• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Round 1 Team

CHF

Just now, ProDee said:

I was told Trengove "looked as sharp as anyone else".  Do you have a view, Bob ?

Tom McDonald said in his interview on the club website that match simulation would be ramped up on Friday and Monday, so I assume this was a lighter session.

It was a very relaxed session with no contact at all and many of the drills at three quarter pace so it was hard to really judge Trengove against anyone else.  He certainly didn't look out of place - he looked comfortable and relaxed.  I went to watch him and Petracca.  It was fantastic to see him with a smile on his face.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Vandenberg won't play round 1.

Only touch and go to play in the VFL this week.

he doesn't really need to play at casey this week to make round 1

as long as he is injury free by round 1 he should be cherry ripe

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

What a rubbish post.

4 week hammy incurred in rd 10.

Season ending ankle injury in rd 18.

3 week ankle injury in NAB 2.

What part of my post is rubbish? Are you disputing he's not injury prone?

I really rate the bloke, but just pointing out that he's had a high number of injuries since he's joined the club.

3 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I really rate the bloke, but just pointing out that he's had a high number of injuries since he's joined the club.

3 is a high number?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Yeah I'd say 3 injuries within 12 months is a high number.

Hopefully he's luck will change and he can have a full season and show the footy world what he's capable of.

Played 14 games in his debut season off the rookie list. I'd classify that as not too bad.

• Like 1

Don't we have some burning questions for round 1 (And early rounds) folks?!

1. Wagner/Hunt OUT, ANB/Stretch, IN?
2. O-Mac OUT, Lumumba, IN?
3. When Dawes is fit, do we play him in the same team as Pedo? (Personally, no, one or the other, and I much prefer Pedo)
4. Who is our bench?...I think our bench this year will be the defining factor in a good amount of games, beasts such as Harmes, Kent, Oliver, Kennedy, Bugg potentially starting off the bench and providing late night grunt and run coupled with a pretty potent goal sense will be crucial.
5. Is there room in a full strength back line for Grimes?

Love being spoilt for choice but lord all mighty do we have some frustratingly delightful deecisions to make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Sample size is too small. A nick in a hammy in a debut season is not uncommon. An unlucky ankle injury and then maybe a second ankle roll that could be a 1 or 2 weeker. 

Injury prone I'd save for players who have repeated long term injuries or repeated similar injuries. 

You label Vanders injury prone and we start running out of players who wouldn't qualify under that label. It's the nature of AFL footy.

14 minutes ago, The Sailing Demon said:

Don't we have some burning questions for round 1 (And early rounds) folks?!

1. Wagner/Hunt OUT, ANB/Stretch, IN?
2. O-Mac OUT, Lumumba, IN?
3. When Dawes is fit, do we play him in the same team as Pedo? (Personally, no, one or the other, and I much prefer Pedo)
4. Who is our bench?...I think our bench this year will be the defining factor in a good amount of games, beasts such as Harmes, Kent, Oliver, Kennedy, Bugg potentially starting off the bench and providing late night grunt and run coupled with a pretty potent goal sense will be crucial.
5. Is there room in a full strength back line for Grimes?

Love being spoilt for choice but lord all mighty do we have some frustratingly delightful deecisions to make.

These aren't the burning questions.

Haha. Sorry Sailing. I don't think Wagner, Hunt, ANB, Stretch or Omac will even get a look-in at the start of the season disregarding injuries (and then only perhaps ANB and Stretch). When Dawes is fit seems a vague very long way off. I'm also not sure the bench means anything nowadays and there's no difference where all these players start (sorry again if I'm interpreting that too literally -  I believe all those mentioned warrant first 22 inclusion). And Grimes. No. There's not room in a full-strength back-line for Grimes. Nor is there room on the wing or in the middle. This doesn't make me happy. I should have said, I think there are a few more greater burning questions. Frost for example.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Haha. Sorry Sailing. I don't think Wagner, Hunt, ANB, Stretch or Omac will even get a look-in at the start of the season disregarding injuries (and then only perhaps ANB and Stretch). When Dawes is fit seems a vague very long way off. I'm also not sure the bench means anything nowadays and there's no difference where all these players start (sorry again if I'm interpreting that too literally -  I believe all those mentioned warrant first 22 inclusion). And Grimes. No. There's not room in a full-strength back-line for Grimes. Nor is there room on the wing or in the middle. This doesn't make me happy. I should have said, I think there are a few more greater burning questions. Frost for example.

Yeah, very true, I want to see ANb and stretch develop but I feel like they might be 12 months off regular call up status.
Dawes disappoints me considering he is on a good income and seems wasteful to have him sitting in Casey but to be honest his performance hasn't been that of a key forward or big man up front. I feel bad for Grimes but fact is, he is a product of the bad old days and come seasons end he might need to dust off his resume and look for a new job.
I think our strong bench will provide a fresh intensity all thoughout the games this year and our entire bench is capable of kicking 7-8 goals between them each game.
And Frost...Hmm, what to do with Mr Frost, you are right, I am at a loss as to where to play him, perhaps use him as a Jeremy Howe kind of utility hopefully a full season this year can really show us the way ahead with him.

I mentioned before that based on Goodwin's praising presser Frost it seems is already playing Howe's role: don't do anything that the fans can readily discern but play a pivotal role somehow in the forward-line set-up (see Geelong game last year). 

Seems that every team posted is using the same pool of 22 players..... and mine is no exception

B

Nevile Jetta

Lynden Dunn

Tom Bugg

HB

Christian Salem

Tom McDonald

Colin Garland

C

Bernie Vince

Dom Tyson

Angus Brayshaw

HF

Jack Watts

Cameron Pedersen

Dean Kent

F

Jeff Garlett

Jesse Hogan

Sam Frost

R

Max Gawn

Nathan Jones

Jack Viney

Bench

Ben Kennedy     Clayton Oliver     Aaron Vandenberg   James Harmes

Emer

Jack Grimes

Matt Jones

Oscar McDonald

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

I mentioned before that based on Goodwin's praising presser Frost it seems is already playing Howe's role: don't do anything that the fans can readily discern but play a pivotal role somehow in the forward-line set-up (see Geelong game last year). 

And Howe spent most of the year at half back because of it. 

Bringing the ball to ground in the forward is important and not as easy as it sounds. Dawes, Howe and Spencer did that well against the Cats and we had players in position to capitalise. 

It would be part of Frost's role. But speed and defensive pressure are too and we've seen that. I think he'll have to take some more grabs and kick more goals to become a permanent fixture. I don't mind the role I just think Vanders can do it almost as well in terms of defensive work and bringing the ball down plus he'll add a lot more other skills.

This is the team I want to see line up against GWS as our baseline best 22 now and into the near future.

FF       Garlett             Hogan             Watts

HF       Kent                Pedersen          Petracca

RR      Viney              Gawn              Vanders

C         Vince               Jones              Brayshaw

HB      Salem              TMac               Lumumba

FB       Jetta                 Dunn               Bugg  

INT     Tyson      Kennedy      Harmes       Oliver          

In:        Dunn   vdBurg   Brayshaw   Lumumba   Petracca

Out:     Frost   M. Jones   Garland   Grimes   OMac   Hunt   (Michie)

New:   Oliver Petracca

Notes: If Petracca is fit then he should play. Based solely on everything I’ve ever heard about the kid. If he’s bouncing around as a stand-out at training already then let GWS decide what to do with him.

Frost is a serious dilemma. Pedo offers a bit more at this stage but Frost is obviously seen as contributing to our current forward set-up. Is he a better, more dangerous prospect than Petracca up forward? Does his versatility get him a game before one of the mid/forwards? Then who comes out? Both Oliver and Harmes have impressed me more than Frost during the NAB.

The selectors have far greater headaches than I do because I suspect they will want Grimes, Garland, M. Jones and Frost in. Who comes out? Those returning from injury or less experienced: choose four of Vanders, Brayshaw, Lumumba, Harmes, Oliver, Petracca and then Pedo. Selection headache deferred for a week or two even in the event of a win.

9 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Seems that every team posted is using the same pool of 22 players..... and mine is no exception

B

Nevile Jetta

Lynden Dunn

Tom Bugg

HB

Christian Salem

Tom McDonald

Colin Garland

C

Bernie Vince

Dom Tyson

Angus Brayshaw

HF

Jack Watts

Cameron Pedersen

Dean Kent

F

Jeff Garlett

Jesse Hogan

Sam Frost

R

Max Gawn

Nathan Jones

Jack Viney

Bench

Ben Kennedy     Clayton Oliver     Aaron Vandenberg   James Harmes

Emer

Jack Grimes

Matt Jones

Oscar McDonald

I think if all fit and ready to go, you have nailed it....it would be my side also. But maybe Garland on the full back line and Bugg on the CHB flank..

Edited by jayceebee31
Change.