• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Casey Scorpions v Collingwood

KC from Casey

Thanks KC.

I'm excited to see King continue to kick goals. IMO forward/ruck is a real key position in modern footy, very valuable of you get it right. And if King could develop into that player in the AFL in the next 3 years I'd be very happy.

Can you tell me if he is kicking goals because he is playing smart forward footy, if he marks well and reads the ball well? Does he contribute in other ways around the ground? Or is it just that he is very tall and playing development league.

Big guys take time. At 19 years old, 200 cm and only 90 kg, I don't mind if he needs 2 more years to put some weight on and play consistently in the seniors, but just wondering if he is looking promising in the right way.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 2

Thanks KC.

I'm excited to see King continue to kick goals. IMO forward/ruck is a real key position in modern footy, very valuable of you get it right. And if King could develop into that player in the AFL in the next 3 years I'd be very happy.

Can you tell me if he is kicking goals because he is playing smart forward footy, if he marks well and reads the ball well? Does he contribute in other ways around the ground? Or is it just that he is very tall and playing development league.

Big guys take time. At 19 years old, 200 cm and only 90 kg, I don't mind if he needs 2 more years to put some weight on and play consistently in the seniors, but just wondering if he is looking promising in the right way.

Sometimes this blanket statement is used to cover up for a player who is never going to make it. Was used a lot for Lucas Cook.

Then you have someone like Hogan who comes in and makes an impact from the start at VFL then AFL level.

I would think King is a long way off and had better play some senior VFL games soon it he's going to make it.

• Like 2

Rjay, Hogan, is 10+ kg heavier than King but ~5 cm shorter. He is also a year older, has had an extra season and preseason on the list and was touted as a potential pick 1.

I think that statement applies to the tall skinny types, which King is, rather than the ready to go man children.

Putting it in perspective at the start of the year, Spencer played ruck and Gawn played ruck/forward for Casey. So where could King, as a lanky 200 cm ruck/forward play? Then Jamar went back and still Casey already had two rucks.

King has obviously performed at development league level where he had kicked 14 goals in 5 games to be leading the competition goal kicking and been named in the best 3 times.

I agree he wants some games at VFL level and that's why I'm asking if someone who had seen him a bit this year thinks he is kicking goals due to playing well or just due to being tall.

If he takes two more years to make his AFL debut I'm not fussed, as long as he continues to improve in that time.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 4

Rjay, Hogan, is 10+ kg heavier than King but ~5 cm shorter. He is also a year older, has had an extra season and preseason on the list and was touted as a potential pick 1.

I think that statement applies to the tall skinny types, which King is, rather than the ready to go man children.

Putting it in perspective at the start of the year, Spencer played ruck and Gawn played ruck/forward for Casey. So where could King, as a lanky 200 cm ruck/forward play? Then Jamar went back and still Casey already had two rucks.

King has obviously performed at development league level where he had kicked 14 goals in 5 games to be leading the competition goal kicking and been named in the best 3 times.

I agree he wants some games at VFL level and that's why I'm asking if someone who had seen him a bit this year thinks he is kicking goals due to playing well or just due to being tall.

If he takes two more years to make his AFL debut I'm not fussed, as long as he continues to improve in that time.

I don't expect him to perform up to Hogans level but am saying the blanket statement that talls take time is not always true. Hogan was performing in his first year at VFL level as a 17yo, Jeremey Cameron is another that hasn't taken time.

I would expect King to be really imposing himself at development level and if the decision is the Jamar retire at years end then maybe that's brought forward or he should drop down to development level if King is knocking the door down.

One big problem I have with him is his aerobic capacity, he's really struggled at training to keep up in preseason. Some people just can't build the tank required, think Blease for example. If he's to be a forward/ruck he will really need to have this ability.

• Like 1

I don't expect him to perform up to Hogans level but am saying the blanket statement that talls take time is not always true. Hogan was performing in his first year at VFL level as a 17yo, Jeremey Cameron is another that hasn't taken time.

I would expect King to be really imposing himself at development level and if the decision is the Jamar retire at years end then maybe that's brought forward or he should drop down to development level if King is knocking the door down.

One big problem I have with him is his aerobic capacity, he's really struggled at training to keep up in preseason. Some people just can't build the tank required, think Blease for example. If he's to be a forward/ruck he will really need to have this ability.

Thanks RJay. As I said, I really haven't seen much of him so the info on aerobic capacity is appreciated.

While i agree that "blanket statements" are no good, i do think it is reasonable to expect (and sorted by history) that tall skinny players take longer to develop. Even if it is just that they don't grow into their frame until age 22.

I'm sure if Roos thinks he is worth persisting with we will keep him on.

I will feel sick if we force Jamar into retirement. Even the D-League is an insult for a modern champion of the club (granted, the criteria isn't as high as it once was). I fully expect him to return to the side in a week or two should Gawn not perform anyway, but demote or sack him for Max [censored] King?

Russian has every reason to be miffed, considering the fact that he was dropped for an inferior player despite playing well. The fact that he's not playing well in the VFL is no good, but he's hardly taking his complaints public.

If King is a half-decent player he will stand up and perform?

Here's a hint - he was a rookie selection for a reason and nothing he has done so far contravenes the fact that he will be delisted soon.

Edited by Pirlo
  • Like 1

Many of the best ruckmen have been given time on the rookie list to develop:

Jamar, Jolly, Cox, Mumford, Rutten and Sandilands come to mind.. No reason King can't do the same.

I'm not saying there is, but Jamar is clearly our best ruckman and it would be retrograde to have him in the reserves or sack him to give a very unlikely prospect a chance to play VFL.

I'm not saying there is, but Jamar is clearly our best ruckman and it would be retrograde to have him in the reserves or sack him to give a very unlikely prospect a chance to play VFL.

No his not.

If he was clearly our best ruckman he would be playing on Monday.

wins a number centre taps to his feet. Does bugger all around the ground, nil marks nil scores.

Low level agression.

Over hill and will be gone next year.

He is not the present or the future.

He has had a good long run at the MFC but he is now at the end.

• Like 3

I disagree that Jamar is clearly our best ruckman, unless the only thing you are considering in that rating is the hit out count.

In the last 3 weeks I reckon I've seen Spencer do more positive things around the ground than I've seen Jamar do in the past 12 months. Spencer takes the game on, isn't afraid to kick the ball when he has it, and tackles, blocks and harasses at stoppages. If Jamar did that he would be clearly our best ruck.

• Like 2

I did not see the game last night so I am asking anyone who did.

King Kicks three goals out of a total of nine and is not listed in the top six players for Casey.

Did he have three kicks?

how did he play?

• Like 1

Some of the comments etc re King are the reasons I have stopped contributing on here

He is a 19yr old ruckman/forward, we have the opportunity to build him from the ground up

I have spoken to the coaches, he hasn't got the physique just yet to compete against the ruckman he would come up against in the seniors at VFL level, he needs at least another year

They are playing him as a forward as he is a good kick, as can be seen from his consistent goalvscoring up to now, because we have had fit ruckmen, the thinking is he gets more game time in the Development league at the moment

They will obviously assess his progress at the end of the year, just at the moment they are more than happy with his development

• Like 12

Some of the comments etc re King are the reasons I have stopped contributing on here

He is a 19yr old ruckman/forward, we have the opportunity to build him from the ground up

I have spoken to the coaches, he hasn't got the physique just yet to compete against the ruckman he would come up against in the seniors at VFL level, he needs at least another year

They are playing him as a forward as he is a good kick, as can be seen from his consistent goalvscoring up to now, because we have had fit ruckmen, the thinking is he gets more game time in the Development league at the moment

They will obviously assess his progress at the end of the year, just at the moment they are more than happy with his development

Plus, he's a rookie FFS, it's not like he's taking up precious money or a spot on the list.

• Like 3

I like King, he kicked a nice goal in the NAB Cup 2014, looked a nice mover for a 200cm bloke.

Has all the time in the world to put some muscle on. Definitely worth persevering with.

• Like 6

It's become a bit of an arm wrestle with Collingwood holding on and neither side scoring 36 - 24.

Wait. There's a goal to Viv Mich and Casey now trail by just 6 points!

Tyson, Michie and Neale-Bullen starting to take over in the midfield. Casey small Ed Morris doing well.

• Like 2