Accuracy is its own reward

pitmaster

Sunday's (magnificent) scoreline was striking in its consistency with our other wins so I thought I'd update a post from a couple of weeks back...

In the three four games we have won our opponents have kicked an aggregate of 25 goals 49 behinds 35 goals 66 behinds while we have kicked an aggregate 37 goals 20 behinds 49 goals 26 in those wins.

It's 65% accuracy on our part against 34.5% accuracy on the opposition over the four games.

Their inaccuracy has left the door open for us, just as our 6.15 did for the Saints.

We are competitive and if the opposition is a little 'off' we can take them.

But relying on opposition inaccuracy for a win does not shape us as challengers to the top of the ladder sides, even though on any given day we are some sort of faint chance. And that's it this week: a faint moderate chance.

I am looking forward to the game when we totally dominate an opponent in every aspect of the game. We might have to wait until Hogan debuts though.

• Like 1

The opposition have kicked more goals than behinds in just three games of thirteen this year, including the first two. How did we get so lucky?

Its not a coincidence. Now Essendon did miss some gimme's but I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago and it still holds true. Taking the Eagles game out of the equation, there hasn't been too many easy hit up leads into our defensive 50. Roos has concentrated on two defensive aspects - firstly - our mids are pressuring the opposition ball carriers going into their forward line so there is not a great deal of unpressured entries. Secondly - we are now leaving very little space inside the corridor. I know that modern football does hug the boundary but so many opposition shots are coming in from 45 degrees or worse. Roos has mentioned that our team is making opposition take shots from difficult positions.

• Like 3

Spot on. Part of Roos defensive setups is the only positions we allow the opposition to mark inside their forward 50 are at awkward 45 degree angles, leading to inaccurate kicking. Very rarely this year have we gifted teams a set shot for goal directly in front. Basically comes down to flooding the center of their forward line with defenders prepared to spoil and disallow any clean marks.

The other game we should've won, against the Bulldogs, was only a loss because they got 4 or 5 freakish goals from tough angles. Every other team has struggled horribly.

• Like 1

Our defensive pressure is key here. From the very beginning of his tenure, that is what Roos said he would concentrate on in his first year. But I have to say I get tired of the scribes and commentators who keep saying that if ​they kicked straight the game would have been over a half time. The inescapable fact is that if a goal is kicked, the ball goes back to the centre for a bounce. A brand new play ensues and the circumstances become markedly different. Time spent in the forward 50 is certainly reflective of dominant possession, but to suggest it automatically should translate to the scoreboard is to ignore reality, that once a goal is kicked a different centre bounce set-up comes into play.

• Like 3

There is too much consistency inaccurate kicking against us. I think it is planning.

Looking at MFC Website ,the 1% category which indicates pressure (to me) showed that it was led by the 6 defenders.

May be a reason for their kicking.

Good pressure leads to perceived pressure.

the pressure and forcing rushed shots on goal definitely contributes to opposition high number of points.

I just keep thiking if only we could have been playing like this (current few weeks form) from the begining of the season.

I have no doubt we would have knocked off St Kilda, and possible GWS. West Coast i feel would have knocked us off.

Either way that could have put us 6 and 6.

I know its silly to think of the what ifs but im liking the improvement of our team and astually looking forward to games now with more then just "i hope we win" attitude..

• Like 1

I just keep thiking if only we could have been playing like this (current few weeks form) from the begining of the season.

The guru, Roos, did say that we should be judged after 7 rounds.

Damn, that boy is smart.

I have no doubt we would have knocked off St Kilda, and possible GWS. West Coast i feel would have knocked us off.

Either way that could have put us 6 and 6.

I know its silly to think of the what ifs but im liking the improvement of our team and astually looking forward to games now with more then just "i hope we win" attitude..

The Bulldogs was won that got away, too. We were right in that despite a leaky defence. Anyway, we get our chance in a couple of weeks to show them how it should have gone.

The Bulldogs was won that got away, too. We were right in that despite a leaky defence. Anyway, we get our chance in a couple of weeks to show them how it should have gone.

Bulldogs are good at Etihad. We aren't.

Hard to kick straight when you are coming down from your last hit of peptides and can see 5 sets of goal posts

Classic essendope

So what I thought anecdotally is written up in the age.

We are 5th worse in the comp for giving up inside 50's

We are the hardest to score against once inside our 50

We have given up the fewest goals of any side from within 15 metres

Limited opponent scoring accuracy to 53.8% inside the corridor - lowest in the AFL

Fifth best defense in the AFL

We are also forcing teams to kick from outside 50 - conceding 10 goals 27 points !

Roos said in the article "we put them in tough spots to score".

Thats half of it - we clog up the defense and our mids are working hard to pressure defensively.

It is no accident that teams are kicking inaccurately against us.

Sundays game. Richmond end. Melbourne 8 goals 0 points. City End 4 goals 6 points.

I was sitting down the Ponsford end and noticed the wind seemed tricky changing from west to south.

I can't remember the bummers but there kicking was bad all over the ground.

I was just amazed that we kicked 8 straight down the Richmond end. I can't remember any team doing that.

I think a lot of it is that Roos is insisting that we actually put our eyes down and try to hit a target. The plan entering the forward fifty from 2012 onwards was hug the boundary line and then try to bomb the ball on to Mitch Clark's head. If he failed to take a mark then one of our smalls was supposed to clean it up.

Sometimes you do need to kick to a pack if there is absolutely nothing on offer but we seem to be trying to kick to a leading forward more often than not these days.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert