Melbourne v Fremantle @ Fremantle Oval - 5th March, 2015

Considering in past NAB games we come up against a top 4 team we have lost by 50+ points, I am very happy with the result tonight.

I was a little scared at half time considering we didn't kick a goal but the boys held there own in the 3rd and came back.

We could have kicked a couple of early goals in the first 5min of the last but we didn't so losing by 19 points isn't so bad considering it's only the NAB game.

All in all I am pretty happy!!

• Like 1

Grimes and the other Jones were just terrible.

Happy with Toumpas' effort to turn it around in the 2nd half, but he worryingly reminds me of Watts.

Newton looks good when he's got it.

Vanders too, although he skips leg day, though calves, once you see it you can't unsee it, you'll see...

Forward delivery and structure was spaghetti junction. Need to improve here more than anything.

Frost is the fastest man alive, Google it, it's fact.

Overall we weren't easy to beat which is a continuation of last year. We need to turn that into wins with better movement and efficiency going forward.

Edited by Deestroy All
  • Like 1

No he's terrible around contests and when under pressure. He plays without conviction and can't shrug or break a tackle. His strength was as a loose ball defender. He could read the play, intercept mark, link up and move the ball on. 2010 Jack Grimes and Cam Bruce (with support from Rivers and Frawley as talls) led teams a merry dance from half back. Those days are over now. He doesn't intercept well enough and doesn't have the marking or pace he used to have. So instead is a backwards sideways type of limited defensive value. As I said, I believe his body is very substandard for AFL. He can cover the distance but he can't impact the game.

It's a tough game and not everyone is durable. I believe if he's honest he'll retire at the end of this year aged 26. If the club is smart they might try and save his career by beefing him up and giving him a mental start in the VFL. But they should do it now not in 10 weeks time.

This may be seen as a massive overreaction for one NAB cup game but I've seen him train, play the intraclub and of course I've seen him play all of last year.

Every Demons supporter groans when he gets the ball: "Here comes another turnover".

Dont understand why Billy Stretch wasn't given a go today. He has been in impressive form over the summer and i would have rather him play then Matt Jones.

That's correct - you don't understand. The coaching staff does.

Some of the comments here you would think we list by 186 again.

Thought we were pretty good

It's Demonland remember

Personally even though we have a few ravers about him, I thought some of Tyson's options tonight were ordinary, he still got the ball but didn't use it well, probably just rust

I thought we did ok for a team that had that had a few new faces that had to gell and players such as Salem playing in new positions there wasn't anybody really horrible, posters will just go for their normal targets

I did point out that Vandenberg, after chatting to him and about him with the coaches, was a good pickup,

The reality is that we do have some extremely limited players in our bottom five. Their skill errors really cost us. Was the difference between us and freo who don't have the same drop off. They actually had a pretty good tema out there today

Thought we should some promise and admired our effort in the third after we looked like we were to be smashed at half time

Once we get rid of those bottom five and replace with watts, Viney, Vince and Howe we will look better

Oh and I am really confused about those bagging toumpas. Thought he got better as the game went on and he got used to the pace of the game. And unlike our bottom give he is not a turnover merchant

Toumpy suffers from what he isn't, but it was an ok performance.

I think Freo made as many bad mistakes as we did. Plenty of out on the fulls. There 3rd quarter was as bad as our 2nd. They'll be doubts on there bottom 5 from tonight.

The difference in the game was Pav (and Taberner) had moments of quality delivery. Hogan with delivery (3rd term) matched one of them kind of (if not on the scoreboard). We needed a bit longer spell of delivery to get the extra return to make up the 2 goals difference (remember they had a goal that shouldnt have counted).

Unfortunately for all that we were missing (Howe and Vince mainly, but as Viney, Watts) Freo were missing a few (not heaps more) but they do include the best player in the comp in Fyfe!

Watts would have made a big difference tonight. We missed his kicking.

With Hogan and Dawes both taking the two best defenders, this year will be Watts' best chance to have a decent season, assuming Dawes and Hogan remain injury free, Watts will be playing on the 3rd defender.

That was good. Missed the first but watched the entirety of Vanders' game which was pretty assured against a FReo team that looked a bit worried with our pressure.

The best bit was Vanders looked like playing a high HF role through the wing which suits him if he can't be given a full shot in the guts. I still don't want him playing forward but he did look pretty solid I will admit.

As for the team - I don't mind what they were doing out there - they were screwing up a bit but also getting Freo to do the same. Intensity is where it starts, execution is where it ends. Hopefully that is sharpened before GC.

Unfortunately, the execution by certain players won't be addressed by round 1. The same basic mistakes that I've seen at training and in past seasons, is still there to see. The names have pretty much been covered by others.

• Like 1

Not a single goal was kicked to one of the ends for 3 of the 4 quarters. What the...?

And it looked no more than a gentle maybe 2 goal breeze, although that could be deceiving. Jamar did a wonderful job of stuffing up one easy one.

Lower scoring and preseason game, but also the Rossy v Roosy effect of 2 solid defensive teams. Combine those factors and you don't need a lot of help stopping scoring.

One more thing - tonight was another win for our current recruiting staff - thank christ we finally got rid of Prendergastly.

While injuries and luck may play a part in how they do in the future, there's no doubt they have chosen well.

The Dom Tyson/Salem deal is looking like a sensational bit of wisdom.

Daniel Cross was a great mature buy at no cost and has already proved his value.

Frosty might be the best pick off all at No.21 or whatever given his athleticism and closing speed on the big forwards.

Harry O, injuring permitting, looks a really wise choice and could be mega reliable for the next 3-4 years.

Bert Newton looks like he wants to succeed and adds major depth to our midfield and we got him for virtually nothing.

But this year's real gem may yet be the rookie-listing of Vandenberg.

No-one would have taken him and he arrived with a bung shoulder - you have to be very gutsy to go for a mature-ager like that.

But with Petracca out all season, he could be our saviour as a medium forward.

Even if he does not make it, he's already shone he was worth rookie-listing.

• Like 2

Please Paul Roos, understand that Grimes Garland, McKenzie and Jamar have been showing us the same shite for years.

Those that remember any good games from these duds need to keep it in context with the players they were better than that day, whom we have already gotten rid of.

• Like 4

With Hogan and Dawes both taking the two best defenders, this year will be Watts' best chance to have a decent season, assuming Dawes and Hogan remain injury free, Watts will be playing on the 3rd defender.

I've seen Watts towelled by the 6th defender when playing alongside Jurrah/Green, Clark/Rivers, Dawes/Fitzpatrick it doesn't really matter. But he should have some midfielders getting it out. Half forward is all about work rate. If he wants the ball he'll find it. He doesn't have to do anything different to what vandenberg did tonight.

• Like 1

It's Demonland remember

Personally even though we have a few ravers about him, I thought some of Tyson's options tonight were ordinary, he still got the ball but didn't use it well, probably just rust

I thought we did ok for a team that had that had a few new faces that had to gell and players such as Salem playing in new positions there wasn't anybody really horrible, posters will just go for their normal targets

I did point out that Vandenberg, after chatting to him and about him with the coaches, was a good pickup,

It was a typical Tyson game, easily in our best, how strong is he over the ball through his hips a lot of Pendlebury about him.

It was a typical Tyson game, easily in our best, how strong is he over the ball through his hips a lot of Pendlebury about him.

He did make a bunch of mistakes though - the type of mistakes that Jordie, Grimes, Terlich etc get crucified for on this site. Obviously Tyson does a lot of great things also but he has a way to go to be considered a-grade

Please Paul Roos, understand that Grimes Garland, McKenzie and Jamar have been showing us the same shite for years.

Those that remember any good games from these duds need to keep it in context with the players they were better than that day, whom we have already gotten rid of.

Reckon that's very harsh Franky. Particularly on Garland.

• Like 2

thought Hogan was excellent and with AFL standard delivery would have had a field day.

Still he was a presence and got up the ground as a link man on occasions.

• Like 1

JKH is like that, some games he is cold and other games he is everywhere, like Adelaide last year 25 disposals, 1 goal, 5 marks.

You didn't mention Hogan?

ë

Yeah A bit of an oversight. He was good. He presents tirelessly all game. His best piece of play for me was when he crashed the pack and Kent roved it for a goal. Hogan was better when he pushed up to CHF as he got more clean ball. What I like is the passion he plays with. He gets angry when he doesn't take grab or misses a shot. He is determined. He will be a player. Anyone like Derrrrrrmot who expected he would come in rd 1 and kick ten was being unrealistic. He hasn't played footy in more than a year. He will hit his straps and when he does he will be hard to beat. When the supply to the forward line improves so will his score sheet

While Grimes, M Jones, Bail and Mckenzie are anywhere near the stating 22 you're not going anywhere as a football club. 6 wins max if those blokes are getting a game.

The pleasing thing is Newton & Vandenberg are already better players. Hopefully Brayshaw can displace another.

Jamar absolutely pathetic. He and Gawn both seem incapable of being a presence around the ground. Can't see either reaching double digit possessions so I'd get 22 games into Gawn. Missing a shot from 2m out to out your team in front should be the end of Jamar. We need to win anything we can and for an experience player to miss that was just pathetic.

• Like 1