POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 7

Demonland

An extraordinary 73-point win for Melbourne considering the accuracy of the Suns in front of goal and our inability to put them away while domination possession early in the piece. At half time we led the inside 50 count 34-17 but were only  5 points in front while at the end of the game it was 75-35. We obviously were able to do things after half time to get us going that we couldn't last week.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jaded said:

So I'm currently in the middle of the Baltic sea. It took me 45 minutes and $200 to find a viable internet connection, and all I can say is WTF?!

24 goals? Who are we? What has happened to Melbourne? Are GC just crap?

Gawn from what I can tell reading the play on the AFL app, seemed to be involved in everything!

Agree Jaded. Just hit London this time last night. Only managed the first half score before finally getting a UK sim for the web and saw the end result. Was like seeing 2 different teams. At half time I thought 50/50 coin flip but was thrilled to finally see a break out 2nd half result for a change.

Still, want to see at least 3 or more in a row to believe we've finally turned the consistency/decent team corner who can challenge  most teams outside of the top 6 on our day.

The highlights were super though ...apart from Garland's first quarter handball brain fade! Tracc's head wobble after his 2nd goal lol. Not much to see in highlights of Watts. How did he fare I wonder?

Edited by Rusty Nails

10 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

How good were Matt Grandland and Brett Phillips (both from SEN) at commentating today.

No ego, no nonsense, just good old-fashioned commentating.

Indeed.  I wondered who they were.  Never heard of either of them before.  They were good!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Reverend said:

You should start to worry. I'll be back in July.

I happen to know Old Dee is out of the country...

Now I'm not saying........

:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Gorgoroth said:

I might tweet Foxtel and tell them to replace duhwayne with them.

Yes...was interesting to watch with the sound up :P

• Like 1

It's interesting that, despite being one of the greatest players of all time, Ablett has never had a level of popularity that matches his status. Or am I just imagining it? Always left me a little cold.

8 hours ago, Pates said:

Goal line technology is a lot more expensive than what people think. It's not just the cameras but the delivery of the signal back to the broadcast and then facilitating a way of constantly recording it for the entire game. Bare in mind that they provide all this infrastructure and there's a reasonably good chance it won't even be used. 

That said, it should be across the board, if you have it at one regular venue then you have it at all venues. 

I don't think that is right. I often see houses being built with a couple of security cameras installed with wireless comms back to a server which records all day long.  If it cost them more than a couple of hundred I'd be surprised.  The main cost for the AFL might be the hire of a  cherry picker required to install them and change the batteries.

12 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

It's interesting that, despite being one of the greatest players of all time, Ablett has never had a level of popularity that matches his status. Or am I just imagining it? Always left me a little cold.

That's only because he is an exceptionally boring human being.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

He is void of any personality and lacks any charisma which probably doesn't help. I find it hard to listen to him when he speaks to the media.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Biffen said:

I think it's as simple as that. There was a time where he was lurching into fundamentalist Christianity which may have been interesting. There's has been none of the bonkerishness and downright criminality of his Dad. He's probably boring in opposition to this.

I do think it's funny that the other players challenged him this week. So basically he's been carrying them for three years whilst they party on the strip and virtual nobodies ask him to step up

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 1

Just now, Ethan Tremblay said:

He is void of any personality and lacks any charisma which probably doesn't help. I find it hard to listen to him when he speaks to the media.

You don't need friends when you have JC.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Moneider96 said:

We don't need Prestia tbh. Our midfield is already amazing...having blokes like ANB and VDB to come in as well.

Should use our 2018 first rounder on a defender instead.

How quickly people forget last week. We need a mid(s) with serious leg speed. Granted a key defender in the wings as well would be good. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, sue said:

I don't think that is right. I often see houses being built with a couple of security cameras installed with wireless comms back to a server which records all day long.  If it cost them more than a couple of hundred I'd be surprised.  The main cost for the AFL might be the hire of a  cherry picker required to install them and change the batteries.

Apples and oranges, the quality of CCTV for home security would be a fraction of broadcast quality and more importantly the quality to make a crucial call. I wouldn't want to openly speculate the costings but it wouldn't be cheap at all, otherwise they would do it. 

3 hours ago, Forest Demon said:

Metricon is a good little stadium, BUT....

It has major access problems. We had to do the car, train, bus trifecta to get there. Very little info on how to get there online. It's the sort of issue that would make non diehards not bother to make the effort.

Agree Forest. 

I was very lucki all car parks were full and I just found this golf course opp the ground which had just taken in there "car park full" sign and was told we could park for free. 

FMD u could have knocked me over with a feather. 

Getting a park for free was obviously a sign that it was going to be a good night. 

• Like 1

Not having the goal tech at Metricon is shear bloody mindedness on the part of Gil's Dills.

Be a pittance in the grand scheme.

• Like 1

When was the last time we went in to Round 8 with a record of 4-3?  Did we do that back in 2010?  Either way it's great to wake up this morning and know we are seriously going places as a football club.

As someone else mentioned above, we are still young and we aren't going to win every week, but if we bring this application to each game then we are in with a chance of beating any club in the competition.

• Like 2

Does anyone know the status of Viney?

From what I could tell it looked like to took a heavy hit but not sure if he was concussed. He was down for a bit and wouldn't have stayed down if he wasn't hurt. 

1 hour ago, Return to Glory said:

59 minutes ago, Biffen said:

53 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Bit rough. Was raised by Gablett Snt, who we all know what he's like, and who is considered the greatest of all time. Not surprising that amidst his dad's drug and social issues that Jnr found God and buckled down a bit. I certainly see that his personality and demeanour has a lot to do with that, not wanting to turn into Ablett Snr 2.0. They're chalk and cheese. Ablett Snr didn't even know his teammate's names.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, praha said:

Bit rough. Was raised by Gablett Snt, who we all know what he's like, and who is considered the greatest of all time. Not surprising that amidst his dad's drug and social issues that Jnr found God and buckled down a bit. I certainly see that his personality and demeanour has a lot to do with that, not wanting to turn into Ablett Snr 2.0. They're chalk and cheese. Ablett Snr didn't even know his teammate's names.

None of our posts compared Ablett Jnr with Snr nor made mention of Ablett Snr. We just agreed Ablett is boring, not fazed why, he just is.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1