• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Delistings/trades at end of the season

send your ticket, cut in 2, to the AFL. if enough do this, they will start to take heed.

But that would be another waste of money.

70 cents on the Dees at present is a bridge too far.

The boys club at work!

the issue is the people who want to "run", who want to hop into the drivers seat of this club & steer... the arrogance is from business successes.

"step back people", "I'll run this ship; I'm a successful business man" ! "I know what I'm doing, I'm a success"...

..........oh, he's right step back & let him at it... step back people!!!

"vote for me, I'll fix things".

............ well, guess what, we aren't a business, we are a footy club, one that needs supporters, members, & help from the people to survive...

& It most certainly does NOT need arrogance. OR self protectionism. so let the people in, stop treating them like 'lepers',,, & give them equal say, & touch!

out with political correctness, & false niceties...... Smithy's still turning uncomfortably.

open the FCUK up & let them IN !

So that would be the private school type boys club culture I have been speaking about then. Thanks for clearing it up.

why narrow it down to such tight restrictive language, which only serves to miss the real issues. its not demographics, its attitudinal. its not all boys club, that is a small part.

• Like 1

why narrow it down to such tight restrictive language, which only serves to miss the real issues. its not demographics, its attitudinal. its not all boys club, that is a small part.

That is true Deeluded, and apparent in players like Hannebery who came from Xavs.

It's more about the kind of player we were going for - choir boys, who for the most part seemed to come from the private school system. And that was clearly a massive fail in the arse, when we ignored players like Darling and Martin.

We have very different memories of Davey then

yes, after I find something i like about a player, I try to find the bits I don't see through the romance,,, so I can then see the whole footballers image.

.... this is why I didn't see the big like about scully. couldn't understand it, he was a manic athlete & that's about it, but I didn't trust myself over & beyond experienced people, who have watched U-18's for years, as a career.

as I learn, i start to believe more.

Just putting it out there while his value is high, trade Tom McDonald for say Adam Treloar?

Before you get howled down, McDonald and our first rounder for Treloar and Prestia?

Edit: I'd rather we kept McDonald, but it's an interesting scenario.

Edit 2: Obviously would be separate trades.

Edited by Django

That is true Deeluded, and apparent in players like Hannebery who came from Xavs.

It's more about the kind of player we were going for - choir boys, who for the most part seemed to come from the private school system. And that was clearly a massive fail in the arse, when we ignored players like Darling and Martin.

the problems start from our club wanting to hide behind Castle walls..

we are a club who has lost its outside support base to an enormous extent, & those left hanging on mainly won't let go for fear... we are a culture dominated by fear,,, essentially; evidenced by wanting to feel secure behind the locked gates & fences.

this culture has grown & become the subtle but overbearing value that hurts us by doing everything with nice P's & Q's

We we won't stand up to anyone with fight, but when a legend flattens one of ours, we'll scream 'blue murder', like the biggest whingers about...

we are getting what we fight for; or Not !

we are soft because we aspire to be soft. this is the nature of those gates & fences... self protectionism.

we are dying, not from other clubs, but by our own fear, & by being the King of the Castle. except in today's footy world, we aren't the only King.

I am not narrowing it down to demographics, what I said was "So that would be the private school TYPE boys club culture" note the 'type'. Drawing parallels to what it was like, not what it was, although there is some of the private school boys club thrown in for good measure.

It all points to the attitude, from someone who has seen how the private school boys club works from all angles I can say that it is like what was going on at the club, even down to the example you portray.

I also disagree with you about the club not being a business, that is what it is and what it must be to survive. The key is to put the right people in because they know what they are doing, not because they know the right people. PJ fits that bill as he has run a successful club as a business before.

Edited by Chris

Just putting it out there while his value is high, trade Tom McDonald for say Adam Treloar?

I think that is absolutely crazy. This guy was AA a few weeks ago, so we know he can play.

And Oscar says hello .

We need to go all out for Trealor. ANB, Stretch etc need more time to develop - but should be good. Riley and Mitchie unlikely to improve enough to be top players - but stranger things have happenned, Newton??. But give them a chance over the remainder of the season. Need more games in Harmes. Salem could be a star - but needs to get games under his belt.

Trealor would give us an instant lift.

We also have Trengove and Petracca to come in next year - basically new recruits. Should give the mid and forward area an immediate lift with some injury and form luck.

We also will have Frost back - basically a new recruit - could play CHB and free up McDonald for a forward role without to much compromis to the backline.

Kent will also be basically a new recruit next year - looked like having a breakout season early on!!!!!!!! He has pace, strength and power and will be a big boost up forward - if injury free!!!

Salem by the time he gets back in the seniors will have missed around 11+ weeks - should be a bonus next year.

Another scenario however is to get a mid FA next year and pick up a tall KPP with our first rounder. Picking say a Stanton may be a risk with the WADA issue still to be resolved.

• Like 1

I am not narrowing it down to demographics, what I said was "So that would be the private school TYPE boys club culture" note the 'type'. Drawing parallels to what it was like, not what it was, although there is some of the private school boys club thrown in for good measure.

It all points to the attitude, from someone who has seen how the private school boys club works from all angles I can say that it is like what was going on at the club, even down to the example you portray.

I also disagree with you about the club not being a business, that is what it is and what it must be to survive. The key is to put the right people in because they know what they are doing, not because they know the right people. PJ fits that bill as he has run a successful club as a business before.

No, its a footy club first, which is at the elite level, so it has to treat its patrons to footy club hospitality, to get the support from the patrons.

...... after this, the club being so big, needs to be managed, football wise, supporter base wise, & memberships as well; & the revenues need to be managed, & the clubs attributes sold to raise revenues.

so the people side, needs to be run for the people/supporters & members... access is critical for continued support (what the club can give to its supporters to get them to become regular membership holders) not raise that dreaded drawbridge on them.

treat the supporters well & equally, & loyalty will be returned. happiness from being in touch with your idols & club, should happen, & memberships should then follow.

these to me are very basic steps, that we've lost over the last couple of decades. & I'm not surprised that finally the numbers are dwindling at attendances, & TV viewing as well.

the League has distanced itself from its grass roots supporter base, & angered stake holders such as VFL supporters, etc.

the League has been trashing the game at lower levels, like the VFL,,, using it as a playground for the draftees to practice non-winning strategies (not try to win at VFL but to learn tactics & skills).

....... this kills the VFL competition, & kills the VFL supporters, & disgusts AFL supporters like me, witnessing the AFL treat footy people so appallingly. the people that come out to spend their time & money to watch, or the volunteers at clubs who spend their heartfelt efforts, only to receive this crap treatment.

the game, sorry, the AFL has moved too far away from treating it as a sports-game for followers, & tries to make it something pretentious.

....... this IS where they have gone wrong!

the people are speaking thru disappointment, at home in front of the teve; & by non attendances.

No, its a footy club first, which is at the elite level, so it has to treat its patrons to footy club hospitality, to get the support from the patrons.

...... after this, the club being so big, needs to be managed, football wise, supporter base wise, & memberships as well; & the revenues need to be managed, & the clubs attributes sold to raise revenues.

so the people side, needs to be run for the people/supporters & members... access is critical for continued support (what the club can give to its supporters to get them to become regular membership holders) not raise that dreaded drawbridge on them.

treat the supporters well & equally, & loyalty will be returned. happiness from being in touch with your idols & club, should happen, & memberships should then follow.

these to me are very basic steps, that we've lost over the last couple of decades. & I'm not surprised that finally the numbers are dwindling at attendances, & TV viewing as well.

the League has distanced itself from its grass roots supporter base, & angered stake holders such as VFL supporters, etc.

the League has been trashing the game at lower levels, like the VFL,,, using it as a playground for the draftees to practice non-winning strategies (not try to win at VFL but to learn tactics & skills).

....... this kills the VFL competition, & kills the VFL supporters, & disgusts AFL supporters like me, witnessing the AFL treat footy people so appallingly. the people that come out to spend their time & money to watch, or the volunteers at clubs who spend their heartfelt efforts, only to receive this crap treatment.

the game, sorry, the AFL has moved too far away from treating it as a sports-game for followers, & tries to make it something pretentious.

....... this IS where they have gone wrong!

the people are speaking thru disappointment, at home in front of the teve; & by non attendances.

So it is a business that needs to look after its customers (us) in order to be successful and we both agree that the club in the past and the AFL haven't been very good at that. PJ is getting better at this but the supporters should not be running the club and should have no more say than your average shareholder in how the club is run. It is still about the bottom line and everything you have listed affects that and if managed well keeps everyone happy and makes the club survive.

Not only is an AFL club a business it is a big business with a turn over of many millions.

So it is a business that needs to look after its customers (us) in order to be successful and we both agree that the club in the past and the AFL haven't been very good at that. PJ is getting better at this but the supporters should not be running the club and should have no more say than your average shareholder in how the club is run. It is still about the bottom line and everything you have listed affects that and if managed well keeps everyone happy and makes the club survive.

Not only is an AFL club a business it is a big business with a turn over of many millions.

your missing the point, I think. support is emotional, & requires the senses are stroked. that is, that we see, hear, feel, smell, touch, the things we need to belong to. we need the connection that comes from talking to, shaking hands with, having discussion with our idols.

.......... we need to feel the players belong to us, as much as we belong to the club. since the Northern stand was built, the last the last little bit of matchday closeness we had, was removed in the design of that stand.

the quarter time huddles are nowhere near thew supporters, but only serve the MCC members area, the kids can't get near the players in the players-race, as it is now within the MCC en close ure. can't get to the rooms after Wins anymore.

.......all in all, the people have been royally shafted, since that monstrosity Ate the 'smokers stand'.

Edited by dee-luded

your missing the point, I think. support is emotional, & requires the senses are stroked. that is, that we see, hear, feel, smell, touch, the things we need to belong to. we need the connection that comes from talking to, shaking hands with, having discussion with our idols.

.......... we need to feel the players belong to us, as much as we belong to the club. since the Northern stand was built, the last the last little bit of matchday closeness we had, was removed in the design of that stand.

the quarter time huddles are nowhere near thew supporters, but only serve the MCC members area, the kids can't get near the players in the players-race, as it is now within the MCC en close ure. can't get to the rooms after Wins anymore.

.......all in all, the people have been royally shafted, since that monstrosity Ate the 'smokers stand'.

I agree with what you are saying and think we need all of that. I just put it in a business context. For the club to be successful as a business we need to provide those things because if we don't then the supporters lose that connection and the club loses money and doesn't survive. The AFL are slowly waking up to this and the club is now in hands I trust to start bringing these things back.

It is the same with people selling things, if you look at cars people have a emotional irrational connection to certain brands. The brand will do what ever they can to keep that connection, all for the bottom line.

It is a step to take to realise that you are a customer but it is the way it is and needs to be for the club to survive.

Simply stated a fact olisik.

Is there something wrong with that?

No issue from my end. The AFL on the other hand....

Anyway let's save this topic for another thread if someone makes one. My bad for derailment.

39 possessions with good ball movement is something no MFC player has done in years. We need more accumulators like this!

dee laudinum is the only one that makes sense tonight,which is a personal worry.