AFL Round Table on Fox

Toorak

Glad we got that sorted...improvement !!

Sarcasm aside...we only won 4 but were there abouts for 6-7 last season

To simply win 6/7 is but stepping across the street...big deal.

We need to more decisively beyond that..I.e 8-9...at least.

That demonstrates a betterment not just correcting what should have been.

What if we win 6-7 but are in the game for 8-9? Wouldn't that constitute an improvement? Reality is every team will have a couple of close losses every year.
  • Like 1

What if we win 6-7 but are in the game for 8-9? Wouldn't that constitute an improvement? Reality is every team will have a couple of close losses every year.

cute..lol

Dare I suggest wed just be on the same intersection...just a slightly higher corner ???

It would be an improvement. .arguably. Nothing to really write home about, well hardly. It might suggest we're making many of the same mistakes and tactical errors as well as fading still.

Point felt.. :)

"Expectation" is the key.

I reckon outside of the top 3 or 4 teams most are crud, just varying degrees. Even North are are good ordinary side imo, albeit better than most.

A comparison to other sides needs to be made to accurately evaluate what are reasonable "expectations".

Noble sentiment but I disagree

We need to hold onto key leadership players in Grimes & Garland. Secure Howe and trade in 2 more 100 game players in the trade period and secure a free agent.

Hopefully this will be the last year where we gift games to the kids to aid their development.

If all of the above is done then we can set some reasonable achievable expectations as a club. Not the silly ones being set around here.

A lot of posters point out the games we could've won last year, BUT that could be flipped around as we only won those 4 games by small margins.. What if we had of won none last year? We need to think about both sides of the equation.

6 wins seems realistic at this stage, hoping for more and being competitive whilst also scoring more (so at least we get some excitement out of our loses when they occur).

Go dees!

So you are a June boy like me nutbean.

Good luck with the dreamer nutbean this year.

I could do with being surprised.

PS I think the Logical OD killed the dreamer OD four years ago.

Sorry OD but the pedant in me cannot resist. June does not mean Gemini.

The last 10 days of June are not Gemini plus the last 10 days of May are. So you have a 50% chance of being right which is probably better than astrological predictions. Which I might add are a load of hokum.

• Like 2

Noble sentiment but I disagree

We need to hold onto key leadership players in Grimes & Garland. Secure Howe and trade in 2 more 100 game players in the trade period and secure a free agent.

Hopefully this will be the last year where we gift games to the kids to aid their development.

If all of the above is done then we can set some reasonable achievable expectations as a club. Not the silly ones being set around here.

Thanks, but I've no clue with what you're disagreeing with.

• Like 1

Sorry OD but the pedant in me cannot resist. June does not mean Gemini.

The last 10 days of June are not Gemini plus the last 10 days of May are. So you have a 50% chance of being right which is probably better than astrological predictions. Which I might add are a load of hokum.

Pedant all you like MD

Took the chance that he is in the two thirds of the month that qualifies him.

Thanks, but I've no clue with what you're disagreeing with.

"Expectation" is the key. :huh:

The "key" is build the foundations - then we can set some realistic club expectations. The real expectations we need to be setting for this year are 40K + membership & 35K average weekly crowds. Lets not put the chicken before the egg. But sadly, I have this feeling reading the thread many want it the other way around. I would say "show me the money" to become competitive then will come the results.

"Expectation" is the key. :huh:

The "key" is build the foundations - then we can set some realistic club expectations. The real expectations we need to be setting for this year are 40K + membership & 35K average weekly crowds. Lets not put the chicken before the egg. But sadly, I have this feeling reading the thread many want it the other way around. I would say "show me the money" to become competitive then will come the results.

Expectation on performance and the amount of wins to determine whether you consider a supporter realistic or not. Clubs are in the business of winning games of football. They exist for no other purpose.

I'm not really sure what you're on about, so we may be at cross purposes.

EDIT: obviously we're a club building from camp zero, that's not in question, but as I demonstrated earlier, the club has a more mature best 22 than many believe; and imo your overly pessimistic view isn't based on reality.

Edited by ProDee

Expectation on performance and the amount of wins to determine whether you consider a supporter realistic or not. Clubs are in the business of winning games of football. They exist for no other purpose.

I'm not really sure what you're on about, so we may be at cross purposes.

EDIT: obviously we're a club building from camp zero, that's not in question, but as I demonstrated earlier, the club has a more mature best 22 than many believe; and imo your overly pessimistic view isn't based on reality.

Not a problem. Go back to my point above, average age/age profile is no where near as important as games played. We are a long-way from the benchmark clubs at an average of 100 games per player.

So again on & off the field we are a few years away from setting "expectations" - but I concede with a good trade period, snag a free agent get games into the kids and I would move on that.

A lot of posters point out the games we could've won last year, BUT that could be flipped around as we only won those 4 games by small margins.. What if we had of won none last year? We need to think about both sides of the equation.

6 wins seems realistic at this stage, hoping for more and being competitive whilst also scoring more (so at least we get some excitement out of our loses when they occur).

Go dees!

That would be insane. We were leading in 9 games in the last quarter and you are saying 'what if we didn't win any?' Can't believe I am responding to this....

Six or seven, still going along hoping we win each game though, Roos needs another year

Not just Roos needs another year - our playing group needs more time/years. Its unfair to place expectations on a group that are coming from so far back and are so financially disadvantaged compared to other clubs.

The only expectations we need to set this year are 45K+ member & 35K+ average crowds. If we dont reach those expectations its near impossible for our team to get improved results.

Not a problem. Go back to my point above, average age/age profile is no where near as important as games played. We are a long-way from the benchmark clubs at an average of 100 games per player.

So again on & off the field we are a few years away from setting "expectations" - but I concede with a good trade period, snag a free agent get games into the kids and I would move on that.

Your "games played" theory has merit, but the back 6 holds enough experience and around the ball there's Jamar, N. Jones, Lamumba, Vince, Cross and Tyson. Tyson may only have 20 games, but he's a 4th year player which makes a difference.

So there's a seasoned back 6 and a very experienced first tier midfield.

You under value the maturity of our best 22.

Not just Roos needs another year - our playing group needs more time/years. Its unfair to place expectations on a group that are coming from so far back and are so financially disadvantaged compared to other clubs.

The only expectations we need to set this year are 45K+ member & 35K+ average crowds. If we dont reach those expectations its near impossible for our team to get improved results.

Only winning games will get the members up to 45k+

We don't have 3-5 years to nurture this side

We have already thrown the best part of a decade down the toilet

We need a huge effort from the playing group this year.

• Like 1

Your "games played" theory has merit, but the back 6 holds enough experience and around the ball there's Jamar, N. Jones, Lamumba, Vince, Cross and Tyson. Tyson may only have 20 games, but he's a 4th year player which makes a difference.

So there's a seasoned back 6 and a very experienced first tier midfield.

You under value the maturity of our best 22.

I dont undervalue maturity / age. I also agree we have the foundations. ie Jamar, N. Jones, Lamumba, Vince, Cross.

​Where we disagree is I dont put any expectations on a team until we have an average of 100 games per player or an approx team total of 2200. We have a way to go in development terms but that can be accelerated with smart trading & secure a free agent. ( 2 areas where in the past we have been struggling due to financial restrictions )

Only winning games will get the members up to 45k+

We don't have 3-5 years to nurture this side

We have already thrown the best part of a decade down the toilet

We need a huge effort from the playing group this year.

You have it the wrong way around - show me the 45K members then you will get the revenues to invest to get the results. Have the last 8-10 years taught you nothing? "Show me the money."

But I do concede a few wins will help but it wont get you competitive with the teams that count.

I dont undervalue maturity / age. I also agree we have the foundations. ie Jamar, N. Jones, Lamumba, Vince, Cross.

​Where we disagree is I dont put any expectations on a team until we have an average of 100 games per player or an approx team total of 2200. We have a way to go in development terms but that can be accelerated with smart trading & secure a free agent. ( 2 areas where in the past we have been struggling due to financial restrictions )

You have it the wrong way around - show me the 45K members then you will get the revenues to invest to get the results. Have the last 8-10 years taught you nothing? "Show me the money."

But I do concede a few wins will help but it wont get you competitive with the teams that count.

It's all part of the progression. I'm not going to wait until we have 100 games experience per player to start harnessing objectives.

If supporters don't have "expectations" they have nothing. If my expectations were 2-3 wins, like GWS a few years ago, I'd be content, because it would be based on reasonable data. But I will always have expectations.

​Where we disagree is I dont put any expectations on a team until we have an average of 100 games per player or an approx team total of 2200. We have a way to go in development terms but that can be accelerated with smart trading & secure a free agent. ( 2 areas where in the past we have been struggling due to financial restrictions ) [/size

People are not going to watch shite anymore. The last 8-10 years have taught me a lot. How not to sell a false dawn.

It's up to the players and the coaching staff to excite the fan base. Bring them out from behind the shadows,Make the supporter base proud again.

It is a Football Club we all support.

45K membership is only attainable with some solid wins.

PJ & Roos know this.

It's all part of the progression. I'm not going to wait until we have 100 games experience per player to start harnessing objectives.

If supporters don't have "expectations" they have nothing. If my expectations were 2-3 wins, like GWS a few years ago, I'd be content, because it would be based on reasonable data. But I will always have expectations.

Not a problem. Think we are a year away from setting expectations apart from membership numbers and average crowds PJ has set those targets - just for the record think he has set the target for where he expects us to finish next year. I have a feeling this trade period and free agency period is where we will make our move, 2 more hundred game players and a crack at a free agent - assuming we secure Garland & Grimes prior to trade period/free agency.

People are not going to watch shite anymore. The last 8-10 years have taught me a lot. How not to sell a false dawn.

It's up to the players and the coaching staff to excite the fan base. Bring them out from behind the shadows,Make the supporter base proud again.

It is a Football Club we all support.

45K membership is only attainable with some solid wins.

PJ & Roos know this.

What a load of absolute rubbish.

What a load of absolute rubbish.

what is going to bring 45k+ Membership numbers to the MFC without consistent victories?

Enlighten me.

Without wins on the board it is all hollow promises T&W

We have been through it over the last 9 years

• Like 1

what is going to bring 45k+ Membership numbers to the MFC without consistent victories?

Enlighten me.

Without wins on the board it is all hollow promises T&W

We have been through it over the last 9 years

The silence is deafening Sir!

I agree action not talk is what will get members to pay up.

I know. I am trying to work out T&W's logic

How my position can be read as absolute rubbish?

We have just had 9 years of the opposite train of thought.

The club ended up on its knees with life support.

I know. I am trying to work out T&W's logic

How my position can be read as absolute rubbish?

We have just had 9 years of the opposite train of thought.

The club ended up on its knees with life support.

Dear Statler & Waldorf

What part of "Show me the money" dont you understand?

Simple concept you ( MFC community ) invest the money then the footy department can get you the results you want.

If you haven't noticed costs are rising in Footy today - if you cant find ways to get your revenues up you wont last long in AFL footy today let alone consider being competitive on-field.

Wonder what PJ is talking all about this year? Membership targets and crowd targets! Ways we can build our brand, our culture, what we stand for!

Roos talking all about playing a more exciting crowd drawing brand of football - not setting expectations on wins and loses!

So - "Show me the money" then the results will come.

Dear Statler & Waldorf

What part of "Show me the money" dont you understand?

Simple concept you ( MFC community ) invest the money then the footy department can get you the results you want.

If you haven't noticed costs are rising in Footy today - if you cant find ways to get your revenues up you wont last long in AFL footy today let alone consider being competitive on-field.

Wonder what PJ is talking all about this year? Membership targets and crowd targets! Ways we can build our brand, our culture, what we stand for!

Roos talking all about playing a more exciting crowd drawing brand of football - not setting expectations on wins and loses!

So - "Show me the money" then the results will come.

We have lost 12,000 members over the last few years. Dropped off. GONE.

The only way we are going to get money from them again is when the football is entertaining with victories

This is the damage the previous regime has left us with

I know the costs rise each year. I know each club is always trying to better everyone else.

This is why PJ cut the staff numbers so more money could be directed at the Football Dept.

But we will not reach Membership Targets winning 2-3-4 games a year.

It is now up to the players. PJ & Roos have both said this

The Brand will grow. But we have to play winning football consistently so that the "lost" Members WANT to come back.

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 2