 

I agree umpires are not the best people to judge the best player in any one year. However looking at the list of Brownlow winners the majority are elite so i think it reasonable to say that at the very least winning the Charlie is a good indicator of where a player sits in terms of his ranking as a player. 

Agreed.

I'll go further and claim there are more elite players that have not won a Brownlow than those who have. Eg, Lethal, Robbie, GA Snr, Roos, Dunstall, SOS, Carey, and so on. 

Here's to Jobe Watson being removed from your list in the near future :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Agreed.

I'll go further and claim there are more elite players that have not won a Brownlow than those who have. Eg, Lethal, Robbie, GA Snr, Roos, Dunstall, SOS, Carey, and so on. 

Here's to Jobe Watson being removed from your list in the near future :)

SO getting back to my earlier OP, would the MVP (AFL) be a more recognisable trigger of recognition for elite status...than say the Brownlow? 

Then there's the coaches votes each week too. Should more emphasis be put on this in terms of measuring the elite? (Granted in season) 

I recognise the sample size for an elite player may need to be greater than just one season. 

27 minutes ago, H_T said:

SO getting back to my earlier OP, would the MVP (AFL) be a more recognisable trigger of recognition for elite status...than say the Brownlow? 

Then there's the coaches votes each week too. Should more emphasis be put on this in terms of measuring the elite? (Granted in season) 

I recognise the sample size for an elite player may need to be greater than just one season. 

MVP is probably the same as the brownlow. I think elite is when you are among the best at what you do. The best defenders are elite but none of them are going to be voted in as MVP or win many awards. I also think that you dont have to be the best to be Elite, you need to be in the top few. 

As for sample size, personaly i think if you are playing to an elite level over any resonable period of time that puts you in the elite bracket, you do it repeatedly over a number of years and you lock yourself there for the remainder of your career. So Gawn is an Elite ruckman right now, but will have to maintain his form for years to come to be remembered as elite player at the end of his career. 

1 hour ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

I think elite is when you are among the best at what you do. The best defenders are elite but none of them are going to be voted in as MVP or win many awards. I also think that you dont have to be the best to be Elite, you need to be in the top few. 

As for sample size, personaly i think if you are playing to an elite level over any resonable period of time that puts you in the elite bracket, you do it repeatedly over a number of years and you lock yourself there for the remainder of your career. So Gawn is an Elite ruckman right now, but will have to maintain his form for years to come to be remembered as elite player at the end of his career. 

Unless you're in contention for the 'golden fist' award... 

Agree entirely with the rest of your post. Reasonable period of time at an elite level puts you in the elite bracket.

What about class factor?

Some here would suggest Jones is elite given he's performed very well for a number of seasons in a row (couple of B&F's). But is he considered in the top few? I think that point is debatable. I think Jones has his faults sometimes (ie. handballing to a teammate directly under the pump).

He's certainly in the top few players at Melbourne right now IMO in terms of consistency etc, but he would struggle to break into the top 25 or even 50 players in the AFL depending who you're talking to. 

With that I think a class factor is a component of elite status in many peoples views. Not so much the 'blue collar worker' component - of which I love and admire mind you. Because that in itself is regarded by many as the heartbeat, the essence of a teams work ethic leadership.

Elite....how about we try just turning up every week to play.

As for the lists that rate our players by giving them gradings, A grade players or guns of the competition are players like Danger, Ablett, Hodge and Betts. We have some players who have come a long way but they're not there yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H_T said:

Unless you're in contention for the 'golden fist' award... 

Agree entirely with the rest of your post. Reasonable period of time at an elite level puts you in the elite bracket.

What about class factor?

Some here would suggest Jones is elite given he's performed very well for a number of seasons in a row (couple of B&F's). But is he considered in the top few? I think that point is debatable. I think Jones has his faults sometimes (ie. handballing to a teammate directly under the pump).

He's certainly in the top few players at Melbourne right now IMO in terms of consistency etc, but he would struggle to break into the top 25 or even 50 players in the AFL depending who you're talking to. 

With that I think a class factor is a component of elite status in many peoples views. Not so much the 'blue collar worker' component - of which I love and admire mind you. Because that in itself is regarded by many as the heartbeat, the essence of a teams work ethic leadership.

oh haha of course how could i forget the golden fist!

I dont think Jones is elite. He won B&Fs in a side where he was 1 of about 5 players at AFL standard which is unfortunate because the wins will never be as highly rated as he deserves. He is a compeditor and little more. His ability to will himself to win every contest makes him better than what I thought his raw talent would allow. But he doesnt have any weapons to call himself elite. Gawn is elite because his tapwork sets him appart then he just does a good job around the ground. Except the QB game where I think his tapwork was elite then he followed up being one of our best rovers!

Class is so hard to tie directly to elite. Dane swan was widely refered to as elite but he doesnt have much class, as blue collar as they come. Rance too, he is an elite defender but no real 'class' they just do the job very well. Then you look at a Fyfe, Selwood, Dangerfield or Ablett who all have both blue collar and class then look at someone like a Pendlebury or a Mitchell who I think are just pure class. Yes they are hard enough to go in when required but they are there for other reasons. Then look at a Burgoyne he is super classy but i dont really think he is elite.

Impossible to tell who is and isnt based on any criteria... its just a feeling, understanding of the game and where players sit and even then the biggest experts are going to disagree on a few. 

• Like 2

Reviewing rest of team Bugg B,Kennedy C+ need to be consistent,Garland C struggles at reseve level,Dunn C,Hunt B could improve,Harmes B could improve,Wagner B ? on how far can he go. Trengove C a bit slow may improve. Vander C+  injuries are hindering his progress, Dawes B slow down,O'Mac C will get better,Frost C should get better, Lumumba C slowing down,Garlett C+ doesn't care for reseve footy, Minchie C- revolving door stock,Newton C- same as Minchie,ANB C possibly better than Minchie,Terlich C- trained the house down,not in Roos favour. Hogan B+ will get better.Tyson B does not do enough. M.Jones near end of his career. Jetta B serviceable. Salem B illness has caused set backs. Footy players who win a brownlow you would expect to be elite,however Woewodin and Brian Wilson quickly  became obsolete,it only seems to happen at Melbourne.