When will Melbourne break these embarrassing records?

praha

Next week a ripping chance to knock another two off the list.

We play our best football against sides between 5th and 14th on the ladder. When we hit the top 4 sides we wilt, when we play bottom 4 sides we buckle under the pressure of expectation. North is right in the bracket of sides I like us playing against (ditto Bulldogs and GWS, when we get to play them).

I've had some sneaky confidence going into our wins big and small this year. Not next week. For me, the Roos are our true bogey team.

Next week a ripping chance to knock another two off the list.

We play our best football against sides between 5th and 14th on the ladder. When we hit the top 4 sides we wilt, when we play bottom 4 sides we buckle under the pressure of expectation. North is right in the bracket of sides I like us playing against (ditto Bulldogs and GWS, when we get to play them).

If only it were at Etihad, eh? Could have sank three of them at once.

• Like 2

Just noticed a couple more we've broken this year:

Win a game in July (broken in Round 16 vs Brisbane) - we'd lost our last 16 games in July and the last win was Round 17, 2011 vs Port Adelaide (in Darwin).

Win a game in August (broken in Round 18 vs Collingwood) - we'd lost our last 10 games in August and the last win was Round 21, 2012 vs GWS.

• Like 3

Just noticed a couple more we've broken this year:

Win a game in July (broken in Round 16 vs Brisbane) - we'd lost our last 16 games in July and the last win was Round 17, 2011 vs Port Adelaide (in Darwin).

Win a game in August (broken in Round 18 vs Collingwood) - we'd lost our last 10 games in August and the last win was Round 21, 2012 vs GWS.

Please, for the love of God stop! ....

• Like 1

Do these count on the 'break embarrassing records' list:

- First win over Pies since 2007!

- Collingwood records its lowest score against Melbourne since 1988!

- Contrasting crowds: "Saturday’s crowd of 37,894 at the MCG was the lowest between the two sides since round 17, 1997...It was a far cry from round 10 when a crowd of 66,120 watched the Dees and Pies play at the MCG".

Very nice to get a few up on the Pies!! :cool:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-08-03/the-demon-within-round-18

• Like 1

Do these count on the 'break embarrassing records' list:

- First win over Pies since 2007!

- Collingwood records its lowest score against Melbourne since 1988!

- Contrasting crowds: "Saturday’s crowd of 37,894 at the MCG was the lowest between the two sides since round 17, 1997...It was a far cry from round 10 when a crowd of 66,120 watched the Dees and Pies play at the MCG".

Very nice to get a few up on the Pies!! :cool:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-08-03/the-demon-within-round-18

Irrespective of the circumstances and the fact that it was a Collingwood home game, that attendance is a major disappointment given the AFL gave the game a traditional 2.10 pm Saturday timeslot. Supporters of both clubs just played into the hands of the AFL and particularly Channel 7 who we know prefer timeslots which fit in with their schedule. Can't blame the AFL for giving Channel 7 what they want when supporters don't turn up to what's meant to be the premium daytime slot.

Irrespective of the circumstances and the fact that it was a Collingwood home game, that attendance is a major disappointment given the AFL gave the game a traditional 2.10 pm Saturday timeslot. Supporters of both clubs just played into the hands of the AFL and particularly Channel 7 who we know prefer timeslots which fit in with their schedule. Can't blame the AFL for giving Channel 7 what they want when supporters don't turn up to what's meant to be the premium daytime slot.

This is a straw man one by the AFL

They Know by August the interest in the MFC will be low.

Then the result is we told you so.

It always gets back to the same thing winning games.

Had the Dees won against Essendrug and the Saints I and 20 000 more Dees supporters would have been there no matter what the day, time or weather.

• Like 1

This is a straw man one by the AFL

They Know by August the interest in the MFC will be low.

Then the result is we told you so.

It always gets back to the same thing winning games.

Had the Dees won against Essendrug and the Saints I and 20 000 more Dees supporters would have been there no matter what the day, time or weather.

Indeed. But it doesn't change the facts. However, because it was a Collingwood home game, I'm quite happy to blame them for the poor attendance.

• Like 1

Sorry but I think this is rubbish. And in any case it wasn't televised on Channel 7.

This is a Coll home game and their supporters get in for free unless they have 50000 supporters with those dodgy 2 or 3 game memberships. Probably more something like that.

Hawthorn Carlton had 25k on a Friday night and we had 23k against the Saints on a Sunday at 3:20pm.

Its not us who are the problem. But fans generally are sick of the AFL and their rigged fixturing.

Or maybe people didn't want to go because they didn't want to have racist shouted at them because they booed.

Sorry but I think this is rubbish. And in any case it wasn't televised on Channel 7.

This is a Coll home game and their supporters get in for free unless they have 50000 supporters with those dodgy 2 or 3 game memberships. Probably more something like that.

Hawthorn Carlton had 25k on a Friday night and we had 23k against the Saints on a Sunday at 3:20pm.

Its not us who are the problem. But fans generally are sick of the AFL and their rigged fixturing.

Or maybe people didn't want to go because they didn't want to have racist shouted at them because they booed.

Really didn't need that last line.

When someone boils down another's argument to an asinine level - you are essentially saying that the people who are on that side of the argument are asinine.

So to answer your underlying question - No, jnrmac, I don't think all people who 'boo' people/things are racist.

I think you've missed the point. Channel 7 doesn't want 2.10 Saturday games. That's why there are so few of them. The public complains about the non-traditional timeslots...and then don't turn up when a game with two Victorian teams is played at the MCG in the 2.10 pm Saturday slot.

• Like 1

If you choose not to go to the football because you'd like to boo Goodes (or any other player) but you fear being called a racist, then good riddance. The stadium will be better off without you.

• Like 1

The four records I can possibly see being broken this season.

1) Beating St.Kilda. We play them twice and while I doubt we'll beat them at Etihad, I would sincerely hope we could at least beat them at the G.

2) winning 2 in a row. We have a friendly fortnight in rounds 16 and 17, when we play Brisbane and St Kilda at the G. Both appear winnable on paper.

3) beating Collingwood. We play them twice, and given that the Pies are in re-build mode, we could beat them if we get them an off day.

4) winning at Etihad. While I can't see us beating the dogs in rd 20 and GWS in rd 23, we do play St Kilda at Etihad in rd 11, which could be winnable, depending on if St Kilda fall away by then.

Oh well at least I got point 3 right.

Still can't beat the Nick Reiwoldt football club.....

• 4 weeks later...

Three records up to be toppled this weekend:

Beat Fremantle
- Last win: Round 13, 2011 (6-game losing streak)

Beat a Ross Lyon-coached team
- Last win: Never (12-game losing streak)

Win in Perth
- Last win: Round 1, 2004 (12-game losing streak)

Beat a Ross Lyon-coached team
- Last win: Never (12-game losing streak)

Does this one really need to be broken?

He has been in the league for nine seasons and has never lost a game to Melbourne.
So yes. We need to beat a Ross Lyon-coached team, because, evidently, Lyon-coached teams tend to be the hardest to beat.
Edited by praha

• 2 weeks later...

We also created a new one for the lowest crowd at Etihad, but that one is on us, not the players

• Like 1