Training - Wednesday 2nd March, 2016

They trained at Goschs Paddock today but I would hardly have noticed but for this article on the club website - Oliver tackles his tackling technique

EXCITING young Melbourne midfielder Clayton Oliver has begun to work on his tackling technique to avoid coming under Match Review Panel scrutiny in the future.

The 18-year-old took part in tackling drills with teammate Neville Jetta away from the main group at the end of training on Wednesday under the watchful eye of midfield coach Brett Allison.

Meanwhile Christian Petracca took part in full training for the first time on Wednesday.

Melbourne won't be rushing Petracca, who was the No.2 pick in the 2014 Nab AFL Draft.

He is almost certain to not play round one, with expectation being that he will begin his preparation for senior football in the VFL.

Just now, Whispering_Jack said:

He is almost certain to not play round one, with expectation being that he will begin his preparation for senior football in the VFL.

Weren't they saying something much the same a year ago about Angus Brayshaw?

A few BOG's at Casey made a helluva difference.

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

Was Jack Trengove sighted WJ?  If so, how did he look?

Jack looked fine and was running laps when I rocked up late. He is hopefully a starter in Round One or soon after though I confess I wasn't specifically looking for him in the match sim drills. He seems pretty confident.

Most guys seemed to be hard at it in match practice and skill levels were generally good. I particularly noticed Petracca. What a powerful kick this bloke is and he seemed to me to be putting his hand up for Round One (along with a few others who we did not see last Sunday)!

Oliver was another who stood out and (along with Petracca and Watts) was the last off the ground, as he lazily kept posting them through the bigs sticks. Judging from what I saw, another hard call by the selectors again this week (although it would be nice to see Oliver get another run and Petracca come in for Brayshaw)!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

Was Jack Trengove sighted WJ?  If so, how did he look?

I went along for around an hour. I only saw a couple of drills, by they did warms ups etc.

Grimes, JKH in rehab. At a later stage Tyson and Trac pulled out of the main group. Tyson did monitored laps and Trac did other drills away from group.

Trenners was out there and looked fine. Lumumba also, looked pretty quick.

Standouts for me - Hoges, Hulett for pure body size (I was shocked), Trac (love everything about him and reckon the Saints are going to be kicking themselves).

Sorry but others might be able to provide more info, if I remember anything else I'll post.

10 minutes ago, Wormburner said:

I went along for around an hour. I only saw a couple of drills, by they did warms ups etc.

Grimes, JKH in rehab. At a later stage Tyson and Trac pulled out of the main group. Tyson did monitored laps and Trac did other drills away from group.

Trenners was out there and looked fine. Lumumba also, looked pretty quick.

Standouts for me - Hoges, Hulett for pure body size (I was shocked), Trac (love everything about him and reckon the Saints are going to be kicking themselves).

Sorry but others might be able to provide more info, if I remember anything else I'll post.

I agree on Hulett. It would be nice to see him get a run this Sunday.

• Like 1

Please forgive if this has been mentioned in other reports, but is Trenners kicking on his injured foot yet? Surely he won't be playing competitive games until he can put some kicking pressure on it. Might also be a confidence thing, but I'm not aware I've heard of him using it. That indicates to me it might be a while yet before he's ready to take on a game, not that I have any medical knowledge. Please correct me if anyone has spotted him using it regularly at training.

23 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Please forgive if this has been mentioned in other reports, but is Trenners kicking on his injured foot yet? Surely he won't be playing competitive games until he can put some kicking pressure on it. Might also be a confidence thing, but I'm not aware I've heard of him using it. That indicates to me it might be a while yet before he's ready to take on a game, not that I have any medical knowledge. Please correct me if anyone has spotted him using it regularly at training.

As discussed before the most load through the foot is actually kicking on the other foot while the injured foot is supporting the body. Which he is doing now, so using the injured foot to kick shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

As DiD mentioned above, I naively asked this a couple of weeks ago thinking it might be a milestone is he was. The feedback was it would be under more pressure when he is using to kick on his "other foot" let alone the planting/twisting/turning/game day movements.

50 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

What injury did Grimes sustain?

Give it a rest BA.....We all know how you feel about Grimes........No need to bring him up in every thread.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2016 at 3:40 PM, nutbean said:

I just watched all the clips again so I will give it a go.

1. reads the play extremely well - gets to where the ball is
  2. Exceptional evasive skills in close - the "jink" he does is really sublime
  3. Very strong through the hips so he is able to stand up in tackles. This strength more often than not allowed him to shrug tackles
  4. Very strong overhead for his size
  5. good decision maker but I doubt a highlight would show him constantly turning the ball over
  6. His handpassing was very good - his kicking looks ugly but seemed to find its mark.
  7. A positive and a negative - he likes to tackle but quite a few times he slung his opponent in the tackle and we know with slinging that it is a very fineline between ok and suspension.  

20 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

EXCITING young Melbourne midfielder Clayton Oliver has begun to work on his tackling technique to avoid coming under Match Review Panel scrutiny in the future.

The 18-year-old took part in tackling drills with teammate Neville Jetta away from the main group at the end of training on Wednesday under the watchful eye of midfield coach Brett Allison.

I get so few right ! I mentioned  2 weeks ago about his highlight package and now they are working on his tackling technique. Good move. There is so much grey area when you opt to sling. By watching his highlight reel you can see that Saturday was not the first time Oliver has gone the sling tackle. It is good that the club is on the front foot to get it out of his game ( and I await my call from the club if they would like any more insightful assessments on other players  - I'm tipping I will have a long wait)

• Like 5