Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match Day Experience - time to lift our game

Leoncelli_36

Essendon love to be in darkness. It's the only way they know how to operate. Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 2

I would focus more on the brand 'the Demons', rather than the name 'Melbourne'.

Gardiner and that CEO in about 2003 did this many years ago and it was an absolute failure.

There's a reason the Pies, the Hawks, the Blues and the Bombers all have many more supporters across the country than we do - and, ironically, probably within Melbourne too.

How many flags have the Pies won over the last 35 years? 2? How many members do they have right now? 63721 in January...even if 20000 are bulltish, it's still 40000 members. What do they do differently?

Pies, Hawks, less so Blues and Bummers - these teams have consistently won games (other than in their tanking years where the ultimate goal was well understood by all).

It has nothing to do whether they are called those names, or Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton or EssUndone.

IF we start winning more than losing you can rebrand us the bloody Fuchsias for all I care

And as for "match day experience", shut the bloody PA system off altogether and let fans chat amongst themselves. The blaring, poorly amplified music is a blight - just crap Vlad brought back from his frequent funded sojourns to the land of his love, the US.

IF they introduce 'music' after goals etc like in BB and 20/20 'cricket', then seriously I will go back to watching VFL or the Ammos.

No offence to anyone here that may be a part of the MFC cheer-squad, but i reckon we have one of the worst cheer squads in the AFL. Run by a bunch of nasty older woman who are typical footy nuffies. I had the displeasure of meeting them all two seasons ago when I tried to sit behind the goals, one nasty cow asks "are you a member, I quickly produced my MFC members card to which she replied "that's not a Cheer Squad membership!" ..i realize that it must have been an extreme inconvenience to her to have me occupy 1 of the vacant 40 odd seats in their area and try to give voice to their cause so I quickly left. No wonder we are such a disjointed supporter group. What ever happened to Angelo, the mohawk bloke who ran the 'Red Seat cheer squad' and the bloke who used to wear the Ricky Jackson #45 hoodie? That group seems to have disappeared.

First time poster, long time reader...

I feel I really need to jump to the defence of the cheer squad here as I think this is an unfair assessment of the current group. I truly hope that this experience was before it revamped in 2013, particularly if I'm one of "bunch of nasty older women" you refer to. (Geez man, I'm only 40 - I thought I was hiding it well!)

Since it was rebranded as The Demon Army we've worked bloody hard to improve just about everything. And let's be honest, it was previously a fairly lack-lustre group, struggling in what was an awful period for the MFC. The group now operates as a professional business, we're pushing 500 members, have a huge following on social media and are getting a totally different demographic (more kids down the front, more beers up the back). We never turn anyone away if they're a Melbourne supporter. And most importantly, we cheer even when we're losing miserably. We'll be freakin' awesome if we ever start winning! Both Collingwood and the Bulldogs have modelled their revamped cheer squads on ours.

I'm so sorry you were turned away in the past. Please try again some time. I promise you'll find some of us "nuffies" are quite socially acceptable. Or unacceptable, if the situation calls for it.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

I thought playing Hells Bells as the players came out was great. The crowd noise really began to lift but as soon as the club song suddenly took over just as they hit the banner it just seemed to die off pretty quickly. Sounded awful too they way it was done.

I personally would rather not have the club song played when they run out, save it for a win. Might make it more special.

Didn't mind the new LED screens on the boundary too. Looked good when we got a goal.

i still love the game OD

Just give me the Reserves Game before and turn OFF the music between quarters

So i can talk about what i have just seen to my dad or mates.

If i want music i will rock out to a niteclub

agreed swyl... some relative quiet during the breaks, for talk time & some good natured laughter.

What about we get a trumpeter in a red velvet jacket to play the club theme song before each home game?

plonk him out on the corner of Jolimomt terrace & Wellington pde pre games whistling dixie to the incoming visitors, til after the siren. :ph34r:

I thought playing Hells Bells as the players came out was great. The crowd noise really began to lift but as soon as the club song suddenly took over just as they hit the banner it just seemed to die off pretty quickly. Sounded awful too they way it was done.

I personally would rather not have the club song played when they run out, save it for a win. Might make it more special.

Didn't mind the new LED screens on the boundary too. Looked good when we got a goal.

Nah got to have the song for the kids. Hells Bells was ok, but didn't really blend in the song. Bells then trumpets? It's not really right. I'm not sure if there's a way to blend it in correctly.

Wouldn't mind if they turned the sound up on the Bells through the roof either. Get it pumping.

• Like 1

Nah got to have the song for the kids. Hells Bells was ok, but didn't really blend in the song. Bells then trumpets? It's not really right. I'm not sure if there's a way to blend it in correctly.

Wouldn't mind if they turned the sound up on the Bells through the roof either. Get it pumping.

That was pretty much my point. The way Bells went into the club song sounded terrible and the atmosphere just died.

Just need a way to work the two ideas together to really get the crowd up and about.

Maybe have the song when they go through the banner and then as the players huddle up before they go to position get AC/DC pumping up until the bounce?

• Like 1

Didn't mind the song but they need to blend it together better with the club song.

Love the electronic banner around the sideline, but the pinkish red Fujitsu one really hurt my eyes.

I thought today was our best effort at atmosphere build up for a long time. I actually turned to my friend at the start and said I genuinely feel pumped up now. Agree it was a bit weird how the club song just came on but I loved the bells and the song as we ran out. The screens around the ground were awesome and well used! At the end I liked how the screens said Game Over! I thought overall today was the most "whole experience" I've felt at a MFC game for a long time.

I vaguely remember reading an article a long time ago when we first were pushing into China that we were moving away from he Demons and using Melbourne more as demons were considered bad in Chinese culture. I remember being disgusted that we were dropping the demon for the chance at making money abroad

signs of giving up.. trading out 154 yrs of identity, for some administrators hope... where they had none, says they had no idea.

our future is in our past. our heritage & our origins are our strength.

we can play VFL games in the Sth-East, developing a following, and some at the 'G', when the interstate teams visit us; & some women of melbourne games, & some U-18 games

that should cover it.

I;'d like to see the players with a few dirty marks on their clobber, for once in their lives. the game has become too sterile.

Winning a game is all "the experience" most true footy fans are after. The hell with flashing lights, cheer leaders, "music".

I must say at times the flashing signs were distracting, especially the whiter ones, but IF it brings us $$$ then no real problem.

Just keep winning.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

Liked the bells before the song, but should have started earlier (like a warning that we're about to come out) and finished earlier (get the team song started before they run through).

He was in the cheer squad and started belting out "It's a Grand Old Flag" deep into the final quarter. Was great.

Does anyone know if that's an MFC official thing? Or just a fan?

• 2 months later...

I wanted to get my mind off the 41sec saga by bringing up a thought I had with a mate. I really like the Hells Bells at the start of the game but there's only one down side to it, it doesn't lead into our club song at all. So my suggestion is simple. Let's have Hells Bells as our entry song for home games, try to encourage the crowd to yell "hells bells" during the chorus.

I reckon it fits quite well with the club, I like the build up to it (although it's a bit drawn out), and I reckon it's a song to get your blood pumping going up to the bounce. We can even try to time it perfectly to lead into the bounce every time.

First argument against is obviously tradition, the fact of singing your team song pre match and post match if you win, but I no longer feel like the crowd cares enough about it. Play the song if we win, makes it mean more when it happens.

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

I wanted to get my mind off the 41sec saga by bringing up a thought I had with a mate. I really like the Hells Bells at the start of the game but there's only one down side to it, it doesn't lead into our club song at all. So my suggestion is simple. Let's have Hells Bells as our entry song for home games, try to encourage the crowd to yell "hells bells" during the chorus.

I reckon it fits quite well with the club, I like the build up to it (although it's a bit drawn out), and I reckon it's a song to get your blood pumping going up to the bounce. We can even try to time it perfectly to lead into the bounce every time.

First argument against is obviously tradition, the fact of singing your team song pre match and post match if you win, but I no longer feel like the crowd cares enough about it. Play the song if we win, makes it mean more when it happens.

I just reckon we pay a smart music producer/the chick from Pitch Perfect to mix Hells Bells and our song together. Start the trumpets of 'a grand old flag' coming through for a few beats and lead one in to another. I'm sure a creative type from demonland could have a go at it.

Anyone willing to have a go?

Etihad yesterday was abysmal. Particularly that stupid "make a noise" direction which appeared on the screen after Saints' goals.

I was with my brother (a St Kilda supporter). His response was "baaa".

It was more than abysmal.

From what I understand the idea of "match day experience" is to add some sort of appeal to the not so die hard supporters, to broaden the appeal of the game.

Well, my partner who can't really stand or understand footy came to the game with me, never been before mind you. I guess she thought she should have a look at a game in real time/real life and maybe support me through another MFC Etihad experience.

Of course she didn't enjoy the game and thought I should be quiet because we were in the middle of a bunch of Saint supporters. But when the music came on, the inane interviews, dance competition, make a noise "match day experience" her comment was something along the lines of "what is this pathetic BS all about".

When I explained "match day experience", she just laughed and said they had to be joking...

Edited by rjay
  • Like 4

I actually think our home games have the best "match day experience". It's minimal and Robbo is at least relevant in what he talks about to the game.

The Saints were shocking. Breaks in the game this Sunday were headache inducing. I'm not old, I enjoy going to loud music events, and I was in physical pain at the volume of the crap.

(If my friends didn't have a headache due to this, it was probably due to my complaining re: MDE)

At every ground in Australia, at every level of footy, spectators get to chat about the game etc. during the breaks - it has always been part of the MDE. I found it impossible to do so.

I've heard the arguments for this stuff and it usually rests on: "well some supporters will always show up, this is to get a different target population to the ground."

I honestly can't believe that the music, contests, and t-shirt guns brings anyone to the game. The saints announcers could have been throwing a kids birthday party [in fact they may have at some point].

Does anyone think it makes a difference to attendance?

Edited by pitchfork
  • Like 1