The 'Demons' new found competitive aggression

dee-luded

Here are some snippets of past aggression,  showing how it was to play,  to some extent when Barass played the game.   How is it that this tenacity vanished from our Jumper over the past few decades since Barass played?

... an example of his playing demeanor,  from the 20 second mark

Other power sides have exhibited modern versions of his tenacity,  even if somewhat dirty.

But we've manage to just get about.   Why,  did we lose that tenacity?

.... any thoughts,  1970 til 2013 ?

• Like 1

I had some thoughts between 1970 and 2013 but not many. I didn't want to over stretch the brain too soon.

For crying out loud....
You don't need to have someone who is the bastard child of Allan Killigrew and Yosemite Sam in charge to be a successful club.
Roos built the culture of the Swannies and barely raised his voice. Your mate Neeld did exactly what you advocate here (and have advocated previously) and it was one of the biggest coaching disasters in the game's history.
The world has moved on from the kinds of attitudes displayed by old school, hot gospelling, spray delivering coaches. I suggest you do so as well.

On a serious note, 2005 was my intro to the Dees and I found it very entertaining to watch. It came down to choosing Hawthorn, Carlton, Geelong or the Dees.  I decided on the Dees based on their style of play even though they lost to the Hawks in the first game I saw at the G.

3 minutes ago, Maple Demon said:

On a serious note, 2005 was my intro to the Dees and I found it very entertaining to watch. It came down to choosing Hawthorn, Carlton, Geelong or the Dees.  I decided on the Dees based on their style of play even though they lost to the Hawks in the first game I saw at the G.

Bet you wish you had your time again....only joking.....maybe

5 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

What does Barassi yelling at players and down a phone have to do with the players today apparently playing a more aggressive brand of football?

"Hey You Laddy...Yes You...If you don't eat your meat how can you have any pudding?"...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maple Demon said:

I either feel really sorry for you or blame you entirely.

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

I either feel really sorry for you or blame you entirely.

Wanted to pick a team in Melbourne (so Geelong was out) and I couldn't stand Hawthorn's putrid colours. So it was Carlton or the Demons. I think I made the right choice. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

2 hours ago, Maple Demon said:

Wanted to pick a team in Melbourne (so Geelong was out) and I couldn't stand Hawthorn's putrid colours. So it was Carlton or the Demons. I think I made the right choice. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

And that should be the focus of our marketing. Melbourne - we're not brown and gold.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dee-luded said:

Here are some snippets of past aggression,  showing how it was to play,  to some extent when Barass played the game.   How is it that this tenacity vanished from our Jumper over the past few decades since Barass played?

... an example of his playing demeanor,  from the 20 second mark

Other power sides have exhibited modern versions of his tenacity,  even if somewhat dirty.

But we've manage to just get about.   Why,  did we lose that tenacity?

.... any thoughts,  1970 til 2013 ?

16 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

For crying out loud....
You don't need to have someone who is the bastard child of Allan Killigrew and Yosemite Sam in charge to be a successful club.
Roos built the culture of the Swannies and barely raised his voice. Your mate Neeld did exactly what you advocate here (and have advocated previously) and it was one of the biggest coaching disasters in the game's history.
The world has moved on from the kinds of attitudes displayed by old school, hot gospelling, spray delivering coaches. I suggest you do so as well.

What are you talking about? 

I was calling to get Roosy to rebuild this club,  for 3 years before he got here. 

He is the only one that could unite the club from the MCC  & the outer supporters as well. 

Malthouse would not have gone over well with the MCC patrons,  or the outer punter.

Sheedy would have been great,  but wouldn't have been accepted buy the suits.

So since I'm talking about our onfield players aggression,  & the clubs aggression (not the coach) I'm trying to work out why it disappears all the time,  after we fix it. 

Repeat...  this has nothing to do with a ranting coaching style at all... never did.   you obviously assumed,  because of the first parts of the video,  without reading the written text well.

9 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

DL Has reccuring dreams that RDB & Slug Jordan burn down The Northern Stand...

No If I had my choice,  the smokers stand would still be standing swyl.   and the olympic stand was concrete swyl,  bit too hard to burndown, even for them.

Its not those who built the Smokers stand,  nor the old Olympic stand,  that are the trouble.   Its those who came after those events,  & started to take over the MCC thru the 60's,  eventually seeing the back of Smithy  & further down the road,  to eventually pulling down the old Olympic stand,  to build another,  & in doing so shutting out the regular punter at the footy.

this is where I think cockup came from.   Those born after WW2,  who came thru the ranks & had the taste of power in their drool,  & status in their hearts.  This drives the closeout.

4 hours ago, dee-luded said:

What are you talking about? 

I was calling to get Roosy to rebuild this club,  for 3 years before he got here. 

He is the only one that could unite the club from the MCC  & the outer supporters as well. 

Malthouse would not have gone over well with the MCC patrons,  or the outer punter.

Sheedy would have been great,  but wouldn't have been accepted buy the suits.

So since I'm talking about our onfield players aggression,  & the clubs aggression (not the coach) I'm trying to work out why it disappears all the time,  after we fix it. 

Repeat...  this has nothing to do with a ranting coaching style at all... never did.   you obviously assumed,  because of the first parts of the video,  without reading the written text well.

This is what we would call in Latin 'a non sequitur'.
What's Ron Barassi screaming at players 40 years ago got to do with anything now and what has it got to do with player's commitment and aggression on the field? There are no words I can use to describe the kind of mental disconnect present here. It's like thinking that drinking a bottle of Jim Beam will help you clean your garage up. The two actions just have no relationship.
If you wanted to make a point about on field aggression, why not have some footage of Whelan cleaning up James Hird, Neita shirt fronting Luke McCabe or, if you wanted to get really controversial, Balls Grinter breaking Terry Wallace's jaw? 
And by the way, I remember that you were complaining about the club 'losing their nerve' by sacking Mark Neeld 3 years ago when it was clear to most that we were going backwards at a staggering rate. 

Three of our wins last year I think can be directly attributed to the targeted aggression of our players (particularly Viney) to the opposition captain. 

Gold Coast - Viney repeatedly crunched Ablett every time he got the ball.

Geelong - Viney went after Selwood and showed he wasn't intimidated by him.

Pies - Viney (and I think VDB and Jones) both crunched Pendlebury a few times and he had a poor game. 

Was it a coincidence or tactical. I'm not sure but it definitely had an impact in those games. 

I loved it, 

• Like 3