Changes vs the Saints

What

How are we dropping Toumpas? How?????

Vanders will miss and hopefully that is the only change we will need to make (for Tyson).

St Kilda go tall in the backline so Fitzy will stay.

Not a big M Jones fan but sub awaits him again

I think this Saints game this week is the perfect time to blood AN-B.

I'd say AN-B in for vandenborg (inj)

I think Tyson in for MJones.

and I would have Stretch in as well for another run, maybe sub?

• Like 2

Fitzy was quite poor today so he goes after the performaces he's had the last two weeks. Matt Jones out as well

Bring back tyson, who should have played today, and grimes.

One of ANB or Stretch to be included for vanders if he doesnt play

That's a fair criticism. He has always looked for safe options, but even more so the last year or two. I think he well and truly stays in the team, but I would be telling him to back himself more.

yep, if we want him to back himself, to get out of the Yips.... then we have to back him in to giv him the chance to do just thtat. he needs to get used to the pace so he becomes more composed.

he is showing progress in my minds eye. as was JWatts today, & recently.

we have to show these 2 boys some loyalty now, as they are showing the willingness to challenge themselves at their weaknesses... if they were still pulling back, i'd say drop them; but whilst they are trying to push themselves at their weaknesses, I say, 'back them in'... we'll get they're backs, & & we'll give them a chopout.

• Like 2

I thought fitzy did his job on his man who got bugger all of the ball. he made one silly mistake, where a few others made several. I would keep him to get him working harder at AFL level. The saints have a few talls so unless frost is ready to come back he should stay. Matt jones out, Vanders unfortunately looks injured and maybe give pigdog a rest with Casey. In comes Grimes, Tyson and maybe give ANB a run.

• Like 4

I want Newton to play well (but he doesn't get it enough). I'd keep in anyway.

Have never liked pig dog playing for us.. Just had nothing (no impact ever) full games (but at least he tackles hard right??)! - that sub game was good so maybe that's the position for him.

Tyson in for vanders.

I'd love to bring ANB in as sub for Matt jones (more because I want to see him play).

If saints play both ruckman then fitzy stays (think they do).

If someone else goes out then grimes comes in.

Keep up the good effort boys, bring home the win next round! Go dees!

Anyone that singles out Toumpas today really does need to question their bias. Wasn't our best, far from our worst. Starting to get his hands on it and getting the right contested/uncontested balance and unlike most of our other mids runs to space. Made a couple of errors but not on his own there. Newton, Riley and M Jones clearly more likely to go out based on output and impact. I would make three but would not be surprised just Vandenberg for Tyson.

Out Vandenberg, M Jones, Newton

In Tyson, ANB, Grimes

• Like 4

OUTS

Fitz, Toumpas, M Jones, Vanders( inj)

INS

Tyson, Dawes, A N Bullen ( to debut)

Also in mix Grimes,

FCS What positives has Dawes done this year, seriously?

He needs a week or more at Casey to at least prove that he can run out a game, and do something creative.

• Like 3

Id like to see a breakdown of Newton's quarter by quarter. He ended up with 6 tackles but think 5 were in the first quarter. Roos was livid about whoever was meant to match up on Oxley. I'm trying to think who (Brayshaw? Howe?) think Newton might have been his man. If so he's back at Casey this week.

• Like 1

Just checked. Riley, Newton, Howe and Garlett disappeared after half time. Looks like Toump had Oxley in the first half and then he moved much more around the ball in the second half and then Newton picked him up when Seedsman went off.

To the people saying drop Toumpas, yes he made a few poor decisions, but overall he actually had a decent game.

He had 21 disposals, 8 contested, 80% efficiency, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 rebound 50s and 4 tackles. They're decent stats, and he was far from our worst today. We need to let him gain more confidence and build on these games. He's already showing a bit this year. Dropping him would be yet another poor selection decision. I'm sick of him being a scape goat on this site.

This is a classic case where the statistics don't tell the full story, he was timid and didn't hurt the opposition. This was clear for us at the game, not those just looking at the stats sheet. His handpass backwards to Gawn (while himself in the clear) was a clear example of this but it will just be measured as an "effective disposal".

• Like 2

For what it's worth (obviously not a lot after Grimesy got axed last week for a game when we were up against a side with three small forwards), I reckon we will make three or four changes.

Tyson and Neal-Bullen are certain ins and I'd suspect they will replace Vanders and Newton.

I'd also like to see Grimesy back in defence because he is a smart footballer. He replaces Toumpas.

The other change is brought about because Gawn tired so badly and we need Spencer's strength after half time, particularly if St Kilda goes with both Longer and Hickey. To do that we will have to drop Fitzy and have Pedo pinch-hit as a defensive tall at times when they go big.

Matt Jones can stay the sub until JKH is fit, but happy if Stretch got the gig instead.

Tom Mc goes to Riewoldt as always and Dunn will have to take Bruce and Col takes the third tall.

Anyone that singles out Toumpas today really does need to question their bias. Wasn't our best, far from our worst. Starting to get his hands on it and getting the right contested/uncontested balance and unlike most of our other mids runs to space.

Funny BRFE I have been an optimist with Toumpas and still hold out hope but his decision in the first quarter to kick the ball blindly over his shoulder into play when he was 1m out from Collingwoods goal and storming towards their goal was so bad I am starting to really wonder.

• Like 2

I do love him, but Gawn doesn't have a tank and was really exposed by Grundy I thought - Will probably get another chance though just for Roos to confirm that we really are [censored] in the ruck department

For those who want Fitzy out? Why? I didn't even notice him up until his error in the goal square. Because Jesse White had done absolutely nothing for the whole game! He will stay in the side I think

Out: Jones, vandenBerg

In: Tyson, ANB

• Like 1

This is a classic case where the statistics don't tell the full story, he was timid and didn't hurt the opposition. This was clear for us at the game, not those just looking at the stats sheet. His handpass backwards to Gawn (while himself in the clear) was a clear example of this but it will just be measured as an "effective disposal".

How amusing was the collective groan from all the MFC supporters when he handpassed to Dunn as he was being tackled from behind by Cloke in the 2nd quarter?

He could have kicked it himself he was so open.

vandenberg is an obvious out, and fitz has no match up. newton and matt jones did very little today.

OUT: fitzpatrick, vandenberg, m jones

IN: tyson, anb, michie

newton very lucky.

toumpas runs to the right spots to get the ball, but he's a turnover merchant. he has company in that regard throughout the entire playing group.