Time is up for some players

All the Jacks

I don't see Watts as an effective full forward in this team. He is not a contested marking beast and our disposal upfield is not good enough to utilise his talents.

I see Watts as a Jack Gunston type of player who will be a great converter when he can find space in the forward line and guys up the ground can actually hit him with a pass. Hogan and Watts could be a dangerous combination but our midfield will need to improve to allow this.

I'm not sure how Roos sees Watts but I suspect his trajectory would be similar to Gunston's in a decent side. He only needs a couple of shots at goal a week to be really dangerous. But putting him deep forward would be no value to either him or the side right now.

Gunston wins his own ball. Enough said.

• Like 2

Players I don't want to see again:

Watts (no physicality), Frawley(overpriced), McKenzie(incompetent), Blease(lair), Strauss(timidity), Nicholson( (can run, that's all),

Grimes (underachieved), Evans (stalled), Barry (no idea), Tapscott ( unidimensional ), jamar ( passed it ), Spencer ( can't mark ),

Bail ( poor disposal), M. Jones ( no impact), Fitzpatrick ( no progress).

Watts (no physicality), Frawley(overpriced), McKenzie(incompetent), Blease(lair), Strauss(timidity), Nicholson( (can run, that's all),

Grimes (underachieved), Evans (stalled), Barry (no idea), Tapscott ( unidimensional ), jamar ( passed it ), Spencer ( can't mark ),

Couldnt agree more same list I had end of last year and another season hasnt changed my mind

Though I would add Trengove to that list (Part of the problem)

• Like 2

I'd agree with all those though would give Jamar another year based on good form this year and lack of progress from other ruck stock Edited by nrc73

We will know we are going nowhere if Roos keeps him, that goes for Grimes as well. I know he didn't play but we have to raise the standard of footballers we bring to this club

I agree Roos decisions with Watts and Grimes will be the most interesting. Second year of coaching so pivotal. He's had a year on the inside to see things for himself. Third year hinges on decisions made now. Hope he's prepared to make bold moves.

• Like 2

Watts should play off half back, with stints on the wing. That's his shtick. I know we'd all love more, but for the moment, utilise his disposal and reading of the play off half back, when we desperately need it.

Totally agree AF.

We've tried him everywhere and not even the great Paul Roos has been able to transform that mentality of his.

The only value I see from him is if he plays that quarter back role which is where I believe he contributes the most.

It's a very distressing thing that he hasn't been able to improve any of his weaknesses. Physicality, gut running and urgency are still non-existent in his game.

What happens when his opponent drags him deep and forces him to defend one-on-one close to goal?

And will he peel off his man and go back with the flight of the footy to prevent an opposition forward marking on the lead (the way Jack Grimes would and Neville Jetta would)?

I can see him being a good attacking weapon off half back, but he could just as easily be exposed defensively.

He has again stuttered this year - some steps forward and lots of the same we have seen before.

If he strolls after the ball and man and jogs to contests as he did on Sunday there is no position on the ground you can hide him.

The most upsetting part for me is when he gets the ball in his hands something good happens - its all the other stuff that he doesn't do that I am finding increasingly hard to swallow.

• Like 2

He has again stuttered this year - some steps forward and lots of the same we have seen before.

If he strolls after the ball and man and jogs to contests as he did on Sunday there is no position on the ground you can hide him.

The most upsetting part for me is when he gets the ball in his hands something good happens - its all the other stuff that he doesn't do that I am finding increasingly hard to swallow.

Exactly.

When he gets the pill in his hands, I actually feel pretty relaxed because I know 9 times out of 10, he won't cough it up. It's just when you watch him float from contest to contest that you get angry. I almost fell out of my seat when he sprinted into that goal against Adelaide because it was so out of character.

He had a few weeks of relatively high intensity (for him) but he is back playing like he is in the schoolboy comp.

They mightn't get a swap for him but the club should put him up for trade to put the wind up him. We bent over backwards to keep him and this is how he rewards us.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

Totally agree AF.

We've tried him everywhere and not even the great Paul Roos has been able to transform that mentality of his.

The only value I see from him is if he plays that quarter back role which is where I believe he contributes the most.

It's a very distressing thing that he hasn't been able to improve any of his weaknesses. Physicality, gut running and urgency are still non-existent in his game.

I think now it's totally clear that Watts is not a forward. He just doesn't do enough up there, and he also doesn't add much when he has those stints on the ball. Sticking him on half back would make him more accountable and allow him to use his skills to better effect.

• Like 1

I'd agree with all those though would give Jamar another year based on good form this year and lack of progress from other ruck stock

Yep,the big fella gets another year and hopefully the "others" mature in that 18 months.

The toump,mmmmmm havent seen enough for me to make a decision as yet,Want to see a full season up and running.

When he gets the pill in his hands, I actually feel pretty relaxed because I know 9 times out of 10, he won't cough it up.

I will go one further - not only does he not cough it up, his first instinct is to look for line breaking disposals - the kick to JKH in the centre of the ground 60 metres away ( last quarter I think) that travelled 50 metres arrived to him on the bounce and JKH fumbled a bouncing ball was sublime in its audacity. He only chips sidewards and backwards when there is no obvious target up the field.

His commitment to get to contests on Sunday - ewwww.

What happens when his opponent drags him deep and forces him to defend one-on-one close to goal?

And will he peel off his man and go back with the flight of the footy to prevent an opposition forward marking on the lead (the way Jack Grimes would and Neville Jetta would)?

I can see him being a good attacking weapon off half back, but he could just as easily be exposed defensively.

Well, I guess it's a bit like Mackie at Geelong or even Josh Hunt when he was there. Pretty ordinary one-on-one, but because their team mates around them work so hard, they have been rarely exposed. Watts is a good height, so if the ball is in the air, I'd hope he gets a fist to it. You really have to back your players in unfortunately.

Totally agree AF.

I'd say he has improved, if only slightly, Steve. He's clearly a confidence player though and I've no doubt he is one of the players Roos is referring to RE: scars from the recent past. I feel like his work rate has improved, but his obvious lack of physicality is still a major impediment to further improvement.

• Like 1

Yep,the big fella gets another year and hopefully the "others" mature in that 18 months.

The toump,mmmmmm havent seen enough for me to make a decision as yet,Want to see a full season up and running.

Yep I'm a bit worried about Toumpas. Seems to be the multicultural ambassador, but every time I see, hear or notice social media communication from him, I can't help but think he's struggling significantly at an emotional level. On the surface it seems premature to trade him, but I get the feeling even now that a trade could be a win-win type situation. I know this is just an outside view, but I can't help but think he desperately needs support from family & friends, much like Dom Tyson has really benefited.

Can you trade a player that's a history of injuries? We'll we did with Dom and he's played most games this year.

Edited by nrc73
  • Like 1

Been away a while - didnt even know Toumpas was injured. You could imagine this period is trying on him, seeing some of his peers flying. Still he has the talent and I am optimistic his 3rd season will be a break out

I think the Toump will be OK. Most on this forum saw this year as a development year and without getting appendicitis reckon he would now be playing regularly in the firsts. Naturally he would be a bit [censored] at missing out at this stage of the year.

I would add I think he has been okay when he has played firsts this year, felt he was stiff a couple of times when he was dropped, players who did less retained their spot

• Like 3

Watts should play off half back, with stints on the wing. That's his shtick. I know we'd all love more, but for the moment, utilise his disposal and reading of the play off half back, when we desperately need it.

tried him there, he wouldn't get onto his bike & run & chase ! nor tackle, so he is is next to useless, without the desire for these things.

just a waste of a list spot & money.

Maybe we could employ him in the creche to entertain the kiddies.

kostym-klauna.jpg

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Ox-Time-for-Watts-to-move-on/71053

Ox believes Watts should move on at the end of the year.

Personally I'm not sure, I've always wanted him to succeed but he makes some decent points.

Discussed on here plenty of times but normally leads to childish comments ^.

Could anyone see Watts realistically being traded at eos?

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Ox-Time-for-Watts-to-move-on/71053

Ox believes Watts should move on at the end of the year.

Personally I'm not sure, I've always wanted him to succeed but he makes some decent points.

Discussed on here plenty of times but normally leads to childish comments ^.

Could anyone see Watts realistically being traded at eos?

christ I hope he is traded

let him be some other teams problem

Take the highest pick we can get for him and draft let Taylor and Roosy draft a real footballer (like they already have with Salem and JKH)

Edited by hogans_heroes

christ I hope he is traded

let him be some other teams problem

Take the highest pick we can get for him and draft let Taylor and Roosy draft a real footballer (like they already have with Salem and JKH)

I remember when he was drafted he was considered a long term project and 6 years was quoted. That's almost been and gone and just can't see him progressing any further with us.