National Under 18 Championships - 2015

Thanks for that CJ.

Any idea why they didn't stream or televise the SA v Vic Country game last week given it was the feature match of the carnival to date?

No formal reason given, only game not broadcast after the deal was struck with AFL and Fox. Can only think Fox couldn't accommodate coverage on the day. Disappointing, but very happy that all other games are being covered.

Chaser, enjoying your work re the Under 18's. Having watched Hawthorn's lefties on Thursday, any idea who the prominent cackies are this year? Tough question I know.

Cheers RTG, really love this time of year. Darcy Tucker was the one coming into the Champs, Riley Bonner from SA has caught the eye during. 190cm with a very nice kick. Could be Kolodjashni type, and may rise in a similar fashion. Can play hb or hf.

Rhys Mathieson. 185 cm, but meets the other criteria. Like many inside mids, may slide to lower half of top 10 as flashier types with higher perceived upside get taken higher, but I think he's worthy of a high selection. Consistent with a well rounded game.

Thanks cj..will keep an eye out for him.

Can't see us drafting anyone in the first round this year. We'll trade it.

Depends on whether we can convince our targets to come. We couldn't get deals done with 2 high first round picks last year. Even if it's not our preference, we may still end up taking our first rounder to the draft.

Has Jake Lovett been spotted lately?

Can only think Jake's injured at the moment. Hasn't been played for VC and hasn't been named for Dandenong this week.

Depends on whether we can convince our targets to come. We couldn't get deals done with 2 high first round picks last year. Even if it's not our preference, we may still end up taking our first rounder to the draft.

True, but I think we will have shown enough by year's end to attract someone with that first pick.
  • Like 1

Can't see us drafting anyone in the first round this year. We'll trade it.

Really AF? I reckon this is the year to do stick with kids. Have a young group of emerging mids together for three to four years. The expansion teams have been gifted the pick of the litter to dominate in the next few years so now, for mine, is the time to be long sighted.

• Like 3

It's a difficult one.

With a shallow draft, is it better to keep your early picks as you are much less likely to get value with late picks?

Or as a result are they worth a premium on the trade table as a result?

I think it's all key to what you're able to get for the pick at the time, and a bit about list balance in terms of age.

We're also head in towards an unprecedented age of player movement, with lowered free agency criteria, the potential for player-trade-veto being removed, and trading of future picks.

I think for us, like last year, see what we can get, but be very happy going to the draft keeping the picks.

We're not desperate for that one piece to push us over the edge, we have many holes to fill.

It's still about getting quality onto our list first & foremost, not paying overs to fill needs.

Keays dominates NT in U18s

QUEENSLAND 3.1 7.3 13.5 17.10 (112)

NORTHERN TERRITORY 1.4 2.7 4.8 5.10 (40)

GOALS

Queensland: Buzza 5, Budarick 2, Weller 2, Blood 2, Keays, Allison, Edwards, Reeves, Ritchie, Spencer

Northern Territory: Holt-Tubbs 2, Parfitt, Frank, Egan

BEST

Queensland: Keays, Allison, William Budarick, Buzza, Hipwood

Northern Territory: McGregor, Rioli, McMasters, Long, Barry, Shannon

Lovell proves ball-magnet as Tasmania holds off late NSW/ACT charge

NSW/ACT 1.2 3.3 5.5 10.10 (70)

TASMANIA 3.5 3.9 8.11 10.12 (72)

GOALS

NSW/ACT: Himmelberg 3, Cornell 2, Bance, Flynn, McFadden, Hopper, Sproule

Tasmania: Dodge 3, Quinn 2, Rainbird 2, Franks 2, Smith

BEST

NSW/ACT: Hopper, Bance, Himmelberg, Macreadie, Minogue, Marshall

Tasmania: Lovell, Gavralas, Hibberd, Donnellan, Rainbird, Hayden

Really AF? I reckon this is the year to do stick with kids. Have a young group of emerging mids together for three to four years. The expansion teams have been gifted the pick of the litter to dominate in the next few years so now, for mine, is the time to be long sighted.

I agree with this...

I reckon it will depend on who's available, but I'd say PR will want to get another one or two really good players in that 22-24 age bracket.
  • Like 1

I reckon it will depend on who's available, but I'd say PR will want to get another one or two really good players in that 22-24 age bracket.

To hand over a top 7 pick in this draft you'd want something seriously good. I don't even know if Coniglio would cut it. The top end has performed light years better than everyone last year bar Petracca and Daniel. I'd be asking for a Patton for a top 7 pick, maybe aish and a second rounder, Kavanagh and the Dons 1st and 2nd rounder, JPK, I really am lost for players that might spring up here. Maybe 2-3 of GWS' second tier players (Buntine, Plowman, ???) but you'd need to play hard ball because after the first 7 - it's all pretty even after that - luck and development because there isn't depth.

• Like 1

Can only think Jake's injured at the moment. Hasn't been played for VC and hasn't been named for Dandenong this week.

Could be AGS commitments with Peninsula.

Friday's Division One games in Geelong will be shown live on Fox Footy Channel

Round 5

VC v SA - Friday June 26, 12.35pm at Simonds Stadium

VM v WA - Friday June 26, 2.35pm at Simonds Stadium

I'm setting my Foxtel IQ to record the games, if for no other reason than that Simonds Stadium has suddenly become one of my favourite footy grounds.

• Like 7

The first National Championships game in the double header at Simmonds Stadium could be the decider. A win to the country boys will give them the cup.

Vic Country v South Australia

Friday 26 June, 2015, 12.35pm [Fox Footy Channel]

Simmonds Stadium

Vic Country

B: Bailey Rice Kieran Collins Brandon White

HB: Darcy Tucker Jacob Weitering Jarrod Berry

C: Tommy Glen Josh Dunkley David Mennen

HF: Jy Simpkin Josh Schache Will Brodie

F: Ben Ainsworth Harry McKay Darcy Parish

FOLL: Gach Nyuon Rhys Mathieson Tom Cole

I/C: Matthew Johnston Yestin Eades Nash Holmes Joe Maishman Christian Buykx-Smith Tom Doedee Kurt Mutimer

South Australia

B: Justin Evans Harrison Westhoff Jack Agostino

HB: Andy Georgeson Luke Surman Riley Bonner

C: Wayne Milera Will Snelling Brendan Dew

HF: Isaya McKenzie Matthew Allen Luke Partington

F: Mark Quinn Peter Ladhams Jaydn Brind

FOLL: Andre Parella Aaron Francis Hugh Haysman

I/C: Stephen Tahana Jonty Scharenberg Will Combe Mason Redman Maris Olekalns Oleg Markov Peter Bampton

IN: Maris Olekalns Peter Bampton Oleg Markov Andy Georgeson, Mark Quinn, Isaya McKenzie Jonty Scharenberg Mason Redman

OUT: Kyle Presbury Jordan Dawson Luke Hoare Jack Graham Matthew Nunn Campbell Wildman (all on rotation)

Croweater catch-up: Will Snelling

Possible No.1 draft pick Schache keen to 'finish off' his late dad's work at Brisbane

• Like 1

The second National Championships game at Simmonds Stadium - at this stage only the Vic Metro team is available:

Vic Metro v Western Australia

Friday 26 June, 2015, 2.35pm [Fox Footy Channel]

Simmonds Stadium

Vic Metro

B: Alex Morgan Jack Firns Daniel Beddison

HB: Tom Phillips Harry Thompson Tyrone Leonardis

C: Theo Thompson Ryan Clarke James Parsons

HF: Matthew Perry Callum Moore Ben Crocker

F: Hasham Kerbatieh Jack Silvagni Harley Balic

FOLL: Jarrad Smith Nick O'Kearney Jade Gresham

I/C: Jayden Collins Brayden Fiorini Bryce Batty David Cunningham

EMG: Fraser Pearce Jordan Gallucci Blake Hardwick

2015 Draft Profile: Harley Balic

From media reports I heard he pronounces his name as Shack.

• Like 1

I watched both games on foxtel and without giving a full report on rhe games the players to standout were:

Schache and Weitering were a class above the rest in my opinion.

Weitering has bucket hands and reads the play like Harry Taylor.

Schache is a Travis Cloke type, however he is a beautiful and accurate kick.

Of the rest Mathieson was the best of the on-ballers and would be a good get. More an inside player but hard as nails.

Tucker was pretty good down back and got plenty of the ball.

Parish was a disappointment and had no real impact.

McKay is a big bodies type who is fairly new to the game. He impressed the foxtel commentators and looked a good prospect.

Rice and Collins also did some good things down back.

For SA Partington started well but faded. Francis tried hard and will be a player but turned the ball over at critical times. Their captain Snelling was very good but is only 176cm. Caleb Daniel that the doggies drafted last year was far more impressive than any of the South Australians this year

For Vic Metro O'Kearney and Moore impressed. Balic did not standout and on this performance is behind the VC kids such as Mathieson.

For WA I thought the player to standout was Callum Ah Chee. He will be a classy player at AFL Level.

• Like 2