Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


To the ears of the football gods ...


Whispering_Jack

Recommended Posts

I predict that we will see them both re-signing well before season's end. I reckon Watts will re-sign also and be one of our key players this year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CBDees said:

I predict that we will see them both re-signing well before season's end. I reckon Watts will re-sign also and be one of our key players this year.

I personally don't think we will see Watts at the Dees next season.

Someone will offer him a ridiculous amount of money for his output and he will be gone.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, deeflog said:

I personally don't think we will see Watts at the Dees next season.

Someone will offer him a ridiculous amount of money for his output and he will be gone.

If someone offers him a ridiculous amount of money then I would suggest it would only be if he has a sensational season. It was mooted in the media at the end of the season that Watts might be available for trade but there were apparently no takers which suggests his current "price" is not all that high. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, deeflog said:

I personally don't think we will see Watts at the Dees next season.

Someone will offer him a ridiculous amount of money for his output and he will be gone.

I think that you will find that he is more committed to MFC than that. I think the chance of playing in the first Demons Premiership for over half a Century would mean more to him than the money (particularly when he has suffered through the dark years)!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

If someone offers him a ridiculous amount of money then I would suggest it would only be if he has a sensational season. It was mooted in the media at the end of the season that Watts might be available for trade but there were apparently no takers which suggests his current "price" is not all that high. 

Or teams know his a free agent at the end of this season and can get him for nothing. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, CBDees said:

I predict that we will see them both re-signing well before season's end. I reckon Watts will re-sign also and be one of our key players this year.

There's no middle ground for Watts this year. Entering his 8th season you'd like to think he'd be out to prove a point after being dropped for round 23 last year. He won't be the primary focus of opposition sides and whether he plays deep or roams up the ground to be the link man he has now fully matured and should be able to influence games. I thought for some reason he was extremely quick over 20 metres, he needs to start using that to his advantage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

There's no middle ground for Watts this year. Entering his 8th season you'd like to think he'd be out to prove a point after being dropped for round 23 last year. He won't be the primary focus of opposition sides and whether he plays deep or roams up the ground to be the link man he has now fully matured and should be able to influence games. I thought for some reason he was extremely quick over 20 metres, he needs to start using that to his advantage.

Agree with the post overall, but it wouldn't matter if he was Usain Bolt if a 30m pass misses him by 5m. But he could really benefit from the low hard passing we've been hearing about in training reports.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Akum said:

Agree with the post overall, but it wouldn't matter if he was Usain Bolt if a 30m pass misses him by 5m. But he could really benefit from the low hard passing we've been hearing about in training reports.

I heard he was faster than Pat Cash over 10 metres.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Watts and Grimes can walk if the offer is there. Dawes may well retire, and Trengove is obviously an unknown as to whether he can return to the football field...albeit things are looking positive on that front.

 

What other 19 are out of contract at the end of 2016? I think it's pretty strange to have nearly half the list out of contract in a given year - more often than not I'd expect the number to be a closer to a third or so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

What other 19 are out of contract at the end of 2016? I think it's pretty strange to have nearly half the list out of contract in a given year - more often than not I'd expect the number to be a closer to a third or so.

The 23 includes rookies: King ®19, White ®18, Wagner®, Smith ®20, Michie ®23,

OOC from rfpc's contracts thread:

Trengove 22, Dawes 26, Grimes 25 (RFA), Watts 24 (RFA), Vince 29, Tyson* 21, Kent 21, M Jones 27, Spencer 25 (UFA), T McDonald22, Terlich 25, Jetta 25, Garlett 25, Frost 21, Newton 22, O McDonald 19, Pedersen 28, Hunt 19, Harmes 19.  

After 3 years of massive turnover, the club would want real stability: to reap the benefit of investment in development and the more they play together, know the game plan etc the better.  The ones most at risk IMO (for different reasons) are in bold.  But we can't lose them all as we would lose far too much experience (and protection for the young guys).   The one we have least control over is Spencer and I'm not sure we have a backup for Gawn. 

On the subject of compo picks (if they still exist) we would likely get 2nd/3rd rnd pics which can be traded to one of the Academy teams for a 1st rnd pick altho other teams will want to play the pick upgrade game so that may be a bit harder to do this year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The 23 includes rookies: King ®19, White ®18, Wagner®, Smith ®20, Michie ®23,

OOC from rfpc's contracts thread:

Trengove 22, Dawes 26, Grimes 25 (RFA), Watts 24 (RFA), Vince 29, Tyson* 21, Kent 21, M Jones 27, Spencer 25 (UFA), T McDonald22, Terlich 25, Jetta 25, Garlett 25, Frost 21, Newton 22, O McDonald 19, Pedersen 28, Hunt 19, Harmes 19.  

After 3 years of massive turnover, the club would want real stability: to reap the benefit of investment in development and the more they play together, know the game plan etc the better.  The ones most at risk IMO (for different reasons) are in bold.  But we can't lose them all as we would lose far too much experience (and protection for the young guys).   The one we have least control over is Spencer and I'm not sure we have a backup for Gawn. 

On the subject of compo picks (if they still exist) we would likely get 2nd/3rd rnd pics which can be traded to one of the Academy teams for a 1st rnd pick altho other teams will want to play the pick upgrade game so that may be a bit harder to do this year. 

Re-sign long term

Mcdonald

Kent

Tyson

Garlett

Short term

Trengove

Watts

Grimes

Jetta

Frost

Omac

Hunt

Harmes

Newton

 

 

Vince I believe has a part of his contract that gives him next year as well if he plays enough games which he has easily covered i'd say, but another couple of years on the end isn't something i'd object to

Dawes and Pedo I can't see as offering any more then covering Weiderman until he is ready so I'd only keep one and I think it'd be Pederson given Dawes injuries and average performance

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 4

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 287

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...