Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts in 2016?

Fitz Fitzpatrick

As our list gets stronger I'm hoping its blokes like Vince who get released on the outside & guess what? He'll still go when it's his turn to!

I've seen Watts poo himself on a high ball against Brent harvey ffs!!! Name one other player in the league who's done that?

I've used "A grader" as a term before, and probably will in the future. But I use that term as saying that player is one of the best in the comp, not as a comparative grade which I then go through and weight against other players, ie - I don't use B grader, C grader, High Distinction player, RPL player....

Well, you have used the term "B grade" when describing footballers before ... here ... and here is another one.

Here's one where you used the term "D grade" (strangely enough, in a previous conversation with me)

By the way Stuie, would you call the club maneuvering it's way to getting picks 3 & 7 "innovative"? ... or is that just normal stuff?

Edited by Macca
  • Like 4

Well, you have used the term "B grade" when describing footballers before ... here ... and here is another one.

Here's one where you used the term "D grade" (strangely enough, in a previous conversation with me)

By the way Stuie, would you call the club maneuvering it's way to getting picks 3 & 7 "innovative"? ... or is that just normal stuff?

Ugh. Seriously? You're going back 2 years in searching posts? Wow.

As I tried to explain to you earlier, I have used the term in a generic sense but not to classify players as individuals like you had. I know context isn't exactly the strong point of those who want to try and use quotes for their own points, but maybe have a look at that in your own time (seeing you seem to have so much) and work it out for yourself.

Also, your last point has nothing to do with anything. Not sure what you're tripping over yourself to try and say there, but again, I guess when you're just trying to make whatever point you want then you can conveniently ignore what was actually said.

Ugh. Seriously? You're going back 2 years in searching posts? Wow.

As I tried to explain to you earlier, I have used the term in a generic sense but not to classify players as individuals like you had. I know context isn't exactly the strong point of those who want to try and use quotes for their own points, but maybe have a look at that in your own time (seeing you seem to have so much) and work it out for yourself.

Also, your last point has nothing to do with anything. Not sure what you're tripping over yourself to try and say there, but again, I guess when you're just trying to make whatever point you want then you can conveniently ignore what was actually said.

It took me all of 5 minutes to find your posts which contradicted your "definitive statement" about grading players ... "I don't use B grader, C grader ...." - your words stuie.

The search function on this site is easy to use - just type in a few words like ... stuie, b grade, d grade and hey presto, up come the results.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

It took me all of 5 minutes to find your posts which contradicted your "definitive statement" about grading players ... "I don't use B grader, C grader ...." - your words stuie.

The search function on this site is easy to use - just type in a few words like ... stuie, b grade, d grade and hey presto, up come the results.

You'd do well to try and remember what you say here ... stop embarrassing yourself.

BANG!

• Like 2

You'd do well to try and remember what you say here ... stop embarrassing yourself.

Eeek!

I voted for Jimmy Toumpas ;)

• Like 2

Oh ok, so now we're moving from quoting out of context to using specific portions of quotes. Top shelf stuff "Macca", a man of integrity.

Just had a look at a few of your posts from 2 years ago too, some pearlers there mate, but I'll leave the hours of research for the sake of sniping and trolling to you.

Oh ok, so now we're moving from quoting out of context to using specific portions of quotes. Top shelf stuff "Macca", a man of integrity.

Just had a look at a few of your posts from 2 years ago too, some pearlers there mate, but I'll leave the hours of research for the sake of sniping and trolling to you.

And I'd happily put my hand up for anything I've ever said.

Anyway, you can have the last word.

Eeek!

I voted for Jimmy Toumpas ;)

But you're a swinging voter JR (well, that was your reasoning the last time the subject was broached :) )

The bottom line is that none of us are experts and we all get things horribly wrong - I don't see the big deal in admitting as much. The "I told you so people" never seem to want to tell us the stuff that they get wrong. It's actually quite funny if one is to think about it.

Re Watts ... I reckon we all see the same footballer but some have less faith than others and the "expectation factor" is a big influence as well.

I can honestly say that I never had great expectations with Watts ... however, I did have big expectations for Scully & Trengove. I reckon the money ruined Scully and Trengove has been dreadfully unlucky with his foot issues.

• Like 1

But you're a swinging voter JR (well, that was your reasoning the last time the subject was broached :) )

The bottom line is that none of us are experts and we all get things horribly wrong - I don't see the big deal in admitting as much. The "I told you so people" never seem to want to tell us the stuff that they get wrong. It's actually quite funny if one is to think about it.

Re Watts ... I reckon we all see the same footballer but some have less faith than others and the "expectation factor" is a big influence as well.

I can honestly say that I never had great expectations with Watts ... however, I did have big expectations for Scully & Trengove. I reckon the money ruined Scully and Trengove has been dreadfully unlucky with his foot issues.

Scully and Trengove - man, I got excited a few years ago.....

• Like 1

Scully and Trengove - man, I got excited a few years ago.....

Yep, the hype was huge and even though I'm distrustful of the draft, I got caught up - and both showed a bit in their first year too.

Re Watts ... he's still a fair way ahead of many on our list so I don't see him going anywhere. If you look at our list closely, there's quite a few who would go before him. The issue is that many still want a top player (probably because of his draft number)

As I said in an earlier post, if he can lift his output to being one of our best 8-15 players, then that would satisfy me at least (and probably the Match Committee) I see him as C+ but I reckon he can get to B.

I'd play him in the midfield and leave him there for a good length of time ... Dean did play him there for a number of games and I though he showed a bit. The time period was in the middle of the 2011 season for about 6-8 games.

I thought his hands were nice and quick and he got in amongst it a bit ... many won't agree but I know what I saw.

• Like 1

Yep, the hype was huge and even though I'm distrustful of the draft, I got caught up - and both showed a bit in their first year too.

Re Watts ... he's still a fair way ahead of many on our list so I don't see him going anywhere. If you look at our list closely, there's quite a few who would go before him. The issue is that many still want a top player (probably because of his draft number)

As I said in an earlier post, if he can lift his output to being one of our best 8-15 players, then that would satisfy me at least (and probably the Match Committee) I see him as C+ but I reckon he can get to B.

I'd play him in the midfield and leave him there for a good length of time ... Dean did play him there for a number of games and I though he showed a bit. The time period was in the middle of the 2011 season for about 6-8 games.

I thought his hands were nice and quick and he got in amongst it a bit ... many won't agree but I know what I saw.

I want him in the forward pocket....and left there.

But, it ain't my call.

Stuie, when you're in a hole, stop digging.

I want him in the forward pocket....and left there.

But, it ain't my call.

Well, we'll find out soon enough.

There are players who mature late or get better late ... Dunn is a good example of that. I don't ordinarily like to rule a line through a player whilst there's at least a season ahead for that player. The Match Committee would act the same way.

Some players lift when the team lifts ... Dawes cops it too but if he was the genuine 3rd forward with the 1 and 2 key forwards firing, he'd come into his own. Some forwards are ideally suited to being the 3rd forward ... it's a bit the same in cricket with the good 3rd seamer (Max, Merv, Sids, Dizzy)

Your call for Watts in the FP might be the right one but I'll stick to my midfield role for Jack.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seems inevitable every year that there is a massive thread on Demonland devoted to Jack Watts. Every there are those saying "this will be his breakout year", and then on the other side the ever increasing belief that he's had his crack.

Personally I try not to think about him any more in any hope for the future. He's great with the kids, he's a great ambassador for the club off the field, and he genuinely seems like a good bloke, but on field I'm done waiting and I'm done hoping. It's in him to be a valuable contributor to the team, but it really is down to him on whether he succeeds or not.

My feeling is that he won't be staying past his contract (whenever that ends).

53 minutes ago, Pates said:

Seems inevitable every year that there is a massive thread on Demonland devoted to Jack Watts. Every there are those saying "this will be his breakout year", and then on the other side the ever increasing belief that he's had his crack.

Personally I try not to think about him any more in any hope for the future. He's great with the kids, he's a great ambassador for the club off the field, and he genuinely seems like a good bloke, but on field I'm done waiting and I'm done hoping. It's in him to be a valuable contributor to the team, but it really is down to him on whether he succeeds or not.

My feeling is that he won't be staying past his contract (whenever that ends).

seriously who cares? I am completely over players who get currency for these types of things without performing on-field. I'm no JW hater but it's time to deliver for more than a quarter here and there.

I cant see Watts improving much from where he is. Depends on his efforts up against the hungry, young guys we have coming through. Shopped around but no takers this year.

He is a player when he wants to be and can kick a goal, but its all to few and far between.

Edited by DSP

I am always happy to give him a break. 

Why?  Because he is a good bloke,  who tries hard and is a good club man. If he isn't up to it, the way we'd like him to be,  he will get repaved when better players take his spot. He isn't commanding crazy high salary. He isn't settong a poor off field example for others.  He isn't wasting his talent by not traininf hard or by partying. 

When Watts stops getting a game this team will have seriously improved.  Until then he offers a better on field option than many other available options while at the same time offering off field value. 

Why the hate? 

• Like 12

Jack will be a much better player in a better team with a stronger midfield. He will show his worth as he gets better players around him

He is not the saviour we were sold. But he is a very talented player and will help us reach finals, and win a few besides

I wish him the best

Edited by Bigred
  • Like 8