I'm torn between sitting in between the Melbourne faithful at the city end of Subiaco oval which, is invariably the worst available for opposition supporters or, sitting in plum seating of the Freo members area.

My dilemma exists because it'll be the first time I take my young bloke, who is five years old to the footy. Being an interstate member obviously gets me a ticket and I will need to buy one for the young fella. A close friend of my missus has offered up her two members seats to ensure we get good viewing and give my son the best chance to watch the game.

He's still pretty Luke warm on the footy.

What's the sentiment?

Ed: have until the end of the week to get the MFC seats.

Edited by McQueen

Sit in the good seats, but be noisy about it. ;) Hope the younger fella enjoys it and that our mob put up a respectable display. We don't need to lose any more young members.

Edited by AdamFarr

Sit in the good seats, but be noisy about it. ;) Hope the younger fella enjoys it and that our mob put up a respectable display. We don't need to lose any more young members.

Chances are he will become a Freo fan. Sit in the with the other demon fans that way you have a small chance of keeping him Red and Blue.

Well, see, this is where I'm different. I much prefer to antagonise the locals (as I did in Adelaide and Geelong). It's the main reason my family are concerned that I sit with them. :P

• Like 2

I'd sit with the MFC people. If you want to successfully brainwash the boy, it's a no-win situation sitting with the Freo fans. If we're losing/getting thrashed, it's going to be hard work sitting there glum and grumpy while you're surrounded by a rabid euphoria dressed in purple. If a miracle happens and we're winning, he'll miss the great atmosphere and bond you get with other supporters when your team gets on top.

I doubt a slightly different perspective of the game is going to be the difference between winning him over or not.

• Like 3

Well, see, this is where I'm different. I much prefer to antagonise the locals (as I did in Adelaide and Geelong). It's the main reason my family are concerned that I sit with them. :P

If I were going by myself I'd agree with you - get the best angle and enjoy the luxury of winding the buggers up should the chance arise. Not with my 5 year old son though.

• Like 1

I'm torn between sitting in between the Melbourne faithful at the city end of Subiaco oval which, is invariably the worst available for opposition supporters or, sitting in plum seating of the Freo members area.

My dilemma exists because it'll be the first time I take my young bloke, who is five years old to the footy. Being an interstate member obviously gets me a ticket and I will need to buy one for the young fella. A close friend of my missus has offered up her two members seats to ensure we get good viewing and give my son the best chance to watch the game.

He's still pretty Luke warm on the footy.

What's the sentiment?

Ed: have until the end of the week to get the MFC seats.

I have learnt the hard way Steve. If you want to conclude the day with conjugal relations - sit where the missus says!

I won't be giving my kids a choice, OD. :P You're a demon or you don't go with me (or more aptly - you're dead to me).

The idea of raising children is to ensure they can think for themselves and own their decisions.

Your path is a dangerous one, you run the real risk of alienating them because of a football team.

IMO there are lots more important things in life.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

Also an interstate member but my mate is an Eagles member and purchases me a couple of tickets.

I wouldn't hesitate sitting in the better seating.

The wooden bench seating ala old Waverley Park that occupies most of Subiaco is horrible.

*Can't see it happening but if we sneak in a win I couldn't think of a better place to be sitting.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

The idea of raising children is to ensure they can think for themselves and own their decisions.

Your path is a dangerous one, you run the real risk of alenating them because of a football team.

Yes! As I said above OD, one is usually looking for a root conjugal relations after the footy.

• Like 1

Chances are he will become a Freo fan. Sit in the with the other demon fans that way you have a small chance of keeping him Red and Blue.

You're blinding me with your optimism OD! Stop!

You're blinding me with your optimism OD! Stop!

If you were a five year old living in WA would you be more inclined to get with the strength around you or stay with the down trodden?

• Like 1

If you were a five year old living in WA would you be more inclined to get with the strength around you or stay with the down trodden?

I reckon the pull of bonding with Dad outweighs a kid's want of success, and by the time they're old enough to care about success they're too entrenched to change.

I've changed my tack with my kids lately and it's improved their interest 200%. These days it's more "yayy Melbourne, go Demons, yayyy! Oh never mind, we lost by 80 points again. Let's have icecream."

It's very different when I'm watching on my own!

• Like 4

I reckon the pull of bonding with Dad outweighs a kid's want of success, and by the time they're old enough to care about success they're too entrenched to change.

I've changed my tack with my kids lately and it's improved their interest 200%. These days it's more "yayy Melbourne, go Demons, yayyy! Oh never mind, we lost by 80 points again. Let's have icecream."

I'd agree (though I don't have kids of my own).

Just don't show them the picture of Jesse in a Freo scarf!

So bribery is the go. Pay the lad $22 p/a in ice-cream funds to support the Dees. The club will get it back many-fold when he's a miserably entrenched future member.

I have learnt the hard way Steve. If you want to conclude the day with conjugal relations - sit where the missus says!

Fortunately, that's not a problem I encounter.

Also an interstate member but my mate is an Eagles member and purchases me a couple of tickets.

I wouldn't hesitate sitting in the better seating.

The wooden bench seating ala old Waverley Park that occupies most of Subiaco is horrible.

*Can't see it happening but if we sneak in a win I couldn't think of a better place to be sitting.

The problem is Ethan, and you would probably know where I'm coming from, WA footy fans are generally quite feral if the opposing team actually wins. The amount of scraps I've seen at that ground over the last 8 years is rather impressive (quantity wise).

Without the young bloke I'd love to smack the smile off one or two Freo supporters mugs if required.

• Like 1

If he's 5 he'll enjoy the day no matter what. I took my son to his first game against the filth and they absolutely flogged us in the first quarter. When they finally kicked a point he excitedly yelled out 'daddy we've got the ball' much to the amusement of all around. He still barracks for the dees 20 years later!

• Like 3

The problem is Ethan, and you would probably know where I'm coming from, WA footy fans are generally quite feral if the opposing team actually wins. The amount of scraps I've seen at that ground over the last 8 years is rather impressive (quantity wise).

Without the young bloke I'd love to smack the smile off one or two Freo supporters mugs if required.

I know exactly what you mean. I've only been to one Demons win at Subiaco and was lucky to make it out unscathed, completely feral. Different story if they win.

Perhaps safety in numbers and stick with MFC crowd.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

Your path is a dangerous one, you run the real risk of alienating them because of a football team.

Tongue in cheek, OD.
  • Like 1

I think I have posted this before.

My daughter at 14 suggested that she couldn't take watching us anymore and wanted to shift teams.

I told her I had no problem with that at all but if she did there would be no more MCC membership and we would only go to the footy once a year when her new team played the Dees as I had zero interest in watching another team play.

Tough love - but it was called for.

I am happy to announce that she is still a proud dees fan and her full MCC membership came through this year.

• Like 2

I also sat both my daughters down and told them it was very important that when they decided on their life partners they had to be "of the faith". When they asked me if them having Jewish partners was really that important to me I told them I couldn't care less about that - When I said "of the faith" I meant Melbourne supporters.

Happily the oldest is firmly entrenched with a mad Demons fan and we all go to the footy together.

• Like 1