Training - Thursday 16th April, 2015

The Devil Inside

Among the films that left me with enduring impressions from the 60's and 70's were:

Wages of Fear

Juliet of the Spirits

8 1/2

La Grande Bouffe

Lawrence of Arabia

Mutiny on the Bounty (Marlon Brando)

How the West Was Won

A Hard Days Night

Forbidden Planet

Day the Earth Stood Still

Earth vs the Flying Saucers

The Wild Bunch

Images & Nashville (Altman)

I was a regular at the Trak Cinema Friday night "Supper shows" back in the early 70's... pre Valhalla, they were showing the best of the non mainstream cinema available at the time.

Of those Lawrence was visually spectacular.

Earth vs - scared the crap out of me but very 50's

What do you think of Peter Greenaways films like The Cook the Thief his Wife and her Lover or Prospero's Books?

• Like 1

Peter Greenaway, was great, but later "The cook..." was 1989. His "Drowning by numbers" a highpoint in British Art house.

Was a big fan of the Spaghetti Westerns back then, Sergio Leone was another unrated artist...

nSh1cfKSmlrLW.gif

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

What do you think of Peter Greenaways films like The Cook the Thief his Wife and her Lover or Prospero's Books?

Hard to get the head around, but definitely interesting in the mood they create... I like him more for Michael Nyman's soundtracks. Belly of an Architect, Draughtmans Contract and A Zed and Two Noughts were others that were rather inaccessible for me.

Peter Greenaway, was great, but later "The cook..." was 1989. His "Drowning by numbers" a highpoint in British Art house.

Was a big fan of the Spaghetti Westerns back then, Sergio Leone was another unrated artist...

nSh1cfKSmlrLW.gif

"Drowning by Numbers" had one of the best made-up games of all time - "Hangman's Cricket". Up there with Quidditch and Vaccination (from The Accidental Tourist)

• Like 1

2001 didn't do it for me, but Tarkovsky's Solaris did - and the very impressive statuesque Natalya Bondarchuk introduced it at the Australian premiere. They were great times...

And on the subject of Zefirelli et al, has anybody seen the Kosintsev Shakespeares? Seriously good cinema, also from that period.

Some on here would have enjoyed Jean Eustache's Mother and the [censored] in 1971, too, I bet. Another great movie, with maybe Jean-Pierre Leaud's greatest role.

Memories of fun times, when you could see Donny Williams with a pie and a [censored] in the outer during the Reserves. And down to the Dental Hospital for the late show with Renoir, Truffaut, Eisenstein, all the classics. Dreamed of one day somehow (my mates thought I was insane) owning a projector and a couple of really special movies that I could watch at home whenever I wanted to...

• Like 1

2001 didn't do it for me, but Tarkovsky's Solaris did - and the very impressive statuesque Natalya Bondarchuk introduced it at the Australian premiere. They were great times...

And on the subject of Zefirelli et al, has anybody seen the Kosintsev Shakespeares? Seriously good cinema, also from that period.

Some on here would have enjoyed Jean Eustache's Mother and the [censored] in 1971, too, I bet. Another great movie, with maybe Jean-Pierre Leaud's greatest role.

Memories of fun times, when you could see Donny Williams with a pie and a [censored] in the outer during the Reserves. And down to the Dental Hospital for the late show with Renoir, Truffaut, Eisenstein, all the classics. Dreamed of one day somehow (my mates thought I was insane) owning a projector and a couple of really special movies that I could watch at home whenever I wanted to...

wow! more censorship today than there was then!

putain, in French, I suppose. More like 1972 or 3, too. Great movie. David Stratton had oddly enough never heard of it when I requested it on SBS years later, but he got it and put it on and said very nice things about the movie introducing it. Not well enough known - but on initial release it ran for weeks at the old Playbox in Russell St.

It nailed the late 60's self-absorbed and earnest non-stop philosophising scene - if you were a lefty and screwed around, you're in that movie. Absolutely nailed it - very funny, very recognisable. Brilliantly done.

Edited by robbiefrom13

"Drowning by Numbers" had one of the best made-up games of all time - "Hangman's Cricket". Up there with Quidditch and Vaccination (from The Accidental Tourist)

Hard to get the head around, but definitely interesting in the mood they create... I like him more for Michael Nyman's soundtracks. Belly of an Architect, Draughtmans Contract and A Zed and Two Noughts were others that were rather inaccessible for me.

I've always had a problem with Greenaway's films. 'Cook...thief' was the high point for me, but he descended into pretentious self awareness rapidly after that. Heard him interviewed a few years ago when viewing a video installation piece he'd made of the last supper (of all things), which I enjoyed. His interview on the other hand would suggest he is a monumental tool, or has become one. He dismissed cinema as a waste of time, and proceeded to outline why he was above it. His latter films certainly reflect it, no matter how many Ewan McGregor and Toni Collette genital reveals they have! Other opinions are available of course :)

• Like 1

That just reminded me of something from my dim darl past. I used to do salaries for the repat hospital at Heidelberg back in the 70's and on the list there were the following three names: Hardstaff, Kink and Kong. (I guess you had to be there).

Sorry, I just thought I would provide a distraction from the training element in this thread.

i once worked with a guy named crapp who married a pizzey.......true

I went to school with a guy name Pizzey who had a really bad stutter... wonder if they were related.

well, in the 60's a ffag was a cigarette...

In fact it was the name of a candy cigarette... there were Fags and Big Boss Cigars.

Ah FINALLY a Peter Greenaway fan! A Demonlander with superb taste in Cinema!
  • Like 1

and a gaytime was something you sucked....................oh wait

Gaytime-Multipack1837-611560.png

At my place we call these Thorpies.

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 3

in the 50's when I was in Primary School, my dad used to send me to the milkbar to buy his Rothmans. No worries, son - here you go...

And then we'd get a pack of those white lolly sticks with red tips, given to us by our grandparents and so on, at Christmas - we'd swagger around the joint (censored?) sucking away...

Edited by robbiefrom13

Once upon a time in the West - ?

Rosemary's Baby - must re watch this.

Then watch 2001 it is magnificent by comparison. A benchmark in cinema.

Just back from a Blockbuster clearance sale with Rosemary's Baby, A Prophet, The Philadelphia Story, West Side Story, Edward Scissorhands, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.

Once Upon a Time in the West is a magnificent Western, and Leone's Once Upon a Time in America at least as good. I'd rate them both above 2001, which looks great but is treacle-paced - although Hal is one of the great movie characters.

in the 50's when I was in Primary School, my dad used to send me to the milkbar to buy his Rothmans. No worries, son - here you go...

And then we'd get a pack of those white lolly sticks with red tips, given to us by our grandparents and so on, at Christmas - we'd swagger around the joint (censored?) sucking away...

You mean these (which I mentioned above)?

50431e23a86de72ab1e39acf306477ca.jpg

• Like 1

Just back from a Blockbuster clearance sale with Rosemary's Baby, A Prophet, The Philadelphia Story, West Side Story, Edward Scissorhands, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.

Once Upon a Time in the West is a magnificent Western, and Leone's Once Upon a Time in America at least as good. I'd rate them both above 2001, which looks great but is treacle-paced - although Hal is one of the great movie characters.

Well ET, it looks like you have something to watch other than footy tomorrow.

Once Upon a Time in America is on my to do list.

I work with a pizzey. I have many nicknames I use in the privacy of my own office, none that would make it past the Demonland censor